2014-2015 Waitlist Support Group

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The inability to just pause for 5 min to think about if the critique that multiple people have offered about your behavior is worth reflecting on is also going to be a problem in your future I would guess.

To quote someone that is sometimes more correct than they'd like to admit I give you this:

I could try to do that. My other classmates could try to do that too. But if said person still stubbornly refuses to change their perspective after receiving multiple reality checks from multiple people, then IMO you really can't be more proactive than that. :shrug:

-------------

Actually, I've been thinking and reflecting all day while working in the ER and posting here. Please continue to assume things about me. This is the internet, after all.

Such facepalm...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
To quote someone that is sometimes more correct than they'd like to admit I give you this:

-------------

Such facepalm...
I don't understand. I'm not perfect. But at least I don't run from criticism.

I've said what I needed to.

Laying off so an awesome thread doesn't get shuttered.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
True. But things moving earlier is still a highly desirable outcome. It could allow a waitlisted applicant to avoid initiating a reapplication, or to have their SO start looking for work in a new location, or get a head start on any other time-sensitive process.

No one is calling for people to hold only one acceptance at a time. That's extreme. But I think that @Temerit was responding to statements (below) that defend the other extreme. They don't consider that there are any costs to holding acceptances for an extended period of time.

There are indeed costs--for other applicants. The costs generally aren't huge, but they are worth considering. I feel comfortable saying that the people on @gyngyn's waitlist with a dozen acceptances at this point in the cycle are being inconsiderate. We are all in this together.

This is precisely what I was getting at, thanks for spelling it out so clearly. :)

Crossing my fingers for good news soon after 4/30 for all those WL'd w/o an acceptance.

Reactions: 10 users
True. But things moving earlier is still a highly desirable outcome. It could allow a waitlisted applicant to avoid initiating a reapplication, or to have their SO start looking for work in a new location, or get a head start on any other time-sensitive process.

No one is calling for people to hold only one acceptance at a time. That's extreme. But I think that @Temerit was responding to statements (below) that defend the other extreme. They don't consider that there are any costs to holding acceptances for an extended period of time.

There are indeed costs--for other applicants. The costs generally aren't huge, but they are worth considering. I feel comfortable saying that the people on @gyngyn's waitlist with a dozen acceptances at this point in the cycle are being inconsiderate. We are all in this together.
I feel comfortable with that too - it's very unlikely that financial aid could make every one of those schools a possible option. I was referring to less extreme situations, and when one's acceptances are at schools of comparable quality.

Reactions: 1 users
It all depends on the perceived value of the school. Our state schools are very hard to get into and could easily over- accept. Even a very good school could accept 3x the number of seats and not fill if they only interview the candidates that everyone wants.
I see. And the fact that a school is of high perceived value doesn't have any say on the number of waitlisted applicants since there is no traffic rules for waitlists?

Also a side question. Would reporting recently obtained green card status in the US have any downside to a waitlisted int'l student at a state school? I'm curious since there was talk on how schools use waitlists to "balance" the student ratios.

I see. And the fact that a school is of high perceived value doesn't have any say on the number of waitlisted applicants since there is no traffic rules for waitlists?

Also a side question. Would reporting recently obtained green card status in the US have any downside to a waitlisted int'l student at a state school? I'm curious since there was talk on how schools use waitlists to "balance" the student ratios.
There are plenty of traffic rules for waitlists!
A green card can only improve your chances.

@gyngyn

What's the highest number of acceptances held by a candidate on your WL right now?

Doesn't green card status give you some of the same benefits as citizens? I think I got govt loans in college even though I was on a green card. You might not be a citizen, but I'd certainly let them know ASAP.

has anyone made Pro/Con list for schools they're on waitlist of? i fell like i Should do this incase I get off them and will be able to have thought about which schools to chose with sufficient thinking...

There are plenty of traffic rules for waitlists!
A green card can only improve your chances.

Oh whoops, I meant traffic rules regarding how many students a school can put on the waitlist. Did I miss something big?

Doesn't green card status give you some of the same benefits as citizens? I think I got govt loans in college even though I was on a green card. You might not be a citizen, but I'd certainly let them know ASAP.

Afaik it does but I was just curious if being int'l had any pluses.

Thanks for the input!

Oh whoops, I meant traffic rules regarding how many students a school can put on the waitlist. Did I miss something big?
!
That is correct. The waitlist is only limited by the number of interviews that a school can effectively conduct in the time frame of the cycle. There is no cap.

Members don't see this ad :)
has anyone made Pro/Con list for schools they're on waitlist of? i fell like i Should do this incase I get off them and will be able to have thought about which schools to chose with sufficient thinking...

I start doing pro/cons when I start applying and then update them through the cycle. From the school I am waitlisted on versus the one that has STILL not responded to me, all theirs are up to date and if both offered an acceptance at the same time, I could easily choose. I keep internal rankings. It will be a little more challenging next round.

Hi...having a green card should be an advantage because now you are considered a permanent resident, and you get (almost) the same benefits as citizens. Although, I am unsure to what extent telling them would affect their decision... Until recently I had a green card too, and received the same loans...grants and many other opportunities as everyone else. The only time I realized there were limits to opportunities is after I graduated and started looking into jobs and internships...some required applicants to be citizens.

If you are holding no acceptances, there's really no benefit.
We can see that you would accept and we expect that these LOI's have been sent to all your waitlist schools. Sometimes applicants even forget to cut and paste the name of the right school on them!
First, thanks for answering. I think I made a mistake with what I meant, I was asking about Letters of Intent not letters of interest, my bad. So would it be helpful to send one to my top school if I only have WL's?

First, thanks for answering. I think I made a mistake with what I meant, I was asking about Letters of Intent not letters of interest, my bad. So would it be helpful to send one to my top school if I only have WL's?
They are equivalent at this point.
No, without acceptances, we already know you would come if admitted.

Just been lurking but now that I've heard back from everyone I'll post. 7 II 2 post II rejections (first two interviews kind of sucked) 5 waitlists. So like many of you I have only waitlists. Hoping we all hear some good news soon.

Reactions: 5 users
I've been seeing so many "should I choose X school Y school or Z school, help!!!" threads lately and it's got me feeling like damn, all I need is a 1A school and I'll be happy haha #TeamNoAcceptances

Reactions: 17 users
I start doing pro/cons when I start applying and then update them through the cycle. From the school I am waitlisted on versus the one that has STILL not responded to me, all theirs are up to date and if both offered an acceptance at the same time, I could easily choose. I keep internal rankings. It will be a little more challenging next round.

that's a great idea! should've done that at least starting a list comparing my waitlist schools.

That is correct. The waitlist is only limited by the number of interviews that a school can effectively conduct in the time frame of the cycle. There is no cap.
Alright that's what I thought. Thanks for all the clarifications!

Hi...having a green card should be an advantage because now you are considered a permanent resident, and you get (almost) the same benefits as citizens. Although, I am unsure to what extent telling them would affect their decision... Until recently I had a green card too, and received the same loans...grants and many other opportunities as everyone else. The only time I realized there were limits to opportunities is after I graduated and started looking into jobs and internships...some required applicants to be citizens.
Yeah the limitations on internships/jobs was a big problem for me too. It's a weird timing but better now than never right? From what I'm getting it probably won't hurt letting them know. Thanks!

Turning in my waitlist status today. I was accepted at Jefferson after interviewing on the last day, really impressed with the school and will be withdrawing from my other waitlists for sure, this should help anyone on SUNY waitlists...

Reactions: 14 users
Over here with @DoctorLacrosse on #TeamNoAcceptances my pro/con list looks a little something like this:

Any school that accepts me from waitlist:
Pros: They accepted me
Cons: I must repay them in limbs

All other schools:
Pros: None
Cons: They haven't accepted me

Reactions: 13 users
Ok long time lurker but wanted to keep everyone's hope alive!
3 interviews
2 waitlist
1 acceptance off the waitlist
Believe it can happen!

Reactions: 11 users
Ok long time lurker but wanted to keep everyone's hope alive!
3 interviews
2 waitlist
1 acceptance off the waitlist
Believe it can happen!
Congratulations!! When did you get accepted from the waitlist?

Which schools have the waitlists moved for already? I'm getting kinda nervous.

with only 7 more days to go...
Submitted 23
8 II
5 WL
1 Accept since December
2 Pending...

What is the reasoning behind already accepting from WL before making decisions on March interviews?

that's a great idea! should've done that at least starting a list comparing my waitlist schools.

Let me tell you the reason I started doing it, I had to rank all my schools before I was given a committee letter. I was a little anal retentive and ended up with a spread sheet that autocalculated a "point" system which then autosorted. I needed to work out the pro-cons before I could assign points. :)

What is the reasoning behind already accepting from WL before making decisions on March interviews?

I think it is a soft reject basically. That happened to me at Mercer two years ago (3? whatever 2 cycles ago) and this year, but if they want to prove me wrong....

Last edited:
Just had a quick question regarding the timing of decisions (I do have two acceptances and 4 WL right now).

For one school which I interviewed about 5 months ago , they still have not given me and 1-2 other early interviewing students a decision (which I confirmed a few weeks ago). Based on that school's thread, it seems like even some later interviewing applicants have gotten some decision at this point. What do you think are the chances that I hear back before April 30, since as was mentioned before there is no set deadline to notify people of decisions?

Just had a quick question regarding the timing of decisions (I do have two acceptances and 4 WL right now).

For one school which I interviewed about 5 months ago , they still have not given me and 1-2 other early interviewing students a decision (which I confirmed a few weeks ago). Based on that school's thread, it seems like even some later interviewing applicants have gotten some decision at this point. What do you think are the chances that I hear back before April 30, since as was mentioned before there is no set deadline to notify people of decisions?

UMass or Einstein?

Have you tried calling them? If you're really lucky or talk the right person you might get information about when you can expect a decision. I've had good luck doing this.

Have you tried calling them? If you're really lucky or talk the right person you might get information about when you can expect a decision. I've had good luck doing this.

Well I did call about a month ago, but the person who answered didn't really tell me much except to wait for a decision email.

How's this for a probably redundant but slightly different question:

I'll be in Canada for work April 27th- May 1st. My phone will be off while I'm there because of international roaming, but would it be super presumptuous to tell my WL that notifies via phone that I'll be out of the country May 1st? I'm torn between not expecting decisions to be made that quickly (mostly so I stay sane) and not wanting to appear overly confident about getting a spot, and the sliver of hope that May 1st will be one of the best days of my life and not wanting to miss the call.

I'm also trying to figure out if there's a setting on my phone to only let calls and no texts/data through and just coughing up whatever absurd price Verizon wants to charge me if pigs learn to fly, so that's another option that could possibly be a win-win

I'll be in Canada for work April 27th- May 1st. My phone will be off while I'm there because of international roaming, but would it be super presumptuous to tell my WL that notifies via phone that I'll be out of the country May 1st? I'm torn between not expecting decisions to be made that quickly (mostly so I stay sane) and not wanting to appear overly confident about getting a spot, and the sliver of hope that May 1st will be one of the best days of my life and not wanting to miss the call.

I'm also trying to figure out if there's a setting on my phone to only let calls and no texts/data through and just coughing up whatever absurd price Verizon wants to charge me if pigs learn to fly, so that's another option that could possibly be a win-win

Not at all, let them know politely and either give them a phone number to someone that you give permission to accept on your behalf or asked to be notified by email.

Well I did call about a month ago, but the person who answered didn't really tell me much except to wait for a decision email.

I'd give them another call, be pushy in a nice way. If the person says they don't have the information ask if they can refer you to someone who does.

In addition to calling the admissions office and letting them know, I suggest changing your voicemail greeting to indicate that you are out of the country and that you can be contacted by email.

Forward your phone to a service that transcribes voicemail.

Figure out how they notify people for WL, if it's email you're fine. Also see how much roaming would actually be since it's not that expensive and free in some places.

I had internet access in london and dublin from t mobile without any charges since they had partner networks there. I still paid to make a call to VM and jefferson when I realized they'd tried calling me.

Figure out how they notify people for WL, if it's email you're fine. Also see how much roaming would actually be since it's not that expensive and free in some places.

I had internet access in london and dublin from t mobile without any charges since they had partner networks there. I still paid to make a call to VM and jefferson when I realized they'd tried calling me.

the most worthwhile call ever

Joining the boat because I have been feeling so sad;
4 II, 4WL
Only one week until May 1st!

Does anyone have an idea as to how the waitlist movement will turn out this year, compared to years past?

Reactions: 4 users
Joining the boat because I have been feeling so sad;
4 II, 4WL
Only one week until May 1st!

Does anyone have an idea as to how the waitlist movement will turn out this year, compared to years past?
I'm sorry you've been sad :(
You're not alone though! And 4 WL sounds a lot better than my measly 1 WL.
I wish you goodluck. Only time will tell how the waitlists will move.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm sorry you've been sad :(
You're not alone though! And 4 WL sounds a lot better than my measly 1 WL.
I wish you goodluck. Only time will tell how the waitlists will move.

I should have joined in this group a long ago.. :X3:
Good luck to you too! let's keep our heads up

Bottom tier on WL at my top choice, give up hope and start preparing to go to USUHS?

Bottom tier on WL at my top choice, give up hope and start preparing to go to USUHS?

If you got an option and you can accept it, just roll with it. Personally, I would just go to USUHS. This application cycle is stressful enough without being strung out for a few more months. Take the acceptance and enjoy your time before medical school bc medical school will push you harder than anything before. You don't need a few months of extra stress and being strung out.

If you got an option and you can accept it, just roll with it. Personally, I would just go to USUHS. This application cycle is stressful enough without being strung out for a few more months. Take the acceptance and enjoy your time before medical school bc medical school will push you harder than anything before. You don't need a few months of extra stress and being strung out.

Thanks for this. Good luck to everyone else!!

Thanks for this. Good luck to everyone else!!

You too. Also congratulations on your acceptance. I wish I was in your position, I've been on waitlists since october of last year waiting to get one acceptance, not fun. :( As soon as I get my acceptance I'm taking it and running.

Last edited:
8 interviews, 1 rejection (Harvard), 7 waitlists :( Sent letter of intent to 1 school, was wondering if I would have a better shot by sending letters of interest to all 6 other schools, or just the ones I would most like to go to...All of the schools are ones I'd be willing to go to, but would my chances of getting into at least 1 school be better if I didn't send a letter of interest to all of them (since they might talk to each other)?

8 interviews, 1 rejection (Harvard), 7 waitlists :( Sent letter of intent to 1 school, was wondering if I would have a better shot by sending letters of interest to all 6 other schools, or just the ones I would most like to go to...All of the schools are ones I'd be willing to go to, but would my chances of getting into at least 1 school be better if I didn't send a letter of interest to all of them (since they might talk to each other)?
The reason these LOI's have so little value is illustrated by your question. We know that you have promiscuously sent them to any school that interviewed you!

Reactions: 2 users