2014-2015 Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Have 0 interview invites and I turned in almost all my secondaries during July. Starting to wonder if my premed office screwed me over by taking 6 FREAKING WEEKS to turn in my committee letter. Silence from everyone since first week of August. I'd be fine with receiving a rejection from someone so I know that my AMCAS is not just lost out there.

Members don't see this ad.

Sitting on one rejection and a whole lot of silence from everyone else, was complete mid-August with ~75 LizzyM. I'm not panicking per se, since I know it is still pretty early, but what I would give to have just one II...

Reactions: 2 users
Sitting on one rejection and a whole lot of silence from everyone else, was complete mid-August with ~75 LizzyM. I'm not panicking per se, since I know it is still pretty early, but what I would give to have just one II...

Literally same situation, LizzyM ~73, one rejection and one hold. Geez man, I'm apathetic to everything except my email inbox right now.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Have 0 interview invites and I turned in almost all my secondaries during July. Starting to wonder if my premed office screwed me over by taking 6 FREAKING WEEKS to turn in my committee letter. Silence from everyone since first week of August. I'd be fine with receiving a rejection from someone so I know that my AMCAS is not just lost out there.
Happened to look at your MD apps. You were complete very recently, end of August or so if I am not wrong. I think you will hear back soon. Dont worry too much.
I was also complete at most schools mid-August and havent heard anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
After much radio silence, I've succumbed to the penguin allure. Now med school admission gods send some love my way please.

Reactions: 4 users
I think that until someone has an acceptance in their hand, it's okay to be panicking, since nothing is guaranteed and the process is stressful. Since I don't think there are any EDP applicants with their acceptance in this thread, let's just let everyone be neurotic for their own reasons :D
+1. I had a moment of sheer terror at my interview Monday because I was so profoundly anxious that I almost threw up all over the interviewers' table. Not joking. Somehow forced my mind away from the nausea to start talking.

That said, I am no longer in panic mode, but I just wanted to echo the sentiment that people shouldn't be demonized if they're panicking for other reasons (and there are plenty of them) besides zero interviews. If that is the only thing people think is valid to panic about, then start a thread called "0 IIs Panic Thread" so you'd actually have a right to judge people for freaking out about something other than not having IIs.

Reactions: 6 users
Let's hope we hear some good news in October! :)

Evil twin will be destroyed!

Our time will come.

I appointed Davos, barely literate and missing fingers, to write my AMCAs application... the ensuing rejections were reminiscent of Blackwater Bay. Let me remind you that I was beaten, not defeated, at Blackwater. Thousands of more lives lost, dozens of rejection letters received. The Lannisters, the Tyrells, like these ruthless ADCOMs- I will ultimately destroy them all. They were the ones that were truly defeated when their desperate attacks and their bitter letters failed to kill me.

Know this, my bannermen, if you do not press your claim, your claim will be forgotten. Do not become a page in someone else's history book.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Our time will come.

I appointed Davos, barely literate and missing fingers, to write my AMCAs application... the ensuing rejections were reminiscent of Blackwater Bay. Let me remind you that I was beaten, not defeated, at Blackwater. Thousands of more lives lost, dozens of rejection letters received. The Lannisters, the Tyrells, like these treacherous ADCOMs- I will ultimately destroy them all. They were the ones that were truly defeated when their desperate attacks and their bitter letters failed to kill me.

Know this, my bannermen, if you do not press your claim, your claim will be forgotten. Do not become a page in someone else's history book.

You are already a legend.

I don't know how this penguin thing is working out for me right now. anyone else having some good luck that I can catch via an avatar change...

Agreed, I've abandoned ship on the penguin idea. I've been on a bad rejection roll since it happened... hopefully this can change my luck!
I don't know how this penguin thing is working out for me right now. anyone else having some good luck that I can catch via an avatar change...

Members don't see this ad :)

Take my sigil, the fiery heart of the Lord of Light and the crowned stag, as your avatar. Bend the knee to none other than Lord Stannis Baratheon, First of his Name, King of the Andals and First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms, and Protector of the Realm... and be reborn amidst salt and smoke.

Look to your sins, penguins. The med school application process is dark and full of terrors.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Take my sigil, the fiery heart of the Lord of Light and the crowned stag, as your avatar. Bend the knee to none other than Lord Stannis Baratheon, First of his Name, King of the Andals and First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms, and Protector of the Realm... and be reborn amidst salt and smoke.

Look to your sins, penguins. The med school application process is dark and full of terrors.

Not going to lie, I don’t know the first thing about your kingdom, sigil, or Game of Thrones, but your posts are hilarious and I would be honored to have your sigil as my avatar because, why not, it sounds good to be reborn.

Getting nervous. Complete about a month, 2 rejections back to back today, and silence everywhere else. 2 DO interviews though, so I'm counting my blessings. It's going to be a long cycle :-/

What's a sigilses Precious?

Smeagol doesn't like fiery hearts and stags though. Smeagol likes fish, fresh and juicy. Penuginses soundses tasty too Precious.

ZEEEEEEROOOOO INTERVIEWS here as well. it's just so disheartening when people around you are jetting off to NY for interviews and complaining about how much school they're gonna miss because they have soooooo many interviews :(

Reactions: 11 users
Sitting on six rejections and two holds and I'm also a California resident. Starting to feel really paranoid...

Have 12 rejections so far, though post-penguin I have one OOS interview (almost immediately after avi change) and several notifications of holds. But it's still not looking good, especially since I think my stats are pretty good. Other than UCSF, which is perplexing since I have competitive stats for there, haven't been screened out anywhere pre-secondary and applied early.

Have 12 rejections so far, though post-penguin I have one OOS interview (almost immediately after avi change) and several notifications of holds. But it's still not looking good, especially since I think my stats are pretty good. Other than UCSF, which is perplexing since I have competitive stats for there, haven't been screened out anywhere pre-secondary and applied early.
Glad the penguin worked for you! I'm curious how many schools you applied to, if you don't mind sharing.

ZEEEEEEROOOOO INTERVIEWS here as well. it's just so disheartening when people around you are jetting off to NY for interviews and complaining about how much school they're gonna miss because they have soooooo many interviews :(

All of my bannermen who matriculated last year interviewed late January and February. As they say in the North, Winter is Coming.

Glad the penguin worked for you! I'm curious how many schools you applied to, if you don't mind sharing.

45. I figure given that Cali is the worst state to live in terms of in-state schools, best to diversify.

Panic time has officially begun. I just was placed on hold at a private school (no in-state bias) where my GPA and MCAT are well above the averages they establish on their website. And yes, I realize that this is more than statistics but I also have extensive research accomplishments, good clinical experience, community service, and I also have an artistic background.

I'd like to think that my LORs were good (I mean, we will never know right?) but this hold has scared the crap out of me. It has even gotten me thinking of what I should do in case I don't get accepted this year.

Since there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with your app maybe they think that you'll be getting interviews from better schools and just placed yours on hold. I mean the school doesn't want to invest in interviewing an applicant with a high chance of going somewhere else. I remember someone from the admissions committee of a med school telling me that. The schools "talk" to each other about the applicants. So if you're placed on hold, that doesn't mean that you're not going to get an II from a higher caliber university.

Since there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with your app maybe they think that you'll be getting interviews from better schools and just placed yours on hold. I mean the school doesn't want to invest in interviewing an applicant with a high chance of going somewhere else. I remember someone from the admissions committee of a med school telling me that. The schools "talk" to each other about the applicants. So if you're placed on hold, that doesn't mean that you're not going to get an II from a higher caliber university.

That is very sweet - but I also haven't heard from other higher caliber schools as well :/. I only have one II from a lower ranked university and I got it two days after I was complete (lol?). There's no rhyme or reason to this process.

How's your cycle going for you?

That is very sweet - but I also haven't heard from other higher caliber schools as well :/. I only have one II from a lower ranked university and I got it two days after I was complete (lol?). There's no rhyme or reason to this process.

How's your cycle going for you?

