2014-2015 Waitlist Support Group

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm right there with you! 7 waitlists and not a word today.

Edit: Actually 7, not 8. Typo!

haha I'm right there with you guys. 7 waitlists, and nada so far (though a few of mine have had movement). our army is shrinking quickly, but we still have each other :p #TeamNoAcceptances #folife #buthopefullynotfolife

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't worry, next week will be our week!!

Reactions: 11 users
Has there been a lot of movement today and will movement pretty much slow down after today at most places? I figure that since the drop deadline for people with multiple acceptances has passed that the majority of the movement has/will happen in the few days. I hope i'm wrong though. @gyngyn - Thoughts?

Has there been a lot of movement today and will movement pretty much slow down after today at most places? I figure that since the drop deadline for people with multiple acceptances has passed that the majority of the movement has/will happen in the few days. I hope i'm wrong though. @gyngyn - Thoughts?
I'm seeing more movement than this time last year (first day of traffic).
I think next week will be the big bump because financial aid was out of the loop on the earlier decision day.

Reactions: 11 users
I think next week will be the big bump because financial aid was out of the loop on the earlier decision day.
Do you think this also has to do with people applying to more schools than previous years. Many schools I applied to said that they had record number of applicants.

Do you think this also has to do with people applying to more schools than previous years. Many schools I applied to said that they had record number of applicants.
+1 for that observation.

Sorry I'm kind of out of the loop but could someone elaborate on this? i.e. is gyngyn saying that students who received acceptances off the WL didn't get their financial aid info yet?

Sorry I'm kind of out of the loop but could someone elaborate on this? i.e. is gyngyn saying that students who received acceptances off the WL didn't get their financial aid info yet?
Many schools did not prepare their financial aid offices for the earlier traffic day. Even directly accepted students have had relatively little time to consider or compare their choices. Thus, I predict a slower uptick in WL movement that should pick up next week.

Reactions: 1 user
Many schools did not prepare their financial aid offices for the earlier traffic day. Even directly accepted students have had relatively little time to consider or compare their choices. Thus, I predict a slower uptick in WL movement that should pick up next week.

But didn't directly accepted students have to commit already? So they did that without fully knowing their financial aid offers? :oops: Sorry for all the questions, was curious.

But didn't directly accepted students have to commit already? So they did that without fully knowing their financial aid offers? :oops: Sorry for all the questions, was curious.
They can reasonably hold more than one if they have not had at least 5 days to consider new offers or previous offers for which financial information was not available. Even this commitment can be dropped for a new offer.

Members don't see this ad :)
They can reasonably hold more than one if they have not had at least 5 days to consider new offers or previous offers for which financial information was not available. Even this commitment can be dropped for a new offer.

Thank you for clearing that up! I guess it's not all doom and gloom yet haha

Yeah I am in the exact same boat. Three is scary.
I only have two, which is even scarier! These two have been "under consideration" though. How is this "under consideration" different from a waitlist? Can I expect more or less movements from this "under consideration" status?

Reactions: 1 users
I only have two, which is even scarier! These two have been "under consideration" though. How is this "under consideration" different from a waitlist? Can I expect more or less movements from this "under consideration" status?

Also on two! Best of luck to both of us and all else who have the uncertainty of where they'll be in a few months.

Reactions: 2 users
Maybe a little, but acceptance algorithms are derived over years of experience. I doubt that this year's applicants applied to enough programs to throw it off much.

are there any deadline to apply for loans? if so, what about those accepted off WL's days before orientation?

Everybody will have time to get loans.
I see, i see. Thanks for answering my other questions earlier btw!! Trying to understand the loan process, it would be my first time taking one out! This month is hopefully going to change my life, getting so antsy.

Withdrawing from a WL acceptance for this reason among others. Hope one of you gets my spot!!

May the Fourth be with everyone today! ;)

Reactions: 16 users
So, is there any consensus on what someone with a couple waitlists and no acceptances should do in terms of reaching out to admissions?

For anyone holding no acceptances, when would you start applying this upcoming cycle? Would you apply to the same school you are still waitlisted at before they officially give you a rejection?

For anyone holding no acceptances, when would you start applying this upcoming cycle? Would you apply to the same school you are still waitlisted at before they officially give you a rejection?

if I were reapplying, I'd still submit again on the first day and to whatever schools you want regardless of current status at said schools.

if I were reapplying, I'd still submit again on the first day and to whatever schools you want regardless of current status at said schools.
Agreed, I think starting NOW (especially if you're applying to any TMDSAS schools), no acceptances means it's a good idea to send in applications. I think applying to some of the same schools is okay, but I know that updating your CV (e.g. new MCAT score, any new volunteering or clinical experience) for those places will be crucial.

Yes. Everyone else basically answered this,but I spoke to an admissions office at one of the school's I am waitlisted at and they advised submitting an AMCAS 2016 (which opens tomorrow!!!! :nailbiting:) to have on file in addition with your current AMCAS. If you get accepted some time this summer I was told that that school just withdraws your new AMCAS file.

I've just got 1 waitlist right now, so I'm definitely reapplying. AMCAS opens tomorrow and I'm ready to get transcripts sent in ASAP. I'll definitely be hitting "Submit Application" on June 2nd.

I'm debating if I want to submit to just a few schools initially then add the rest toward the end of June. I want to be in the first batch of secondaries, but I don't want to waste $100s if I end up getting accepted off the waitlist before July 1st.

On the bright side, this is all much easier to get through the second time around since I've had some practice.

Reactions: 1 users
Everybody will have time to get loans.

Hey Gyngyn!
Thanks for all your information this year (and others). You are awesome for helping us all out!

Last year, you updated people on what WLs have moved. Do you still have access to this information? You are informed of this via once a week if I am not mistaken?

Wait listed at two schools, anxious as heck. Good luck everyone! Planning on re-applying though, real talk, don't want to be puttin all my eggs in one basket.

Reactions: 6 users
On wait lists at 3 school - Applied to 20 schools, interviewed at 4 (first one was a rejection). I have probably checked my emails 50 times just today.

Reactions: 8 users
Hi! I am the spouse of an applicant and I've been lurking for awhile now. I have found these boards so useful to understanding this process. There are so many of you I have been rooting for! Congrats @ridethecliche and @familyaerospace!!! I am pretty anxious as I am looking at grad school as well but wanted to wait to see if my partner got in this year before I started applying. I have a question that I haven't found answered on any other threads yet. We have a lot of friends also applying/waitlisted. One of these just told us that he has set up a half-hour appointment on Wednesday to basically beg the Dean of Admissions of his top choice to let him in. He is flying across the country for this appointment. Is this a common thing for applicants to do? Would it be well-received? It struck me as odd. If anyone has any insight or has seen another thread on this topic, please let me know. Good luck to all~

I had a 15-minute phone call with a Dean. I didn't call to plead my case, rather I called to address certain aspects of my application that I felt only got a cursory look on Interview Day (due to the interviewers being relegated to asking particular questions). Because I'm a non-traditional underdog, it was exceedingly important for me to feel heard regarding those particular aspects of my candidacy -- especially considering how powerful I feel they are with respect to my match with their medical school.

I felt that my phone call was well-received in the way that he listened intently to my long-winded speech, and then provided highly useful feedback. You're correct in assuming that this doesn't happen very often -- when a couple of my friends found out that I cold-called someone at the school, their response was, "Are you nuts??" But, I just needed to get some things off of my chest. If your friend is humble, courteous with the Dean's time, and goes into the meeting with a solidified understanding of what they want out of the meeting, then it should be successful (within reason). After all, the Dean agreed to meet with him.

I had a 15-minute phone call with a Dean. I didn't call to plead my case, rather I called to address certain aspects of my application that I felt only got a cursory look on Interview Day (due to the interviewers being relegated to asking particular questions). Because I'm a non-traditional underdog, it was exceedingly important for me to feel heard regarding those particular aspects of my candidacy -- especially considering how powerful I feel they are with respect to my match with their medical school.

I felt that my phone call was well-received in the way that he listened intently to my long-winded speech, and then provided highly useful feedback. You're correct in assuming that this doesn't happen very often -- when a couple of my friends found out that I cold-called someone at the school, their response was, "Are you nuts??" But, I just needed to get some things off of my chest. If your friend is humble, courteous with the Dean's time, and goes into the meeting with a solidified understanding of what they want out of the meeting, then it should be successful (within reason). After all, the Dean agreed to meet with him.

I feel the same way about my application. Without giving away my anonymity, I completed a fairly life-changing experience right before interviews and I felt as if I didn't/ couldn't articulate how it affected me. As with all things, time has allowed me to suss out a lot of the details, but it's far too late for interviews. I ultimately sent in a "letter of interest" that was 85% explanation of my new perspective and 15% what I liked about the school. The main point of the letter was to convey this maturation.

Hey Gyngyn!
Thanks for all your information this year (and others). You are awesome for helping us all out!

Last year, you updated people on what WLs have moved. Do you still have access to this information? You are informed of this via once a week if I am not mistaken?
I can see where movement is happening at schools whose interviewee pool (is that even a thing!?) overlaps with ours, so yes. So far pretty quiet, even where we know there is going to be a lot of action.

Reactions: 6 users
I can see where movement is happening at schools whose interviewee pool (is that even a thing!?) overlaps with ours, so yes. So far pretty quiet, even where we know there is going to be a lot of action.
When would you expect that to change? You think its because of the financial aid delay you mentioned?

I wish I knew! Believe me. I'll let you know when I see something.

Is there not a deadline for which schools need to get back to accepted students with a financial aid package? Is it reasonable to expect this unusually slow waitlist movement would continue throughout this week?

Is there not a deadline for which schools need to get back to accepted students with a financial aid package? Is it reasonable to expect this unusually slow waitlist movement would continue throughout this week?
No and yes.

Decent numbers, but late app to 35 schools >> 2 II > 2 WL
preparing to re apply, but today - a miracle!
Never give up hope y'all

Reactions: 12 users
Are people who don't have acceptances generally more likely to get off waitlist or is this just a myth?

Are people who don't have acceptances generally more likely to get off waitlist or is this just a myth?

maybe in August lol... but no I'm not sure. one would think so if a school wanted a "sure shot" or to protect their yield, but I'm sure a lot goes into it.

It depends on the school's policies, how strongly the committee supported the candidate compared to others and whether the places others are holding have historically resulted in a successful poach.

Significant waitlist movement has happened at UCSF and UCI
and detectable movement at Temple, UTSW, OHSU, Tulane and Duke.
Are you certain there has been movement in UCI Alternate List?

Significant waitlist movement has happened at UCSF and UCI
and detectable movement at Temple, UTSW, OHSU, Tulane and Duke.

@gyngyn Would you happen to be able to comment on EVMS? Do you have any secret spidy senses tingling from there?

@gyngyn Would you happen to be able to comment on EVMS? Do you have any secret spidy senses tingling from there?
If it helps at all, I know someone who was accepted off the EVMS waitlist yesterday afternoon!

Just got accepted to my top choice!! Will be withdrawing from five waitlists ASAP!

Reactions: 26 users
I just got really excited because I got an email from the 1 school I am wait listed at. It turned out to be an email saying they aren't starting to review the people on the wait list for another 2 weeks and don't anticipate accepting anyone until June...and the wait continues.

I just got really excited because I got an email from the 1 school I am wait listed at. It turned out to be an email saying they aren't starting to review the people on the wait list for another 2 weeks and don't anticipate accepting anyone until June...and the wait continues.

at least you have a month of not having your heart race everytime you get a new email!

Reactions: 4 users