2014 APPIC internship Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Omg! You all have so much! I don't have a single publication, haven't supervised anyone and am in a private school (APA accredited) that most people haven't heard of. I'm also in a psyd program.

I feel like it will be a miracle if I get accepted anywhere! I am only applying to APA sites since I can allow myself to stay an extra year and do an additional practicum if needed. Last year, 60% of my colleagues matched to APA sites all over the country (only 1 person matched to a VA).

I wonder if there is anything I can do to increase my chances of getting an APA accredited hospital site. I know I'm crazy for this...but I'm considering applying to over 30 sites! Eek!

Sent from my SPH-L900 using SDN Mobile

I applied to 23 last year and I would absolutely recommend keeping it below 20. I really underestimated how much work it was to write that many cover letters and keep all of the sites' information straight. It's hard to claim genuine interest in that many sites, to be honest. Not to mention the cost. Although I didn't do it to increase my chances of matching necessarily, it was more that I had a hard time narrowing down my list because I applied mainly in the Northeast and there are just so many great sites.

Members don't see this ad.

No way MUSC expects 1500 F2F unless that is a recent change. I know many who interviewed there and several who matched there in recent years and no one had close to that amount (the folks who matched were closer to half that). I suspect it is aggregate (i.e. F2F, supervision, support).

Do you know people who interviewed there with less than that aggregate?

No idea. No one talks about support hours (as they don't mean squat anyways...is it "good" to take forever to write reports and progress notes?). I'm going to try and get the applications from several people who interviewed there by the time I get around to really pulling things together so remind me and I'll check.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. The person I know who interviewed there recently probably had that many hours.

I'm just wondering because even my total hours won't come close to that.

Does anyone know the best avenue to learn why a site might be on probation (via APA accred)? One route recommended was to email the training director. I'd like to try to find out prior to contacting the site directly if possible.

Any thoughts on who / what / where within APA might keep this info?

Ask the TD for information on probation. APA does not reveal it publically. A number of sites are on probation for match rate issues and it is worth understanding these specifically. Some sites are in areas where there are regional internship programs that are approved for licensure and a significant proportion of their students are geographically restricted and stay local which affects the match rate. It is definitely worth learning specifics of a probationary status as they vary.

I don't believe some of the folks from my program who interviewed there in the past had that number of aggregate hours (granted, I'm also not sure what their requirements were at that time).

Has anyone interacted with the current DCT and/or staff at Manatee Glens? Looking for interview questions they've asked.

Feel free to private message. TIA!

Hi All: 3rd year applying, I'm anxious and scared all at once. Any advice? Great to be back on this thread!!!

Hi All: 3rd year applying, I'm anxious and scared all at once. Any advice? Great to be back on this thread!!!

Have you or your DCT been able to get any hint from sites what went wrong in previous cycles (e.g., hours, type of sites/populations, not having the "right" type of prac experience, going geographically restricted, etc)? Sorry that you're having to go through this again? Also, if you don't mind me asking, what kind of program do you attend? Sometimes that really can affect things.

Have you or your DCT been able to get any hint from sites what went wrong in previous cycles (e.g., hours, type of sites/populations, not having the "right" type of prac experience, going geographically restricted, etc)? Sorry that you're having to go through this again? Also, if you don't mind me asking, what kind of program do you attend? Sometimes that really can affect things.

I'd agree; getting feedback on the above points from your DCT, other faculty members, and programs to which you applied is a very good place to start in terms of figuring out how to adjust your application for the next cycle.

Im back at a prac site that I really love for a 2nd summer, and speaking with my supervisor yesterday has me re-considering deferring applying for a year. Basically, in order to match at this site I feel like I need more publications...which will not really be happening before next January.

If I deferred applying, I could finish my dissertation, try to get some more pubs, etc. The thought of putting off the rest of my life is not appealing...but Id REALLY like to be competitive for this site. Commiserating.

If you've deferred - how did it go? Regrets? Reflections?

Members don't see this ad :)
I deferred and it was tough when the rest of my cohort matched. It will be even tougher if I don't match this cycle. However, I know that I would not have been competitive had I applied last year.

Im back at a prac site that I really love for a 2nd summer, and speaking with my supervisor yesterday has me re-considering deferring applying for a year. Basically, in order to match at this site I feel like I need more publications...which will not really be happening before next January.

If I deferred applying, I could finish my dissertation, try to get some more pubs, etc. The thought of putting off the rest of my life is not appealing...but Id REALLY like to be competitive for this site. Commiserating.

If you've deferred - how did it go? Regrets? Reflections?

I would highly recommend not deferring for a year for the sole purpose of more pubs for one or two dreams sites. Unless you are on the trajectory for R1 academia (or something similar), just get out and get on with life. ;)

I would highly recommend not deferring for a year for the sole purpose of more pubs for one or two dreams sites. Unless you are on the trajectory for R1 academia (or something similar), just get out and get on with life. ;)

I would agree. If worst comes to worst and you can't fathom ending up anywhere but the site you've mentioned, then you can rank only it. That way, if you don't match, you just apply again next year as originally intended.

The downside, of course, is that you'd be out the APPIC fees and travel expenses, but to me, that would seem a worthy expense to gain the possibility of finishing your training a year earlier.

Conversely, the upside (in addition to finishing a year earlier) is that interviews might help you discover and become excited about sites that you wouldn't have otherwise seriously considered.

I don't know how effective it will be. We tried last year. I attend a clinical psychology Psyd program. I think that is what you were asking. I will try to speak with other faculty in respect to my application. I also think i need to redo my essays. Thank you:)))

I don't know how effective it will be. We tried last year. I attend a clinical psychology Psyd program. I think that is what you were asking. I will try to speak with other faculty in respect to my application. I also think i need to redo my essays. Thank you:)))

What kind of PsyD program? If it's at a free-standing professional school (e.g., Argosy, Alliant) that could be hurting you.

What kind of PsyD program? If it's at a free-standing professional school (e.g., Argosy, Alliant) that could be hurting you.

That's such a shame. But, I would agree, 3 times through the match with nothing (assuming no glaring typos, decent interpersonal skills, and the amount clinical experience that would be expected by that time) signals that it might be program rep or something.

I interned at VA in the south that was great, but nothing fancy really, and even they tossed apps in the garbage from certain professional school programs

That's such a shame. But, I would agree, 3 times through the match with nothing (assuming no glaring typos, decent interpersonal skills, and the amount clinical experience that would be expected by that time) signals that it might be program rep or something.

I interned at VA in the south that was great, but nothing fancy really, and even they tossed apps in the garbage from certain professional school programs

Really? WOW.. I have rec'd several interviews during the years but I can't seem to match..:(

Hello Again:

I am redoing my CV and wanted to see what others have added or made sure to leave out. I really want to revamp my approach with this year's application. Any ideas? Suggestions?

Thank you ALL:)))

Hello Again:

I am redoing my CV and wanted to see what others have added or made sure to leave out. I really want to revamp my approach with this year's application. Any ideas? Suggestions?

If you have received many interviews you may look great on paper and need to focus on your interview skills. Did you get any feedback from the sites?

Hello Again:

What do you have on there currently? And what has your previous ratio of applicants to interviews been like?

If you have received many interviews you may look great on paper and need to focus on your interview skills. Did you get any feedback from the sites?

No feedback rec'd. I have tried to reach out but to no avail, Should I try again?

What do you have on there currently? And what has your previous ratio of applicants to interviews been like?

I have Clinical, Work and Research Experience. In addition, I have certifications and leadership information. 15 apps and 7 interviews. Phase two 8 apps and 2 interviews. Hopes this makes sense. Thanks again for caring:)

Hello all!

Looks like Internship app time is creeping up. I'm back again after not matching last time. Hopefully this time goes much better. Good luck everyone!

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know how many essays will be required for this year? My DOT informed me that they may be changing it to 3 rather than 4. Perhaps getting rid of the last one (research interests). Anyone know?

Thanks!!

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know how many essays will be required for this year? My DOT informed me that they may be changing it to 3 rather than 4. Perhaps getting rid of the last one (research interests). Anyone know?

Thanks!!

As far as I know, its still 4.

