2014 Match Stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's part of the suspense. I'll message her and tell her who I am if she can't figure it out before Match day. I'm sure she will, but you never know…..

S_ school

Members don't see this ad.

so who is taking that Friday off or rotation??

so who is taking that Friday off or rotation??
I got that day off from my residency. I was originally going to work it, but I want to be too upset at work. I also need to be able to start preparing for the scramble again (sigh, I hope I don't have to go through that again).

Members don't see this ad :)
Why take it off?
If you don't match, you'll be in tears or you need that day to compose yourself and see what programs are left available. That's how I see it. Do you think you'd concentrate if you didn't match?

I staff the weekend before the match and we're allowed to take one day off the following week, which I normally work but I figured it'd be acceptable this one time. Working 12 days straight and being emotional won't be good good for me. lol

I have a few friends who go to a school that has a mandatory class meeting that day. That would suck to be around a bunch of people matching if you dont.

I'll be off thank goodness

I have a few friends who go to a school that has a mandatory class meeting that day. That would suck to be around a bunch of people matching if you dont.

I'll be off thank goodness

I was super emotional last year. I'm glad I was on spring break. I don't think if be as emotional but still.

If you don't match, you'll be in tears or you need that day to compose yourself and see what programs are left available. That's how I see it. Do you think you'd concentrate if you didn't match?

I'd be fine. If I don't match with the interviews and emails I've received, I deserve to not match b/c I did something terribly wrong lol... like not certify my list? :sorry:

Fridays are my clinic days. I have to have the significant other check my rankings because the only electronic device I will have readily accessible will be a laptop w/o interwebs and my cellphone that gets crappy signal. Needless to say, I'm going to be a mess that day regardless of the outcome. I'm thinking about taking the day before off to prep for the scramble. I'm hoping I don't have to, but in my mind, my chances of matching are not that great to begin with. When you're 1 of 3 interviewees, that means you have a 1/3 chance of matching. That statistic alone makes me nervous.

I was super emotional last year. I'm glad I was on spring break. I don't think if be as emotional but still.
What advice do you have for prepping for the Scramble? I don't know how it works really. Do places require letters of reference right off the bat? Should I be asking my writers for a generic one already?

Fridays are my clinic days. I have to have the significant other check my rankings because the only electronic device I will have readily accessible will be a laptop w/o interwebs and my cellphone that gets crappy signal. Needless to say, I'm going to be a mess that day regardless of the outcome. I'm thinking about taking the day before off to prep for the scramble. I'm hoping I don't have to, but in my mind, my chances of matching are not that great to begin with. When you're 1 of 3 interviewees, that means you have a 1/3 chance of matching. That statistic alone makes me nervous.

1:3 ratio is pretty good ...........

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd be fine. If I don't match with the interviews and emails I've received, I deserve to not match b/c I did something terribly wrong lol... like not certify my list? :sorry:

Last edited:

I'm not a good interviewer anyways

Edit: I've learned that low expectations = less disappointment :dead:. Not going to get myself emotional or 'vibe-y' about how interviews went or how I felt about a program because there's no guarantee I'll land at the 'vibe-y' place. Whatever happens, happens.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I think it's important to be humble, especially in a process such as this. I try not to compare myself to other people or be arrogant with my confidence and just recognize how lucky I have been to come this far. I was grateful for every.single.one of my interviews and no matter what happens I appreciated the opportunity the programs gave me. Being humble is good, it keeps people grounded.

I expect to have anxiety while waiting for a final decision. I expect to feel emotional one way or another, especially when I, like many others, have been working so hard for so long on this.
And I expect that no matter what, I will end up where I am supposed to be.

Reactions: 1 users

That was me last year lol. I had a mandatory online class during match day and everyone that matched signed in with their respective hospital they matched at. Hopefully, that won't be the case this year!

That was me last year lol. I had a mandatory online class during match day and everyone that matched signed in with their respective hospital they matched at. Hopefully, that won't be the case this year!

I don't even know what that means :(

I don't even know what that means :(

Our class was online (essentially a chatroom). Each time you login, you get to choose your display name. So all my classmates that matched that day decided to add the hospital they matched at to their display name(i.e. FirstName_Hospital). Everyone knew I was applying to residencies, so it was kind of disappointing. Our teacher then went around noting where everyone matched and congratulating them.

Sorry I have a presentation marathon this week and I'm on my third cup of coffee for the day :)

Our class was online (essentially a chatroom). Each time you login, you get to choose your display name. So all my classmates that matched that day decided to add the hospital they matched at to their display name(i.e. FirstName_Hospital). Everyone knew I was applying to residencies, so it was kind of disappointing. Our teacher then went around noting where everyone matched and congratulating them.

Sorry I have a presentation marathon this week and I'm on my third cup of coffee for the day :)

Sorry, but I think doing that is kinda lame. :p

Once again, I'm glad I was not around my peers. lol

What advice do you have for prepping for the Scramble? I don't know how it works really. Do places require letters of reference right off the bat? Should I be asking my writers for a generic one already?

I basically just followed all the rules. When I found out I didn't match, I started to see what positions were available. I researched as much as I could, picked what programs I wanted to apply to and started getting my LOI ready the following Monday. All my LORs were general letters. None were program specific, so I didn't have to worry about contacting my references again. I quickly uploaded all my stuff that Monday, and I just waited. This time around, I'd probably contact the programs as soon as the list of available positions opens up. Let them know you're interested. I can't remember how many programs I applied to post match. I think at least 6 programs. I got two interviews. One was onsite 3 hours away, and the other was a phone interview. The one onsite was a VA program, which I didn't really want. They didn't have the specialty I was interested in and I wanted a more diverse population. However, I would have been glad to have it to have the experience. The phone interview was the place I wanted the most. They had the specialty I wanted and much more diverse patient population, I thought it would be a long shot. I got rejected from the VA, and I thought there's no way I would get the other place. Literally an hour after my rejection, I got an acceptance. I think the location of the program helped. Most people don't want to live where I currently am. :p

Should I think anything more than what it is if the current resident responded to my thank you letter and ended with a "I hope you consider ___ highly in your rankings" .. or is that a pretty common thing to say? (haha, silly question but just trying to kill some time during this dreadful waiting period)

Should I think anything more than what it is if the current resident responded to my thank you letter and ended with a "I hope you consider ___ highly in your rankings" .. or is that a pretty common thing to say? (haha, silly question but just trying to kill some time during this dreadful waiting period)

Do residents usually get involved in the decision making process?

Yes. While I can't speak for other hospitals, residents are involved in the process of selecting the future class of residents for my organization...

I was involved as well. I had a program director tell me that the residents input counts as for their program.

But there's subtle differences between involved and *involved*? It seemed like the resident was almost speaking for the committee by potentially breaking match rules?

I've never had someone email about blatantly commentating on ranking high haha

It was probably a courtesy thing, but I don't think it was the resident's place to make a comment like that if their intent was to be sly and let the candidate know their program's intentions. When I received thank you emails after an interview, I simply told them "No problem, glad I could help. Please let me know if you have any other questions about the program." I don't think it should go beyond that, personally.

Wonder if anyone interviewed at more than 15 places. Three straight weeks of interviews ...

But there's subtle differences between involved and *involved*? It seemed like the resident was almost speaking for the committee by potentially breaking match rules?

I've never had someone email about blatantly commentating on ranking high haha

I know of people who got e-mails that essentially said everything except "we are ranking you high".

