2014-2015 Texas Tech University - El Paso Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question 1
"The mission of the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center-Paul L. Foster School of Medicine is to provide an outstanding education and development opportunities for a diverse group of students, residents, faculty, and staff; advance knowledge through innovation and research; and serve the needs of our socially and culturally diverse communities and regions."
Recognizing the components of this mission and that PLFSOM is located on the US/Mexico border, please describe why you are interested in applying to our school. (300 words or less)

Question 2
Please describe how a parent, guardian, friend, relative, or mentor influenced your aspirations to obtain a medical degree. If not applicable, please so indicate. (300 words or less)

Question3
The TTUSHC medical student honor code states "In my capacity as a Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine medical student, I will uphold the dignity of the medical profession. I will, to the best of my ability, avoid actions which might result in harm to my patients. I will protect the dignity of my patients and the deceased, and will protect their confidential information in accordance with the prevailing standards of medical practice. I will not lie, cheat, or steal. I will enter into professional relationships with my colleagues, teachers, and other health care professionals in a manner that is respectful and reflective of the high standards and expectations of my profession. I will not tolerate violations of this Code by others and will report such violations to the appropriate authorities."
Please describe briefly past experiences or personal attributes that reflect your affinity with this honor code. (300 words or less)

Question 4
Please describe any personal experiences or disadvantage (educational, financial or otherwise) and their significance to you in your pursuit of a medical degree. If not applicable, please so indicate. (300 words or less)

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
PM sent. Also, I had problems using Chrome to access the portal. Applicants might want to try IE or another browser.

How soon after your TMDSAS was transmitted did you receive an email for the secondary?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone received confirmation of the secondary being received?

How soon after your TMDSAS was transmitted did you receive an email for the secondary?
My primary was transmitted on 06/10. El Paso and UTMB are the only two schools I have yet to receive an email from

Reactions: 1 user
My primary was transmitted on 06/10. El Paso and UTMB are the only two schools I have yet to receive an email from

Not to worry. El Paso takes a few days, but is relatively quick. If you don't hear anything by mid next week, then reach out. UTMB takes a while to acknowledge. But they don't have a secondary, so it doesn't really matter/ not in your hands anyways.

Reactions: 1 users
That was referring to if you have not yet received a secondary from El Paso. If you have already submitted it, then they don't send out an acknowledgement email after. Hope this helps!

Not to worry. El Paso takes a few days, but is relatively quick. If you don't hear anything by mid next week, then reach out. UTMB takes a while to acknowledge. But they don't have a secondary, so it doesn't really matter/ not in your hands anyways.
Yeah I'm waiting for the secondary one! I've already submitted all my others, and I've already written El Paso's. Now its just a matter of waiting. I feel like that's going to be a reoccurring theme hahah

Yeah I'm waiting for the secondary one! I've already submitted all my others, and I've already written El Paso's. Now its just a matter of waiting. I feel like that's going to be a reoccurring theme hahah

Haha yes the wait is a struggle. The waiting AFTER the secondary is even worse...bc atleast before the secondary you know you're expecting something. After the secondary, you have no idea what to expect :ninja: Are you applying out of state as well?

Haha yes the wait is a struggle. The waiting AFTER the secondary is even worse...bc atleast before the secondary you know you're expecting something. After the secondary, you have no idea what to expect :ninja: Are you applying out of state as well?
If I find the motivation to submit AMCAS haha. I gave Texas schools my priority. That and I've heard OSS MD don't really care too much for Texas residents

If I find the motivation to submit AMCAS haha. I gave Texas schools my priority. That and I've heard OSS MD don't really care too much for Texas residents

Haha yes the motivation is a struggle sometimes. And yes I've also heard that! Hopefully we get some rolling admissions love. Or just Texas love in general.

Sooo... anyone receive the secondary email lately? I transmitted 6/10, and this is my only one left to complete.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sooo... anyone receive the secondary email lately? I transmitted 6/10, and this is my only one left to complete.
Nope :( I haven't gotten mine either, and we transmitted on the same day

Nope :( I haven't gotten mine either, and we transmitted on the same day

Are you thinking of contacting them? I looked on the El Paso website for a general admissions email but couldn't fine one. Since the first batch of interview invites are going out soon, I really want to be complete soon!

Are you thinking of contacting them? I looked on the El Paso website for a general admissions email but couldn't fine one. Since the first batch of interview invites are going out soon, I really want to be complete soon!
I found this with all their emails and phone numbers http://elpaso.ttuhsc.edu/fostersom/admissions/
I feel the same though! I just didnt want to be an annoying pre-med student. I feel like since we both transmitted on the same day and haven't gotten the secondary they are just backed up

I found this with all their emails and phone numbers http://elpaso.ttuhsc.edu/fostersom/admissions/
I feel the same though! I just didnt want to be an annoying pre-med student. I feel like since we both transmitted on the same day and haven't gotten the secondary they are just backed up

I think its just backed up. Historically this happens to be the time when most people are submitting their primaries...so it makes sense that the process itself slows down a bit. Don't worry- it'll come out soon enough. Till then, pre write :)

Thanks you two! Waiting sucks... gah! I remember reading through last year's threads and wondering why people would freak out when they wouldn't receive emails...now I have become one of them. Haha

I called them and for some reason they skipped sending my secondary invite! They were extremely helpful and sent me the log-in information immediately :)

I called them and for some reason they skipped sending my secondary invite! They were extremely helpful and sent me the log-in information immediately :)

Who did you contact? On the website, all I could find was the page with the staff member pics/numbers.

Who did you contact? On the website, all I could find was the page with the staff member pics/numbers.
I called the school in general. They transferred to admissions, and when you call them they make you choose the person you want to talk to. I choose one of the assistants, and then I got transferred again. I would just call any number, and they'll get you in touch with the right ppl

Called and finally got my secondary email! The person I talked to was very surprised that I hadn't received it after a little over two weeks from TMDSAS transmission. So if you still haven't received your secondary after 10 days, I would give them a call!

Not looking forward to the secondaries for El Paso. How long did y'all spend on it?

“Recognizing the components of this mission and that PLFSOM is located on the US/Mexico border, please describe why you are interested in applying to our school."

I'm really not sure how to answer this question. Are we supposed to integrate an interest in the border specifically? Because I'm going to be honest, I don't really have a profound interest in it...

“Recognizing the components of this mission and that PLFSOM is located on the US/Mexico border, please describe why you are interested in applying to our school."

I'm really not sure how to answer this question. Are we supposed to integrate an interest in the border specifically? Because I'm going to be honest, I don't really have a profound interest in it...
I wondered about this too...I sort of tied it in indirectly, referring to what what happens there and how it reflects to my parents, who weren't born in the US... I always find these questions that ask about interest in the school to be so tricky, bc you could say anything...but what, you know? ... Trying to finish editing so I can submit all my tx secondaries...sigh.

Does anyone know around when they'll send out interview invites if you just submitted in July? :)

First II :) Submitted TMDSAS around 5/13 and secondary 6/24. 3.9 GPA, 30 MCAT, in-state.

Congrats to both of you!

Is El Paso application the same as Lubbocks?

Stats?
When is the first interview date?

TMDSAS transmitted: 5/29
Secondary complete: 6/9
3.46 GPA, 31 MCAT, IS, non-URM, non-trad.

I had the same options for interview dates, August 7th and 14th. Looks like last year the first interview invites went out on the 1st of July.

Just as an FYI in case anyone has a similar issue:

My status page didn't have a check next to application complete even though secondary app and fee were submitted days ago, letters were in as was my MCAT. Waited a few days to see if it would change, and it didn't. Gave them a call, and they said it was an error and marked my app as complete. So if you're in a similar situation, might want to give them a call.

I feel like my app at El Paso is cursed haha. First, never received the secondary email after two weeks from transmittance and had to call (apparently an error). Now my application wasn't marked as complete, had to call and apparently another error. GAH!!!!

Just as an FYI in case anyone has a similar issue:

My status page didn't have a check next to application complete even though secondary app and fee were submitted days ago, letters were in as was my MCAT. Waited a few days to see if it would change, and it didn't. Gave them a call, and they said it was an error and marked my app as complete. So if you're in a similar situation, might want to give them a call.

I feel like my app at El Paso is cursed haha. First, never received the secondary email after two weeks from transmittance and had to call (apparently an error). Now my application wasn't marked as complete, had to call and apparently another error. GAH!!!!

Watch: you will get in and go there ;D good luck!

Same issue. I don't think it's necessarily about the border but what the border represents. You are so close to an entirely different cultural. The population of El-Paso itself is a majority Mexican Americans.

I got an ii today! scheduled for 7/14

Got my II today! Secondary submitted 7/13

II today for Aug 7th. Secondary submitted 6/30!