2014 Pedo Residency Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if Yale is done with invites? Do they have any other interview dates after 12/12?

Members don't see this ad.

Any one heard from Maimonides? They cashed my check the other day but still haven't heard. I don't see it posted on the list so it appears no one has heard anything back.

Guys.. Sorry for the question but I'm out f the country and for some reason I cld nt access pass website so if anyone can tell me the match lit that opens Dec 16th .. What is the deadline/date to submit rank list?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Guys.. Sorry for the question but I'm out f the country and for some reason I cld nt access pass website so if anyone can tell me the match lit that opens Dec 16th .. What is the deadline/date to submit rank list?
Thanks

You can start submitting your list on Dec 16 and the last day is Jan 10.

Any idea what the # applied for each program? I spoke with an applicant that said VCU had around 400 this year and UCLA had 288.

is it possible to be invited for postmatch interviews to places that did not initially offer me an interview? or do they usually invite back the ones that they had interviewed earlier?

is it possible to be invited for postmatch interviews to places that did not initially offer me an interview? or do they usually invite back the ones that they had interviewed earlier?

Absolutely could interview at programs you haven't applied to. Just so you know, post-match is very difficult, your chances of getting in after the match decrease dramatically. Now if you are a very strong candidate, it may work in your favor, some programs intentionally dont rank spots to get a better candidate post match.

Absolutely could interview at programs you haven't applied to. Just so you know, post-match is very difficult, your chances of getting in after the match decrease dramatically. Now if you are a very strong candidate, it may work in your favor, some programs intentionally dont rank spots to get a better candidate post match.

It is absolutely NOT true that programs intentionally hold out for post-match. The best programs take the best applicants. The subpar programs get subpar applicants. Those that don't match, more often than not, don't match for a REASON. Programs with open spots, year after year, are usually expensive, subpar programs.

Traditionally, programs have found themselves in deep water because they did not rank enough applicants and therefore ended up with open spots on match day. A program is taking a huge gamble to hold out for post-match.

It is absolutely NOT true that programs intentionally hold out for post-match. The best programs take the best applicants. The subpar programs get subpar applicants. Those that don't match, more often than not, don't match for a REASON. Programs with open spots, year after year, are usually expensive, subpar programs.

Traditionally, programs have found themselves in deep water because they did not rank enough applicants and therefore ended up with open spots on match day. A program is taking a huge gamble to hold out for post-match.
I know that lmc brooklyn WANTS post match spots and they only rank around 10 individuals out of 50ish ppl they interview. . . .

I know that lmc brooklyn WANTS post match spots and they only rank around 10 individuals out of 50ish ppl they interview. . . .

Sorry to be the bear of bad news, no one wants post-match applicants. They say that because, as many of us know, LMC is a very shaky business, I mean, program all around and is in NO position to snatch up the top applicants. Why would any program want a post-match applicant? If you can get the best applicants the traditional way, why wait for the people that COULD NOT match. Overwhelimngly, the majority (80%+) of people who do NOT match should not be applying in the first place. Obviously, there are exceptions to the rule as is the case when programs match individuals that end up being poor residents and passing on applicants that would have made great residents (THIS IS NOT THE NORM); however, to say that a program DESIRES those individuals that could not match, probably tells you something about the program.

A gamble? They will be able to fulfill them... Peds ranking is less than 50/50... You cannot tell me that only half of the people you met on your interview trail would not be a good peds dentist?

A gamble? They will be able to fulfill them... Peds ranking is less than 50/50... You cannot tell me that only half of the people you met on your interview trail would not be a good peds dentist?

Yes, its a gamble. As a chairman, wouldn't you want the best applicants? Majority of the time, the best applicants match to a program. What is the benefit of waiting till post-match? At best, you're HOPING to get a good resident class, but there is definitely no guarantee. Why do you think programs like San Antonio (Traditionally, a great program) offer non-match spots, PRE-MATCH? Because they are trying to get the best residents before they are taken during MATCH. You don't wait till the pool has been picked over to then come in and say, oh look, here are 50 amazing potential residents that all of these programs some how didn't see. NO, that's ridiculous!

