2014 APPIC internship Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks, but I never stated they get people invited by themselves.

I can only state what my adviser told me (what he has heard) and what other advisers have told their students, as well as what worked for me.

You may be right, you may be wrong.

Yeah, it's just going to vary from site to site, and I don't know that there's any way to tell for certain how much (or little) emphasis will be placed on each individual essay. I can agree with erg (and you) that they should generally be well-written, as if nothing else they will likely at least be skimmed through. I can say that the paper materials in general do seem to carry a good bit of weight, and the essays (particularly the autobio one) do seem to help separate people out a bit. But beyond that, they're looked at together with the other paper materials to get an idea as to the quality of the applicant as a whole (e.g., this person has a wide range of clinical and research experiences, some pubs and posters at national conferences, letters that speak to their ability to work effectively and responsibly, and can string together a well-written series of essays; they're a good pick, let's interview them and see how they present in person).

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I just revised my autobio essay and I feel somewhat happier with it, although I still think it needs work.

Is anyone subscribed to the APPIC intern-network listserv? I'm wondering because I'm not getting any messages from it. Is it extremely quiet right now or is something wrong with my email?

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I just revised my autobio essay and I feel somewhat happier with it, although I still think it needs work.

Is anyone subscribed to the APPIC intern-network listserv? I'm wondering because I'm not getting any messages from it. Is it extremely quiet right now or is something wrong with my email?

That listserv is generally pretty quiet for some reason.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting. Other people's discussions made it sound like it was always super busy. Is there another one that that they might have been talking about?

Yeah, it's just going to vary from site to site, and I don't know that there's any way to tell for certain how much (or little) emphasis will be placed on each individual essay. I can agree with erg (and you) that they should generally be well-written, as if nothing else they will likely at least be skimmed through. I can say that the paper materials in general do seem to carry a good bit of weight, and the essays (particularly the autobio one) do seem to help separate people out a bit. But beyond that, they're looked at together with the other paper materials to get an idea as to the quality of the applicant as a whole (e.g., this person has a wide range of clinical and research experiences, some pubs and posters at national conferences, letters that speak to their ability to work effectively and responsibly, and can string together a well-written series of essays; they're a good pick, let's interview them and see how they present in person).

Agreed with what everything you said. Obviously they need to be well written.

As I stated, I can only offer a very subjective opinion. I felt like writing 4 essays that all "stuck" together was useful for me. Maybe there were other things that the site liked about me more. I guess it's impossible to know, unless you become someone who works for a site that runs an internship. Maybe my internship will let me partake in the process when I am there. :cool:

Last edited:
In my experience on the essays in determining interview invites, it's not as important as people think. In essence, it's just a way to look at red flags. My advice:

1.) Make sure the writing is technically sound. Check your spelling, grammar, etc. And make sure the writing flows coherently.

2.) Don't say the same thing in each essay.

3.) If you have raging Axis II pathology, keep it out of the essay. Overtly or covertly.

In the few applicant review meetings I've attended, essays were pretty far down the list in determining who got an invite and how they were ranked.

In my experience on the essays in determining interview invites, it's not as important as people think. In essence, it's just a way to look at red flags. My advice:

1.) Make sure the writing is technically sound. Check your spelling, grammar, etc. And make sure the writing flows coherently.

2.) Don't say the same thing in each essay.

3.) If you have raging Axis II pathology, keep it out of the essay. Overtly or covertly.

In the few applicant review meetings I've attended, essays were pretty far down the list in determining who got an invite and how they were ranked.

In your opinion (based on what you observed), what were the top 2 or 3 factors that internships looked for when interviewing and/or ranking people?

In your opinion (based on what you observed), what were the top 2 or 3 factors that internships looked for when interviewing and/or ranking people?

Probably depends in the internship/postdoc. The VA seems to favor people with prior VA experience. Honestly, your road is harder if you come from a Psy.D. At one VA, certain programs would not even be reviewed. They like to see some research (i.e., a few posters, a publication or two, even if it's not 1st author). Last, people who were well-rounded fared better. This means that had a good number of clinical hours doing various things, and some research experience.

Also, your letters of rec are key. If a letter writer says something bad about you, game over. Choose those people wisely.

Probably depends in the internship/postdoc. The VA seems to favor people with prior VA experience. Honestly, your road is harder if you come from a Psy.D. At one VA, certain programs would not even be reviewed. They like to see some research (i.e., a few posters, a publication or two, even if it's not 1st author). Last, people who were well-rounded fared better. This means that had a good number of clinical hours doing various things, and some research experience.

Also, your letters of rec are key. If a letter writer says something bad about you, game over. Choose those people wisely.

Well, as a Psy.D. I landed a competitive internships. However, I do not come from a professional school of psychology, so that may be the difference.

Yes, I can imagine if someone says something bad about you, it is game over. I can't imagine asking someone to write a letter that may come out bad. Why would someone ask someone who they do not feel confident with? (rhetorical question) Odd.

I had a couple thoughts in response to the above bolded points. I agree that if you can get VA experience prior to applying for a VA internship, great. HOWEVER, if you can't, make sure that you emphasize that you are interesting in a VA internship because you are strongly considering a career in the VA (and maybe why you are). I emphasized this in my individual cover letters for the VA sites, and it seemed to be quite effective. While I applied to different kinds of sites (VAs, academic medical centers, consortiums), all my interviews were at VAs even though I had no VA experience. Also, if you have training in empirically based treatments (CBT, CPT, PE, ACT) and you're applying to VAs that emphasize training in EBTs, I would highlight how that is a great match. The VA is rolling out EBTs on a wide scale, and when VAs get on board with this, from my experience they also look for folks who have that background and are interested in strengthening their training.

Also, it might be helpful to mention that if your CV is really research-heavy with a number of publications, presentations, etc., you might have to make an extra case that you're a good fit with programs that may not be really interested in recruiting really focused researchers if you're applying to some of these programs. I noticed that while "ghost rating" internship applications earlier this year (I participated in the review process as an intern, but my ratings did not count), that people at my relatively clinically-focused internship site would express concern in inviting an applicant with a lot of research because "we might not be a good fit." Unless it was explicitly stated, it was assumed the applicant was interested in a more research-oriented career and be a better fit for more research-focused places (e.g. WPIC, Brown) and would likely match at a more research-focused place, so why take an interview slot for them. However, knowing that people apply to clinical internships for a variety of reasons, you might need to make an extra effort to outline why the site would be a good fit for your interests. Perhaps it's a more unique training opportunity, you're considering part-time clinical practice and want good clinical training, you're going to likely be supervising graduate students in therapy when you're in academia, etc.

Well, as a Psy.D. I landed a competitive internships. However, I do not come from a professional school of psychology, so that may be the difference.

Yes, I can imagine if someone says something bad about you, it is game over. I can't imagine asking someone to write a letter that may come out bad. Why would someone ask someone who they do not feel confident with? (rhetorical question) Odd.

Yeah, we interviewed PsyD's regularly, but there are certain programs (Argosy, Alliant, Fielding) that get filed automatically in the circular filing bin by the door. And you would be surprised at some of the lackluster or negative letters of rec.

Yeah, we interviewed PsyD's regularly, but there are certain programs (Argosy, Alliant, Fielding) that get filed automatically in the circular filing bin by the door. And you would be surprised at some of the lackluster or negative letters of rec.

I am hoping my internship site lets me be involved (as much as an intern can be involved) in the internship process while I am there. I would definitely like to see how the process pans out.

Yeah, seems like it would be wise to ask those people who you know would write you an awesome letter of recc. I feel that if a person cannot write you a good letter of recc, they should tell you that. Seems unfair to agree to write the letter, then write something bad.

Interesting. Other people's discussions made it sound like it was always super busy. Is there another one that that they might have been talking about?

I think I recall it being pretty quiet during the early summer and having the same concern that I was missing something. It should pick up toward the end of summer/end of fall.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are any of you in a school psychology program? I'm trying to figure out how to count my hours accrued in the schools. Can we count hours that were supervised by a licensed school psychologist if they have their phds? How are you counting consultation hours with teachers?

Are any of you in a school psychology program? I'm trying to figure out how to count my hours accrued in the schools. Can we count hours that were supervised by a licensed school psychologist if they have their phds? How are you counting consultation hours with teachers?

Yes, I see no reason why you cant count hours that were supervised by a licensed school psychologist. On the appic application, it does not indicate that supervision hours have to be by a clinical or counseling psychologist. But you may want to check with others as well.

On the appic application, I believe there is a section that includes consultation hours.

How accurate are the min # of assessment and intervention hours listed in the appic directory? I've noticed that some sites will have a minimum # listed, but when you look at their brochure it doesn't say anything about a minimum. Other sites don't have a minimum # listed, but when you look at their brochure they have one.

How accurate are the min # of assessment and intervention hours listed in the appic directory? I've noticed that some sites will have a minimum # listed, but when you look at their brochure it doesn't say anything about a minimum. Other sites don't have a minimum # listed, but when you look at their brochure they have one.

I personally would go by the program's website over the APPIC directory, as the latter might not have been updated yet for this year. However, when in doubt, you can always email the site directly and ask.

Of course it'll vary, but from my personal experience on the internship training committee last year for my program, here's the general order of what I looked at (internship with a research component):

1. Cover letter: Why is this person applying here? Does this seem like a genuine fit? Have they articulated their experience and interests that tells me they are qualified, enthusiastic, and have done their homework? Does this person's long-term professional interests fit with the training here?

2. CV: Does this jive with what I just read in the cover letter? Is there a professional trajectory so I have an idea where this person is headed? Does this person have a sufficient research background (for research-related rotation)? Any awards suggesting this person stands out?

3. Clinical hours: Do they meet the minimums? Beyond that, I don't care if someone has 500 or 1500 hours; I feel the interview will get at clinical experience much better than documented #s. I'm done here, but I'd probably have to review this part more if we had a miniscule application:invite ratio.

4. Letters of recommendation: Does this supervisor/adviser appear genuinely enthused about this person? Are these positive comments being backed up? How is this person any different from the other "hard working, pleasant personality, natural clinical skills, enthusiastic" applicants?

5. Essay 1: Is this someone I could work with? Is this someone I would want to work with? Do I want to ask this person more about internship?

6. Essays 2-4: I'm mainly looking for red flags here. This area can't help all that much but can hurt if concerns pop out.

Top 2-3 factors we look for in an intern:

1. Match - using CV/cover letter - how is this person a good fit for our site's training? How can we move them forward in their career?

2. Letters of rec - who they are from, and anything that may distinguish them (top 1%, top 5% of students, "best student" we've had, and they should generally be a joy to work with and train)

I'll add, top things that annoy us:

1. Clearly wanting the internship for geographic reasons (people actually write this!)

2. Oversharing in personal statements. We want to know who you are, but we don't want to hear every gory detail about your personal therapy, your IBS, or your mother's drinking.

I'll add, top things that annoy us:

1. Clearly wanting the internship for geographic reasons (people actually write this!)

2. Oversharing in personal statements. We want to know who you are, but we don't want to hear every gory detail about your personal therapy, your IBS, or your mother's drinking.

Yes and yes.It's understandable that applicants can sometimes be restricted geographically, but sites are not. As soon as it looks like geography is a primary reason you sent in the application, fit is going to be a bit obstacle to overcome.

The only time I've heard of geography being considered by a site is when the site itself is located in an area where personal adjustment or diversity experience could potentially be important. For example, I came from a university in a large metropolitan urban area and was asked by a few sites in isolated rural areas how I thought I'd adapt.

With regard to "serious" personal details in essay 1, one of the guidelines I've heard and went with during reviews was, "I want to relate, but I don't want to relive it." Show me how this makes you a better clinician without making me feel like we've invaded some personal space.

Why is geographic reasons a problem for you?!

Hopefully many other reasons are mentioned, but If an applicant mentions that they like the area, have family in the area, need to stay in the area for family reasons, or relocate due to spouse...I wouldn't bat an eye. I am human being with family and life/interests outside psychology too. Have some empathy, folks!

Sure, I have empathy for those with geographic restrictions. I just meant using that as your primary reason for choosing a site doesn't sell us on why you are a good fit.

Why is geographic reasons a problem for you?!

Hopefully many other reasons are mentioned, but If an applicant mentions that they like the area, have family in the area, need to stay in the area for family reasons, or relocate due to spouse...I wouldn't bat an eye. I am human being with family and life/interests outside psychology too. Have some empathy, folks!

This is exactly the issue. It's not purely geography, but it becomes an issue when everything about fit is coming off wishy washy or vague. If it looks like you're only applying to that program because it's close by, you are facing an uphill battle as to why you should be ranked as highly or higher than applicants with good qualifications that also show their experience and training needs are compatible with the internship.

Fit.

This is exactly the issue. It's not purely geography, but it becomes an issue when everything about fit is coming off wishy washy or vague. If it looks like you're only applying to that program because it's close by, you are facing an uphill battle as to why you should be ranked as highly or higher than applicants with good qualifications that also show their experience and training needs are compatible with the internship.

Fit.

Right, But I kinda have the view that TDs and sites need to calm down with all that a little bit. Its ONE year, and frankly, its a flooded environment and people just want something...I get it.

I applied to about 3 sites when I went through purely because they were in or within 50 miles of my hometown. They were not "optimal" fits, but I really didn't care.

I am applying to about 20 sites, not geographically restricted but a couple of my sites are within an hour of my family - right now I live about 1000 miles from my nearest relative. In my cover letters I give several reasons why the sites are a good fit, but then I also mention proximity to family. I did this last year and none of the sites where I mentioned geography interviewed me, but then again most of the sites that I didn't mention geography didn't either. Should I take that out?

I am applying to about 20 sites, not geographically restricted but a couple of my sites are within an hour of my family - right now I live about 1000 miles from my nearest relative. In my cover letters I give several reasons why the sites are a good fit, but then I also mention proximity to family. I did this last year and none of the sites where I mentioned geography interviewed me, but then again most of the sites that I didn't mention geography didn't either. Should I take that out?

I personally wouldn't take the risk and discuss anything about geography in your actual essays. However, during the interview after you highlight all the professional reasons for why the site is a perfect fit, then you can add that you also love the location, have family in the area, and think you will be happy living in the area etc. Geography should never come across as the primary reason. I got interviews pretty much everywhere i applied for internship and postdoc and never mentioned anything about geography in the essays, but did at opportune times during the interviews (although did not emphasize it too much either). Each time I mentioned it, I got a very positive responsive from the interviewer (e.g., often times they would discuss what they love about the location).

Right, But I kinda have the view that TDs and sites need to calm down with all that a little bit. Its ONE year, and frankly, its a flooded environment and people just want something...I get it.

I applied to about 3 sites when I went through purely because they were in or within 50 miles of my hometown. They were not "optimal" fits, but I really didn't care.

Do TDs actually get worked up about that? When I agreed with the description of reviewing an application where geography is the clear reason for applying as "annoying," this is pretty low on the scale.

I certainly empathize with geographic restrictions. On the other hand, internship is an increasingly competitive process, so you really need to highlight arguably two key issues: (1) that you're qualified and (2) that you're a good fit for the position. With programs sometimes trying to narrow 150+ applications for 3-6 spots, it can be challenging to separate yourself from the pack. If you have several evenly qualified applicants, it's almost certain the applicant who emphasizes how their experience and interests match the position is going to appear stronger and more memorable than the applicant who leaves the impression that it's not the site but where it's located that's the primary interest.

I wouldn't necessarily advise against mentioning geography in cover letters, especially if it's a bonus that makes the site all the more attractive. When it comes off as the primary reason for applying, though, you probably haven't sold the idea that you're a good fit for the actual internship.

I think it is how you mention it. In my cover letters, I stated that I was primarily applying to sites located in urban settings because I was interested in treating inner-city children and families, and that I was intrigued by the complexity of urban life. But I think this is much different than saying, "I am applying to X because my family is close."

Most of my externships were in big cities and I was born and raised in NYC. Interestingly enough, I received interviews in most internship sites that were located in urban settings. The 3 rural sites I applied to I did not receive an interview (I obviously took out the paragraph in my cover letter talking about urban psychology, and still did not receive an interview). I matched to a site that is located in the 2nd biggest city in the US.

Again, it is how you mention it. I know a few people who applied to very rural settings, and stated in their cover letters that they were interested in rural psychology.

As stated, I think it is totally fine to mention geography. Some people are interested in urban psychology and others are interested in rural psychology. What is wrong with mentioning that? I just think it's how you go about it, i.e., whether you say you have an interest in working with inner city or rural clients, as opposed to saying you just want internship X because my parents live down the block.

Last edited:
Would anyone feel comfortable sharing how many of their intervention hours are adult therapy hours? ... I have a considerable amount of intervention hours; however, my hours are really lopsided... I am looking at VA's and military internship sites....

If intervention = Therapy + Assessment, then I have about 750 hours with adults. Just therapy is about 625 with adults.

If you are looking at VA sites, I expect you have done a prac at a VA seeing adults right?

Not everyone who's applying to a VA has done a VA prac. I haven't, and I'm applying to some VA sites.

Not everyone who's applying to a VA has done a VA prac. I haven't, and I'm applying to some VA sites.

I matched to a VA internship (or more accurately a consortium that was paid through the VA) without any prior VA experience, although having some can certainly help. I'd say it's probably fairly mandatory that the trainee have a decent amount and variety of adult assessment/intervention experience, though, even if it isn't in a VA.

I haven't updated my hours in a month, but so far I have the following:

Intervention Total: 595.72 (not including assessments)
Assessment Total: 388.80 (not including interventions)
Supervision Total: 457.5

I also have 26 adult integrated reports and 35 youth integrated reports.

I just started a VA practicum this July as well as a practicum at a jail. Additionally, I will be completing a supervision practicum in the Fall. I'm hoping to increase my adult individual therapy experience.

My individual adult therapy hours including predicted fall hours will total about 200-250; however, I have a lot of supervised adult experience with intakes, system wide interventions, and consultations.

I also have about 6 poster presentations, 2 pubs, and 2 symposiums for 2013.

I want to be competitive for VA's and military sites.

Last edited:
AcronymAllergy, do you remember how many adult therapy hours you had when you applied?

If intervention = Therapy + Assessment, then I have about 750 hours with adults. Just therapy is about 625 with adults.

If you are looking at VA sites, I expect you have done a prac at a VA seeing adults right?

A classmate of mine landed a VA internship, and never completed a VA internship.

though I suspect doing a VA internship cannot hurt :)

AcronymAllergy, do you remember how many adult therapy hours you had when you applied?

As I was neuropsych-heavy in grad school, intervention was embarrassingly dwarfed by assessment--I think I had somewhere around 150-200 hours...? All with adults.

As of right now, I have about 210 individual therapy hours with adults (I have more if you include intakes). However, I am research-focused and on the lower end for hours of those applying.

Last edited:
It's encouraging that so many can land a site with no direct experience. I figured with the level of competition, everyone needs experience that fits closely with the types of sites they are applying to.

Ive got about 550 adult intervention hours. Trying to boost my assessment hours this summer. . . good times!

I am applying to college counseling centers and some consortiums and wondering if people here who have gone through the process before wouldn't mind highlighting some things they think one should include in their materials in order to stand out from the rest?

In your experience, what things made your application stand out (to you at least :))?

I am applying to college counseling centers and some consortiums and wondering if people here who have gone through the process before wouldn't mind highlighting some things they think one should include in their materials in order to stand out from the rest?

In your experience, what things made your application stand out (to you at least :))?

I got interviews at all the college counseling centers I applied to, but only applied to about 6-7 overall and ended up not ranking any of them highly because I wanted a VA internship in the end. I emphasized my experience and commitment to working with college/graduate students (even at practicums that were not at college counseling centers), passion/commitment to diversity issues, experience with crisis intervention and my competence and experience with short-term psychotherapy. I clearly linked my past experience and interests to what the site offers and made a case for why I was the best fit. My essays were not particular at all to college counseling centers, but my essay # 1 was very unique (although professional at the same time). I had the same essays for every site and had no issues at all (college counseling, va, AMC). Obviously the cover letters were very personalized.

A classmate of mine landed a VA internship, and never completed a VA internship.

though I suspect doing a VA internship cannot hurt :)

We have had several students in our program with no VA practica land VA internships. (Though they all had a lot of adult intervention hours using EBTs.)

The students in my program also are repeatedly successful each year with VA's, both receiving interviews and matching, WITHOUT VA practicum experience.

The students in my program also are repeatedly successful each year with VA's, both receiving interviews and matching, WITHOUT VA practicum experience.

Yea, but could it be that you go to a research heavy program where the applicants are applying to the research heavy VAs...where your interest in academia and pub history matter as much if not more than any of your clinical experience/exposure?

I got interviews at all the college counseling centers I applied to, but only applied to about 6-7 overall and ended up not ranking any of them highly because I wanted a VA internship in the end. I emphasized my experience and commitment to working with college/graduate students (even at practicums that were not at college counseling centers), passion/commitment to diversity issues, experience with crisis intervention and my competence and experience with short-term psychotherapy. I clearly linked my past experience and interests to what the site offers and made a case for why I was the best fit. My essays were not particular at all to college counseling centers, but my essay # 1 was very unique (although professional at the same time). I had the same essays for every site and had no issues at all (college counseling, va, AMC). Obviously the cover letters were very personalized.
That makes sense!

When you say your essay # 1 was unique; what do you mean exactly?

And if you don't mind me asking, what were some of the college counseling centers you applied to? (Only if you are comfortable sharing!)

THANKS!

Yea, but could it be that you go to a research heavy program where the applicants are applying to the research heavy VAs...where your interest in academia and pub history matter as much if not more than any of your clinical experience/exposure?

This is anecdotal, but every year my program (which is not very research-oriented) matches people to VA internships without their having any prior VA experience.

That makes sense!

When you say your essay # 1 was unique; what do you mean exactly?

And if you don't mind me asking, what were some of the college counseling centers you applied to? (Only if you are comfortable sharing!)

THANKS!

Essay # 1 is an important essay and I think one of the tougher ones to write. Everyone that I know that matched at a great site and got many interviews, had a unique essay in the sense that they weaved in the personal and the professional in a compelling way (with good boundaries obviously). Some people tell a story about a prior career they had and what led them into psychology. Other people write very effective essays about family and cultural issues growing up that altered their worldview and have a large impact on the way they are as professionals/psychologists. I read some excellent essays like these. Not like the essays that I read in the APPIC book that sounded very boring to me.

You want to write something that will make the internship staff want to meet you and at the same time you don't want to sound crazy or lack boundaries.

I only applied to college counseling centers that seemed like a good fit in the sense that I was able to easily make a connection between my experiences/interests and what they offer. That is going to be really key in getting you an interview. So if the college counseling center emphasizes CBT and short-term treatment, you will probably not get an interview if you don't have CBT and short-term treatment experience. It also helps to have one year of experience at a college counseling center. Some college counseling centers emphasize outreach a lot more than others so be careful if you haven't had this experience.

Last edited:
We're a research-heavy program that routinely sends people to non-research-heavy VAs (this is usually the path those who decide not to pursue academia take) who very rarely have VA experience given we only recently started a prac there.

As for hours, I have ~550 adult intervention. 200 individual therapy, 250 group, 100 supervision of other students. ~12-15 integrated reports (all adults) and 250 assessment hours. 0 hours with kids, but I'm not applying anywhere there would be required rotations with kids.

On a totally unrelated note - how are people going about narrowing their sites down? I'm particularly interested in those applying to VAs. Our DCT usually encourages us to do a few of the non-research-heavy VAs as backups. From their brochures, aside from the handful of research-heavy ones they seem to be about 95% the same with virtually nothing I can find to distinguish them. I've got a core list of about 12-15 "definites" that is basically a list of all the research-heavy places with people in my area of study (though I'm sure it will change somewhat once info is updated for this next cycle). I then have a list of "Would be fine" that is basically every VA. I'm thinking of just tacking on a couple in less desirable places since they don't get nearly as many applications, but curious what others are looking at to differentiate them. Its easy with the research places where I can look up what people are publishing but I'm finding it much more difficult to differentiate the more clinical places.

On a totally unrelated note - how are people going about narrowing their sites down? I'm particularly interested in those applying to VAs. Our DCT usually encourages us to do a few of the non-research-heavy VAs as backups. From their brochures, aside from the handful of research-heavy ones they seem to be about 95% the same with virtually nothing I can find to distinguish them. I've got a core list of about 12-15 "definites" that is basically a list of all the research-heavy places with people in my area of study (though I'm sure it will change somewhat once info is updated for this next cycle). I then have a list of "Would be fine" that is basically every VA. I'm thinking of just tacking on a couple in less desirable places since they don't get nearly as many applications, but curious what others are looking at to differentiate them. Its easy with the research places where I can look up what people are publishing but I'm finding it much more difficult to differentiate the more clinical places.

How are the non-research VA's backups for people from research heavy programs? They get at least the same # of applicants and will expect more clinical hours, if anything. Many also have fewer spots. Seems like a strange idea to me because you are applying to a place that is not actually a good fit with your long-term goals.

Actually the hours expectations don't really seem to be much different. I've found tons of VAs that don't get very many applications compared to most others I'm looking at (I'm guessing mostly because of location) but would still be fine for me for a year. 800 hours seems to put me well in the running for the overwhelming majority of VAs. Its seemed to work out fine for others in our program and it does make sense to try and get some range of competitiveness in there - and there really aren't any less competitive research-heavy places.

I'm not 100% convinced its worth it for me since one glance at my CV and its pretty clear I belong at a clinical science place and know people at most of my top choices so I'm hoping to land one of those. However, I'm not certain I see much harm in it either. Internship seems only of trivial importance when it comes to long-term goals as long as it is APA accredited. Given how much easier the post-doc market is, I think it makes sense just to get internship done with even if its not one that's going to benefit me in the long term. It would just be nice not to have to move again, which is more likely if I end up at an AMC!

Last edited: