2014-2015 University of Rochester Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Top choice, hopefully they like their neighbors.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Applying here as well, despite the crappy upstate NY winters. Good luck everyone!

One of my top two choices. Applying OOS. The only thing that might deter me is that I've heard how bad the crime is right around the med school...

Can any current students comment on the curriculum and grading system.

One of my top two choices. Applying OOS. The only thing that might deter me is that I've heard how bad the crime is right around the med school...

Us classmates just need to watch each other's backs.

The crime in rochester is not that bad (my undergrad is in rochester area). The area around the school is really coming along too. In a year or so it will be fully developed and a thriving college town. The campus is right next to the hospital. The only "rough" areas in my opinion are across the genesee river (about 5 mins from the school).

I can't say anything about the medical school specifically because I myself am an applicant along with you all!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Can any current students comment on the elective pathways? I'm extremely interested in multiple, and was wondering if it's at all possible to do more than one. They look really awesome - they're a big reason I'm applying.

Just got the secondary email.

Preliminary check from my phone suggests no essays for the secondary.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are they just asking for a payment or do we have stuff to fill out?

I didn't get my secondary and my mcat scores have been verified forever and I submitted my application on june 3rd. Any idea why I haven't gotten the application since they don't prescreen?

Reactions: 1 users
I presume they are sending the links out in batches so people don't submit all at once and crash their system, or something.

Just added this school to AMCAS! So excited, good luck everyone!!

Secondary received. Submitted 15 mins later. Number one school choice. <3 rochester

Just submitted mine too.. hurray for no essay! Fingers crossed!!

Still no secondary from Rochester for me.. I hope I get it soon!

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know why Rochester calls themselves the liberal arts college of medical schools?

Welp, none of these boxes applied to me. Not sure if that is a bad sign...

Same here. Something tells me this isn't a positive sign.

Ah well. You only need one, right?

Ya... submitted, but couldn't check of anyone of those boxes lol.

Participated in a formal summer research and / or enrichment program related to a career in the health professions (i.e., SMDEP funded by R.W.Johnson Foundation or other competitive program)

Do you think that only includes things you got funding for? not like a summer enrichment program/shadowing thing ...

Does anyone know why Rochester calls themselves the liberal arts college of medical schools?

They have many elective options involving medical ethics and cultural competency in medicine. Basic they are aware that there are other aspects to medicine than science and they try to prepare their graduates for this. I have been told by my advisor that this is also something they look for in their applicants

Participated in a formal summer research and / or enrichment program related to a career in the health professions (i.e., SMDEP funded by R.W.Johnson Foundation or other competitive program)

Do you think that only includes things you got funding for? not like a summer enrichment program/shadowing thing ...

I think formal doesn't necessarily mean paid. Non the less I couldn't check this box as my research was not medically related

That's how I interpreted it. I'd say if you applied, got accepted, and it was organized, then it probably counts (if this was the case you also most likely got a stipend). If you set it up yourself, probably not.

Looks like a lot of us are in the same boat...secondary received and submitted, but couldn't check any of the boxes :(

Received and submitted! Also could not check any boxes.

I just submitted my secondary as well, but for the "signature" at the end for the submission, I accidentally clicked too fast and only put my initials, and not my entire name ... Is that going to affect my application in any manner? (sorry I might be slightly neurotic from all these applications)

Just submitted -- Stupid boxes... managed to get 1, but what is the point of them? anyone know?

Just submitted -- Stupid boxes... managed to get 1, but what is the point of them? anyone know?

It's a way to make the $100 fee seem justifiable.

I'll take check boxes over essay prompts any day. Favorite secondary so far!

Reactions: 3 users
I just submitted my secondary as well, but for the "signature" at the end for the submission, I accidentally clicked too fast and only put my initials, and not my entire name ... Is that going to affect my application in any manner? (sorry I might be slightly neurotic from all these applications)

I'd probably send them an e-mail or give them a call to see if its okay. They might need it for legal purposes (signature and all) or they might say its fine. I wouldn't worry too much about it hurting your chances as its a perfectly reasonable thing. You can always explain it away as your browser crashing +pissed+

Submitted! Does Rochester send out essay questions to those invited to interview?

Submitted and Application Complete! However, I don't have my committee letter in yet and they said they would still potentially review my application before they received that letter. Is this pretty common or should I worry about it?

Submitted and Application Complete! However, I don't have my committee letter in yet and they said they would still potentially review my application before they received that letter. Is this pretty common or should I worry about it?

Really? Where did they say they review without the letters?

Really? Where did they say they review without the letters?
The way my school does it, they send a committee letter that does not include the other recommendation letters. Rochester will be reviewing my application with letters from my other recommenders since they said they only needed 3 recommendation letters to move the application to "complete" status where they would start reviewing it.

The way my school does it, they send a committee letter that does not include the other recommendation letters. Rochester will be reviewing my application with letters from my other recommenders since they said they only needed 3 recommendation letters to move the application to "complete" status where they would start reviewing it.

Gotcha.

Yeah Rochester says they really only look at the first 3 letters they download.

It's a way to make the $100 fee seem justifiable.

First of all, I'd watch the tone just a bit. Someone finds out who you are - which happens on SDN all the time by the way, particularly with other interviewees - and you're in trouble at any school you even consider badmouthing. No offense, just trying to help.

Second and to answer your question, no the initial secondary does not have any essays, but the interview invite does. Therefore, you do not write secondaries unless you get invited to interview which, I promise, you will be grateful for by the end of this process.

Full disclosure: I do not attend Rochester but did apply last year. Glad to see you guys are helping each other out, if I remember correctly the thread was much quieter before. Was curious to see what was going on here so decided to check in (Happy I did).