2014 MD/PhD Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Why did you suddenly jump to productivity, as if to imply that that was the reason programs have been less interested in MD/PhDs lately? I applied with 10 publications, honors in 7/10 clerkships/electives/AI (including the specialty of interest to which I applied - med-peds), strong LORs, step 1 of 250+, step 2 of 270+. No AOA - which MD/PhDs in my class did not receive for reasons that can only be described as political. I struggled to get interviews at top institutions, and when I interviewed was under the distinct impression that they were far less interested in my research and career goals in science than in what volunteering or leadership project (or lack thereof) I had done. Oh, and AOA seemed to be very important in their minds.

My situation is by no means unique. Last year, a colleague with many publications (including 1st author PNAS, for what it's worth), an NRSA F30, honors in IM/peds/neuro clerkships, step 1 of 250-260 (so far as I know), etc. but again no AOA, did not so much as get interviewed by MGH or UCSF for IM residency, and ended up at his 2nd choice from programs that invited him to interview.

My MD/PhD colleagues this year applying to ortho and radiology with comparable publication records (and with F30 grants, which I didn't have), board scores, clinical clerkships, etc. did not so much as get interviews at many top places. Even places at which they did away rotations. Again, was their lack of AOA the reason?

On the other hand, my other MD/PhD colleague applying to IM several years ago got into BWH for IM. She wasn't AOA, her board score was below 240, she didn't get honors in IM. She did do several months of research post-PhD in a very well connected lab, got a 15th author position on a Nature Medicine paper (take that for what it's worth), and had this very well connected PI (who had been recruited from BWH several years prior) make phone calls to BWH people on her behalf.

Do not be quick to cast the blame on the applicants' supposed deficiencies. You speak for one residency selection committee and one specialty. Many of us senior MSTP students have had the opportunity to observe across the past several years and over a variety of specialties that many excellent MD/PhD applicants are getting weeded out at the pre-interview stage because they lack political connections, because they lack the extracurriculars that MD-only colleagues have, because of a perceived blemish in their clinical performance (e.g. lack of AOA - as if that was somehow non-redundant with the clinical rotation grades!), because they lack that 7th author Science paper from big-name-PI's lab, etc. Just saying.

I don't think generalizations can be made from Med-Peds as it is a unique beast. Same can be said for ortho and radiology as they've never really been super MD/PhD friendly specialties.

I'm guessing by "top" programs you are really referring to UCSF, BWH, MGH, and Hopkins. If you look at those program's current IM intern rosters it is pretty clear that MD/PhDs are well represented. Ditto for the match lists above even though they tell only a fraction of the story.

Those of us who've been around awhile all have anecdotal stories of MD and MD/PhD colleagues who landed slots at those "top" places with less impressive apps then what we are seeing get rejected today, but that is likely due to increased competition across the board. My point to the younger folks is to make your MD/PhD count, because a productive PhD will continue to set you apart and even if you don't wind up at one of the aforementioned it may help unlock doors at many of the other well-regarded programs not obsessed over as much on SDN.

Members don't see this ad.

Why did you suddenly jump to productivity, as if to imply that that was the reason programs have been less interested in MD/PhDs lately? I applied with 10 publications, honors in 7/10 clerkships/electives/AI (including the specialty of interest to which I applied - med-peds), strong LORs, step 1 of 250+, step 2 of 270+. No AOA - which MD/PhDs in my class did not receive for reasons that can only be described as political. I struggled to get interviews at top institutions, and when I interviewed was under the distinct impression that they were far less interested in my research and career goals in science than in what volunteering or leadership project (or lack thereof) I had done. Oh, and AOA seemed to be very important in their minds.

My situation is by no means unique. Last year, a colleague with many publications (including 1st author PNAS, for what it's worth), an NRSA F30, honors in IM/peds/neuro clerkships, step 1 of 250-260 (so far as I know), etc. but again no AOA, did not so much as get interviewed by MGH or UCSF for IM residency, and ended up at his 2nd choice from programs that invited him to interview.

My MD/PhD colleagues this year applying to ortho and radiology with comparable publication records (and with F30 grants, which I didn't have), board scores, clinical clerkships, etc. did not so much as get interviews at many top places. Even places at which they did away rotations. Again, was their lack of AOA the reason?

On the other hand, my other MD/PhD colleague applying to IM several years ago got into BWH for IM. She wasn't AOA, her board score was below 240, she didn't get honors in IM. She did do several months of research post-PhD in a very well connected lab, got a 15th author position on a Nature Medicine paper (take that for what it's worth), and had this very well connected PI (who had been recruited from BWH several years prior) make phone calls to BWH people on her behalf.

Do not be quick to cast the blame on the applicants' supposed deficiencies. You speak for one residency selection committee and one specialty. Many of us senior MSTP students have had the opportunity to observe across the past several years and over a variety of specialties that many excellent MD/PhD applicants are getting weeded out at the pre-interview stage because they lack political connections, because they lack the extracurriculars that MD-only colleagues have, because of a perceived blemish in their clinical performance (e.g. lack of AOA - as if that was somehow non-redundant with the clinical rotation grades!), because they lack that 7th author Science paper from big-name-PI's lab, etc. Just saying.

We do see increase of high step 1 score applicants in recent years. While I cannot speak for other programs, we do have several committee members to screen the applications. There is a unspoken limit on how many MD/Ph.D candidates we can interview and match. If you apply for research track, it is very competitive. If you apply for regular track, the research part of your application is less important, and will be treated as mostly a MD applicant. The edge of your research background may show in the final stage if it is compelling. For regular track, commitment to service is the priority. Many MD/PhD applicants get unranked because we are not sure whether they will fully engage with intense service.

Last edited:

Your experience might have been rooted in it being med-peds. In IM, there is at least a general awareness that MD-PhDs are different, which is fostered by the growing number of research track residencies. I could see peds dragging things in the extracurricular direction. Or it could have been 20 other things unique to your situation, especially when you have to have a really good explanation for how you're going to divide your 10-20%(?) clinical time between IM and peds.

Some IM programs and probably others in other specialties do care a lot about AOA, but I view this as a fit issue. It's a sting to the ego, but if a med-peds program director, for example, would rather produce another AOA-approved clinician educator than someone who might move medicine forward (if he or she can stay afloat long enough to get tenure), do you really want to train in a program with those values?

The PI thing sounds specious. The average program director or interviewer, as you say, has at most only a vague interest in and knowledge of basic science. To suggest they were moved by some 15th author paper or calls from a PI is a stretch. I would agree that productivity seems to get less emphasis than I might expect. I've seen colleagues whose productivity would have been a red flag to me go on to match extremely well. Their lack of productivity certainly didn't help them, but I doubt it was viewed as a red flag either.

Members don't see this ad :)
Political connections from your PI or PD are important, but I still think that a productive career speaks for itself. You should be able to land a top fellowship, which in the end is what it counts (not so much the primary residency). Now, top fellowship are different based upon specialty. I will tell you that for my area, the "UCSF, BWH, MGH, and Hopkins" are not the truly top fellowships.

We do see increase of high step 1 score applicants in recent years. While I cannot speak for other programs, we do have several committee members to screen the applications. There is a unspoken limit on how many MD/Ph.D candidates we can interview and match. If you apply for research track, it is very competitive. If you apply for regular track, the research part of your application is less important, and will be treated as mostly a MD applicant. The edge of your research background may show in the final stage if it is compelling. For regular track, commitment to service is the priority. Many MD/PhD applicants get unranked because we are not sure whether they will fully engage with intense service.

By "service," do you mean clinical performance in the hospital or are you talking about working with underserved, global health angles, healthcare policy, etc.?

Your experience might have been rooted in it being med-peds. In IM, there is at least a general awareness that MD-PhDs are different, which is fostered by the growing number of research track residencies. I could see peds dragging things in the extracurricular direction. Or it could have been 20 other things unique to your situation, especially when you have to have a really good explanation for how you're going to divide your 10-20%(?) clinical time between IM and peds.

Some IM programs and probably others in other specialties do care a lot about AOA, but I view this as a fit issue. It's a sting to the ego, but if a med-peds program director, for example, would rather produce another AOA-approved clinician educator than someone who might move medicine forward (if he or she can stay afloat long enough to get tenure), do you really want to train in a program with those values?

The PI thing sounds specious. The average program director or interviewer, as you say, has at most only a vague interest in and knowledge of basic science. To suggest they were moved by some 15th author paper or calls from a PI is a stretch. I would agree that productivity seems to get less emphasis than I might expect. I've seen colleagues whose productivity would have been a red flag to me go on to match extremely well. Their lack of productivity certainly didn't help them, but I doubt it was viewed as a red flag either.

Agreed that I applied to a niche field (and I'm actually very happy where I ended up matching!) and that an MD/PhD with little in the way of community service or political activity may have been a poor fit in their eyes.

The issue is - though - that where you get your clinical training affects where you can get fellowship training, and that affects the sort of research you will do and how you'll be able to launch your career. So yes, even if the orthopedics residency doesn't appreciate a cartilage researcher so much, it still matters for the researcher because doing residency at U of Arizona will not launch that researcher quite as well as doing residency at H for SS. Not even close. And it doesn't matter how good the researcher is at research. The fellowships and departments will continue to value residency name, AOA, political connections, etc. way above research output.

The PI thing is 100% true. This girl avowed that she felt she did as well as she did because of her 15th author nature medicine paper (which involved her doing like 1 experiment). And the phone call was made by a former BWH faculty who clearly knew the PD at BWH on a very personal basis. Not specious at all. This is the kind of nonsense that goes on behind the scenes.

By "service," do you mean clinical performance in the hospital or are you talking about working with underserved, global health angles, healthcare policy, etc.?

I mean clinical service. The priority of selecting a group of entering class residents for regular track is the competency and commitment in clinical service. All other extracurricular activities that showcase your commitment to these services could be helpful. The activities you mentioned above seem quite a bit of discussion subjects in the interview to kill time, but are seldom in the committee discussion.

Another PM:

Oregon Health & Science Univ. MD/PhD program match list:
Child Neurology - Cincinnati Children's Hospital
Internal Medicine - University of Washington
Neurology - Yale
Radiation Oncology - Brigham & Women's

edit: Oregon rather than Ohio St. - sorry for the acronym confusion

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Another PM:

VCU MD/PhD match list
Cincinnati Childrens Hosp MC-OH...... Pediatrics
U Kentucky Med Ctr-KY........................ Medicine-Pediatrics
Oregon Health & Science Univ-OR....... Psychiatry
Emory Univ SOM-GA............................ Psychiatry
Einstein/Montefiore Med Ctr-NY......... Anesthesiology
U Tennessee Grad SOM-Knoxville-TN... Transitional//Case Western Reserve Univ-OH.....Ophthalmology
Brigham & Womens Hosp-MA Med... Prelim/Neurology// Brigham & Womens Hosp-MA... Neurology/BWH-MGH

Edit to add another PM:

Cincinnati MSTP match list
U. Of Colorado Som - Internal Medicine
Duke University Medical Center - Anesthesiology/Crit Care Combined
Ophthalmology, Loyola University Med. Center (Prelim, St. Francis Hospital)

edit to add another match for Cincinnati (from another PM).

Last edited:
After sifting through the data, it seems to me that some of the "top/most reputable" programs are really filled almost exclusively with students 'top/reputable' MSTPs. I find this a bit disheartening as it seems that merit counts less than hollow names. Maybe I am hypocritical since maybe those top programs are also just hollow names. Not sure what to think anymore.

Reactions: 1 user
Another PM ...

UCLA MSTP match list:

Ophthalmology - OHSU
Radiation Oncology - City of Hope
Radiation Oncology - Memorial Sloan Kettering
Radiology - Penn
Radiology - Toledo
Radiology - UCLA
Radiology - UCSF
Pathology - Brigham and Women's
Pathology - UCLA
Pathology - UCLA
Pathology - UCSF
Psychiatry/Research - UCSD

After sifting through the data, it seems to me that some of the "top/most reputable" programs are really filled almost exclusively with students 'top/reputable' MSTPs. I find this a bit disheartening as it seems that merit counts less than hollow names. Maybe I am hypocritical since maybe those top programs are also just hollow names. Not sure what to think anymore.

Are we looking at the same thread? I haven't seen many if any lists posted here that are weak. Even the lists from less competitive programs seem to have their share of big names and competitive specialties. Penn will be Penn, but there's plenty of firepower elsewhere too. It's still more about your performance than your program's reputation, even though both count.

Are we looking at the same thread? I haven't seen many if any lists posted here that are weak. Even the lists from less competitive programs seem to have their share of big names and competitive specialties. Penn will be Penn, but there's plenty of firepower elsewhere too. It's still more about your performance than your program's reputation, even though both count.

Well, maybe its because we got a lot more of the bigger & better known MSTP match lists on this thread, but if you look at the specialty that I'm interested in - IM - it seems like if you were from Duke, Penn, WashU, UCSF, Columbia or Cornell you did *much* better than others with regards to matching at a big name. This is not to say that the other applicants didn't do very well, but its like everyone from top 10 MSTPs just shuffled into the top 10 programs for their speciality. Now I'm not denying they worked hard and did well, but come on. It seems extreme. What about us who aren't at a top 10 MSTP?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have only posted those who have sent me information. For Peds, the programs up here are among the top in the country. Children's Hospital at Boston, Penn, Denver, Houston, Cincinnati are truly outstanding. See: http://www.brimr.org/NIH_Awards/2013/Pediatrics_2013.xls
Regardless, "Fellowship", not residency is what defines you as clinician scientists become subspecialitists.

Another PM ...

UCLA MSTP match list:

Ophthalmology - OHSU
Radiation Oncology - City of Hope
Radiation Oncology - Memorial Sloan Kettering
Radiology - Penn
Radiology - Toledo
Radiology - UCLA
Radiology - UCSF
Pathology - Brigham and Women's
Pathology - UCLA
Pathology - UCLA
Pathology - UCSF
Psychiatry/Research - UCSD

Wow... not 1 IM or peds in the bunch... 8/12 in diagnostic specialties....

Well, maybe its because we got a lot more of the bigger & better known MSTP match lists on this thread, but if you look at the specialty that I'm interested in - IM - it seems like if you were from Duke, Penn, WashU, UCSF, Columbia or Cornell you did *much* better than others with regards to matching at a big name. This is not to say that the other applicants didn't do very well, but its like everyone from top 10 MSTPs just shuffled into the top 10 programs for their speciality. Now I'm not denying they worked hard and did well, but come on. It seems extreme. What about us who aren't at a top 10 MSTP?

The rich stay rich, but there's still upward mobility. There was no shortage of applicants in IM this year from mid- and low-tier MSTPs. With rare exceptions, they did very well in the match. I don't doubt that there's an advantage to being from one of the programs you listed, but you will get yours too if you do your part. It might be a little more challenging, but hardly impossible. What's the difference between #5 and #25 in IM anyway? #5 is more likely to send your grandma into afib. That's about it. Many, many great programs in IM.

The rich stay rich, but there's still upward mobility. There was no shortage of applicants in IM this year from mid- and low-tier MSTPs. With rare exceptions, they did very well in the match. I don't doubt that there's an advantage to being from one of the programs you listed, but you will get yours too if you do your part. It might be a little more challenging, but hardly impossible. What's the difference between #5 and #25 in IM anyway? #5 is more likely to send your grandma into afib. That's about it. Many, many great programs in IM.

Hi Pithecanthropus - I do agree with you that for the most part, everyone coming from an MSTP is doing great in the match. Although I haven't started my clerkships yet, it seems fairly clear that there is no appreciable difference in training at a #5 to #25 or for that matter a #55 IM residency (for what those rankings are worth). This is even more true of certain other residencies. I certainly don't want to be whiner, and the match is more equitable than the rich staying rich, because that inequality is currently disgraceful. I think I'm going to be an applicant with a shot at one of those ivory towers, and I'd like to know that my application is going to be trashed just because my Step sore is not 270 and I don't have AOA when someone from Duke might get that interview with similar stats as me just because they are from Duke.

I understand there are a lot of people with >250 Step 1s (~400 in IM and ~2000-2500 altogether from the 2011 match stats) and they need to differentiate. But the lists rolling are suggesting the school brand is more important than what I think it should be. Is it impossible to match at an Ivory tower coming from some southern school - no. But it seems its more of an uphill battle than I think seems fair.

To answer Fencer. I totally agree with you its the fellowship where the career is really made. What happens tomorrow when I want to match into my fellowship and they take into account how lofty the name of the hospital I did my residency is.

.... okay, this post is making me sound like a whiner now. I'm just saying, I hope its a lot more about merit and less about who is from where and knows who. I guess we differ about exactly how big the effect is and how great a match a certain match is.

Also, I have compiled the results on this page into an excel sheet. We currently have ~230 matches. Most of the programs are MSTPs. A few of them are non-MSTP MD/PhD programs. To be complete, we probably need another ~150-180 matches. Not sure how many more yet. Also, not sure why I am compiling them exactly. It does give some insight. Anyways, it's suddenly a hobby.

Hi Pithecanthropus - I do agree with you that for the most part, everyone coming from an MSTP is doing great in the match. Although I haven't started my clerkships yet, it seems fairly clear that there is no appreciable difference in training at a #5 to #25 or for that matter a #55 IM residency (for what those rankings are worth). This is even more true of certain other residencies. I certainly don't want to be whiner, and the match is more equitable than the rich staying rich, because that inequality is currently disgraceful. I think I'm going to be an applicant with a shot at one of those ivory towers, and I'd like to know that my application is going to be trashed just because my Step sore is not 270 and I don't have AOA when someone from Duke might get that interview with similar stats as me just because they are from Duke.

I understand there are a lot of people with >250 Step 1s (~400 in IM and ~2000-2500 altogether from the 2011 match stats) and they need to differentiate. But the lists rolling are suggesting the school brand is more important than what I think it should be. Is it impossible to match at an Ivory tower coming from some southern school - no. But it seems its more of an uphill battle than I think seems fair.

To answer Fencer. I totally agree with you its the fellowship where the career is really made. What happens tomorrow when I want to match into my fellowship and they take into account how lofty the name of the hospital I did my residency is.

.... okay, this post is making me sound like a whiner now. I'm just saying, I hope its a lot more about merit and less about who is from where and knows who. I guess we differ about exactly how big the effect is and how great a match a certain match is.

I get it. I'm intimately familiar with the psychology. There should be "It Gets Better" videos for those of us who didn't do so hot in MD-PhD admissions. If that had been a match, my result would have been matching at #7, and that's about how it felt. In the actual match, places that I would have killed for in MD-PhD admissions were well below my top 3, and I can't think of many people from my school who have not taken at least a step or two up the ladder.

There are many ways for things to go wrong, but they usually go at least a little bit right. I promise you that you will be happier and better at manifesting your own qualities if you focus on your own work and avoid as much as possible the temptation to compare yourself with others.

Another PM...

UNC MSTP 2014 match list:
Internal Medicine- Boston University
Internal Medicine- University of Michigan
Med/Peds- Brown University
Neurology- University of Washington
Opthalmology- Duke University
Radiation Oncology- University of Pennsylvania

edit to add another program

U Maryland 2014 match list:
Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania - Internal Medicine
University of Maryland Medical Center, Baltimore, Maryland - Internal Medicine (prelim), Radiation Oncology
University of Washington Affiliated Hospitals, Seattle, Washington - Pathology, Anatomic and Clinical
University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics, Madison, Wisconsin - Anesthesiology

Last edited:
I get it. I'm intimately familiar with the psychology. There should be "It Gets Better" videos for those of us who didn't do so hot in MD-PhD admissions. If that had been a match, my result would have been matching at #7, and that's about how it felt. In the actual match, places that I would have killed for in MD-PhD admissions were well below my top 3, and I can't think of many people from my school who have not taken at least a step or two up the ladder.

There are many ways for things to go wrong, but they usually go at least a little bit right. I promise you that you will be happier and better at manifesting your own qualities if you focus on your own work and avoid as much as possible the temptation to compare yourself with others.

Thanks Pithecanthropus. You're so right. The comparison fest seems to do more damage, and its hard not to do on SDN especially when a lot the WAMC or match lists are way enriched people with ridiculous stats. You never really see a Step 1 of 230, one or two pubs, good school. It's like either a >280 with ten publications, two in Cell, all H, AOA, from top 15 school or some poor sap with Step 1 of 210, from a mid level school and no honors. It's not healthy.

As terrible as it sounds to compare my insanely lucky circumstances to be an MSTP with someone who is distraught/suicidal about being gay. I think I need a giant "IT GETS BETTER" sign at my desk.

Elixir

Thanks Pithecanthropus. You're so right. The comparison fest seems to do more damage, and its hard not to do on SDN especially when a lot the WAMC or match lists are way enriched people with ridiculous stats. You never really see a Step 1 of 230, one or two pubs, good school. It's like either a >280 with ten publications, two in Cell, all H, AOA, from top 15 school or some poor sap with Step 1 of 210, from a mid level school and no honors. It's not healthy.

As terrible as it sounds to compare my insanely lucky circumstances to be an MSTP with someone who is distraught/suicidal about being gay. I think I need a giant "IT GETS BETTER" sign at my desk.

Elixir
I don't get why you're in dispair. If you have decent Step 1, pubs, and clinical grades, as an MSTP you have a pretty good chance at going to an excellent residency program - if that's what you want.

Last edited:
MD PhD - Match Specialty - Location
Washington University in St. Louis - Anesthesiology - Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Vanderbilt - Anesthesiology - Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Virginia Commonwealth - Anesthesiology - Einstein/Montefiore Med. Ctr.
Washington University in St. Louis - Anesthesiology - Massachusetts General Hospital
University of Iowa - Anesthesiology - Oregon Health Sciences University
Stony Brook - Anesthesiology - Stanford
Maryland - Anesthesiology - University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics
UT Houston - Anesthesiology - UT Houston
UPenn - Anesthesiology - Massachusetts General Hospital
Emory - Anesthesiology - NewYork-Presbyterian-Columbia & Weill Cornell
UPenn - Anesthesiology - University of Pennsylvania
UT - HSC San Antonio - Anesthesiology - Wake Forest University
Cincinnati - Anesthesiology/Crit Care Combined - Duke University Medical Center
Washington University in St. Louis - Child Neurology - Baylor College of Medicine
Stony Brook - Child Neurology - Boston Children’s Hospital
Dartmouth - Child Neurology - Boston Children’s Hospital
Albert Einstein - Child Neurology - Children's Hosp. of Philadelphia
UCSF - Child Neurology - NewYork-Presbyterian-Columbia & Weill Cornell
Columbia - Child Neurology - UCSF
Oregon Health & Science Univ. - Child Neurology - Cincinnati Children's Hospital
University of Minnesota - Clinical Pathology - Yale-New Haven Hosp.
Columbia - Deferred Residency -
U of Chicago/Rosalind Franklin - Dermatology - Brown University
Duke - Dermatology - Columbia University
WEILL CORNELL/ROCKEFELLER/SLOAN-KETTERING - Dermatology - UCSF
Baylor - Dermatology - Baylor College of Medicine
Baylor - Dermatology - Case Western Reserve University
NYU - Dermatology - UC Irvine Medical Center
UCSF - Diag Radiology - NewYork-Presbyterian-Columbia & Weill Cornell
UCSF - Diag Radiology - UW
Washington University in St. Louis - Diagnostic Radiology - Massachusetts General Hospital
Vanderbilt - Diagnostic Radiology - Duke University Medical Center
Washington University in St. Louis - Emergency Medicine - Brigham and Woman’s Hospital
Vanderbilt - Emergency Medicine - Case Western Reserve University
UAB - Emergency Medicine - Nebraska
University of Iowa - ENT - U of Iowa
UCSF - Family Medicine - Loma Linda Med. Ctr.
University of Washington - Family Medicine - Swedish Medical Center-WA
University of Iowa - Family Medicine - U Kansas, Wichita
Washington University in St. Louis - General Surgery - Massachusetts General Hospital
Washington University in St. Louis - General Surgery - UCSF
University of Iowa - General Surgery - U of Pittsburgh
Washington University in St. Louis - Internal Medicine - Barnes-Jewish Hospital
UNC - Internal Medicine - Boston University
WEILL CORNELL/ROCKEFELLER/SLOAN-KETTERING - Internal Medicine - Brigham and Woman’s Hospital
UPenn - Internal Medicine - Brigham and Woman’s Hospital
CWRU - Internal Medicine - Case Western Reserve University
CWRU - Internal Medicine - Cleveland Clinic
Rutgers - Internal Medicine - Dartmouth
Albert Einstein - Internal Medicine - Einstein/Montefiore Med. Ctr.
UAB - Internal Medicine - Johns Hopkins Hospital
WEILL CORNELL/ROCKEFELLER/SLOAN-KETTERING - Internal Medicine - Johns Hopkins Hospital
Albert Einstein - Internal Medicine - Loma Linda Med. Ctr.
UCSF - Internal Medicine - Massachusetts General Hospital
Columbia - Internal Medicine - Massachusetts General Hospital
Albert Einstein - Internal Medicine - Massachusetts General Hospital
University of Minnesota - Internal Medicine - Massachusetts General Hospital
Duke - Internal Medicine - Massachusetts General Hospital
Duke - Internal Medicine - Massachusetts General Hospital
UPenn - Internal Medicine - Massachusetts General Hospital
NYU - Internal Medicine - Massachusetts General Hospital
UAB - Internal Medicine - Minnesota
Washington University in St. Louis - Internal Medicine - NewYork-Presbyterian-Columbia & Weill Cornell
WEILL CORNELL/ROCKEFELLER/SLOAN-KETTERING - Internal Medicine - NewYork-Presbyterian-Columbia & Weill Cornell
NYU - Internal Medicine - NewYork-Presbyterian-Columbia & Weill Cornell
NYU - Internal Medicine - NewYork-Presbyterian-Columbia & Weill Cornell
Albert Einstein - Internal Medicine - NewYork-Presbyterian-Columbia & Weill Cornell
Albert Einstein - Internal Medicine - NewYork-Presbyterian-Columbia & Weill Cornell
NYU - Internal Medicine - NYU
UCSF - Internal Medicine - Stanford
Maryland - Internal Medicine - Thomas Jefferson University
University of Washington - Internal Medicine - U Michigan Hosps-Ann Arbor
University of Iowa - Internal Medicine - U of Chicago PSTP
Cincinnati - Internal Medicine - U of Colorado
University of Washington - Internal Medicine - U Washington Affil Hosps
University of Washington - Internal Medicine - U Washington Affil Hosps
UCSF - Internal Medicine - UCSF
University of Washington - Internal Medicine - UCSF
UNC - Internal Medicine - University of Michigan
Stony Brook - Internal Medicine - University of Michigan
Vanderbilt - Internal Medicine - University of Michigan
Vanderbilt - Internal Medicine - University of Pittsburgh
Stony Brook - Internal Medicine - University of Pittsburgh
Oregon Health & Science Univ. - Internal Medicine - University of Washington
Vanderbilt - Internal Medicine - Vanderbilt
Vanderbilt - Internal Medicine - Vanderbilt
University of Iowa - Internal Medicine - Wash U
UPenn - Internal Medicine - Wash U
UAB - Internal Medicine - WashU
WEILL CORNELL/ROCKEFELLER/SLOAN-KETTERING - Internal Medicine - Yale-New Haven Hosp.
Sinai - Internal Medicine (ABIM Research) - Baylor College of Medicine
University of Minnesota - Internal Medicine (ABIM Research) - Cornell
Sinai - Internal Medicine (ABIM Research) - Icahn SOM at Mount Sinai
Albert Einstein - Internal Medicine (ABIM Research) - University of Pennsylvania
Virginia Commonwealth - Internal Medicine/Pediatrics - University of Kentucky
Columbia - Internal Medicine/PSTP - Northwestern
UNC - Med/Peds - Brown University
Washington University in St. Louis - Neurology - Brigham and Woman’s Hospital
Albert Einstein - Neurology - Einstein/Montefiore Med. Ctr.
Emory - Neurology - Emory
Washington University in St. Louis - Neurology - NewYork-Presbyterian-Columbia & Weill Cornell
Rutgers - Neurology - NewYork-Presbyterian-Columbia & Weill Cornell
UCSF - Neurology - UCSF
UNC - Neurology - University of Washington
Albert Einstein - Neurology - Yale-New Haven Hosp.
Sinai - Neurology - Icahn SOM at Mount Sinai
CWRU - Neurology - Johns Hopkins Hospital
Virginia Commonwealth - Neurology - Mass General H-Brigham Women's H
Baylor - Neurology - UCSF
UPenn - Neurology - UCSF
University of Iowa - Neurology - University of Pennsylvania
Oregon Health & Science Univ. - Neurology - Yale-New Haven Hosp.
U of Chicago/Rosalind Franklin - Neurosurgery - Barnes-Jewish Hospital
UT Houston - Neurosurgery - Barrow Neurological Institute
Dartmouth - Neurosurgery - Brigham and Woman’s Hospital
Duke - Neurosurgery - Massachusetts General Hospital
Sinai - Neurosurgery - Northwestern McGaw/NMH/VA-IL
University of Washington - Neurosurgery - U Washington Affil Hosps
Rutgers - Neurosurgery - Mayo Clinic
UPenn - Neurosurgery - NewYork-Presbyterian-Columbia & Weill Cornell
CWRU - Neurosurgery - Virginia Commonwealth University
U of Virginia - Obstetrics and Gynecology - Brigham and Woman’s Hospital
Vanderbilt - Obstetrics and Gynecology - Northwestern
Virginia Commonwealth - Ophthalmology - Case Western Reserve University
CWRU - Ophthalmology - Illinois Eye and Ear
Cincinnati - Ophthalmology - Loma Linda Med. Ctr.
Washington University in St. Louis - Ophthalmology - Scheie Eye Institute- U of Pennsylvania
UPenn - Ophthalmology - UC Irvine Medical Center
Columbia - Ophthalmology - UCLA
UCSF - Ophthalmology - University of Michigan
Emory - Ophthalmology - University of Pennsylvania
UPenn - Ophthalmology - Wash U
Washington University in St. Louis - Ophthalmology - Wash U
Rutgers - Ophthalmology - Wills Eye Institute
UCLA - Ophthalmology - Oregon Health Sciences University
UNC - Opthalmology - Duke University Medical Center
Rutgers - Orthopaedic Surgery - Boston University
Sinai - Orthopaedic Surgery - Rutgers-R W Johnson Medical School-NJ
UPenn - Orthopaedic Surgery - U Michigan Hosps-Ann Arbor
Duke - Pathology - Brigham and Woman’s Hospital
Stony Brook - Pathology - Einstein/Montefiore Med. Ctr.
Columbia - Pathology - Massachusetts General Hospital
WEILL CORNELL/ROCKEFELLER/SLOAN-KETTERING - Pathology - Massachusetts General Hospital
Albert Einstein - Pathology - NewYork-Presbyterian-Columbia & Weill Cornell
UCSF - Pathology - Stanford
Washington University in St. Louis - Pathology - Stanford
Washington University in St. Louis - Pathology - U of Pittsburgh
U of Virginia - Pathology - UCSF
Washington University in St. Louis - Pathology - UCSF
Duke - Pathology - UCSF
U of Virginia - Pathology - Univ of Virginia SOM
Albert Einstein - Pathology - Yale-New Haven Hosp.
UCLA - Pathology - Brigham and Woman’s Hospital
UPenn - Pathology - Brigham and Woman’s Hospital
CWRU - Pathology - Case Western Reserve University
UPenn - Pathology - Massachusetts General Hospital
Baylor - Pathology - Stanford
UCLA - Pathology - UCLA
UCLA - Pathology - UCLA
UCLA - Pathology - UCSF
CWRU - Pathology - University of North Carolina
UPenn - Pathology - University of Pennsylvania
Maryland - Pathology, Anatomic and Clinical - University of Washington Affiliated Hospitals
U of Virginia - Pathology/Clinical - Brigham and Woman’s Hospital
Albert Einstein - Pathology-Research - Stanford
University of Minnesota - Pediatric Neurology - Baylor College of Medicine
University of Minnesota - Pediatric Neurology - U Washington Affil Hosps
University of Minnesota - Pediatrics - Boston Children’s Hospital
Albert Einstein - Pediatrics - Children's Hosp. of Philadelphia
Washington University in St. Louis - Pediatrics - Cincinnati Children's Hospital
U of Virginia - Pediatrics - Cincinnati Children's Hospital
Stony Brook - Pediatrics - Cincinnati Children's Hospital
Sinai - Pediatrics - Icahn SOM at Mount Sinai
University of Minnesota - Pediatrics - Minnesota
Albert Einstein - Pediatrics - NewYork-Presbyterian-Columbia & Weill Cornell
University of Washington - Pediatrics - Northwestern McGaw/Lurie Peds-IL
UCSF - Pediatrics - Stanford
Washington University in St. Louis - Pediatrics - U of Utah
University of Washington - Pediatrics - U Washington Affil Hosps
University of Washington - Pediatrics - U Washington Affil Hosps
University of Minnesota - Pediatrics - UCSD
Columbia - Pediatrics - UCSF
U of Virginia - Pediatrics - Univ of Virginia SOM
Columbia - Pediatrics - Yale-New Haven Hosp.
Baylor - Pediatrics - Baylor College of Medicine
Vanderbilt - Pediatrics - Boston Children’s Hospital
Sinai - Pediatrics - Boston Children’s Hospital
UPenn - Pediatrics - Children's Hosp. of Philadelphia
Sinai - Pediatrics - Childrens Hospital Los Angeles
Virginia Commonwealth - Pediatrics - Cincinnati Children's Hospital
UT - HSC San Antonio - Pediatrics - Denver Children’s Hospital
Sinai - Pediatrics - Einstein/Montefiore Med. Ctr.
UPenn - Pediatrics - St. Christophers
Emory - Pediatrics - UCSF
Vanderbilt - Pediatrics - Vanderbilt
Dartmouth - Pediatrics/Anesthesiology Combined - Stanford
WEILL CORNELL/ROCKEFELLER/SLOAN-KETTERING - Pediatrics/Research - Stanford
University of Minnesota - Pediatrics-Medical Genetics - Children's National
WEILL CORNELL/ROCKEFELLER/SLOAN-KETTERING - Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation - NewYork-Presbyterian-Columbia & Weill Cornell
Baylor - Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation - UT Southwestern
University of Minnesota - Plastic Surgery - UT Southwestern
University of Washington - Plastic Surgery - U Michigan Hosps-Ann Arbor
Albert Einstein - Postdoctoral Research -
University of Minnesota - Postdoctoral Research - Deferred Residency
Washington University in St. Louis - Postdoctoral Research - National Institute of Mental Health
Washington University in St. Louis - Postdoctoral Research - U of Pittsburgh
Washington University in St. Louis - Psychiatry - Massachusetts General Hospital
Columbia - Psychiatry - NYU
Virginia Commonwealth - Psychiatry - Emory
Baylor - Psychiatry - NewYork-Presbyterian-Columbia & Weill Cornell
NYU - Psychiatry - NYU
Virginia Commonwealth - Psychiatry - Oregon Health Sciences University
WEILL CORNELL/ROCKEFELLER/SLOAN-KETTERING - Psychiatry - University of Washington
UPenn - Psychiatry - UT Southwestern
Vanderbilt - Psychiatry (Research Track) - UCLA Semel Institute of Neuroscience
UCLA - Psychiatry/Research - UCSD
University of Minnesota - Radiation Oncology - Beaumont Health System
WEILL CORNELL/ROCKEFELLER/SLOAN-KETTERING - Radiation Oncology - Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
WEILL CORNELL/ROCKEFELLER/SLOAN-KETTERING - Radiation Oncology - Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
WEILL CORNELL/ROCKEFELLER/SLOAN-KETTERING - Radiation Oncology - NewYork-Presbyterian-Columbia & Weill Cornell
U of Chicago/Rosalind Franklin - Radiation Oncology - Northwestern
U of Virginia - Radiation Oncology - Univ of Virginia SOM
Maryland - Radiation Oncology - University of Maryland Medical Center
UNC - Radiation Oncology - University of Pennsylvania
U of Virginia - Radiation Oncology - UT Houston
Oregon Health & Science Univ. - Radiation Oncology - Brigham and Woman’s Hospital
UCLA - Radiation Oncology - City of Hope
Duke - Radiation Oncology - Harvard Residency Program
UCLA - Radiation Oncology - Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
UAB - Radiation Oncology - Miami
Sinai - Radiation Oncology - U Michigan Hosps-Ann Arbor
UT - HSC San Antonio - Radiation Oncology - UT Southwestern
Emory - Radiation Oncology - UT Southwestern
CWRU - Radiation Oncology - Vanderbilt
WEILL CORNELL/ROCKEFELLER/SLOAN-KETTERING - Radiology - Brigham and Woman’s Hospital
UPenn - Radiology - Massachusetts General Hospital
UCLA - Radiology - Toledo
UCLA - Radiology - UCLA
CWRU - Radiology - UCSD
UCLA - Radiology - UCSF
UCLA - Radiology - University of Pennsylvania
Vanderbilt - Surgery Prelim - Vanderbilt
NYU - Urology - NYU
Emory - Vascular Surgery - University of Michigan
University of Washington - Vasuclar Surgery - U Massachusetts Med School

Here it is, listed by specialty. You can paste it into Excel to sort the list differently. Prelims are not included in this list.

Most of the list is from MSTPs, but not all are MSTP MD/PhD programs. If more schools are added to this thread I will update the list.

I tried to unify the nomenclature of matches, and hopefully that hasn't caused errors (e.g. I hope NYP=NewYork-Presbyterian=NYP-Columbia=NYP-Cornell=NewYork-Presbyterian-Columbia & Weill Cornell). If there are errors, sorry! Let me know and I'll fix them.

I'm just about to finish my Ph.D and return to MS3 (a top 10 MSTP). It seems AOA could really help, but I have a specific question about class rank vs. Step1/PhD/Clerkship grades. My school grades the preclinical years, on which I did above average but not great b/c I was under the impressions that MSTPs don't need all As... Knowing what I know now, I believe I can do well in third year (i.e. honor most things). To those who've gone through the process or have any knowledge about the IM/fast track residency process, how much emphasis is placed on the class rank as compared to the other factors such as clerkship grades, step 1, PhD productivity, etc?

I've heard that pre-clinical grades don't matter too much. But in my case, they kind of do since they affect my class rank. Other info: Step1 250, PhD with 1 first author science paper, fellowship, now returning to MS3.

I think in your case you'll do great. You're applying to IM, which has tons of experience with researchers. You'll have a great step 1, a very prestigious med school name to go with it, and Science is high profile enough that even if that is your only publication the fast track residencies will know what it means.

I don't think you need AOA, although it couldn't hurt, just do your best in everything and try to get honors in as many clerkships as possible. Make sure you get honors on IM and the AI. Getting a few more honors on core clerkships, especially surgery, ob/gyn, and pediatrics, would also be good.