2014-2015 Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm in a similar situation as you, but applied to 25 schools. Complete around the same time and only 2 IIs, from Jefferson and VCU. My committee letter wasn't received until July 31st, so that was the earliest that I was complete anywhere. No other emails including rejections/holds. My LizzyM is close to yours as well, ~69. I hope we don't have cause for nervousness yet. Still haven't heard from any of my in-state schools.

Just to be realistic, I'd be pretty happy to have 2 II's with that overall situation. I applied to 39 schools with a 73 LM, complete early-mid August and also have two II's. Iunno, I'm pretty grateful and not that worried.

Members don't see this ad.

Just to be realistic, I'd be pretty happy to have 2 II's with that overall situation. I applied to 39 schools with a 73 LM, complete early-mid August and also have two II's. Iunno, I'm pretty grateful and not that worried.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy and grateful to have 2 IIs. I'd be thrilled to attend either school. It's just that the long stretches of silence are difficult. For most of us here, it's easy to get ahead of ourselves in our heads - worrying about what might happen, etc.

Reactions: 2 users
-

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Still just 2 II's here. Wish I hadn't bombed the MCAT. Getting ready for long and painful reapp process.

Hey, it's still early. I think we'll be okay. Probably not a good idea to start worrying about reapplying until the spring.

Even the worse case scenario (re-applying) isn't really that bad. I'm a re-applicant, applied my first time last year as a college senior. I overestimated my competitiveness. Out of the 13 schools I applied to, I only got 2 interviews (both at my home state public schools which interviewed the majority of its IS applicants). As soon as I started to realize that maybe I wouldn't get in this cycle (around January), I started using the last 4-5 months I had before the next cycle began to start beefing up my application to address my weaknesses (primarily I shadowed way more). When this cycle began, I was much more focused, put in more effort on my secondaries, and turned in everything in a more timely manner.

So far this cycle I've gotten 8 II's, with 4 of them being from top 25 research places that rejected me last cycle. Even though I would have liked to have started med school by now, the chance to sit back and to reflect on what I truly want to do has been refreshing, and it feels nice to go into the cycle having already gone through it once and knowing that you're in it because you truly want it. Sure, the first few months sucked a little, and seeing your friends go through their white coat ceremonies did give me a tinge of envy, but there's no point in harboring those feelings for long. I'm happy with where I am for now, and happy that I've had the time to truly appreciate and to embrace the opportunities I have now.

EDIT: tl;dr version. Chin up, everyone! It ain't over til it's over, and even when it's over, it still ain't really over.

Reactions: 10 users
Even the worse case scenario (re-applying) isn't really that bad. I'm a re-applicant, applied my first time last year as a college senior. I overestimated my competitiveness. Out of the 13 schools I applied to, I only got 2 interviews (both at my home state public schools which interviewed the majority of its IS applicants). As soon as I started to realize that maybe I wouldn't get in this cycle (around January), I started using the last 4-5 months I had before the next cycle began to start beefing up my application to address my weaknesses (primarily I shadowed way more). When this cycle began, I was much more focused, put in more effort on my secondaries, and turned in everything in a more timely manner.

So far this cycle I've gotten 8 II's, with 4 of them being from top 25 research places that rejected me last cycle. Even though I would have liked to have started med school by now, the chance to sit back and to reflect on what I truly want to do has been refreshing, and it feels nice to go into the cycle having already gone through it once and knowing that you're in it because you truly want it. Sure, the first few months sucked a little, and seeing your friends go through their white coat ceremonies did give me a tinge of envy, but there's no point in harboring those feelings for long. I'm happy with where I am for now, and happy that I've had the time to truly appreciate and to embrace the opportunities I have now.

EDIT: tl;dr version. Chin up, everyone! It ain't over til it's over, and even when it's over, it still ain't really over.

May you tell us when you were completed the last cycle? And this cycle?

May you tell us when you were completed the last cycle? And this cycle?
Processing for my primary application was finished around mid August last cycle.
This cycle, my primary application was processed mid June.
Because I got a big haul of secondaries all around the same time last cycle (late August), some took longer than others to complete. I sat on some for several weeks. This cycle I completed every secondary generally within 5 days.

Reactions: 4 users
I applied to 25 schools, already rejected from one and have been placed on hold at two (one of them being a state school for me). I haven't received any interview invites, but it seems like everyone around me is. I already feel devastated and am not sure what exactly I did wrong. I have no idea what I would do with a gap year if I had to take one.

Reactions: 1 user
I applied to 25 schools, already rejected from one and have been placed on hold at two (one of them being a state school for me). I haven't received any interview invites, but it seems like everyone around me is. I already feel devastated and am not sure what exactly I did wrong. I have no idea what I would do with a gap year if I had to take one.
It's still very early and 25 schools is a lot of schools! In my mind, at this stage of the game, no response is better than outright rejection.

I know this is the panic thread, but try to keep calm! I'm not sure there is much you can do for this app cycle, aside from sit and wait to hear back from the remaining schools. That being said, you can start looking for activities that will bolster the weaker areas of your application if you do have to take a gap year.

You didn't say much about your application and I haven't lurked your profile, so I'll give a hypothetical example. If your app is a bit weak in terms of clinical experience, you can start looking for volunteer experiences or clinical jobs that don't require certifications to complete during your gap year. These activities would likely be beneficial if you get accepted somewhere this cycle or if you have to take a gap year.

Go over your app and see if there are any glaring weaknesses that you can start to address now, but try not to beat yourself up over it. Hopefully you'll hear good news from some of the other schools soon, but you can find new activities that will help improve your app long-term and act as a positive distraction in the short-term. Good luck!

Still just 2 II's here. Wish I hadn't bombed the MCAT. Getting ready for long and painful reapp process.
It only takes one and you've already got a good chance at acceptance. Why the crocodile tears?

This is (I believe) an accurate representation of myself (and many others) this year.
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1411394878.238429.jpg

Waiting is a terrible thing...feeling like you aren't going to make it is even more terrible...all I can do is sit back and wait

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
anyone else have a roommate applying to med schools?
it is the. most. stressful.
I'm that roommate (oops). My other roomies have yet to prepare for their MCAT's and they see me dying most of the time and it's making them question their intentions lol

I'm that roommate (oops). My other roomies have yet to prepare for their MCAT's and they see me dying most of the time and it's making them question their intentions lol
ahahahah encourage them!!
my roommate and i are both applying so there is always this awkward elephant in the room because we don't talk about it. but when they're missing for the day, i just assume they're at an interview
lawlzzzzzz #shouldhaveroomedwithaprelaw

but when they're missing for the day, i just assume they're at an interview
I've been watching Criminal Minds...my thought when I read this is that who's going to call the police when your roommate is truly missing??? #darkthoughts #enoughTVforme

I've been watching Criminal Minds...my thought when I read this is that who's going to call the police when your roommate is truly missing??? #darkthoughts #enoughTVforme
i will only worry if our other friends start to get worried...theyre non-premed so they're neutral ground so they hear from my roommate
good point though :p

ahahahah encourage them!!
my roommate and i are both applying so there is always this awkward elephant in the room because we don't talk about it. but when they're missing for the day, i just assume they're at an interview
lawlzzzzzz #shouldhaveroomedwithaprelaw

Imagine being in a smp-like program where everyone around you is applying to all the same places. And the classes are graded based on the relative performance of classmates....

Thank god I love my group of friends here and we aren't competitive with each other

Imagine being in a smp-like program where everyone around you is applying to all the same places. And the classes are graded based on the relative performance of classmates....
There is a name for that. Hunger game. :shifty:

Okay, I love Criminal Minds!!! I can understand how you feel when your roommates are late/don't return. Sadly for me, I am that roommate who is always gone and on the run (okay, I've got studying and interviewing). My roommates have me in a group message and let me know what they're doing and where they will be and vice versa.
My roommates are pre-med but they're younger than me (freshies and sophomores) and do not quite understand the pain I'm going through. I'm the one who lets them know what to expect and how to handle things :) (I have to give a lecture or two about skipping important classes...). So, at my apartment, there is no competing when it comes to applying; it's all me!

Okay, I love Criminal Minds!!! I can understand how you feel when your roommates are late/don't return. Sadly for me, I am that roommate who is always gone and on the run (okay, I've got studying and interviewing). My roommates have me in a group message and let me know what they're doing and where they will be and vice versa.
My roommates are pre-med but they're younger than me (freshies and sophomores) and do not quite understand the pain I'm going through. I'm the one who lets them know what to expect and how to handle things :) (I have to give a lecture or two about skipping important classes...). So, at my apartment, there is no competing when it comes to applying; it's all me!
A house of younger premeds??? I don't know how you feel, but working with a bunch of younger premeds can make me feel like I am part of a reality TV show based on the thread "Funny Quote from less-informed Premeds". I'm sure they appreciate having you there though.
Dr. Reid...Oh Dr. Reid...would love to pinch him.

Last edited:
anyone else have a roommate applying to med schools?
it is the. most. stressful.

Yep, one of my roommates is applying too. He's already been accepted to one of his DO schools. Though I didn't apply DO, I'm coming up on 3 straight weeks of silence... Blah.

A house of younger premeds??? I don't know how you feel, but working with a bunch of younger premeds can make me feel like I am part of a reality TV show based on the thread "Funny Quote from less-informed Premeds". I'm sure they appreciate having you there though.
Dr. Reed...Oh Dr. Reed...would love to pinch him.
I thought it was Dr. Reid? I've been a fan of the show since it started. I find Derek Morgan to be quite easy on the eyes ;D.

Where is that thread? Link? I have not seen it yet and I may have some to add! They really do appreciate me there but there's so much more they need to learn!

EDIT: I checked the official Criminal Minds CBS website and it is Dr. Spencer Reid

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought it was Dr. Reid? I've been a fan of the show since it started. I find Derek Morgan to be quite easy on the eyes ;D.

