2014 Match Rank List Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just finalized my list as well!

1. MGH
2. Brigham
3. Penn
4. Columbia
5. BID
6. Cornell
7. NYU
8. Hopkins
9. Yale
10. Northwestern
11. Michigan
12. Duke

Wish I could go to take a three week vacation! Still two more months of rotations. Ugh.

Members don't see this ad.

Finalized :) Good luck everyone!

1. UCSF
2. MGH
3. NYU
4. Columbia
5. BIDMC
6. Penn
7. UW
8. Mt Sinai
9. Northwestern
10. Cornell
11. Emory
12. Yale

So I have a slightly similar situation. I have 1-3 set but again they would be less likely in reality and my number 4 and 5 are UPMC and Tufts. In terms of program UPMC hands down because they have such a strom program but family is near the boston area and my wife would really love to stay close to home. I like peds, regional, and cards but that could change and I just want to make sure I have the resources available for any area I decide to move towards. Also with the way medicine is headed I feel like ill most likely be working for a hospital in the future. So my question is would going to a place like tufts over UPMC put me at a disadvantage if I decide to work in an academic setting or gettingn a job most likely in and around the northeast? I would really appreciate any advice on this situation.

I am no expert, but I think UPMC has a stronger reputation. I liked Tufts too, and Boston is a nicer place to be IMO. If academic medicine is your priority, I think UPMC is a better choice. If quality of life/being close to home is your priority, choose Tufts. I heard that residents from Tufts sometimes get fellowships in the other Boston (Harvard) programs often, so you can probably still be competitive for academic positions if that works out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just an FYI but an alternate thread is usually created for posting and aggregating rank lists. It usually starts up on wednesday. Obviously post your list here if you'd like, but I just thought I'd mention it!

Reactions: 1 user
Just an FYI but an alternate thread is usually created for posting and aggregating rank lists. It usually starts up on wednesday. Obviously post your list here if you'd like, but I just thought I'd mention it!
Yeah, I was thinking of doing that once the lists are finalized. That's also a good place to post lists anonymously if you're worried of someone spotting you.

Are program directors allowed to change their lists after 9pm on 2/26?

I'm looking for some last-minute advice on UNC and Wake Forest. I feel that Wake is much stronger across the board than UNC, but Chapel Hill is a much more desirable location than Winston-Salem. Is my perception of the strength of these 2 programs accurate? If so, is the difference between these 2 programs great enough that I should choose the less desirable location? I'm torn, and would appreciate any and all opinions. Thanks!

Any advice on ranking some of the Midwest programs? I would appreciate hearing your thoughts... Goal is to do a fellowship in either CT or CC following residency.

(in no particular order)
Ohio State
Cincinnati
CCF
Univ of Louisville
Univ of Kentucky
Toledo

Well then the title of this thread is very misleading.

Be a sport would ya and copy my list over to the new thread when it's up and running. Thanks boss.

Please HELP me rank these !

Drexel
Downstate
NSLIJ

and

St. Joseph's
Rutgers Newark

Last edited:
Hey everyone....Last minute decisions and been going back and forth between

Miami (C/A), UT-Houston (C/A), and NYU (A)

Thoughts on ranking would be very much appreciated

Members don't see this ad :)
finalized list:
1). Mount Sinai Florida
2). North shore LIJ
3). SUNY Downstate
4). CCF
5). UF Jacksonville
6). Baystate
7). Rochester

question is if u don't match at an advanced track does it go to the next program or your supplemental list for prelim/transitional programs?

Nice list Otis! Congrats!
I have been trying to figure out how to rank NS/LIJ on my list and think it may be at the top of my list. Just curious as to your reasoning for ranking it #2/7.

My thoughts on the program is that there is:
-Strong Neuro - Chiari Institute
-Strong Peds - Cohen Children's Hospital - High volume of ped's cardiac. - Not that I am looking to go into pedi hearts, but I can imagine that they are complex cases and great experience.
-Looks to have diverse cardiac exposure
-Will be joining an already established anesthesia department, meaning that we as residents are not needed to make the dept function, so we would optimally be put in the interesting cases.
-No trauma
-No transplant

@KvnLeere
I am in the same predicament. Not sure how to rank LIJ, although I do like it for all the same reasons you listed.

Anyone, please feel free to chime in.

