2014 Match Stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Maybe next year, these poor people will learn not to be such an eager beaver like kmoogs.

You have no idea :rofl:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol. I don't know about anyone else but I wasn't complaining. Simply stating things as I see them. It's not complaining to have an opinion that's different from the majority, guys.

Most of us are here to do the same thing: pass time until the match. No need for veiled insults. It's not that serious.

So any who .. I just realized its 6 more days! It's crazy to think that by this time next week we will know!! :confused:

Reactions: 1 user
LOL I wasn't insulting you. If I wanted to, I would have. Nothing veiled about it at all.

Oh.my.god "poor people" have to read through a thread????? C'mon- it's just a bit silly. My opinion of course ;)

I've heard that the match result usually comes out before 12:00 ET. Is that correct? If so, for those of you who went through the match last year, what time was the result released? Thanks!

I've heard that the match result usually comes out before 12:00 ET. Is that correct? If so, for those of you who went through the match last year, what time was the result released? Thanks!

It doesn't say on the website, but it DOES say that the list of unmatched programs will be released at 12 noon EST so it's likely we will know by then.

I know a couple people on the west coast received emails ~5am PST

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank guys! Just trying to decide what time I should start checking the result haha. I'm sorry to hear that Goldfish...Best of luck with your PGY2 match day! Good luck to everyone else as well :)

good luck to all of you

i'm currently getting crushed with projects and the thought of finding a job.

indeed is no help.

My friends who didnt match got their emails earlier ~ 6-7am Eastern time Zone, I got my match result ~ 8am

good luck to all of you

i'm currently getting crushed with projects and the thought of finding a job.

indeed is no help.

Same here! Projects are coming down to the wire and time is flying too fast. Did you go to Midyear also? I did and it helped for me to hear back from some jobs I interviewed at Midyear. CareerPharm is also helpful as jobs are still being posted everyday and I was surprise to hear back from one like the next day from HR. Good luck to those in match as well :)

Both years I got my result around 9am EST.

Mine came in shortly before 6:30 EST...aka I was still sound asleep. :)

I'm going to wake up at 9 CT and check if I'm not already awake. I couldn't sleep at all last year. I was in and out and I kept checking every 30 minutes around 5AM PST.

Sigh, it's tough. I'm going to be fine if I do or don't match, but I really want to match lol.

Good luck with the Match everyone! I do have a serious question...

Do you think it matters where you do your PGY1 residency? I hear a lot of people in my class who prefer "big name" programs in locations they have no desire to live just because it's a great program. But in reality, does it mean anything? I personally think the location and fit of your PGY1 residency matters much more. For example, if you want to live and practice in the Midwest, do a PGY1 there. I guess the bigger question is what benefits does going to a "top" program mean in the long run. Yeah, I understand there will probably be better preceptors and you will see the best clinical cases, BUT the hard primary endpoints such as employment doesn't seem to be affected by this as much. From my friends who were recently hired, they said where they did their PGY1 did not matter at all. All the employer cared was that they did one. Now if one was interested in PGY2, where you do your PGY1 may matter.

I think this contrasts with medical residencies where the reputation of the program matters much more. If you did your internal medicine residency at Johns Hopkins or Massachusetts General Hospital, you are golden. If you did your pharmacy residency at Hopkins or MGH, does it even matter (unless if you want to go into academia or pursue a PGY2)?

Just food for thought.

I think this contrasts with medical residencies where the reputation of the program matters much more. If you did your internal medicine residency at Johns Hopkins or Massachusetts General Hospital, you are golden. If you did your pharmacy residency at Hopkins or MGH, does it even matter (unless if you want to go into academia or pursue a PGY2)?

How progressive are the pharmacies in these old-school east coast/big name hospitals? I'd imagine that a lot of the per pharm protocols available to pharmacy programs would be taken by the medical interns, thus taking away from the PGY-1 learning experience. When I think east coast, I think about how the NY pharmacy interns can't do anything compared to a lot of the more progressive states.

If all things being equal, I think an employer would choose someone trained from a big name program vs a smaller unheard of program.

I think that's true for anything in life though. People gravitate towards things they are familiar with and heard positive things about.

How progressive are the pharmacies in these old-school east coast/big name hospitals? I'd imagine that a lot of the per pharm protocols available to pharmacy programs would be taken by the medical interns, thus taking away from the PGY-1 learning experience. When I think east coast, I think about how the NY pharmacy interns can't do anything compared to a lot of the more progressive states.

actually, you should think of progression when you think of east coast programs. best example is NC... they are arguably the most "progressive" pharmacy state in the nation, look back to the work Fred Eckel did there starting in the late 1960's. This "advanced pharmacy practitioner" status that was just initiated in California has actually been going on in NC for quite some time now (look at CPP certification).

actually, you should think of progression when you think of east coast programs. best example is NC... they are arguably the most "progressive" pharmacy state in the nation, look back to the work Fred Eckel did there starting in the late 1960's. This "advanced pharmacy practitioner" status that was just initiated in California has actually been going on in NC for quite some time now (look at CPP certification).

Very true, B-east coast all the way. Others should probably refrain from making inaccurate comments on topics they know little about

Very true, B-east coast all the way. Others should probably refrain from making inaccurate comments on topics they know little about

The person mentioned states like NY, which I've also heard is not very progressive. I don't know how true that is.

The person mentioned states like NY, which I've also heard is not very progressive. I don't know how true that is.
I am from NY and yes, from progressiveness perspective NY is one of the worst states to do a residency in!

NC is a different case, its one of the widely known and well established PGY1 programs. Like you said, it's the best example. UNC is HUGEEEEE in pharmacy. They had almost an entire half row at the showcase to themselves? It's still only one state out of >13 states on the east coast. Granted, NY is only one state too, so there are both extremes out there. The only reason I get that idea about the east coast is because of what I've heard about places like NY and from talking to various preceptors at ASHP. I'm not familiar with JHU or MGH, used as an example in his question. I'm in the dark regarding east coast programs. The ones I spoke with at ASHP weren't able to convince me that whatever experience they offered was worth investing the time to apply/interview at the sites.

Edit: I guess I could have used both NC and NY in my original post. I just automatically think NY when I think East coast. Never had any interest in moving out there again :-/

Last edited:

lol, I had no idea what B-east coast was supposed to mean ... until I saw who was posting it. Good one

Good luck with the Match everyone! I do have a serious question...

Do you think it matters where you do your PGY1 residency? I hear a lot of people in my class who prefer "big name" programs in locations they have no desire to live just because it's a great program. But in reality, does it mean anything? I personally think the location and fit of your PGY1 residency matters much more. For example, if you want to live and practice in the Midwest, do a PGY1 there. I guess the bigger question is what benefits does going to a "top" program mean in the long run. Yeah, I understand there will probably be better preceptors and you will see the best clinical cases, BUT the hard primary endpoints such as employment doesn't seem to be affected by this as much. From my friends who were recently hired, they said where they did their PGY1 did not matter at all. All the employer cared was that they did one. Now if one was interested in PGY2, where you do your PGY1 may matter.

Just food for thought.

It may matter where you complete your PGY1 residency. Generally speaking, big name hospitals tend to hire applicants who completed a residency at another big name hospital. The benefit of completing a residency at a "top" program means it may give you a competitive edge to attaining a clinical position at a big name hospital.

Most programs like to hire the residents they trained (example: VA). Nevertheless, with the job saturation and hiring freezes, most residents may have to relocate to find a desired PGY2 position and/or clinical job.

Good Luck Everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
Just out of curiosity, what's everyone's backup plan if residency doesn't work out this year?

does anyone mind sharing what a "sorry unfortunately you didn't match" email looks like?

I keep having nightmares, I want to mentally prepare myself haha

does anyone mind sharing what a "sorry unfortunately you didn't match" email looks like?

I keep having nightmares, I want to mentally prepare myself haha
That's basically what the email says.

Try to scramble if possible. If not, go on vacation and find a clinical job.

Reactions: 1 users
That's basically what the email says.

fair enough! i guess more so what i meant is if you could tell from the subject line or in the first few lines (like when it pops up on your phone as a notification and you can only see the first few lines) that you didn't match. ill be rounding that morning so ill just have my phone on me and i guess i wanted to see if i would be able to tell without even opening the email. its a moot point really, but i figured a lot of other questions on this forum are too :rolleyes:

fair enough! i guess more so what i meant is if you could tell from the subject line or in the first few lines (like when it pops up on your phone as a notification and you can only see the first few lines) that you didn't match. ill be rounding that morning so ill just have my phone on me and i guess i wanted to see if i would be able to tell without even opening the email. its a moot point really, but i figured a lot of other questions on this forum are too :rolleyes:
If I remember correctly, you can tell in the first few lines. I think it said Dear Goldie, we're sorry to inform you... But this was a year ago at 5am so I could be wrong.

I saved it in hopes that I can look back this second time around and be successful :)

"This message provides you with your Match result for the ASHP Resident Matching Program for residency positions beginning in 2013.

We regret to inform you that you did not match to a position.

A list of programs with positions available after the Match will be available beginning at 12:00 noon ET on March 22 on the Applicant Results page of the Match web site. Information on this list may be updated by programs until May 31. You may use PhORCAS to prepare applications beginning at 12:00 noon ET on March 22, and to submit applications to programs participating in PhORCAS beginning on March 25 for the Post Match Process. Information about PhORCAS can be found at www.ashp.org/phorcas.

To access information on available positions from the Match web site you will need to enter both your applicant Code Number and the same password/PIN used to enter your Rank Order List into the online system. "

I saved it in hopes that I can look back this second time around and be successful :)

"This message provides you with your Match result for the ASHP Resident Matching Program for residency positions beginning in 2013.

A list of programs with positions available after the Match will be available beginning at 12:00 noon ET on March 22 on the Applicant Results page of the Match web site. Information on this list may be updated by programs until May 31. You may use PhORCAS to prepare applications beginning at 12:00 noon ET on March 22, and to submit applications to programs participating in PhORCAS beginning on March 25 for the Post Match Process. Information about PhORCAS can be found at www.ashp.org/phorcas.

To access information on available positions from the Match web site you will need to enter both your applicant Code Number and the same password/PIN used to enter your Rank Order List into the online system. "

Even better, thanks so much, now I know when I first read "this message provides you with your match result" not to get excited and automatically think that I matched before reading the whole thing! good luck this time around :luck:

Thanks for the flashback! :p

I heard that there was a glitch with the match for the med students today! They could have looked to see where they were going lol. No fair!

Thanks for the flashback! :p

I heard that there was a glitch with the match for the med students today! They could have looked to see where they were going lol. No fair!

I heard about that too! It's also nice that med students find out if they matched or not a week before actual match day (when they find out exactly what program they matched to). At this point, I don't really care which one of the programs I get placed at, otherwise I wouldn't have ranked them, I just really want to know if I at least matched or not! This 2 week wait is so unnecessary!

I heard about that too! It's also nice that med students find out if they matched or not a week before actual match day (when they find out exactly what program they matched to). At this point, I don't really care which one of the programs I get placed at, otherwise I wouldn't have ranked them, I just really want to know if I at least matched or not! This 2 week wait is so unnecessary!

That's how I feel. They were complaining that they didn't know where they were matching, but I would kill just to know that I matched period.