Well you might get II from higher caliber universities later on. An interview is an interview even if it is later. But most of my friends who applied last year said it was like a real crap shoot. But for sure admissions talk to each other and will discuss if you're a good "fit" for their school. The guy who told me this was from the committee at Case Western. It's unfortunate that they don't let us know which school they think we'd be a good fit in. :(

My cycle could be better but I can't complain. So far I have one invite, two rejections, one hold, and about twenty something silent schools. Maybe this month will be better for us. We just need to focus on things that we can do now. No sense in fretting about what the adcoms are up to. But I think waiting is way worse than doing all the secondaries at this point. It's really tough :(

panicking :( just got rejected by another school. 5 rejections, 1 hold, 0 interviews :(

panicking :( just got rejected by another school. 5 rejections, 1 hold, 0 interviews :(
Sorry to hear that @MirageS ! I hope you hear some good news this month :luck:! Keep your chin up :happy: I'm sure there are other schools that will find you to be a good fit!

yuuuup, definitely grateful for my one II
3 rejections now...2 were in within like 30 minutes of each other, afraid to look at my email again
for those of you in similar boats, lets look forward to that one II and be sure to kill it!!

Didn't finish my secondaries till late August , feeling that will be my downfall :(

Didn't finish my secondaries till late August , feeling that will be my downfall :(

I'm actually more worried that it took me 3+ weeks to submit some of my secondaries. That was stupid.

I'm actually more worried that it took me 3+ weeks to submit some of my secondaries. That was stupid.
Lol I sent in some of mine at 2 months... I think 3 weeks isn't that late.

Lol I sent in some of mine at 2 months... I think 3 weeks isn't that late.

Don't worry too much about that. I submitted a secondary almost two months after receiving it and just got the II today. This process makes no sense whatsoever.

Anyone else feel the urge to add more schools at the last minute? One II so far but silent from 32 other schools, 3 rej. (complete throughout August)

Anyone else feel the urge to add more schools at the last minute? One II so far but silent from 32 other schools, 3 rej. (complete throughout August)

Sometimes, but that's the worst thing you can do right now IMHO. If I have to reapply, I'd like to be a replicant to as few schools as possible

Been fighting that instinct since I wrapped up my last secondary. Feel your pain.

I scratched that itch. Felt good lol.

My application is basically dead :(
x59qjb.jpg

Constantly waiting for the email notification that saves my life

I told myself at the beginning of the cycle that I'd avoid SDN forums because it'd only ramp up my anxiety...clearly that hasn't been going so well for me. So far, I'm sitting on 2 pre-secondary and 1 post-secondary rejections. 2 holds. Silence everywhere else. I'm extremely grateful for the one II I've had (dream school!) but the silence is killing me.

When were you complete? Any words of wisdom as a reapplicant?
Honestly, the BEST thing for any applicant is to apply as early as possible. For me, I applied early last year to only MD schools, and received a good amount of interviews, but ultimately didn't get in anywhere. This year, my AMCAS was verified early again, but my application at schools was complete late due to a new MCAT score that came at the end of August. I'm hoping to have more luck this year, I have an acceptance at a DO school that was my top choice, so I'll def be somewhere next year. But words of wisdom: only update the schools with REALLY significant, beneficial things. And wait to do it when you haven't heard from the school for at least 2 months. This year is MUCH different than last year in terms of the number of applicants, so I expect that is also causing a lot of unprecedented delays. But also, stay strong. You're not out until they reject you. I received my last interview invite in March when I thought the school had silently rejected me. Patience is SUCH virtue. Now if only I could practice what I preach..

Sigh thought I would get at least one interview out of the 35 schools I applied to, but nothing yet. This is so depressing :(

Honestly, the BEST thing for any applicant is to apply as early as possible. For me, I applied early last year to only MD schools, and received a good amount of interviews, but ultimately didn't get in anywhere. This year, my AMCAS was verified early again, but my application at schools was complete late due to a new MCAT score that came at the end of August. I'm hoping to have more luck this year, I have an acceptance at a DO school that was my top choice, so I'll def be somewhere next year. But words of wisdom: only update the schools with REALLY significant, beneficial things. And wait to do it when you haven't heard from the school for at least 2 months. This year is MUCH different than last year in terms of the number of applicants, so I expect that is also causing a lot of unprecedented delays. But also, stay strong. You're not out until they reject you. I received my last interview invite in March when I thought the school had silently rejected me. Patience is SUCH virtue. Now if only I could practice what I preach..

Do you mine saying how many interviews you got? What does a good amount mean?