2014 Match Stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kmoogs

NEVERMIND I FOUND IT
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Edit: MATCH STATS START ON PAGE 6

Figured we might as well start this thread eventually... for ranking discussion and eventually match stats (for the next applicants to look at)

Edit: suggested template once match day comes along

-GPA
-Type of PharmD program (3 or 4 year)
-Geographic location (region or city if desired)
-Activities
-Leadership positions
-Community service
-Work experience in the field of pharmacy
-Work experience outside of pharmacy
-Number and type of residencies applied to
-Number of interview invites
-Where you actually matched (type of residency, geographic location, etc)

any suggestions for additional categories? I'll add/subtract as needed

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Joy...this again. lol :) good luck everybody!

Members don't see this ad :)
I didnt realize how hard this was going to be on my confidence. I have no indicator of I how I did and its driving me up the walls! Originally I was more worried about the clinical portions going into interviews but in hindsight thats probably easier to know how you did with your knowledge base; you generally got it or you didn't but figuring out if personalities meshed from interviews is harder, especially when yours is being compared to 20 other peoples.

Aggh. Anyway, one more interview and then its only 3 weeks left until we find out!

I didnt realize how hard this was going to be on my confidence. I have no indicator of I how I did and its driving me up the walls! Originally I was more worried about the clinical portions going into interviews but in hindsight thats probably easier to know how you did with your knowledge base; you generally got it or you didn't but figuring out if personalities meshed from interviews is harder, especially when yours is being compared to 20 other peoples.

Aggh. Anyway, one more interview and then its only 3 weeks left until we find out!

Your performance shouldn't factor into your ranking order. Personality and fit may play a role, but an overall "indicator of how you did" [in the interview] shouldn't change your decision making process. The Match works in funny ways and sort of benefits the candidates where your #2 becomes your new #1 if you aren't slotted for your #1. So you could have BOMBBBBED your #1, but it won't hurt your match chances you to put them #1. If they don't slot you, you get a new #1 via the ROLIC system.

Your performance shouldn't factor into your ranking order. Personality and fit may play a role, but an overall "indicator of how you did" [in the interview] shouldn't change your decision making process. The Match works in funny ways and sort of benefits the candidates where your #2 becomes your new #1 if you aren't slotted for your #1. So you could have BOMBBBBED your #1, but it won't hurt your match chances you to put them #1. If they don't slot you, you get a new #1 via the ROLIC system.

I understand how the match works. Thank you.

But I also would be interested to know what a site thought of my interview. It has nothing to do with the match and the algorithm and everything to do with wanting to know if I come across the way I would like to in an interview. This residency process is not the last place you will ever interview with in life, so its completely within reason to be curious as to what others thought of you.

On top of that if I did know a site didn't like me upfront of course I wouldn't rank them high regardless of how badly I want to be there. Thats just common sense. What an awkward situation to match with program that wasn't too thrilled with you after your interview and you know it.

I figure if I match somewhere, they liked me enough to rank me high. Good enough for me :)

Some programs will give the residents feedback either right after the match or during orientation on areas they were lacking during the interview. This is an direct-indirect(?) way of communicating how you came across to them. I know one of my top choices did that with their current class of residents.

I completely agree with you! Whenever someone would ask me how my interviews went I would tell them I thought it went well but it's so hard to tell where you stand compared to the 20 other people they are interviewing or if they really liked you. At my interviews, the other applicants seemed like great candidates too so it's been hard for me to judge how I thought my interview went. And of course by the time you get home you are kicking yourself for the things you said or didn't say and I was always curious if the other applicants made mistakes too! haha In the end you just can't think about it, you just have to rank the programs the way you want and pray it all works out in the end!

^so true; sigh, hopefully the next three weeks will zip by...

Anyone get that special feeling at an interview? That feeling that a hospital/site is exactly where you want to do your residency? I have heard people talk about it but they were never really able to describe it. I knew exactly what they meant when I visited the place that I consider my top choice. The only way I can describe it for me is the thought of NOT matching with that residency is actually upsetting. I loved something about each of the programs I interviewed with, but for this particular program, I thought about if I didn't match there how down I would be. That's how I knew they'd be my top choice.

How are you all making your decisions? Feelings, complex algorithm, point system? A combination??