My top 3 programs are set already. I could use some input with:

4) MCW
5) CCF
6) LIJ
7) Rush
8) UMN
9) Cook
10) SUNY Downstate

At present I have them ranked in the order listed. Also, would I be wrong in ranking LIJ after CCF, location being no issue. Thanks.

I have been trying to figure out how to rank NS/LIJ on my list and think it may be at the top of my list. Just curious as to your reasoning for ranking it #2/7.

-Strong Peds - Cohen Children's Hospital - High volume of ped's cardiac. - Not that I am looking to go into pedi hearts, but I can imagine that they are complex cases and great experience.
-Will be joining an already established anesthesia department, meaning that we as residents are not needed to make the dept function, so we would optimally be put in the interesting cases.
-No trauma
-No transplant
Havent had that much feedback that they are interested in me :(. how's ure list coming?

Last edited:
Havent had that much feedback that they are interested in me :( otherwise it would be my #1. how's ure list coming?

This is really silly. You have absolutely nothing to lose by ranking the program you would most want to train at #1 even if you don't think you're ranked highly at that program. It does not affect your chances at matching at your #2. The match is structured in this manner. Take advantage!

This is really silly. You have absolutely nothing to lose by ranking the program you would most want to train at #1 even if you don't think you're ranked highly at that program. It does not affect your chances at matching at your #2. The match is structured in this manner. Take advantage!
oh ok. I really don't understand how the Match process works, thought that programs that you have more of a chance of you should rank higher?

oh ok. I really don't understand how the Match process works, thought that programs that you have more of a chance of you should rank higher?

holy **** we're 36 hours from rank lists being due, how do you not understand how this works? You should always rank programs in the EXACT ORDER THAT YOU WANT. With absolutely no weight given to what you believe the program thinks about you. Even if you're an IMG with a 195 step 1 and MGH accidentally sent you an interview invite and even admitted doing so, you should still put them #1 on your list.

Reactions: 4 users
Yeah, if there's one thing anybody needs to know about the match it's that it gives preference to applicant's choice.
There is no loss in ranking programs that you don't have a chance at above programs that told you you're going to rank there.

Hey guys could really use some input with MCW, CCF, Rush, LIJ, and UMN. I realize LIJ different in terms of location, but location is least of my worries. Any help is appreciated.
I really enjoyed my interview experience at MCW and UMN, although I feel MCW offers more resources and better training. Personally I didn't get a good feeling from both CCF and Rush.
LIJ is a new program, with all the resources for becoming an excellent program in the following years, but I am worried about teaching, especially with all the restructuring with anesthesiology boards.

I'm looking for some last-minute advice on UNC and Wake Forest. I feel that Wake is much stronger across the board than UNC, but Chapel Hill is a much more desirable location than Winston-Salem. Is my perception of the strength of these 2 programs accurate? If so, is the difference between these 2 programs great enough that I should choose the less desirable location? I'm torn, and would appreciate any and all opinions. Thanks!

This is just my honest opinion. I think you are comparing apples to oranges here. They have had recent changes in leadership at UNC in the past couple of years because of the trajectory of their residency. They had to hire a PR firm a few years ago to help them sell the program because it was struggling as well. They failed to match several spots recently. Had back to back 2 year accredidations because they failed to fix the problem (critical care experience and hours violations, which by the way should NEVER happen in anesthesiology residencies). And all of this is objective data given by outside resources (both residents who chose not to match there and the outside entities whose sole purpose is to evaluate a program's residency). Now if they had received a 4 out 5 year accrediation, that's nit picking. Not a big deal. But back to back two year accredidations? If you interviewed at a place the caliber of Wake, I am not sure why you would settle for a place like UNC unless you needed to for family reasons. Wake has had a 5 out of 5 year accredidation cycle for multiple decades and is a name that can land you a job anywhere in the country if you want one.This mis-leading idea that "as long as I train at one of my top 5 residencies I will have the same exact education" is bogus. Can that really possibly be true? I will say that Wake is certainly stronger in OB (Mayo residents will train with us because this is so strong), Neuro (PD is a neuro guy, awesome training here), Regional (our numbers are legitimately insanse, no need for fellowshp), and chronic pain (top 5 fellowship with world renowned pain docs). Our airway experience is second to none. Our CT and peds experiences are very strong and getting stronger. Our thoracic numbers are getting insanely high. Critical care is okay here, but easily the weakest of the subspecialities. We just dont place a huge emphasis on it, though you get plenty of ICU experience. Attendings are very educational focused as is the PD. Everything is intentionally done to optimize your education. You are not a cog in the wheel of the work force as a resident. You are here for an education.

