2014 Nontrad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How about a match system for medical school applications, haha?
(This, of course, would pretty much remove incentives like merit-based scholarships and such, though scholarships may still be awarded post factum, i.e. post match.)
This would solve the problem of choice for those of us burdened with multiple acceptances :p and would certainly make those with none (yet) much happier.

Members don't see this ad.

Aside from my scholarship to one school, I haven't heard back about financial aid at all yet. Curious when that will start happening...

Aside from my scholarship to one school, I haven't heard back about financial aid at all yet. Curious when that will start happening...
I was wondering when fin aid comes out. hopefully I can afford school..(can't get parents info...)

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as I understand, non-merit fin aid awards come out some time in April; whether it's the beginning or the end of the month is school-dependednt.

Congrats on your scholarship Pose!

hopefully I can afford school..(can't get parents info...)
I feel you :( I do have my Mother's information, but there are still plenty of problems with it (1) she lives in a different country, so I have to deal with all the translation and verification rigamarole without any assurance that any of that information will help; 2) I've always had a single parent but apparently I have no way of proving it :D).
You should be able to get loans up to the cost of attendance regardless of your parental information. Though, of course, the less the better...

Texas does a match and I really didn't like it. I like the running pros and cons table and being able to compare every facet of the schools - and I definitely like the potential to compare financial aid packages.

For the timing on packages - I think a lot of schools give you the packages at second look. I can only afford to attend 2 second looks so hopefully they send the packages to people who can't attend soon after. I am SO curious!

For the timing on packages - I think a lot of schools give you the packages at second look. I can only afford to attend 2 second looks so hopefully they send the packages to people who can't attend soon after. I am SO curious!
Not necessarily at second looks. Eg., UTSW second look was a couple of weeks ago but they will only start sending fin aid packages in the beginning of April. Though for schools that have their second looks in April giving out fin aid packages at second looks makes sense. But in any case, schools with certainly mail them to all accepted students.

I'm still anxiously waiting for decisions from 2 schools, one of which is my pie in the sky top choice. DR MOM, are you still waiting, too? ;)

(This, of course, would pretty much remove incentives like merit-based scholarships and such, though scholarships may still be awarded post factum, i.e. post match.)
This would solve the problem of choice for those of us burdened with multiple acceptances :p and would certainly make those with none (yet) much happier.

I actually kind of like the idea, but there might have to some adjustment re: CoA. It'd be ****ty to force someone to attend a private school with minimal fin aid support outside loans if they have a shot at their state school.

I actually kind of like the idea, but there might have to some adjustment re: CoA. It'd be ****** to force someone to attend a private school with minimal fin aid support outside loans if they have a shot at their state school.
Yes, I completely agree with this.

I've heard from all my schools, but money will be a factor in my final decision for sure. By the time I am done with residency it will almost be time to start paying for my kid's college!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm at the point in my cycle where I'm turning down acceptances and releasing those seats that I know I won't take (even though I didn't get financial info yet on some schools). Doing this mostly because my social conscience wants those seats to become available to my fellow applicants. But each seat given up feels like giving up a possible future. Such a shame one can only live (and attend medical school) in one universe out of the many alternate universes!
Oh, and, by the way, congratulations on your awesomely successful cycle! :thumbup:

Reactions: 1 users
Oh, and, by the way, congratulations on your awesomely successful cycle! :thumbup:

Thank you so much, Amygdarya, and right back at you. I hope you hear a stupenndous YES from your pie in the sky school!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Thank you so much, Amydarya, and right back at you. I hope you hear a stupenndous YES from your pie in the sky school!
Haha, thank you! I'm trying to get into a Buddhist non-attachement mode (as in "this perfect vase is already broken") but it's not working *at all* :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Deferred at OSU, nothing form anywhere else. Might be time for next cycle. :(

+pity+ Four more pre-interview rejections and I'll have the full collection.
Yeah, to be honest, with exception for schools like NYMC that interview all the way into April, it's pretty much over... Sorry man, but... ready for a smashingly successful next cycle? ;) Seriously, I've seen a lot of successful reapplicants this year. We'll be around to root for you :)

Yeah, to be honest, with exception for schools like NYMC that interview all the way into April, it's pretty much over... Sorry man, but... ready for a smashingly successful next cycle? ;) Seriously, I've seen a lot of successful reapplicants this year. We'll be around to root for you :)
Yes, that's pretty much what I expect to happen as well. OHSU in theory still interviews until the end of the month and they still have not finished reviewing applications but the other three are pretty much done deal at this point.
I am ready for the next cycle and have a few significant changes which should help but there is only so much of this non-sense that I can stomach, so I have not been much around here.

Count me in ;)

Campus designations went out and I got my #1 choice. Happy because I ranked the school highly based on that campus alone (ballsy or stupid. maybe both). We really want to rent a duplex or house so I think I might hire a realtor. Things are getting real :scared:

Reactions: 4 users
I have admissions decisions from all of my schools, so that part of the admissions cycle is over for me. :) ::sigh of relief:: But wait, I have a really, really hard decision to make. :unsure: ::just plain sigh::

I'm so grateful for how my cycle has gone. Please know that. I'm aware of just how fortunate I am to have the opportunities before me. But I also don't know how to make the final choice. It's complicated (lovingly) by the fact that it's not just my choice to make, since my husband has an equal say in where we spend our next four years.

Reactions: 3 users
Yes, that's pretty much what I expect to happen as well. OHSU in theory still interviews until the end of the month and they still have not finished reviewing applications but the other three are pretty much done deal at this point.
I am ready for the next cycle and have a few significant changes which should help but there is only so much of this non-sense that I can stomach, so I have not been much around here.
I understand that it must be really frustrating. But, as you well know, applying late is a significant disadvantage, which is kind of a good news for you because your experience this cycle doesn't really say anything about you as an applicant. Don't take it personally. And I'm quite sure you'll do great next year!

Meanwhile, I got waitlisted at my top choice-pie in the sky school today :( I shouldn't complain really, but it's still a bummer.

Hey guys,

Super late to this thread but I'm a nontrad applicant as well (26 yrs old, just completed my Masters in applied anatomy, URM) so I wanted to join the party!

Firstly,
Congrats to all of you that have been accepted!!! Its really encouraging to see so many nontrad getting into the medical school's of their dreams!

I mostly applied D.O. and so far I was wait listed at my top choice (MSUCOM) in Feb. but I was also fortunate enough to land an MD ii which I recently just attended and I am waiting to hear back :xf:... Anywho, keep up the great work!!

Reactions: 2 users
I am stoked podiatry school starts in the Fall for me. I went from an F student many years ago to being a great student the past few years. So glad interviewing is over, that was absurdly expensive. I booked an extra plane ticket I didn't even need, but luckily expedia gave me flight credits. I'm working and pretty much paying 90% of that income into the credit card debt until class starts in August. Fun fun.

it's bitter sweet though, I get to do what I worked for and want, but will be setting sail away from my family for good. I guess a lot of people feel that way too for a while.

Reactions: 4 users
it's bitter sweet though, I get to do what I worked for and want, but will be setting sail away from my family for good. I guess a lot of people feel that way too for a while.

Hi selectedagainst. I am definitely feeling a good bit of this myself. You're not alone.

I'm trying to decide whether I should go to school in the state where I plan to live and practice for good (CA) or give myself four years near my family... and THEN move back to CA and be away from my family for good. Grieve now or grieve later... I never expected to be feeling this way at the end of application cycle.

Snagged my first ii at LECOM Seton Hill on 12/06.

I'm 33, married, with one son (19 mo) and another one coming in late December/early January.

Started college at 18; flunked out at 21 with a 0.77 sGPA and 1.5 cGPA. Finished a BA at 26 and immediately went back and started an informal post-bacc that turned into a second bachelor's and a master's degree, in Ecology and Molecular Biology, respectively. Graduated with a 3.54 sGPA and a 33 (9PS/10VR/14BS) MCAT.

Felt like I applied late; didn't submit until August. Just snagged my first interview invite for LECOM-SH.

Just waiting to hear back from the 28 other schools.

Update: My cycle is over. I was accepted to, and will be attending, Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine - Georgia Campus. I was also accepted to MSUCOM, but turned it down because I like Atlanta much better than the idea of moving my family to Michigan, we have family here, it will be much much cheaper, and I really like GA-PCOM.

More importantly, my second son was born on December 6, a full six weeks early. He spent a very long ten days in the NICU, we got him home and he's been doing great since.

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1394824170.333994.jpg

Reactions: 17 users
He's so cute!!! :) Congratulations Carl Seitan!

I feel ya. I'm waitlisted at northwestern and ucsd, deferred at tufts.
Argh!
Campus designations went out and I got my #1 choice. Happy because I ranked the school highly based on that campus alone (ballsy or stupid. maybe both). We really want to rent a duplex or house so I think I might hire a realtor. Things are getting real :scared:

Congrats! AWESOME news.
Update: My cycle is over. I was accepted to, and will be attending, Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine - Georgia Campus. I was also accepted to MSUCOM, but turned it down because I like Atlanta much better than the idea of moving my family to Michigan, we have family here, it will be much much cheaper, and I really like GA-PCOM.

More importantly, my second son was born on December 6, a full six weeks early. He spent a very long ten days in the NICU, we got him home and he's been doing great since.

View attachment 179193

What a cutie! Glad he's ok after being born early!

Hey guys,

Super late to this thread but I'm a nontrad applicant as well (26 yrs old, just completed my Masters in applied anatomy, URM) so I wanted to join the party!

Firstly,
Congrats to all of you that have been accepted!!! Its really encouraging to see so many nontrad getting into the medical school's of their dreams!

I mostly applied D.O. and so far I was wait listed at my top choice (MSUCOM) in Feb. but I was also fortunate enough to land an MD ii which I recently just attended and I am waiting to hear back :xf:... Anywho, keep up the great work!!
Welcome and good luck!

I got two more interview invites, NEOCOM and UCincinnati. Yay! Hope I don't get fired for taking off so much work. I hope I get in somewhere, too.

Edited to add: UC freely admits the interview is for the waitlist only.

Last edited:
Cute baby! Congrats everyone!

I am excitedly checking my mail box everyday for news from the financial aid front of things, but no news so far.

Almost the end for me. Waitlisted at LMU-DCOM, probably my last interview at WCUCOM on 14APR. rejected openly at most of the DO and MD schools, and what I assume are silent ones at my 2 in-state MD schools and 3 OOS DO schools

Already starting the MCAT prep for my next retake and working on the diet and exercise to hopefully grab a military scholarship program next cycle.

Invited to apply for post bacc at KU. Weeee!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Placed on wait list at MD program at UCC in PR--class is full already. Waiting to hear from DO program at Touro, CA but thinking a silent rejection is pending. Therefore, called and emailed adcom at UCC to find out if accept updates, letter of intent, etc. Also, decided to attack plan B: apply to special masters and start MCAT prep again too. Gave myself two days to be upset and disappointed and now time to put my head back in the game! Congrats to those who were accepted and best wishes to those still playing the waiting game.

WL at my top choice today. Depressing.

I got my first fin aid package today. It's so funny that my first impression is "This is doable." even though it means at least 135K in debt. That amount of money is so inconceivable to me it just seems imaginary.

Reactions: 5 users
But yay for one scholarship!

I got my first fin aid package today. It's so funny that my first impression is "This is doable." even though it means at least 135K in debt. That amount of money is so inconceivable to me it just seems imaginary.
Right? Yay!

So the school I got the scholarship from might not actually give me in-state residency after all, which means unless something crazy happens in terms of financial aid, it looks like I'll be taking at least $300,000 of loans for school. This is scary stuff.

So the school I got the scholarship from might not actually give me in-state residency after all, which means unless something crazy happens in terms of financial aid, it looks like I'll be taking at least $300,000 of loans for school. This is scary stuff.

First instinct is to like this but it's nothing to like, so instead I comment in solidarity...

It sucks :(

I'm also a little confused. We have to make a decision by May 15th, but some of the schools I've gotten into won't give out your financial aid packages until ~June. How can we possibly know where to go if we don't know the price?

I can understand the frustration. we don't get financial aid info until the end of May. School starts in July and I'd like to have a budget and looked at places to live way before the end of May.

Wow the financial aid timing issue seems really rough!
I'm sill waiting around for answers...

Wow, it sucks that some schools will only send out fin aid packages after May 15th.

I received my first fin aid package this week (from one of my private schools) and was pleasantly surprised by it. I guess coming from a very poor family is finally paying out. Literally :D And I, of course, appreciate the generosity of the said school.

Reactions: 3 users
An update to the above post:
I received my fin aid package from my supposedly cheap TX IS school and guess what? - the more prestigious OOS private school in a more expensive city mentioned above is a better deal! Wow. And I like the OOS private school and its location a lot more anyway. Happily withdrawing from the TX school. Such an easy decision, what a relief. And I'm so grateful to the - for the time being, unspecified - private OOS school.

Reactions: 5 users