No point in stressing if the liked you or not after the fact. What's done is done. Just try to think positively and wait off match day. :)

Anyone get that special feeling at an interview? That feeling that a hospital/site is exactly where you want to do your residency? I have heard people talk about it but they were never really able to describe it. I knew exactly what they meant when I visited the place that I consider my top choice. The only way I can describe it for me is the thought of NOT matching with that residency is actually upsetting. I loved something about each of the programs I interviewed with, but for this particular program, I thought about if I didn't match there how down I would be. That's how I knew they'd be my top choice.

How are you all making your decisions? Feelings, complex algorithm, point system? A combination??

I definitely had this experience at a program.

Last edited:

This is my first year in the Match, and I have to tell you, I never got this when selecting my first year residency. Although I very much enjoy my program, it wasn't love at first sight. It was more of an…."acquired" love that started in the beginning but grew over time. Regardless, I think it was very much the right PGY-1 for me.

Now that I'm applying for PGY-2 programs, I can say that I have gone through this experience. One of the places I interviewed is THE ONE. I had the biggest, cheesiest grin on my face as I walked out of my interview, and that was how I knew it was my top choice. I laughed so much during my interview and at one point, I felt so comfortable, it was as if I had worked there for years. I've already been making plans for when I move there, and I know I should stop, but I can't! My significant other keeps telling me that I need to just go sit in a closet and not speak for the next three weeks, because it's the only thing I can talk about! The thought of not matching there is bringing me to tears, so let's hope for the best.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This is my first year in the Match, and I have to tell you, I never got this when selecting my first year residency. Although I very much enjoy my program, it wasn't love at first sight. It was more of an…."acquired" love that started in the beginning but grew over time. Regardless, I think it was very much the right PGY-1 for me.

Now that I'm applying for PGY-2 programs, I can say that I have gone through this experience. One of the places I interviewed is THE ONE. I had the biggest, cheesiest grin on my face as I walked out of my interview, and that was how I knew it was my top choice. I laughed so much during my interview and at one point, I felt so comfortable, it was as if I had worked there for years. I've already been making plans for when I move there, and I know I should stop, but I can't! My significant other keeps telling me that I need to just go sit in a closet and not speak for the next three weeks, because it's the only thing I can talk about! The thought of not matching there is bringing me to tears, so let's hope for the best.
I've definitely prematurely looked at places id like to live in my too choice city. I know it's bad but I need to pass time somehow haha

I didn't think ranking these programs would be so hard. I really fell in love with the place I least expected, but it's a lot further from my family then I would like. I'm willing to go anywhere for this, but I interviewed at places that were a lot closer. Sigh, I don't know!

I didn't think ranking these programs would be so hard. I really fell in love with the place I least expected, but it's a lot further from my family then I would like. I'm willing to go anywhere for this, but I interviewed at places that were a lot closer. Sigh, I don't know!

Definitely! Although it is only one year. I plan on moving back closer to family after my year of training - and since it is only a year I'm willing to go anywhere. Hard decision nonetheless. I just finished last interview today, going to submit rank list!

Almost every program is on equal standing (overall) in my eyes. So hard to rank programs ... every place has their own strengths and weaknesses. I want a residency enough that I'd be happy with any of my rankings.

Well, I've figured out my rankings :)

ugh, I keep vacillating back and forth between which to rank first and second, the rest is set in stone though. program A is very reputable for the area I am seeking PGY-2 in but the area is not too appealing (expensive/crime) whereas program B is a very nice well-rounded program with a ton of PGY-2 options in a pretty college town. I feel like both programs are a great fit with the slight edge going to program A. only 4 days left to decide!

wish you all the best of luck, we just set our rankings for our residency today- some very good applicants that likely won't match as I know how limited some of their interview optiosn are - I guess that is what happens when you go to a school surrounded by very good large teaching hospitals. I will be shocked it we have to go past our top 4 or 5 to get our two residents and numbers 6-14 are mostly excellent to very good candidates.

ugh, I keep vacillating back and forth between which to rank first and second, the rest is set in stone though. program A is very reputable for the area I am seeking PGY-2 in but the area is not too appealing (expensive/crime) whereas program B is a very nice well-rounded program with a ton of PGY-2 options in a pretty college town. I feel like both programs are a great fit with the slight edge going to program A. only 4 days left to decide!
You can live anywhere for a year.

There's two places that if I match to them, I'll be applying for reciprocity so I can bring my .38 special to put in my nightstand. I'll probably also drop the 450 bucks for a glock. If there's one thing I love my state for- it's that we believe in guns.

There's two places that if I match to them, I'll be applying for reciprocity so I can bring my .38 special to put in my nightstand. I'll probably also drop the 450 bucks for a glock. If there's one thing I love my state for- it's that we believe in guns.

Don't all states believe in guns? My state is a pretty liberal state and I haven't had any problems with finding guns to buy ... it's the ammo that's the problem. People line up outside the store before the store opens on shipment days! It's absurd

Don't all states believe in guns? My state is a pretty liberal state and I haven't had any problems with finding guns to buy ... it's the ammo that's the problem. People line up outside the store before the store opens on shipment days! It's absurd
What I meant is that it's easy to get a gun and do open carry or concealed (no permit required). I have to go through some process for the other states.

The two states I'm speaking of- one has some of the most restrictive laws in the country as of last year, and the other just barely lifted their ban in the city.

As far as I'm aware of, open carry doesn't exist anymore in Cali because of a bunch of _____'s who 'open carried' at several Starbuck's as "protest" for gun control. Way to ruin it for everyone :(

Though ... a week or two ago, the U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that California counties may no longer require residents who want to carry concealed firearms to demonstrate a specific, individualized need to do so.... BUT you have to be a resident of Cali to apply for the permit (I don't know the rules about residency but I believe it takes ~1 year)

Edit: We went off on a really random tangent lol. Match day can't come soon enough

Last edited:
Well, I don't want to be near you guys if you don't match. lol jk.

I'm still debating my list even though it's confirmed. The negative part of me is like "it doesn't matter, not gonna match anyways." We'll see I guess.

As far as I'm aware of, open carry doesn't exist anymore in Cali because of a bunch of _____'s who 'open carried' at several Starbuck's as "protest" for gun control. Way to ruin it for everyone :(

Though ... a week or two ago, the U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that California counties may no longer require residents who want to carry concealed firearms to demonstrate a specific, individualized need to do so.... BUT you have to be a resident of Cali to apply for the permit (I don't know the rules about residency but I believe it takes ~1 year)

Edit: We went off on a really random tangent lol. Match day can't come soon enough
Why would anyone protest at a Starbucks?? LOL :D

one year sure, but two years? i'd prefer to early commit and forego experiencing this process again!

Is that a big deal breaker? I'm considering PGY-2's but not certain yet ... Some of my places have have PGY-2's and others don't ... I didn't really factor it too heavily into my decision process (but I'm still changing stuff up)

Is that a big deal breaker? I'm considering PGY-2's but not certain yet ... Some of my places have have PGY-2's and others don't ... I didn't really factor it too heavily into my decision process (but I'm still changing stuff up)

That's a personal opinion. I had to scramble, and the rotation I needed for the PGY2 I want isn't available at all hospitals. I was VERY fortunate to scramble to a hospital that would provide the rotation I wanted. However, it would have been really nice to early commit but not all places that have PGY2s will early commit. I know one really good program that said they never early commit and make their residents go through the whole thing and interview at other places.

If you're on the fence about it, I wouldn't think that would need to help you rule in or rule out a program.

I'm still debating my list even though it's confirmed. The negative part of me is like "it doesn't matter, not gonna match anyways." We'll see I guess.

Stay positive! What's meant to be will happen!

Good luck to all the fellow Beasts out there confirming their lists this Friday

Up side is you've already finished a residency? :p

Welp looks like I'll be entering the match

Going to be a ball of stress until then

Last edited:
Still debating on that and another place :shrug:

final rank list submitted. it is almost impossible to believe that the application process is coming to an end.

These next 16 days are going to craaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwl.

Ok, so the waiting is brutal. lol. I thought it wasn't gonna be bad because I have so much going on this month, but nope. It's hard. I'm going to think long and hard about my list tonight then that's it. No more touching it. 16 more days!!

My list is certified and I feel really confident about my rankings. *fingers crossed*

Side note: How many places did most people end up ranking? Is everyone ranking all of the places they interviewed?