I was "involved" but not "involved". Sure, my RPD and preceptors appreciated my input, but essentially it boiled down to their choices. They actually ranked people differently than I had. My opinions were not as heavily weighted as some of the others. Not that I minded, because they are trying to get a more well rounded resident with a wide variety of interests and steer away from my particular area to focus on those other aspects/opportunities of the program that were neglected this year (they really, really focused on my particular specialty area). Also, there's the whole meeting accreditation standards. I totally understand where they were coming from and completely respect their opinions. There are a lot of things that go into making a candidate decision, and depending on the program, the resident's opinion might be taken very much into consideration or with a grain of salt. It's a coin toss, honestly, and probably varies year to year based on the program.

I'm at a large academic medical center and the residents are highly involved in the ranking process. We have rolling ranking meetings after each interview week. We would bring our rank list for the week and throughout the meeting we would try to reconcile that list with the committee. It was a 50/50 contribution, I was pretty vocal and got pretty much what I wanted in terms of the ranking. At the end we each got to go around and say if we agreed with the ranking or not and if not who would we move and then we voted on it.

We used a survey system and I was allowed to use it as well. The candidates with the highest percentage of the votes were initially put on top of the list and then we discussed each candidate and if we wanted to move it around. I was able to weigh equally with the survey and I had in some input. It was a good experience and I was pretty satisfied with the way the list worked. There were maybe a couple people that I think should have been ranked higher or lower but since I wasn't involved in every discussion the candidates had with the other members of the committee, I can't say for sure if they truly deserved that spot or not.

Sorry, but I think doing that is kinda lame. :p

Once again, I'm glad I was not around my peers. lol

yeah, it definitely wasn't a great experience :/ - sucked for a good month or two until I found my program I am with today.

On a side note: 8 days to go!

My guesses...
lowest GPA: 3.0
Most interviews: 14 (not really realistic)

So is it fair to say is was a pretty poor idea to start the 2014 match stats thread three weeks before the match? Poor people next year are going to have to read through 3 pages of this garbage before they actually get to the information they want. This thread should be renamed "Pre-match b@$&$ing". However, I do understand that not everyone has the planning skills that I do. Man, I'm a beast.

So is it fair to say is was a pretty poor idea to start the 2014 match stats thread three weeks before the match? Poor people next year are going to have to read through 3 pages of this garbage before they actually get to the information they want. This thread should be renamed "Pre-match b@$&$ing". However, I do understand that not everyone has the planning skills that I do. Man, I'm a beast.

Yes, this thread was made way too soon. However, you're an annoying troll. Seriously. Poor people next year? They should be grateful people are willing to take the time to share their stats with others. If you can't skim and easily click through a few pages of posts, that's your problem. Everyone who posts here to give advice, check CVs and letter of intents, and post stats are doing it because they want to help others but it certainly isn't a requirement. Get over yourself.

LOL. Easy fix for the "poor people", we edit the first post to say "MATCH DAY March 21, skip to page 5". Simple solutions to simple problems.

Edit: Plus, we know everyone can't beast mode through the thread like you can. That's what the first post will be there for, to direct the non-BeastPharmD's to the right page :bear:

Last edited:
yeah the interview invite thread always ticked me off because it was bumped from 2012

yeah the interview invite thread always ticked me off because it was bumped from 2012

Ditto.

I thought this thread was started too early for the stats as well but I figured someone would just make a new one and title it the same way as the past stats threads (ie 2014: The Stats Thread or whatever they say) to make it a little easier for folks in the future.

Ditto.

I thought this thread was started too early for the stats as well but I figured someone would just make a new one and title it the same way as the past stats threads (ie 2014: The Stats Thread or whatever they say) to make it a little easier for folks in the future.

The first post does say, "... for ranking discussion and eventually match stats (for the next applicants to look at)", which is what this thread has been so far.

guys, it's not out of the realm of possibility to simply start a new match stats thread AFTER the match...

guys, it's not out of the realm of possibility to simply start a new match stats thread AFTER the match...

This.

Guys, stop feeding the troll. This only came up because the troll came out from under the bridge haha

Maybe next year, these poor people will learn not to be such an eager beaver like kmoogs.