2014-2015 Waitlist Support Group

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm finally done playing the waiting game. Got off the waitlist at my top choice. Good luck to everyone still waiting!
Congrats ace! That is amazing!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Has Mount Sinai moved at all yet?

I've been thinking about sending another love letter, but unfortunately looks like bulk movement already passed for my school. Time to start planning for next cycle!

I've been thinking about sending another love letter, but unfortunately looks like bulk movement already passed for my school. Time to start planning for next cycle!
Send it. What can it hurt?

Does anyone know what's going on with UCLA?

Hi @gyngyn thank you for all of your updates! I haven't seen anything about Mount Sinai. Have you been able to on your end? If not does that mean that they haven't moved or that you don't have any overlap with students wait listed there? Thanks again!

@gyngyn thank you so much for sharing what you know! I was wondering whether you are able to see where else a student has been waitlisted, or if that information is not shared. Apologies if you've already answered this!

Hi all, up till now I have been following from afar, but figured I would join and see if I can find out a little more information... @gyngyn have you heard anything about the Jefferson waitlists?

Hi all, up till now I have been following from afar, but figured I would join and see if I can find out a little more information... @gyngyn have you heard anything about the Jefferson waitlists?

Hi @gyngyn thank you for all of your updates! I haven't seen anything about Mount Sinai. Have you been able to on your end? If not does that mean that they haven't moved or that you don't have any overlap with students wait listed there? Thanks again!
I've not seen anything on my end. It could be either reason, but CA applicants tend to apply to both these schools pretty frequently so there should be some overlap.

@gyngyn thank you so much for sharing what you know! I was wondering whether you are able to see where else a student has been waitlisted, or if that information is not shared. Apologies if you've already answered this!
No one can see where you have been waitlisted.

Members don't see this ad :)
@gyngyn I understand that LOI at this point hold no weight. All applicants which are waitlisted are probably sending them in. My questions is, is there anything else which we can do? ( as in send in additional LOR, have professors call put in a good word, etc) which would help our chances.?

thanks in advance

@gyngyn I understand that LOI at this point hold no weight. All applicants which are waitlisted are probably sending them in. My questions is, is there anything else which we can do? ( as in send in additional LOR, have professors call put in a good word, etc) which would help our chances.?

thanks in advance
There comes a point when continued contact begins to hurt instead of help.

There comes a point when continued contact begins to hurt instead of help.

Understood. Thank you for the prompt response. Are you able to see much waitlist movement recently at VCU?

@gyngyn Has the bulk of the movement passed in your opinion or are we still just getting started? Thanks as always!!!

@gyngyn Has the bulk of the movement passed in your opinion or are we still just getting started? Thanks as always!!!
Most movement usually happens in the first month after traffic day and tapers off after that.

Reactions: 1 users
@gyngyn does that mean a lot of movements happen in June or may? Is traffic day that April 30th? Thanks!

@gyngyn does that mean a lot of movements happen in June or may? Is traffic day that April 30th? Thanks!
The schools that under-accepted will do most of their waitlist activity in the first month (4/30-5/30). This may disrupt acceptance lists of the schools "beneath them" in this month. After the first month, this activity will smooth out to a slow but steady rate. Schools with the best understanding of their strengths and the best algorithm will only start to see movement about a month after traffic day.

Miscalculations are common though, even at the "best" institutions.

Reactions: 3 users
has there been a lot of movement at Davis?

I'd like an admissions dean to write a tell-all anonymous confessional of the game theory behind admissions / waitlists / etc

Reactions: 3 users
So what of UCLA?

Is that a school you'd expect to have gone through the majority of its wait-list movement already? Or is that yet to come?

So what of UCLA?

Is that a school you'd expect to have gone through the majority of its wait-list movement already? Or is that yet to come?
UCLA usually under-accepts. There is a new admissions dean. This is his first class. Hard to say.

UCLA usually under-accepts. There is a new admissions dean. This is his first class. Hard to say.

So if they do under-accept this year as well then, according to your previous generalization, they'd do most of their wait-list movement 4/30-5/30 this year?

As far as you can tell, not much wait-list movement there?

So if they do under-accept this year as well then, according to your previous generalization, they'd do most of their wait-list movement 4/30-5/30 this year?

As far as you can tell, not much wait-list movement there?
There has been movement. The rest will depend on how well chosen the remaining candidates are.

Last edited by a moderator:
I take it UCSD is still way overenrolled?...

Reactions: 2 users
@Coolchurro: I called the office recently and they pretty much gave me the same answer that you got. At the moment, the class is filled and they're waiting for people to respond to their offers. As spots start opening up, the committee will meet to reevaluate remaining applicants.

It is with both delight and sympathy that I announce that I wish the folks needing to participate in this thread all the best. I just got the call that I was accepted. Be well, hope hard.

Reactions: 26 users
Have you seen any bulk movement from Columbia by chance?

Well after interviewing at four schools, being rejected from 2 and wait listed at the others and having come to terms with reapplying, the impossible did happen and I was accepted. Anything really can happen.
@doctor-mommy, congratulations on making the "impossible" reality!

Accepted today after being wait listed at four schools! Almost passed out after checking my email this morning!! My fingers are crossed for those of you still waiting!
YES! Congratulations, @chogath!

hey @gyngyn, this ones a long shot by the way the thread is going but is there any movement at Rutgers RWJ, was there any last year? Much appreciated!