For lmc brooklyn, I know many residents who went there plus the directors personally. Their goal is not to just fill their residency program with applicants who just rank them because they would rather go there over nowhere, they want the applicants to really want to go their program and be ready for the intensity which will follow. It might not make sense, and it didn't for me at first, but after interviewing, it does now.
Regardless, no one wants to be in the position of having to post match, but luckily for them, there will be spots out there.

Members don't see this ad :)
For lmc brooklyn, I know many residents who went there plus the directors personally. Their goal is not to just fill their residency program with applicants who just rank them because they would rather go there over nowhere, they want the applicants to really want to go their program and be ready for the intensity which will follow. It might not make sense, and it didn't for me at first, but after interviewing, it does now.
Regardless, no one wants to be in the position of having to post match, but luckily for them, there will be spots out there.

However they want to word it is fine. The fact is, if they want the applicants that actually want to go to their program, then they would get them through the match because those people would WANT to go there and therefore would rank them high. The most attractive programs get the applicants they want because those applicants want to go there and those programs want those applicants. Its a very simple process. Making the excuse that they dont want to settle for the whole pool of applicants is, in my opinion, stupid.

Think about this:
Applicant A goes through numerous interviews, enters the match, and come match day gets a very sad email at 5:45am. Applicant A wants to be a pediatric dentist so bad and is willing to go ANYWHERE rather than wait another year. LMC has X number of openings and Applicant A applies because going to LMC is better than working as a GP and spending thousands of more dollars on another round of applications. Applicant A gets in and LMC didnt settle for the whole pool of applicants, they instead got the person that ACTUALLY wants to go their program. Oh wait, no, the same thing just happened. THEY GOT THE APPLICANT THAT WOULD RATHER GO SOMEWHERE THAN NOWHERE. The logic is backwards just like LMC. Not going to convince me.

Last edited:
Yes, its a gamble. As a chairman, wouldn't you want the best applicants? Majority of the time, the best applicants match to a program. What is the benefit of waiting till post-match? At best, you're HOPING to get a good resident class, but there is definitely no guarantee. Why do you think programs like San Antonio (Traditionally, a great program) offer non-match spots, PRE-MATCH? Because they are trying to get the best residents before they are taken during MATCH. You don't wait till the pool has been picked over to then come in and say, oh look, here are 50 amazing potential residents that all of these programs some how didn't see. NO, that's ridiculous!
There are plenty of amazing applicants who do not match for a variety of reasons.
To be honest, the one with the best personality and people person skills will more than likely be the best pediatric dentist. It is NOT rocket science....

However they want to word it is fine. The fact is, if they want the applicants that actually want to go to their program, then they would get them through the match because those people would WANT to go there and therefore would rank them high. The most attractive programs get the applicants they want because those applicants want to go there and those programs want those applicants. Its a very simple process. Making the excuse that they dont want to settle for the whole pool of applicants is, in my opinion, stupid.

Think about this:
Applicant A goes through numerous interviews, enters the match, and come match day gets a very sad email at 5:45am. Applicant A wants to be a pediatric dentist so bad and is willing to go ANYWHERE rather than wait another year. LMC has X number of openings and Applicant A applies because going to LMC is better than working as a GP and spending thousands of more dollars on another round of applications. Applicant A gets in and LMC didnt settle for the whole pool of applicants, they instead got the person that ACTUALLY wants to go their program. Oh wait, no, the same thing just happened. THEY GOT THE APPLICANT THAT WOULD RATHER GO SOMEWHERE THAN NOWHERE. The logic is backwards just like LMC. Not going to convince me.
lmc is a money hungry entity who is using abusing tax payers dollars and overproducing the # of peds dent

Twenty_four_hour_party_people_po.jpg

Too early?

19-kids-and-counting-tv-show.jpg

Thought the kids theme was appropriate :) - Less than 3 weeks!!!

This is it ladies and gentleman! Don't forget to finalize your Match Ranks Lists by 11:59 pm EST tomorrow :)

Last edited:
This is it ladies and gentleman! Don't forget to finalize your Match Ranks Lists by 12:00pm EST tomorrow :)
You are permitted to make changes to your Rank Order List information until the Rank Order List deadline of 10-JAN-2014 at 11:59 PM ET

I think you meant AM Kidzteeth?

Did anyone else see the post about an Internship at Temple Hospital? Is this a post match spot only.? Does anyone know anything about it other then what was written? Just curious

This countdown gives me anxiety haha.

Last edited: