2014 AOA EM Match Rates?- AOA Data leaves much to be desired

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OsteoQuack

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So this list is widely available:

https://www.natmatch.com/aoairp/stats/2014prgstats.html

However, it leaves many questions unanswered, and I have scoured the google machine without success for answers. My question, is how many actual applicants were there for those 270 total EM spots? How many people chose to only apply to EM and were unmatched? Is there any more specific information out there than this dainty chart? It hardly tells a prospective student about the competitiveness of the specialty one has chosen.

I applied very broadly to AOA EM programs (40+), and have thus far solidified 6 auditions. 4 of those auditions have offered interviews, while the other 2 should hopefully offer me one while I rotate. If I were to say, get 6 interviews, and thus have 6 places to rank, what are the odds of matching statistically speaking? Or is this impossible to figure out? I just thought I read one time that if you can rank 10 places, that your chances of matching somewhere are greater than 99%. This of course depends on the number of spots and overall competitiveness etc etc......but illustrates the point that more interview are better.

I hope all of this makes sense. I searched forever for some answers but could not find anything but the generic chart the AOA provides.

Members don't see this ad.

However, it leaves many questions unanswered, and I have scoured the google machine without success for answers. My question, is how many actual applicants were there for those 270 total EM spots? How many people chose to only apply to EM and were unmatched? Is there any more specific information out there than this dainty chart? It hardly tells a prospective student about the competitiveness of the specialty one has chosen.

I applied very broadly to AOA EM programs (40+), and have thus far solidified 6 auditions. 4 of those auditions have offered interviews, while the other 2 should hopefully offer me one while I rotate. If I were to say, get 6 interviews, and thus have 6 places to rank, what are the odds of matching statistically speaking? Or is this impossible to figure out? I just thought I read one time that if you can rank 10 places, that your chances of matching somewhere are greater than 99%. This of course depends on the number of spots and overall competitiveness etc etc......but illustrates the point that more interview are better.

I hope all of this makes sense. I searched forever for some answers but could not find anything but the generic chart the AOA provides.

To my knowledge that data doesn't exist for us to access. From what I can tell the AACOM stopped publishing detailed match data in 2012. I'm not really sure why. Regardless, if you haven't seen this report, here it is: http://data.aacom.org/media/DO_GME_match_2012.pdf

Reactions: 1 user

Six auditions is overkill. Why so many? Major red flags?

Members don't see this ad :)
Six auditions is overkill. Why so many? Major red flags?
No not really. 530 level one 550 level two, great letters, marginal class rank. I just have the fear of god in me that I am not going to match for some reason. Maybe its paranoia? Or maybe 6 is a good number to shoot for? I don't have an answer for that. What is your take?

Thanks for your reply!

No not really. 530 level one 550 level two, great letters, marginal class rank. I just have the fear of god in me that I am not going to match for some reason. Maybe its paranoia? Or maybe 6 is a good number to shoot for? I don't have an answer for that. What is your take?

Thanks for your reply!

It's too many. You should be enjoying your fourth year.