2014-2015 Underdawgs Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Buckeye(OH)

5K+ Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
SDN has been very good to me over the past 10 years. Definitely been ups and downs. Someone suggested that a new thread needed to be started so I thought I'd start it my damn self.

I stay fairly active on here, posting when I can, answering PMs etc. Why am I qualified to start this thread? Ill tell you why.

I went to a large state university. I was a stellar student in high school. I got an academic scholarship to undergrad. I never drank/smoke/broke curfew in high school.

Then, I got to college. I drank....a lot. I didn't study because, well, how hard could it be. I overloaded my course schedule because again, how hard could it be? Let me tell you, my first ochem exam that I got back that said 33 on it was STARTLING.

I continued to struggle with ochem. In fact, I failed it that quarter and got a D in Biochem the same quarter. Not good news for your cGPA.

The next quarter, I retook and got a C. Not great, but not insurmountable. Actually, it sucked retaking a class and only getting a C. At this point, I was pretty convinced I was an imbecile. Anyways, I continued on, getting a C in the next ochem sequence, thankful that I passed. I got to the third of the sequence and got a D. Perfect. By the way, Im Indian, my parents had no idea because they weren't paying so I didn't tell them, but I knew they would be crushed. Anways, retook, C. Perfect, my gpa after 2 years was in the high 2s. Basically, loser status.

I started dating a girl my third year of college, she was premed as well. She studied her balls off, and as a result, I did too. Everything became a competition. It worked very well for me, she probably hated it. I ended up somehow keeping my scholarship and graduating in 4 years with a BS in Mol Gen with a 3.23.

Oh, as for the MCAT? Didn't really study for that either (how hard could it be?) I got a 22. I took it again, 25. I took it a third time, 30.

I didn't know WTF to do with my life. Ill admit, because of my degree I was also thinking about a career in law as a patent lawyer (biotech). Eventually, I decided I was going to do medicine (to much to late)? I went to grad school and got an MPH because it didn't cost me anything (Grad Research Associate) besides time. I smoked that degree, 4.0.

I applied to a multitude of MD schools and two DO schools. I was wait listed at a number of MD schools but was accepted at both DO schools. 2 in the hand is better or something like that so I went to CCOM.

I worked my ****ing ass off. As an MS3 I didnt know what I wanted to do with my life so I picked the one thing that I though fit with my wants knowing I probably wouldn't match. Ortho.

I ended up matching ortho, certainly because of my board scores and letters of rec.

4.5 years later, it came time to apply for fellowships. I chose peds ortho. I ended up matching at my first choice. The residents (when I start in August) under me graduated from medical schools like Wash U, Georgetown, USC, Brown, Cornell, NYC, Duke, etc. Pedigreed individuals.

In other words, as I've said before.....its out there, if you want it. Go get it.

Member cGPA/sGPA MCAT Acceptances
WRC 3.3/3.3

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 54 users
BTW, if anyone needs a personal statement read, let me know.

Im studying for boards right now so my time is limited but Ill do my very best to get back to you in a timely fashion.

Why? Because someone else on here did it for me.

Reactions: 44 users
Well I will be applying this cycle with a 3.07 cgpa and 3.0 pending MCAT.

Edit: on a side note I had a rough freshman year. I have had a strong upward trend since then.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Pretty early, but I'm happy we have a solid member taking over.

You may want to make room for a list if you want to have one ( personally I didn't, but many people want one).

Reactions: 2 users
Serenade, over this last year I followed the thread your created as inspiration for me during this upcoming cycle.

Serenade, over this last year I followed the thread your created as inspiration for me during this upcoming cycle.

Well, I'm happy it inspired you lol. I'm pretty sure that thread made me one of the most hated members on this site haha. But yah, I wish you luck and potentially me luck if I don't get off Marian's Alt list x.x

Pretty early, but I'm happy we have a solid member taking over.

You may want to make room for a list if you want to have one ( personally I didn't, but many people want one).
If you're not early, you're late.

Underdog reporting in, started at 3.0 cGPA and 2.6 sGPA. After retakes I am at 3.3cGPA 3.3sGPA. MCAT in May.

Reactions: 1 users
That's gonna be rough for me. Ill give it a go however.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you can't keep up with the list, make it the type where people are responsible for adding it themselves through copy and paste.

I am an underdog applying this cycle.

3.25 cGPA/3.29 sGPA/pending MCAT

I am applying in August due to a July MCAT. Submitting for verification in June.

If you can't keep up with the list, make it the type where people are responsible for adding it themselves through copy and paste.

I really wish this was what I did. That way no one would be on my butt for putting in overqualified people and missing a few ppl.

Lol

I can read Personal statements here tootoo

Please follow this method:

Member cGPA/sGPA MCAT / AACOMAS Verified/ Interviews/ Acceptances

docemmetbrown 3.07 cGPA/3.0 sGPA/pending MCAT
westernredcedar 3.3 cGPA/3.3 sGPA/pending MCAT
victoriah 3.25 cGPA/3.29 sGPA/pending MCAT

The above method only really works if people are intelligent enough to actually follow it. The list method relies on one person to have the time to filter the thread and update the list, which is ultimately better because it relies on one person - and not the vast number but both have their advantages/disadvantages.

3.9 cGPA, 4.0 sGPA, MCAT 44...UD here!

JUST KIDDING!

In all seriousness, MASSIVE good vibes to you UD's here. I can completely relate to being an UD. When I graduated from my undergraduate, my cGPA was a 3.3 with a sGPA of 2.75. I didn't get in anywhere. I decided to pursue a master's degree in a field I loved (forensic psychology), but, of course, this didn't improve my science grade. Being a physician was my dream and end game, but I knew I had to go through a different route to get to that end game. A science master's wouldn't have been enough to boost my sGPA, of that I was sure. I ended up pursuing a hard science PhD at my home state medical school. During my time, I did really well, acing all my science classes, taking medical school classes with the med students, teaching neuro to graduate students, getting grants, etc etc. Everything I did, I always had getting into medical school in the back of my head. I made sure to never burn any bridges, make connections with the faculty (who were on the admissions board and taught the medical students), and, honestly, just try to be a decent human being. I also LOVED the osteopathic mentality because ALL my physicians were DOs (seriously, my gynecologist (is this TMI?), dermatologist, interventional radiologist (had a neck thing), and my family med/GP doc). During my time studying for the MCATs, I was also defending my dissertation for my degree and doing the rewrites. It was a trying time, that's for sure. I ended up bombing the PS section, although did well in the BS and VR. However, even with my crappy MCAT (24) and, because of how late I started everything due to my defense and rewrites, I wasn't able to be complete until Dec. Despite all this, I received quite a few DO iis and my in-state MD ii. I ended up with acceptances to most of the DO interview (the ones I went to) and an acceptance from my in-state MD school, despite my crappy MCAT. I was shocked because I was sure that I would be waitlisted, at best.

I went into my lab the other day and chatted with one of the profs that gave me a LOR, but who was also on the admissions committee. I basically asked her how I even got in with my crappy score (although I put in nicer than that, haha). I could tell she fought hard for my acceptance. In fact, it sounded like the PhD faculty on the admissions board were major advocates of me being in this incoming year. Let me give you another idea of how much I was sure I was rejected. I was LATE to my interview (of ALL days, my tire blew out) and, during my interview with the clinician, I started tearing up/choking up in front of him. It was a disaster. I was basically told that I'd "be an ideal candidate if it wasn't for the MCAT. Better luck next time."

Even after all this, I had a hard time choosing between my instate school and MUCOM. The biggest factor was $$ (I'd save over $100K over the four years and I'm a lazy ass that HATES to move). My biggest regret, if it can be called that, is not being at MUCOM and being a part of its growth and future powerhouse medical school.

Overall, what I'm trying to say is this: DON'T GIVE UP. Yes, that sounds cliche and lame, but there are always, ALWAYS ways to acheive your goals. It might not be a straight shot, but you UDs will get it. The main lessons I've learned and probably one of the most important, though, is DON'T BURN YOUR BRIDGES. ALWAYS, ALWAYS treat EVERYONE with respect. I believe 100000% that I got into my state school because of my attitude during my years as a doctoral student and making a point to be engaging and interact with everyone. I hope I don't sound arrogant or braggy, in this regard. Second lesson, DO recs can be a bitch to get. You know how I got mine (and I ended up with about 5 of 'em)? I cold emailed them and explained my situation. 9 out of the 10 times, they were all more than happy to help me. You might be wondering "well, they don't get to know you very well" and this is true, but I still found this to be totally worth it. I ended up shadowing with a lot of them because of the cold emailing so it can be a good thing. Don't let fear or hesitation stand in your way. The worse they can say is "no," but then you'd just be where you were before so it doesn't hurt to try. Third, it's SO easy to get caught up in the minutiae of everthing, but remember to look at the big picture. Keep your end goal in mind and try to not get too caught up in the details. Fourthly, TAKE A BREAK once in awhile. This is a MAJOR waiting game. LOTSA LOTSA waiting. You're gonna want to pull out your hair, sob loudly into pillow, or stare at a wall for hours at a time. Find an escape. Mine were movies, especially going to superhero movies. Mine were video games, like League of Legends, with my best buds. Find yours. Finally, SDN can be a really negative place sometimes. Don't let it get to you. Yes, it's important to be "realistic", but if I was realistic all those years ago, I'd never be where I am today. This is gonna be super cheesy, but screw realism. Dream big. Have hope. If you fail this time around, do it again. And again. Don't let the debbie downers dissuade you.

I apologize if this post sounds pretentious or arrogant, that's never my intention. I wanted to let you UDs know that we TOTALLY understand what you're going through. You all are going to be rock stars! GOOD LUCK ON THIS INCOMING CYCLE.

PS. If anyone wants any help with anything or have any questions, feel free to PM me!

Last edited:
Reactions: 19 users
Please follow this method:

My best wishes to everyone in the UD list. If I may suggest, people should feel free to add commentaries that they feel their situation is different/unique such as: re-Applicant, no Shadowing, IA on file, etc. Remember that this list is meant to help those in the next cycle. It could also be cool if people wrote how many full (primary + secondary) applications they filled out. It doesn't need to list each school, but if someone applies to 5 schools and gets all 5 interviews it is different than applying to 10 and getting 5 interviews. Just ideas. No pressure.

Reactions: 3 users
Another UD here.

Dr.bonesmccoy 3.20 cGPA/3.0 sGPA/pending MCAT

Thanks AlbinoHawk for updating it..as I said, it may be hard for people to not forget to do that ;P

Sure are a lot of pending mcat scores, I wish you all luck.

DO NOT ERASE THESE INSTRUCTIONS!
1) Click "Reply" on the most recent underdog list.
2) Delete the quote brackets at both the top and the bottom of the post.
3a) Add your username alphabetically if it is not on the list.
3b) To update your information, just find your username and ONLY change your information!
4) If you see some formatting errors and you have time, try to fix them.
5) Click "Post Reply"

Member cGPA/sGPA / MCAT / AACOMAS Verified/ Interviews/ Acceptances

Last edited:
I wanted to add some instructions for you guys. Good luck!

3b) To update your information, just find your username and ONLY change your information!
5) Click "Post Reply"

bowser20 3.03 cGPA/3.03 sGPA/pending MCAT

5) Click "Post Reply"

danny89 3.27 cGPA/3.07 sGPA/pending MCAT

Ugh, seeing this thread just made me freak out a bit. Can't believe it's almost April :eek:.

My uGPA is horrid (2.9), but since then I've done well in some post bacc work (4.0) and an SMP (4.0) to bring my gpa up to around a 3.1. I have an expiring mcat of 31 and am retaking it in june. I've been studying for a while and am averaging 35's on the AAMC tests so hopefully it will be somewhere around there. EC's and LOR's are average. Hopefully I'll get into the MD school where I did my SMP, but I would also be thrilled to attend a DO school.

5) Click "Post Reply"

DrTurkelton 3.08 cGPA/ 3.13 sGPA/ 31 MCAT (retake planned)

So excited I finally get to fill this out...

5) Click "Post Reply"

medhopeful811 3.3 cGPA/3.3 sGPA/pending MCAT

Hi guys, excuse my ignorance, but are there specific criteria for determining underdog status, or is it an umbrella term for those who feel they have a weaker application compared to the overall applicant pool?

Hi guys, excuse my ignorance, but are there specific criteria for determining underdog status, or is it an umbrella term for those who feel they have a weaker application compared to the overall applicant pool?
And so it begins...lol

Just add yourself if you want to. This time around we shouldn't waste on judging the "underdawgness" of an applicant. Let that be for the people reading the statistics.

5) Click "Post Reply"

Member cGPA/sGPA / MCAT / AACOMAS Verified/ Interviews/ Acceptances/Special Consideration
*Special Consideration: Military Service, International Student, IA

Just add yourself if you want to. This time around we shouldn't waste on judging the "underdawgness" of an applicant. Let that be for the people reading the statistics.

Haha thanks. I was just wondering because serenade mentioned some people gave him flack for placing overqualified people on the list. I will probably add myself, but I'm waiting until I take the MCAT and calculate my final GPA. :)

Just out of curiosity, why on earth are you planning to retake the MCAT? You are dangerously close to the border when people who retake more often go down than go up.

" I have an expiring mcat of 31 and am retaking it in june."

3.5+ cGPA, 3.25+ sGPA, MCAT result comes late April

Zero retakes.

Let's hope it's a 28+ so you don't need to feel like an underdawg.

I hope so! I am secretly praying for a 30+ considering I've scored 31+ (33+ towards the end) on all AAMC exams. But we'll see!

3.3cgpa/3.3sgpa/pending MCAT. Most likely applying this year so you can put me as a underdog for now. Might plan to retake some classes if I do not get in this cycle.

5) Click "Post Reply"

Member cGPA/sGPA / MCAT / AACOMAS Verified/ Interviews/ Acceptances/Special Consideration
*Special Consideration: Military Service, International Student, IA

DrTurkelton 3.08 cGPA/3.13 sGPA/31 MCAT (retake planned)
Sean Lee 3.5+ cGPA/3.25+ sGPA/pending MCAT
Dreamstoo 3.3 cGPA/3.3 sGPA/pending MCAT
IWillOneDay 3.4 cGPA/3.2-.3 sGPA/26 MCAT (retake in July after applying)

I hope so! I am secretly praying for a 30+ considering I've scored 31+ (33+ towards the end) on all AAMC exams. But we'll see!

Great man. If you score somewhere within a 30-33, I think you will not a be an underdog. As of now, I'm around a 25-29 and I haven't studied that seriously yet. Currently at like a 11/8/9 with recent practice. I haven't been studying that seriously yet. After my spring classes, I plan to log in about 50+ hours a week, only been doing about 2-3 for a few months now.

best of luck guys. hope you all own your mcat and have great success next cycle!

People forget too often that gaining admission is a lot more than numbers. I feel that committees look heavily at things such as life experience, motivation, action, and drive while considering numbers. Even though some get in with a low GPA or MCAT they have likely displayed other attributes that committees look favorable upon. An important thing to keep in mind is that people with the drive to pursue this life will show they are committed. Most of the time this means a high MCAT and GPA, but there are always exceptions to the rule.

I'm so excited to follow the progress of another underdog thread. Good luck to everyone and I'll probably be listed on here in another year or so :)