Where is that thread? Link? I have not seen it yet and I may have some to add! They really do appreciate me there but there's so much more they need to learn!

EDIT: I checked the official Criminal Minds CBS website and it is Dr. Spencer Reid
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/funny-quotes-from-less-informed-premeds.808486/
Yes Dr. Reid indeed. Derek is certainly an eye candy. But...Reid is....special.

Too early to panic. Panic when it's May or something.

Too early to panic. Panic when it's May or something.

Hey Mister, I will panic when I feel like panicking.

But really, keep talking. I only come to this thread to hear other people tell me it's going to be okay and interviews grow on trees.

Guys, emotional validating must just be the best thing people can offer each other. So go ahead panic everyone. Go crazy!

These classes and exams are scaring the shut out of me and making me panic...I want to do well

I'm sorry to hear the bad news! I'm scared myself because I do not want to be rejected myself :/
Hugs?

In early Sept. I applied to 15 MSTP programs, and so far I've got nothing but two rejections.

I know my application, and frankly 5 IIs and two acceptances would be a great result. So best case, I'll get 10 rejections. I also know that it's absurd to start panicking only three weeks after submitting.

And yet, these early rejections are making me so nervous!

becoming more grateful for my lone II....4 rejections,2 holds and silence from all others.

At what time is an actual.. legitimate.. time to start panicking about interviews (or lack there of)?

Am I the only one out here that is still sitting at zero interview invite? I have 6 rejections and 2 holds so far. At this point, I am even afraid to check emails for fear of another rejection. Am I done for this cycle? Looks like everyone is getting interviews except me.

Reactions: 3 users
Am I the only one out here that is still sitting at zero interview invite? I have 6 rejections and 2 holds so far. At this point, I am even afraid to check emails for fear of another rejection. Am I done for this cycle? Looks like everyone is getting interviews except me.
Don't panic. I was sitting at 1 II and was freaking out for a while, and in the last two weeks I've gotten 3 more--despite being complete at the same time for most schools. You've got this. :)

Don't panic. I was sitting at 1 II and was freaking out for a while, and in the last two weeks I've gotten 3 more--despite being complete at the same time for most schools. You've got this. :)
When were you complete at most of these places?

When were you complete at most of these places?
Early August is on the later-end. I turned my secondaries in within 4 days of receipt (which began rolling in late July), and already had my LORs, etc in.
TBH Im not a stellar applicant, you can check out my stats and whatnot on my mdapps.

Last edited:
Similar situation for me. Everyone says, "oh just wait you'll get interviews eventually," but all I get are more rejections. =P Also scared to check my e-mails now... I used to hate when I got spam back in July, but I think I need to re-subscribe to everything just to get normal e-mails again. Diagnosis: emailphobia?

Of course my friends are complaining about the cost of traveling to so many interviews~ srry guyz no sympathy.

ya srsly. ppl like this need to gtho.

lol 4 rejections, 1 hold... no interviews yet too :(

1 rejection, 1 hold, silence elsewhere.

Patience - October is coming?

MD:
Rejected:
-Rosalind Franklin
-Oakland Beaumont
-Arizona (Phoenix)
-Virginia Commonwealth
-Eastern Virginia
-Cooper
-Missouri
-Tulane

Have 18 MD that I haven't heard from yet.

D.O.:

Interviews:
-Campbell (accepted)
-LECOM Seton Hill
-LECOM Bradenton
-Lincoln Memorial
-Kansas City (interviewed,waiting for decision)
-Des Moines (interviewed,waiting for decision)
-Alabama (cancelled interview)
-Western( interviewed, waiting for decision)

D.O. Rejections:

AT Still Arizona

Haven't heard from 5 schools yet.

I've been complete at MDs since 8/15, and I only have 1 ii from GW. No rejections, but no communication otherwise. My stats are OK (LizzyM 72), but I think I have a rotten LOR. I applied to 5 DOs in the last few weeks and haven't heard anything from them. It looks like I'm going to go into another weekend without anymore. Panic time is beginning for me.

Panic time has officially begun. I just was placed on hold at a private school (no in-state bias) where my GPA and MCAT are well above the averages they establish on their website. And yes, I realize that this is more than statistics but I also have extensive research accomplishments, good clinical experience, community service, and I also have an artistic background.

I'd like to think that my LORs were good (I mean, we will never know right?) but this hold has scared the crap out of me. It has even gotten me thinking of what I should do in case I don't get accepted this year.

Panic time has officially begun. I just was placed on hold at a private school (no in-state bias) where my GPA and MCAT are well above the averages they establish on their website. And yes, I realize that this is more than statistics but I also have extensive research accomplishments, good clinical experience, community service, and I also have an artistic background.

I'd like to think that my LORs were good (I mean, we will never know right?) but this hold has scared the crap out of me. It has even gotten me thinking of what I should do in case I don't get accepted this year.

Have you applied to osteopathic schools??? Maybe send in a few just to be safe?

Perhaps. It's a logical idea. Although I've never shadowed a DO and would need to find one as well as start the DO application process even though I know very little about their philosophy.