Is chapel hill more desirable? Probably. But Winston-Salem is not bad at all and is the most affordable city in the country with a top 10-15 anesthesia residency in it. My wife and I own a 1200 sq foot house, 3 BR, 2 baths, garage, fenced yard, 5 minutes from Baptist for $630 per month. Hard to beat with the quality of training you will receive at Wake.Apples and oranges. You'll be very competent coming from UNC, but I think that anyone would tell you Wake is stronger (including a recent chief who went to UNC and came back to Wake after a year because of what he thought about UNC's program).

Hey guys could really use some input with MCW, CCF, Rush, LIJ, and UMN. I realize LIJ different in terms of location, but location is least of my worries. Any help is appreciated.
I really enjoyed my interview experience at MCW and UMN, although I feel MCW offers more resources and better training. Personally I didn't get a good feeling from both CCF and Rush.
LIJ is a new program, with all the resources for becoming an excellent program in the following years, but I am worried about teaching, especially with all the restructuring with anesthesiology boards.

Your post answered your question. From reading your post the order appears to be 1)MCW, 2)UMN, with CCF, Rush, and LIJ all tied for last.

Bottom line: Imagine Match Day. Now imagine a white envelope with your name printed on it in black letters. Imagine opening this envelope, unfolding the paper and seeing:

2014 Match Results

Applicant Name: ford7044

Congratulations, you have matched!

Program Name: XXXXX

Take every single program at which you interviewed and put their name into the XXXXX above. Assess your immediate reaction/feeling to seeing program XXXXX's name.

Then make your ROL accordingly, certify it, certify it again, and go enjoy 4th year.

cheers,
-ph8

Reactions: 3 users
This is just my honest opinion. I think you are comparing apples to oranges here. They have had recent changes in leadership at UNC in the past couple of years because of the trajectory of their residency. They had to hire a PR firm a few years ago to help them sell the program because it was struggling as well. They failed to match several spots recently. Had back to back 2 year accredidations because they failed to fix the problem (critical care experience and hours violations, which by the way should NEVER happen in anesthesiology residencies). And all of this is objective data given by outside resources (both residents who chose not to match there and the outside entities whose sole purpose is to evaluate a program's residency). Now if they had received a 4 out 5 year accrediation, that's nit picking. Not a big deal. But back to back two year accredidations? If you interviewed at a place the caliber of Wake, I am not sure why you would settle for a place like UNC unless you needed to for family reasons. Wake has had a 5 out of 5 year accredidation cycle for multiple decades and is a name that can land you a job anywhere in the country if you want one.This mis-leading idea that "as long as I train at one of my top 5 residencies I will have the same exact education" is bogus. Can that really possibly be true? I will say that Wake is certainly stronger in OB (Mayo residents will train with us because this is so strong), Neuro (PD is a neuro guy, awesome training here), Regional (our numbers are legitimately insanse, no need for fellowshp), and chronic pain (top 5 fellowship with world renowned pain docs). Our airway experience is second to none. Our CT and peds experiences are very strong and getting stronger. Our thoracic numbers are getting insanely high. Critical care is okay here, but easily the weakest of the subspecialities. We just dont place a huge emphasis on it, though you get plenty of ICU experience. Attendings are very educational focused as is the PD. Everything is intentionally done to optimize your education. You are not a cog in the wheel of the work force as a resident. You are here for an education.

Is chapel hill more desirable? Probably. But Winston-Salem is not bad at all and is the most affordable city in the country with a top 10-15 anesthesia residency in it. My wife and I own a 1200 sq foot house, 3 BR, 2 baths, garage, fenced yard, 5 minutes from Baptist for $630 per month. Hard to beat with the quality of training you will receive at Wake.Apples and oranges. You'll be very competent coming from UNC, but I think that anyone would tell you Wake is stronger (including a recent chief who went to UNC and came back to Wake after a year because of what he thought about UNC's program).

Thank you. That is what I needed to hear.

@ph8
Thanks for your response. In all honesty I would be happy to match in any program on my list, as long as I get to be a competent anesthesiologist. But, these recent posts about LIJ has be second guessing myself, and I just want to assure myself that I have not miss calculated LIJ's rank on my list. I just want to match somewhere and get on with my training, all this uncertainty and inability to be satisfied needs to come to a conclusion.
I hope to open that white envelope soon.

Hi everyone!
I would love to get your thoughts on Rutgers-NJMS vs Rutgers-RJWMS vs UMASS vs UCONN.
I liked all 4 places. Any input (inside or not) on these programs. Am hoping to do a fellowship (cardiac or CC) afterwards.
Thank you!

Adding SUNY downstate into the mix with NJMS vs RWJMS vs UMASS vs UCONN
Any thoughts, anyone? It would be so much appreciated. I'm having such a hard time ranking them. :(

Random question....

When do programs submit their lists? It isn't tomorrow night is it?

Adding SUNY downstate into the mix with NJMS vs RWJMS vs UMASS vs UCONN
Any thoughts, anyone? It would be so much appreciated. I'm having such a hard time ranking them. :(
This one is really just location. Ask yourself where you would be happier. I go to rwj if you have any questions and honestly between rwj and njms I think it's sort of a wash. They have liver transplants and we don't. Our hospital is also nicer than the Newark program's, but you'll get solid training at either one.

Can any one chime in how programs decide who to rank for their categorical vs. advanced spot? And would it be considered inappropriate, or worse frowned upon, if I conveyed my interest in categorical path.

I am no expert, but I think UPMC has a stronger reputation. I liked Tufts too, and Boston is a nicer place to be IMO. If academic medicine is your priority, I think UPMC is a better choice. If quality of life/being close to home is your priority, choose Tufts. I heard that residents from Tufts sometimes get fellowships in the other Boston (Harvard) programs often, so you can probably still be competitive for academic positions if that works out.

tufts anesthesia, upmc fellowship. i personally thought the anesthesia residents at UPMC were not as strong as at my co residents at tufts, though i did not have much first hand anesthesia residency experience there, i knew and worked with many residents. you get your hands held in a very controlled environment at upmc. you just blend into the crowd and do your little rotation under the radar. yes you work with some big names and by the end you are very competent to do a variety of cases dont get me wrong. i got the sense that tufts was much more hard core. you are getting better, earlier at tufts. and yes maybe you dont do as many lung transplants, but for the everyday stuff you come out of tufts a rock star, moreso than at upmc i feel where practical knowledge and expertise is lost in a big academic setting. i know you can pretty much do anything after tufts, and you get to live in boston, youve been to pittsburh right? no brainer in my opinion. tufts is better training, same or better options for fellowship/career. in the north east i definitely enjoy saying i trained at tufts, when i say upmc its like huh why? my fellowship was awesome, the subsepecialties there are world class, but i really do think the general residency program , while great, is not as strong as tufts. happy to elaborate via pm, just wanted to add my .02

Need last minute help for the upper-middle part of my list. Anyone willing to share their thoughts on Mt Sinai (NY) vs Cornell vs Upenn? Dont feel like my impressions from the interview day were adequate enough to make an informed decision about these places (location isnt a big deal for me).

Anyone have any thoughts on the University of Utah?! Thanks!
Like this program a lot. Although, I ended up not ranking it highly because well…it seems like they work like dogs. They know this is really hurting them when it comes to who they can get. They tried to sweeten the pot by paying residents for every hour they work past 6pm. This is forced not voluntary. Some of the most red-eyed residents and worn out wives I saw on the trail were at the utah dinner.

-No trauma
-No transplant

I also can't decide where to rank NSLIJ. I like the program a lot, but my concern is that, 4 years from now the job market will be much tighter; and I'm not sure how competitive I will be, having graduated from a brand new program with 1) ZERO alumni network, and 2) reference letters from less-well-known faculty.

Need last minute help for the upper-middle part of my list. Anyone willing to share their thoughts on Mt Sinai (NY) vs Cornell vs Upenn? Dont feel like my impressions from the interview day were adequate enough to make an informed decision about these places (location isnt a big deal for me).