This annoys me...I go to one of the schools you mentioned and had 11 interviews last year (many of which were highly competitive APA accred. UCCs) and matched to my top site. In most cases, going to a professional school will not decrease your chances of matching to a site. I am sure there are some sites that have a bias against professional schools as erg mentioned, but I imagine a vast majority of sites don't care if you are at a professional vs. university based program.

Rather than stressing about things you have no control over (like what kind of program you are at), the OP should be focusing on things they can improve on such as essays, cover letters, accruing more hours, finishing their dissertation etc.

This annoys me...I go to one of the schools you mentioned and had 11 interviews last year (many of which were highly competitive APA accred. UCCs) and matched to my top site. In most cases, going to a professional school will not decrease your chances of matching to a site. I am sure there are some sites that have a bias against professional schools as erg mentioned, but I imagine a vast majority of sites don't care if you are at a professional vs. university based program.

Rather than stressing about things you have no control over (like what kind of program you are at), the OP should be focusing on things they can improve on such as essays, cover letters, accruing more hours, finishing their dissertation etc.

I didn't say the OP could control it, I didn't say they should worry about it, I didn't say that no one from these schools match, I didn't even say it was fair. Statistically, people from some programs (typically large, freestanding ones) have poorer match outcomes--that's a well-documented fact. Does this apply to everyone? Of course not.--people from university-based programs can struggle to match and people from FSPS can do very well (congrats on matching, btw! :D). Does coming from an FSPS negatively impact some people? The data suggest, fairly strongly, yes.

The general resistance I've seen among psychologists when it comes to applying data to professional training issues (and not just internship!) honestly baffles me.

I have Clinical, Work and Research Experience. In addition, I have certifications and leadership information. 15 apps and 7 interviews. Phase two 8 apps and 2 interviews. Hopes this makes sense. Thanks again for caring

Those are respectable numbers of interviews, especially the first year. Doing mock interviews may help if there's an issue there and try to apply broadly within fit (populations, research/clinical balance, etc). Good luck! :luck:

In most cases, going to a professional school will not decrease your chances of matching to a site. I am sure there are some sites that have a bias against professional schools as erg mentioned, but I imagine a vast majority of sites don't care if you are at a professional vs. university based program.
we have empirical research on this

Parent, M. C., & Williamson, J. B. (2010) Program disparities in unmatched internship applicants. Training and Education in Professional Psychology, 4, 116-120.

we have empirical research on this

Parent, M. C., & Williamson, J. B. (2010) Program disparities in unmatched internship applicants. Training and Education in Professional Psychology, 4, 116-120.

Yep, that's what I was thinking of but didn't have the time to pull the citation myself. Thanks. :)

Hi everyone!!

I know its still early, but does anyone know when we can start applying? Also, where do we go to start applying... is it appic.org?

I'm new to all this! :confused: :scared:

Hi everyone!!

I know its still early, but does anyone know when we can start applying? Also, where do we go to start applying... is it appic.org?

I'm new to all this! :confused: :scared:

I don't think you can access the application portal yet and I'm not sure when it opens. If you go to appic.org they have all the info about the match and how to apply. Here is a link to the page with helpful info about the AAPI: http://www.appic.org/AAPI. It will also direct you to the AAPI page and tell you about supplementals, transcripts, fees, etc. Good luck to all applying!

Last year it looked like it opened in July or so.

Hi again, everyone. I'm making a preliminary site list, so I can have an idea of sites I am interested in before the updated directory comes out later this summer. Does anyone know how strict sites are about the number of recommended hours? Most sites I have looked at have numbers that I think are manageable, but a few sites have extremely high expectations for assessment hours (over 300 pure assessment hours). I'll likely have around 200 by the time I apply, but I don't want to apply to sites that have higher requirements than that if my application won't even be considered. Thanks!

Hi again, everyone. I'm making a preliminary site list, so I can have an idea of sites I am interested in before the updated directory comes out later this summer. Does anyone know how strict sites are about the number of recommended hours? Most sites I have looked at have numbers that I think are manageable, but a few sites have extremely high expectations for assessment hours (over 300 pure assessment hours). I'll likely have around 200 by the time I apply, but I don't want to apply to sites that have higher requirements than that if my application won't even be considered. Thanks!

I'd imagine it could vary from site to site...most at least seem to give some degree of wiggle room, but there could be at least a few that use those as hard-and-fast cut-offs. When in doubt, I'd say emailing the TD is the way to go.

Yep, that's what I was thinking of but didn't have the time to pull the citation myself. Thanks. :)

I am familiar in the article, but if I am mistaken, I don’t see where it indicates that applicants from professional schools go unmatched because there is a bias against such programs. Saying that certain programs contribute to the imbalance more than others isn’t the same as saying that students from professional schools are discriminated against because of their home institution.

I can only speak for my particular program, but I can assure you that our training is comparable to our neighboring Ph.D./university affiliated Psy.D. programs. My program is highly respected by the training sites in my area, which is a major metro area. I will be the first to admit, however, that with a larger cohort, it is easier for a student to fall through the training “cracks” so to speak. I can assure you that this is far more the exception than the rule at my program.

I have noticed that any bias that exists against professional schools is mostly perpetuated by students in other training programs, not by actual training sites though I am sure it happens. I’m truly not bothered by what people on here say about my program. I made my post because I don’t want some unsuspecting internship applicant to read what others are saying on here and go into the internship application process feeling badly about themselves because of the school they go to. In addition to having good credentials, this process is also about confidence. Having a lack of confidence can certainly come across in the application materials and more importantly in interviews.

I have noticed that any bias that exists against professional schools is mostly perpetuated by students in other training programs, not by actual training sites though I am sure it happens. I'm truly not bothered by what people on here say about my program. I made my post because I don't want some unsuspecting internship applicant to read what others are saying on here and go into the internship application process feeling badly about themselves because of the school they go to. In addition to having good credentials, this process is also about confidence. Having a lack of confidence can certainly come across in the application materials and more importantly in interviews.

I don't think anyone wants students from those programs to "feel badly about themselves." However, I do think it's important to go into this process with a realistic sense of the most likely outcomes.

I come from a funded PhD program, and was one of the only students in my program to be interested in a specific field, which I'll call "X." Because of this, my DCT sat me down and said "Because people in our program have traditionally gone to internship sites that focus on "Y," we have a good track record with "Y" sites, and so our students are more likely to get interviews and to match there. You are interested in sites that focus on "X," and so you will not have that same benefit, because sites that focus on "X" don't typically get applicants from our program. If you want to match, you will need to apply to more sites than the rest of your cohort, and you will need to include a wider range of "reach" and "safety" sites." I matched to a very strong site, and so it worked out in the end, but I knew that it was going to be a tougher battle for me.

Does that make sense? I am not saying this because I'm an elitist and I want to be harsh; I am saying that there are sites (including mine) will not interview applicants from Alliant, Argosy, etc. It does not matter how good you feel about your training, or how confident you are. You can choose call it bias, but regardless of the label, it's not just perpetuated by other students - the fact is that there are internship sites out there that do not want to take students from those programs. Again, I'm not saying this to be harsh, but I am saying that denying this fact is not going to help anyone land an internship. If you are applying from one of those programs, you need to be aware that the "bias" exists, and plan your list of sites accordingly, because you are facing a tougher battle. Feel free to include some "reach" sites in the mix, but don't waste time and effort applying to lots of competitive sites that historically have not accepted students from programs like yours. Be realistic about your options, and focus your efforts accordingly.

I don't think anyone wants students from those programs to "feel badly about themselves." However, I do think it's important to go into this process with a realistic sense of the most likely outcomes.

I come from a funded PhD program, and was one of the only students in my program to be interested in a specific field, which I'll call "X." Because of this, my DCT sat me down and said "Because people in our program have traditionally gone to internship sites that focus on "Y," we have a good track record with "Y" sites, and so our students are more likely to get interviews and to match there. You are interested in sites that focus on "X," and so you will not have that same benefit, because sites that focus on "X" don't typically get applicants from our program. If you want to match, you will need to apply to more sites than the rest of your cohort, and you will need to include a wider range of "reach" and "safety" sites." I matched to a very strong site, and so it worked out in the end, but I knew that it was going to be a tougher battle for me.

Does that make sense? I am not saying this because I'm an elitist and I want to be harsh; I am saying that there are sites (including mine) will not interview applicants from Alliant, Argosy, etc. It does not matter how good you feel about your training, or how confident you are. You can choose call it bias, but regardless of the label, it's not just perpetuated by other students - the fact is that there are internship sites out there that do not want to take students from those programs. Again, I'm not saying this to be harsh, but I am saying that denying this fact is not going to help anyone land an internship. If you are applying from one of those programs, you need to be aware that the "bias" exists, and plan your list of sites accordingly, because you are facing a tougher battle. Feel free to include some "reach" sites in the mix, but don't waste time and effort applying to lots of competitive sites that historically have not accepted students from programs like yours. Be realistic about your options, and focus your efforts accordingly.

I agree with this. I am not encouraging bias based on training program but I think it is appropriate to acknowledge that internship sites do take type of training program into account when reviewing applicants. Even if people don't think it should happen, it does, and applicants (to both graduate schools and internships) should be aware of it so they can make informed decisions about their futures.

I am part of a training program at a VA and I'm not aware of any applicants from programs-that-will-not-be-named (professional schools, etc) that have been offered interviews at our site, at least in the past few years that I have been there. As with many other VAs, we get tons of fantastic applicants with excellent training and strong scientist-practitioner backgrounds. Somehow, sites have to make decisions about who gets an interview and who doesn't; sometimes they make that decision based on reputation of the training program. It is what it is, even if people don't think it should be that way.

Thanks to this thread, I now have (extremely!!!) rough drafts of my theoretical orientation and autobio essays, although they are over the word count right now. :)

racho: Statistically, applying to more than 16 sites doesn't increase your chances of matching. However I know people who applied to more than 20 last year and they felt that it helped them.

hmmm, I think it depends on your strategy and which sites you apply to. If you're strategic about it, then I do not see how applying to more sites would not increase your chances.

Applying to internship was not the best experience for me. I left everything until the last minute, despite my adviser prodding me to complete essays/CV/cover letters in a more efficient manner. I was applying to sites the night before the deadline. I have only myself to blame. I should have started earlier. Either way, I still landed an APA internship.

I attend a Psy.D. program (not a professional Psy.D. school), and I received interviews to a wide-range of places. To be honest, I think I really nailed my autobiographical essay, as that was often, but not always, the focal point of my interviews (sometimes I brought up the autobiographical essay, and sometimes the interviewer did).

My advice: Start as early as possible. I applied to about 24 sites. I wound up with 15-16 interviews (all APA sites). Every single interview was out of state. It cost me a small fortune ($3000+ plus). If you're strapped for cash, take this into consideration. Though, limiting yourself geographically will definitely hurt your chances. I think I overdid it, as many people in my program did not apply to that many sites. I guess some people are more anxious than others when it comes to this stuff :)

Make sure all 4 of your essays "hang together." They should tell a coherent narrative about who you are as a person and a professional. Make sure your autobiography is unique, and does not rehash what is on your CV (I attended X practicum site and did XYZ).

Good luck.

Last edited:
I am familiar in the article, but if I am mistaken, I don't see where it indicates that applicants from professional schools go unmatched because there is a bias against such programs. Saying that certain programs contribute to the imbalance more than others isn't the same as saying that students from professional schools are discriminated against because of their home institution.

I can only speak for my particular program, but I can assure you that our training is comparable to our neighboring Ph.D./university affiliated Psy.D. programs. My program is highly respected by the training sites in my area, which is a major metro area. I will be the first to admit, however, that with a larger cohort, it is easier for a student to fall through the training "cracks" so to speak. I can assure you that this is far more the exception than the rule at my program.

I have noticed that any bias that exists against professional schools is mostly perpetuated by students in other training programs, not by actual training sites though I am sure it happens. I'm truly not bothered by what people on here say about my program. I made my post because I don't want some unsuspecting internship applicant to read what others are saying on here and go into the internship application process feeling badly about themselves because of the school they go to. In addition to having good credentials, this process is also about confidence. Having a lack of confidence can certainly come across in the application materials and more importantly in interviews.

The fact of the matter is that biases still exist for certain programs and/or schools. It does not mean you go to a bad school or program. What it means is that interviewers may look at your training/qualifications in a certain way, even if their assumptions are totally inaccurate for application X. It does not make it right, but it's the way it is.

I must admit that I do like your attitude and your willingness to stand up for what you believe in. There are quite a few people on here who are elitists. They think others should kiss the ground they walk on because they attend program X. You made a choice to attend X school/program and you will make the best of it. Apply to the sites that you see are the best fit, and bring a strong and confident attitude with you when you interview (I am sure this will not be a problem for you - just do not come off as defensive or arrogant) :)

Make sure all 4 of your essays "hang together." They should tell a coherent narrative about who you are as a person and a professional. Make sure your autobiography is unique, and does not rehash what is on your CV (I attended X practicum site and did XYZ).

Everyone keeps saying this and I don't quite know how exactly how that's done. Any specific suggestions? What did you do for your autobio essay, if you don't mind saying?

Everyone keeps saying this and I don't quite know how exactly how that's done. Any specific suggestions? What did you do for your autobio essay, if you don't mind saying?

While I would agree to make the autobio unique and good, I wouldnt worry about any of that other nonsense.

While I would agree to make the autobio unique and good, I wouldnt worry about any of that other nonsense.

Well, that is not what my adviser has heard from internship directors. In addition, the feedback I received at my interviews was very similar to my above statement (they could tell a lot about me and who I was because my essays told a "story" about me). This advice has also been given to other people I know in both Ph.D. and Psy.D. programs, so there must be something to it.

Erg, you may be right. I do not know. I am not an internship director (obviously). Either way, I would not take a chance of writing 4 essays that did not "hang" together somewhat. There is a very good chance that writing 4 essays that hang together will not hurt you. However, there is a chance that writing 4 drastically different essays may hurt you. So, why even take that chance?

Last edited:
Well, that is not what my adviser has heard from internship directors. In addition, the feedback I received at my interviews was very similar to my above statement (they could tell a lot about me and who I was because my essays told a "story" about me). This advice has also been given to other people I know in both Ph.D. and Psy.D. programs, so there must be something to it.

Erg, you may be right. I do not know. I am not an internship director (obviously). Either way, I would not take a chance of writing 4 essays that did not "hang" together somewhat. There is a very good chance that writing 4 essays that hang together will not hurt you. However, there is a chance that writing 4 drastically different essays may hurt you. So, why even take that chance?

I am not either, but I am faculty and have never heard anything about linking them all together in some vague way. Its a not a literary contest. Each essay asks a different question. Write well and just answer each one. Obviously, if you write them all, then your "style" or attitude will probably be visible in all of them. Don't make it more complicated than it needs to be.

Moreover, evidence suggests that may times at least a couple of the 4 aren't even read. I reviewed a batch for my internship site couple years ago and after reading all essays for a few candidates, quickly concluded that its was too time consuming for the information I got out of it. "Oh, you come from a CBT perspective because of X. Y, and Z. Welcome to the club, pal. Oh, you value multicultural sensitivity/competence because of inspiring client X. Fantastic." I am sure I am not the only reviewer to make this conclusion.

I think the thing to remember is that essays disqualify if poorly written. I am not sure they get people invited by themselves. Numerous other variables are weighed much heavier.

Last edited:
I am not either, but I am faculty and have never heard anything about linking them all together in some vague way. Its a not a literary contest. Each essay asks a different question. Write well and just answer each one. Obviously, if you write them all, then your "style" or attitude will probably be visible in all of them. Don't make it more complicated than it needs to be.

Moreover, evidence suggests that may times at least a couple of the 4 aren't even read. I reviewed a batch for my internship site couple years ago and after reading all essays for a few candidates, quickly concluded that its was too time consuming for the information I got out of it. "Oh, you come from a CBT perspective because of X. Y, and Z. Welcome to the club, pal. Oh, you value multicultural sensitivity/competence because of inspiring client X. Fantastic." I am sure I am not the only reviewer to make this conclusion.

I think the thing to remember is that essays disqualify if poorly written. I am not sure they get people invited by themselves. Numerous other variables are weighed much heavier.

Thanks, but I never stated they get people invited by themselves.

I can only state what my adviser told me (what he has heard) and what other advisers have told their students, as well as what worked for me.

You may be right, you may be wrong.

Last edited: