2014 Nontrad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorold

By all means necessary
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, it's June and somebody needed to start this thread. So, I thought I should beat QofQuimica to it :smuggrin:
My fellow non-Trads, let's rock this app cycle, and finally make it to Med School. Good luck everybody :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

I guess I’ll go first. I’m 36, with a wife and four kids (6 yrs-6 months). My wife is a stay-at-home mom. This helps with the kids and all. This is my first time applying. I work full-time, and go to school full-time. I know this works for some people, but it didn’t work for me. I didn’t manage things well. I ruined my GPA, and I’m sitting on a 2.15 right now :slap:.
I will be applying very late in the cycle, because I have some retakes scheduled for the Fall 2013 semester. After I retake all my F’s and D’s, I’ll pump my GPA to around 3.3. So, I’m hoping with a good MCAT score, and being a URM, I’ll be able to get in somewhere. I’ll be applying to D.O. schools only. I’ll be fine with their deadlines since most of the D.O. schools I’m considering have deadlines in Feb. and March of 2014. I’m yet to decide when to take the MCAT, since I’m going to be waiting on next semester grades anyway. I know that will be very very late in the cycle, but I would rather try my luck this year, than wait an extra year. Maybe somebody, somewhere decides to turndown his/her acceptance to attend a different school than the ones I’m applying to :xf:. My backup plan is to do a SMP.
I started working on my AACOMAS application today. My problem will be the personal statement, since English is not my native language. That will be a problem in the Verbal section of the MCAT as well. I’m fluent in English, but I’m still a little worried.
I’ll mail out my AACOMAS fee waiver application today. I hope that they approve me. That can save me some serious money :D.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I guess I’ll go first. I’m 36, with a wife and four kids (6 yrs-6 months). My wife is a stay-at-home mom. This helps with the kids and all. This is my first time applying. I work full-time, and go to school full-time. I know this works for some people, but it didn’t work for me. I didn’t manage things well. I ruined my GPA, and I’m sitting on a 2.15 right now :slap:.
I will be applying very late in the cycle, because I have some retakes scheduled for the Fall 2013 semester. After I retake all my F’s and D’s, I’ll pump my GPA to around 3.3. So, I’m hoping with a good MCAT score, and being a URM, I’ll be able to get in somewhere. I’ll be applying to D.O. schools only. I’ll be fine with their deadlines since most of the D.O. schools I’m considering have deadlines in Feb. and March of 2014. I’m yet to decide when to take the MCAT, since I’m going to be waiting on next semester grades anyway. I know that will be very very late in the cycle, but I would rather try my luck this year, than wait an extra year. Maybe somebody, somewhere decides to turndown his/her acceptance to attend a different school than the ones I’m applying to :xf:. My backup plan is to do a SMP.
I started working on my AACOMAS application today. My problem will be the personal statement, since English is not my native language. That will be a problem in the Verbal section of the MCAT as well. I’m fluent in English, but I’m still a little worried.
I’ll mail out my AACOMAS fee waiver application today. I hope that they approve me. That can save me some serious money :D.

Rock on bro; 2.15 GPA and not giving a damn. You are an inspiration; you better not give up. :thumbup:

Reactions: 2 users
At this point I plan to apply to the SMP program at South Carolina as that is where I currently reside and try to maintain my 4.0 trend in that program as well
Which one exactly you're talking about? The Post-Bacc in Biomedical Sciences at USC-Columbia? I was thinking about this one, since I'm from NC and would like to stay as close to home as possible.

Rock on bro; 2.15 GPA and not giving a damn. You are an inspiration; you better not give up. :thumbup:

Much appreciated, beBrave. I hit rock bottom long time ago. It doesn't get any worse, and it doesn't hurt as bad anymore. I have nothing to lose, and when you are at rock bottom, it's all upward from there. Won't let you down. Promise :)

Yeah, thats the one I was referencing. I talked to the program director and I forgot what the numbers were, but a good percentage of people got into the health program of their choice if they did well. Plus its around 15k instate tuition for the year so all around it's not a bad deal.

Did you talk to him in person? I e-mailed him, and he was very helpful. Basically he said finish your retakes and apply to our program ;)
We should stay in touch. What semester you think you will start it? We might end up there in the same time. Good luck :thumbup:

Best of luck to this year's non-trad applicants!

I just graduated from medical school and turned 40. Keep on rockin'. I'll be rooting for you.

Reactions: 4 users
This thread is great inspiration!

Reactions: 1 users
Best of luck to this year's non-trad applicants!

I just graduated from medical school and turned 40. Keep on rockin'. I'll be rooting for you.
Thanks NTF, and congratulations :thumbup:

This thread is great inspiration!

I think it will be a great application cycle for all of us :)

I'm not gonna repost my story here 'cause I don't feel like getting into it, but I guess it will be sufficient to say that I am a re-applicant. Been trying to forget about this need of mine to become a doctor, but there is no suitable substitute. I just had the epiphany a few days ago that I have to at least try because it will always be "what if???" if I don't. I still have to take the MCAT, and if that goes well, I am only applying to one school this year to see how things go. I kinda have a really good feeling about it though, so hopefully it will all work out.

Good luck everyone! :love:

33yr old career changer (clergy/construction management) married w/kids. Started this process 2 yrs ago with no prereqs and 90credits at 2.9-3.0. 5 semesters later, I am scheduled to graduate in fall and am currently amcas (cgpa3.2/sgpa3.7) aacomas (cgpa 3.3/sgpa3.7). Just got my mcat score 31.

My advice to everyone is just keep plugging along, rome was not built in a day. Pick your semester goals and work 'em...

Applying to instate MD and broadly DO

Members don't see this ad :)
33yr old career changer (clergy/construction management) married w/kids. Started this process 2 yrs ago with no prereqs and 90credits at 2.9-3.0. 5 semesters later, I am scheduled to graduate in fall and am currently amcas (cgpa3.2/sgpa3.7) aacomas (cgpa 3.3/sgpa3.7). Just got my mcat score 31.

My advice to everyone is just keep plugging along, rome was not built in a day. Pick your semester goals and work 'em...

Applying to instate MD and broadly DO

Bravo! I'm just loving it. These stories only show that hard work and persistence will always prevail. Wonderful stories.

For many of us, once you hit rock bottom there really is nowhere to go but up.

Hello! I am a non-traditional sometime lurker, sometime poster here. Two years ago despite my low GPA and sucky MCAT I received an OOS medical school invite but sadly didn't get in. I took more post back science courses, made A's and raised my GPA a slight bit. Just retook the MCAT May 11th. Studied for the MCAT 8-9 months working full-time with spouse and kids in tow. My scores will be back in a little over a week. I have applied to all in-state schools. Praying for a better score! I feel this is my set time....:)

Applying this cycle for the first time. 30 y/o career changer, engaged to a gal ten years ahead of me in this process (she's finishing a fellowship during the app year). did ok in undergrad and grad school, with a 4.0 a la carte postbac over two years. despite the common wisdom in pre-allo I'm hoping my major and coursework will color my middling undergrad gpa, hope my mcat(35+) does that too.

good luck everyone, let's see some more stories!

I guess I should check in here as well. After 15-ish years in the software industry I finally figured out that it's not too late to pursue medicine. While not going to college at all after high school seemed like a big screw up at the time it turned out pretty well for me - with no bad grades on my record, all I had to do was get a BS degree. For the last 3 years, I've been a full time undergraduate student. I plan to graduate this winter and I'm applying this summer. GPA (3.78) and MCAT (36) are reasonably good, so with some modest medically related ECs I think I'll have a shot.

And since we're talking about progress here:
- transcript sent to AMCAS, not showing as received yet.
- dealing with LOR writers at the moment
- I want to include a shadowing experience that I have planned in June, so I'll be hitting the submit button at the end of the month.

Best of luck everyone, it will be a long year. :)

I guess I should check in here as well. After 15-ish years in the software industry I finally figured out that it's not too late to pursue medicine. While not going to college at all after high school seemed like a big screw up at the time it turned out pretty well for me - with no bad grades on my record, all I had to do was get a BS degree. For the last 3 years, I've been a full time undergraduate student. I plan to graduate this winter and I'm applying this summer. GPA (3.78) and MCAT (36) are reasonably good, so with some modest medically related ECs I think I'll have a shot.

- I want to include a shadowing experience that I have planned in June, so I'll be hitting the submit button at the end of the month.

i had no idea you were nontrad!

Oh man, looks like Im applying to about 20 schools! I dont even have my MCAT score yet *sweat*

Well, it's June and somebody needed to start this thread. So, I thought I should beat QofQuimica to it :smuggrin:
Good. Now that I'm applying for attending jobs, it would be nice if I could stop initiating the premed applicant thread each year. :laugh:

Best of luck to all of you who are applying.

Good. Now that I'm applying for attending jobs, it would be nice if I could stop initiating the premed applicant thread each year. :laugh:

Thanks and good luck to you :)

Hello all! 39 yr old undergrad here. Submitted my AACOMAS yesterday. All transcripts and MCAT score are in so verification should start right away. I am nervous, excited, and scared to death all at the same time. My AACOMAS stats are: cGPA- 3.58, sGPA- 3.59, MCAT- 29Q. I feel pretty ok with my stats for DO school.

My MD stats on the other hand are not so stellar. CGPA = 3.36, sGPA = 3.27. My stats are weighed down from poor grades 20 yrs ago. My recent coursework over the last three years has been very good (Mostly A's, some B's, and one C). I took MCAT last August, but am retaking again to have a better shot at my local MD school. I am a giant homer after all.

I want to wish everyone who is applying the very best of luck! Everything we have done until now has brought us to this. We need all the luck we can get, lol.

I am not so sure you should wait until the end of the month. I am not 100% sure about AMCAS, but AACOMAS will allow you to change any information on your app, except for coursework, at any time during the cycle. If AMCAS doesn't do the same, you can still list the experience and submit so you can get in the queue for verification. The sooner you submit, the shorter the verification time is. Just my 2 cents. Best of luck!!

Last edited:
I am not so sure you should wait until the end of the month. I am not 100% sure about AMCAS, but AACOMAS will allow you to change any information on your app, except for coursework, at any time during the cycle. If AMCAS doesn't do the same, you can still list the experience and submit so you can get in the queue for verification. The sooner you submit, the shorter the verification time is. Just my 2 cents. Best of luck!!

You cannot change that on AMCAS after you submit. Yes, submitting the first day will be great but I don't think (hope?) end of June is that late.

It is when the difference in verification time is 2-3 weeks if you submit on first day versus the 6 weeks it will take when you submit at the end of the month.

It is when the difference in verification time is 2-3 weeks if you submit on first day versus the 6 weeks it will take when you submit at the end of the month.

Or if you submit in the first 45 seconds and are verified the next day ;). Woot woot!

Or if you submit in the first 45 seconds and are verified the next day ;). Woot woot!

Lol, AACOMAS may be Johnny on the spot, but AMCAS isn't going to be that way!!

I finished entering my 5 transcripts in the colleges and classes section. AACOMAS calculated GPA's were 2.36 cGPA and 2.13 sGPA (less than the 2.15 I calculated, not that it matters :oops:). The planned retakes will change my sGPA to around 3.0 instead of the 3.3 I expected. The process of entering classes from a transcript reminded me of classes I forgot, and the "other-Science" classes changed things.
They received my Fee Waiver Application yesterday, and it's been marked "Logged in", meaning that it's being processed now.
Feeling good about this cycle already :xf:. Ain't got nothing to loose. Rock on fellas :)

My transcripts and letters are in. I just need to polish my personal statement and ECs and I'm done.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I just finished my second year of medical school and now am preparing for Level 1 COMLEX. There are many students who have entered med school in their 50's. In fact, "The DO Magazine" just did an article which is to be released this month on this topic.

The bottom line is to get "good advise" and work hard on correcting your deficits. Of course, your have to overcome your own doubts and fears. Best of luck to all of you

It's amazing how some of you, "older" non-trad med students/interns/residents/oh my, attendings! - I can't even imagine how busy you must be! - keep helping us newbies with your sage advice :) I, for one, greatly appreciate your help. (been lurking here for a while, learned a lot of useful stuff)

I'm applying this year as well. 33 yo female, foreign native, US permanent resident (thank G-d!).
I guess, just as with most non-trads, my application is a combination of considerable strengths and weaknesses - I feel like I can get accepted into a really nice school or not get accepted anywhere at all depending on which parts of my application adcoms give most weight.

Until 3-4 years ago I was a determined academic researcher - I'm still working in research, but, obviously, not at all determined on staying on this path :) A have a PhD in Microbiology, a fair number of diverse research projects, both basic science and clinical, a bunch of publications in good journals, lots of conference presentations and all that jazz. I've been not an extraordinary, but a reasonably successful scientist. In fact, I got my green card based on my research work. So, this is a strength.
I expect good LORs from my PhD adviser, 2 professors and my current PI who's a clinical professor.
I also have quite a bit of teaching/mentoring experience, "adult" leadership experience (that is, not a student club or something), more than 4 years of continuous hospital volunteering (basically, I started volunteering before I realized I wanted to go to medical school) and some shadowing related to my clinical research job. I'm also a foreigner with an "economically disadvantaged" childhood - no, really, even "hunger" is not an abstract concept to me - and some school may like this as some kind of diversity.

Weaknesses: well, I'm a foreigner :) That is, English is not my native language, and even after years of living in the US I still have some accent, although I have no problem communicating whatsoever. In fact, I taught med students at 2 schools and got a lot of positive feedback from them. But still: I'm a foreigner with an accent.
Plus, I got my undergrad degree from my home country and a grad degree from the US - none of these classes count toward prerequisites, even though between my undergrad and grad schools I have all the prereqs covered at least twice :) So, in the past 2 years I've taken more than 90 undergrad credits (4.0 GPA), including all the prereqs except O-Chem (rolling my eyes: long story, will take it as soon as I can). The problem is, all of these were taken at community colleges because it was the only option with my full time job. This is another weakness.
One more weakness - and I'm really ashamed of this - is my last year's MCAT score of 30Q. Yep. That's with my research background. I was just too stupid to not really prepare for the exam: basically, I took a practice test, got 35 and thought I was ready. Very very stupid. So, this year I actually prepared for MCAT and retook it on May 18th. Anxiously awaiting results. (I felt better after the second exam. AAMC practice scores were 35-36 - but they were not predictive of my first result, so I don't know.) And yeah, I suck at verbal, even though I actually subscribe to and regularly read The New Yorker and The Economist for pleasure. True story :)

I will apply to all TX medical schools except Baylor (according to MSAR, Baylor doesn't accept community college credits) and a number of mid- to lower range private schools with 30 in their 10-90 MCAT range that accept community college credits. I may add more schools depending on my second MCAT score, but the highest I'm shooting for are UTSW and AECOM, I will be deliriously happy if I get into either one.

Right now:
- AMCAS and TMDSAS applications filled out except for PS;
- working on PS, plan on submitting both applications on June 10 or so;
- transcripts received by both application services;
- been pestering my LOR writers for a month a half;
- waiting for my second MCAT score :scared:

Ooph.

Good luck everybody! I hope each of us non-trads gets into a school that's a good fit for him or her :luck:

(boy, am I wordy! :D)

Last edited:
Rock on everyone!

There's nothing better than a corp of nontrads. I had that during post-bac and miss those guys. Hoping it'll be easy to find each other during med school.

My progress:
-Individual LORs nearly all in, just waiting on my committee letter to be written.
-Finished post-bac with a 4.0 and a final cum. and sc. GPA between 3.6-3.8.
-Waiting for the 5/11 MCAT score release. :barf:
-Inputted all of my grades
-Writing and rewriting my PS :bang:
-Activities section to be started...
-Glide year job hunt yet to begin.

Hello, how do you apply to AMCAS as a non trad.? i started my AMCAS app & finished the background details. I was hoping that i was on the right track, but i just realized that it'd be much advantageous for me to apply as a non trad. student. Well, how can i apply to that through AMCAS?

I don't think there's a specific box- non-trad isnt an official designation.

They'll just see that your path wasn't the typical one :)

Hello, how do you apply to AMCAS as a non trad.? i started my AMCAS app & finished the background details. I was hoping that i was on the right track, but i just realized that it'd be much advantageous for me to apply as a non trad. student. Well, how can i apply to that through AMCAS?

As noted on your other thread, there's no box or classification for that on AMCAS and there's nothing directly advantageous about it. Being nontraditional student in and of itself doesn't help your application.

Hello, I have some questions. I plan to take the MCAT on January 2014 and maybe retake again on March. Do you think I could send out application around May? Do you think will I have a chance to get except that year? Thank you very much

Hello, I have some questions. I plan to take the MCAT on January 2014 and maybe retake again on March. Do you think I could send out application around May? Do you think will I have a chance to get except that year? Thank you very much

I'll be taking the January 2014 MCAT too. For most of the MD schools, I think it will too late. For most of D.O. schools you should be fine, but check with the schools you are interested in. They might accept it. The ones I'm interested in all accept the January 2014 MCAT (All D.O. schools).
I believe you can apply before you take the MCAT, you just need to put in the date for your scheduled test, or when are you planning to take it. Most schools will put your file on hold until they get your MCAT score, and most of them won't send you a secondary until they get your MCAT score.
Have you started studying for the MCAT yet?

Greetings fellow non-trads. I'm a 36 y/o Paramedic with a wife and a 16y/o daughter. Graduating in December with a degree in Disaster Science and Management. So far my cGPA is roughly 3.4 and my AMCAS sGPA is 2.97, AACOMAS sGPA is 3.0. Made a 23 (10V, 6P, 7B) on the MCAT in January. Retook the MCAT on the 23rd of May and waiting on the score. Here's what my progress has been so far:

LOR's are done and have been sent to the pre-med committee at my school
AMCAS will be finished today and ready to submit, but they're still missing 3 of my transcripts.
Meeting with HPSP recruiter tomorrow to start that paperwork.
Will finish AACOMAS early this week and submit.

Still trying to find a DO to shadow, they're just not that many in this state.

Best of luck to everyone!

Non-trad and reapplicant here.
Currently trying to figure out how to put those last few finishing touches on my PS in order to reapply first thing tomorrow morning. :eek:
To be honest, I vacillate between feeling completely demoralized about my unsuccessful application cycle this past year and fairly hopeful about the coming application cycle.
I am one of those many foolish applicants who applied to too few schools and slightly late this past cycle. On the one hand, I tell myself that maybe the outcome will be different if I give myself better odds by applying earlier and to a reasonable number of schools... on the other hand, part of me worries that now I'm just inviting an even larger number of schools to throw my application in the trash. :laugh:

Why is taking the MCAT in January or March too late to apply in May/June?

Oh! I thought she is talking about this cycle, not next year cycle. I missed this "May" part. Ma bad :)

Sooo, told my bf about a week ago that I wanted to apply to med school. I didn't know him during my first time applying, so he sort of had no idea. I say sort of because I kept hinting about it, but never came right out and said it 'til last week. Not too sure how it went, though. He said if I wanted to do it, then we would make it work out. However, I could also tell by his body language, tone of voice, etc. that he wasn't too thrilled about the idea. The problem here is that he will (probably) never move anywhere, so I would have to move away to med school by myself. Right now I really just want to kick myself for not going through with this earlier! I tried to explain the situation about how it was something I had to do or I'd always have the 'what ifs' but I don't think he really got it... :lame:

Second time applying.

cGPA - 3.01, sGPA - 3.65
Wishing now I did a Liberal Arts degree instead of engineering.
Last Years MCAT was a 29Q
I retook and will get the result on 6/18

Don't want to submit my app until the MCAT score is in. Got 5 science professors and 1 MD I shadowed to write LOR.

I have tons of EC, and some Shadowing.

I feel strong for in-state, but we are moving due to my wife's studies as well....this could be a big problem ><

29 year old nontrad, former teacher.
AACOMAS submitted, verification pending.
Waiting for post-bacc transcript to be marked as received by AMCAS.
DO cGPA: 3.51
DO sGPA: 3.4
MD cGPA: 3.48
MD sGPA: 3.57
MCAT: 35

Just filled my work/activities section and was surprised to find I had filled out 10 slots. I didn't think I had that many activities/experiences to list.

Also, AMCAS should consider hiring some temp workers to sift through the paperwork. It's annoying to see AACOMAS be all johnny on the spot with everything and AMCAS taking 7 to 10 days to look at something.

Good luck 2014 applicants! It's going to be a long, but exciting year! :luck::xf:

Hey gang, New to the forum...jumping in.

Nontrad here - 36yo, Married with a 1 year old, and trying for more.

This is my first time applying.
BS Psych - GPA 3.6 - Finishing prereqs now and in the fall.
Took MCAT May 11 and should have score tomorrow.

Submitting AMCAS this week after seeing score.
Tentatively applying to 15 schools MD, and 1 DO program

Working on LORs now, have 2 professors, 1 former employer, and 2 docs, one of which I shadowed.

ECs are weak I think. Just tutoring, full time jobs, and about 10 hrs of shadowing in an ER

Fingers crossed for us all!!

Sooo, told my bf about a week ago that I wanted to apply to med school. I didn't know him during my first time applying, so he sort of had no idea. I say sort of because I kept hinting about it, but never came right out and said it 'til last week. Not too sure how it went, though. He said if I wanted to do it, then we would make it work out. However, I could also tell by his body language, tone of voice, etc. that he wasn't too thrilled about the idea. The problem here is that he will (probably) never move anywhere, so I would have to move away to med school by myself. Right now I really just want to kick myself for not going through with this earlier! I tried to explain the situation about how it was something I had to do or I'd always have the 'what ifs' but I don't think he really got it... :lame:

Why do you care? He is just a boyfriend! Boyfriends come and go, only your husband will stay. Keep moving in your life and your career. Don't let anyone influence what you do with "your life" (esp. in a negative way), because at the end of it all, you'll only have "you". Love yourself first :love:

Wish i had someone to tell me this ^^^ many years ago.

Hey gang, New to the forum...jumping in.

Nontrad here - 36yo, Married with a 1 year old, and trying for more.

This is my first time applying.
BS Psych - GPA 3.6 - Finishing prereqs now and in the fall.
Took MCAT May 11 and should have score tomorrow.

Submitting AMCAS this week after seeing score.
Tentatively applying to 15 schools MD, and 1 DO program

Working on LORs now, have 2 professors, 1 former employer, and 2 docs, one of which I shadowed.

ECs are weak I think. Just tutoring, full time jobs, and about 10 hrs of shadowing in an ER

Fingers crossed for us all!!

Not to be critical of a fellow non-trad, but unless you either work in a clinical setting or got a fabulous score on your MCAT (and even if you did, actually) I would advise you to take a couple weeks and perhaps some vacation from work, and get some more shadowing hours, at least a couple dozen more, before submitting your AMCAS. If you don't have any clinical experience who can say where you'll end up? Anyone want to back me up on this? Q? Midlife? LizzyM?

If not I'll sit back down. thanks and good luck to you.

Not to be critical of a fellow non-trad, but unless you either work in a clinical setting or got a fabulous score on your MCAT (and even if you did, actually) I would advise you to take a couple weeks and perhaps some vacation from work, and get some more shadowing hours, at least a couple dozen more, before submitting your AMCAS. If you don't have any clinical experience who can say where you'll end up? Anyone want to back me up on this? Q? Midlife? LizzyM?

If not I'll sit back down. thanks and good luck to you.

I'll be shadowing weekly from July on, I guess I'll note that on the AMCAS. thanks!
And hoping for a fabulous score on that MCAT.

Just wanted to add myself to this list! I’m 27 years old, currently work as a Cyber Threat Operations Analyst and decided a few years ago to switch to medicine. I’ve been working full-time the past two years taking the pre-reqs, I’ll be taking the MCAT in August. Studying for that beast of a test is tough having to juggle 50 hours a week here at work, two kids, a mortgage as well as needing to feed my Game of Thrones addiction. My GPA is decent for DO schools 3.69 Overall/3.3 Science, for AMCAS and TMDSAS it’s a 3.5/3.13 science so I am shooting for the stars to nail that MCAT. I’m planning on applying to about 30 schools, I am a Texas resident so I hopefully get some love from my instate schools. Good luck everyone!