2014 Oral Boards Study Plan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pestanas

Attending Anesthesiologist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm scheduled to take the exam in April and I'm looking for advice and a study plan. I know there are some old threads but I was just wondering if there were any other suggestions or if maybe things have changed over the years. Has Michael Ho's book changed? I plan on taking a course, but not sure which one (so many to choose from) or exactly when to take it. There is a course in February and in January. I was initially going to take it in February (closer to exam) but since I want to study from his book I was thinking I should do the January course so I can get the book sooner. And is there a good site where I can find sample questions?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Dude you just have to practice and have verbalized all of the common scenarios that come up on these exams. Board stiff 2 worked well for me. And practicing with a real board examiner if you have access to one. I didn't do a course and based on what I've researched do not recommend one.

I'm scheduled to take the exam in April and I'm looking for advice and a study plan. I know there are some old threads but I was just wondering if there were any other suggestions or if maybe things have changed over the years. Has Michael Ho's book changed? I plan on taking a course, but not sure which one (so many to choose from) or exactly when to take it. There is a course in February and in January. I was initially going to take it in February (closer to exam) but since I want to study from his book I was thinking I should do the January course so I can get the book sooner. And is there a good site where I can find sample questions?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
I agree that some don't need a course to pass, but attending a course does help many people (especially those who have trouble verbalizing their thoughts). Everyone needs to practice. A review of information falls short of what is required to pass this exam. Many people fail because they are unable to organize their thoughts and communicate their thought process (reasoning) in an efficient and organized manner, which is critical for the oral boards due to he pace of the exam. The examiner give you very little time to think before you are expected to start talking. Your primary focus in preparing for the oral boards should be to develop these skills, rather than the typical approach we all used to pass the written exams....which was to stick our nose in a book and study. When taking oral board questions, you achieve both goals....review (you cant say it if you don't know it) and the development of communication skills.

There are several good books with practice oral board questions (and some with answers). Good Luck!!!