Sinai: I did my away rotation here. PD is great and everyone in the dept, as big as it is, is on a very friendly basis. The former chair got promoted to CEO/President/whatever of Sinai but he's still very very invested in the Anesthesia dept, which means that it will continue to be a strong dept with very good funding. Lots of opportunities for making extra $$, CBY year is apparently fairly benign overall, and with the acquisition of 5 other NYC hospitals, I think Sinai in general in on an uptrend. My biggest con to the place was that the residents were almost Frat-like clique. Very extroverted and I felt like I had to fake it to make here it in terms of personality. They take 5-6 of their own Sinai kids but everyone who has matched is very happy here. Peds is weak as with other NYC places except Columbia; I believe PD said they might start doing regional rotations at St. Luke's. Location was meh but liked the overall hospital vibe. Fellowship seems not as impressive but that's because more than half of the class stays as Sinai to do their fellowship.

Cornell: Did an away at MSKCC, which is one of their rotations sites for ICU so I got to interact with the Anesthesia residents a lot. The general consensus here is that you work harder than some of the other programs nearby, and this was confirmed during my interview, months after my ICU rotation. I believe that leadership has internally changed over the last 2-3 years and I really like what they're doing with their curriculum--how cool is it to have your own Cornell Anesthesia app for your phone! Fellowship seemed strong from what I remember on the PPT. Cornell is strong in ICU, Pain and with HSS, regional as well. I just had a really pretentious feel during all my interviews with some of the old faculty asking my questions that were clearly shouldn't have. Location is also great but you will go bankrupt if you choose to live in their housing and attempt to live the city life, even on $60K or whatever they give.

I'm personally ranking Sinai over Cornell because I got a better vibe and really liked having a supportive administration.

Can any one chime in how programs decide who to rank for their categorical vs. advanced spot? And would it be considered inappropriate, or worse frowned upon, if I conveyed my interest in categorical path.

Been told that most programs submit the exact same lists for advanced and categorical spots. They just want the applicants to have their first preferences.

Sinai: I did my away rotation here. PD is great and everyone in the dept, as big as it is, is on a very friendly basis. The former chair got promoted to CEO/President/whatever of Sinai but he's still very very invested in the Anesthesia dept, which means that it will continue to be a strong dept with very good funding. Lots of opportunities for making extra $$, CBY year is apparently fairly benign overall, and with the acquisition of 5 other NYC hospitals, I think Sinai in general in on an uptrend. My biggest con to the place was that the residents were almost Frat-like clique. Very extroverted and I felt like I had to fake it to make here it in terms of personality. They take 5-6 of their own Sinai kids but everyone who has matched is very happy here. Peds is weak as with other NYC places except Columbia; I believe PD said they might start doing regional rotations at St. Luke's. Location was meh but liked the overall hospital vibe. Fellowship seems not as impressive but that's because more than half of the class stays as Sinai to do their fellowship.

Cornell: Did an away at MSKCC, which is one of their rotations sites for ICU so I got to interact with the Anesthesia residents a lot. The general consensus here is that you work harder than some of the other programs nearby, and this was confirmed during my interview, months after my ICU rotation. I believe that leadership has internally changed over the last 2-3 years and I really like what they're doing with their curriculum--how cool is it to have your own Cornell Anesthesia app for your phone! Fellowship seemed strong from what I remember on the PPT. Cornell is strong in ICU, Pain and with HSS, regional as well. I just had a really pretentious feel during all my interviews with some of the old faculty asking my questions that were clearly shouldn't have. Location is also great but you will go bankrupt if you choose to live in their housing and attempt to live the city life, even on $60K or whatever they give.

I'm personally ranking Sinai over Cornell because I got a better vibe and really liked having a supportive administration.

Thanks! great info!

I also can't decide where to rank NSLIJ. I like the program a lot, but my concern is that, 4 years from now the job market will be much tighter; and I'm not sure how competitive I will be, having graduated from a brand new program with 1) ZERO alumni network, and 2) reference letters from less-well-known faculty.
That really has been my main concern as well throughout the ranking process. However, I do know that NAPA has a huge network of hospitals, and getting placed within the network in 4 years should hopefully be no problem. I am planning to go on into a fellowship and hoping that it wouldn't be impossible coming from NSLIJ.

As far as my list, NS/LIJ vs UMASS vs Maimo.... Anyone have any thoughts!?!?

Thanks and good luck everyone!

9pm! List is in:

1. Combined Anesth/IM Stanford
2. Combined Anesth/CC UCSF
3. Stanford
4. UCSF
5. MGH
6. BW
7. Combined Anesth/IM UCSD
8. UCLA
9. UCSD

Got a nice hodgepodge of a list going on: