2014 PHAP application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anybody else placed in Jamaica Plain, MA or near Boston???

I was placed in Arlington, MA which is outside of Boston... but I have decided after many pro and con lists to decline the position, this was one of the hardest decision i have ever had to make but I currently work for WIC as a nutritionist and it is such a great organization and I couldn't ever see myself working any where else. I grew up in RI though so I know a little about Boston, it is an amazing city and i'm sure you will have a great time in that area.

Members don't see this ad.

Shahshah, I am in the same boat. I am trying to be realistic but can't help but feel hopeful. I am crushed that I was not offered a position, as I thought my interview went really well. Any thoughts or insights to those that have offers, or 2013 applicants would be appreciated.
I am not sure that you should give up just yet. I have been talking to CDC about my offer and was told that there are still first round offers available. What that means I am not sure but it would seem to indicate that there may be offers still available???

Does anybody know anything about Winston-Salem North Carolina?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not sure that you should give up just yet. I have been talking to CDC about my offer and was told that there are still first round offers available. What that means I am not sure but it would seem to indicate that there may be offers still available???
Thanks Aljoy44047. That's good to know. I'll keep holding out hope :)

Hello All,

I have been following this thread for a couple days, and JUST received an offer for Walla Walla, Washington. I will be relocating from Wisconsin and I am BEYOND excited! If anyone has advice on the area, I would love to hear it. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey Guys! I am still waiting to hear back from the CDC post submitting my initiation letter, but I do know they received it. Assuming I am not the only one in the same boat I've been researching/planning with little to no background information besides the info I found myself. When trying to figure out around how much I'd be paid I used the salary calculator at paycheckcity.com to get an estimate of take home pay (including MY state taxes and other fees NOT including insurance and retirement). Then I navigated to this link to get an idea of my option for healthcare based on my state, which you change for yourself http://www.opm.gov/healthcare-insurance/healthcare/plan-information/plan-codes/2014/states/ca.asp . Once I did that I deducted the most suitable rate from my estimated income. Finally the question I always want to know when starting a new job, When will we receive our first paycheck and how ofter there after? After googling CDC pay schedule 2014 this was the best information I found http://www.michigan.gov/documents/mde/CDC2013PAYMENTSCHEDULE_407211_7.pdf . Assuming this is accurate (which is what I'm kind of left to do until I hear back) I was told my start date is Oct 5 so according the the PDF we will not receive our first check until October 30th! We can make it if we're proactive! I hope all of this info is useful with budgeting and planning, good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
Hello everyone! Congrats to all of you who have heard back from the CDC! I received my offer a few weeks ago and still waiting for the official letter and more specific details. I do, howevever, know that I will be in Albany, NY. I'm in Dallas, Texas now and anxiously waiting to hear back so I can plan accordingly. Not sure if anyone has been or is currently there, but would love to hear back from anyone on some suggestions on living, transportation, expenses, etc. Thank you and congrats again!

I finally received a call! I have have 24 hours to decide whether to accept an offer to Jefferson City Missouri. Does anyone have any insight to the area or to where the host site might be? I looked on the map and they have not had anyone placed since 2012. I would be grateful for any help!
Not sure if you accepted or not, but I am from Kansas City, MO (around 2 hours away). Jeff City is the capitol, so I remember going there once when I was younger. I think it's a pretty small city, maybe not a ton to do, but you're close to both Kansas City and St. Louis which are great cities! Also, the cost of living is probably REALLY low there, which is nice. Good luck!

Do any current PHAPers know of anyone placed in Salt Lake City? It looks like last year there was only one person, but I'm not sure if that's changed. I'd love to hear!

Just to make sure--did any of you guys hear back at all after sending in your initiation form? Like there's no confirmation that they received the forms or anything? Just making sure everything went through!

Hey - I've heard nothing. I got no confirmation that they received my application via email. I've tried calling a few times, and still haven't heard anything. Has anyone else gotten their official letter yet??

Just to make sure--did any of you guys hear back at all after sending in your initiation form? Like there's no confirmation that they received the forms or anything? Just making sure everything went through!

I sent mine with read and delivery receipts and both cleared so they did receive it, but I haven't gotten any further response or instructions on the next step. Don't quote me but I remember reading somewhere that HR has 15 business days from receipt to respond from that acceptance/initiation letter. So I'm hoping based on that time line we receive official offers by next Friday or at least the next step assuming there are a few more steps prior to official offers.

Was also placed in Winston-Salem, and have no idea what it's like! Let me know if you get any more info about the area. From what my friends tell me though its a small and fun city, up and coming

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Was also placed in Winston-Salem, and have no idea what it's like! Let me know if you get any more info about the area. From what my friends tell me though its a small and fun city, up and coming
Hey guys! I went to school in Burlington, and my sister currently goes to Wake Forest in WS. There is a really cute little downtown area, but there are lots of places that have a lot of criminal activity. I know the school has been having more and more issues with it recently. The school is a private, closed campus, but a lot of the students venture out into the downtown. Let me know if you would like me to put you in touch with her, as she's the one who lives there :)

Reactions: 1 users
Not sure if you accepted or not, but I am from Kansas City, MO (around 2 hours away). Jeff City is the capitol, so I remember going there once when I was younger. I think it's a pretty small city, maybe not a ton to do, but you're close to both Kansas City and St. Louis which are great cities! Also, the cost of living is probably REALLY low there, which is nice. Good luck!

I did accept- however, they changed my location because they already gave the location to someone else. Thanks

I did accept- however, they changed my location because they already gave the location to someone else. Thanks
Where did you get?
Are they still handing out new locations or just ones that people have declined, do you know.

Where did you get?
Are they still handing out new locations or just ones that people have declined, do you know.
Okay I am confusing myself replying to these posts. I was originally offered and accepted Jefferson City Missouri and then I got a phone call that there was a communication problem on their end and so they had to give me another location. I have currently accepted the offer at Winston-Salem North Carolina and hopefully I do not get another phone call saying they made another mistake!:) I see that some also posted that they got an offer for the same place...

I got an reply to my email that had my acceptance form attached to it- it just said "Thank-you" my CDC representative said it would take about 2 weeks before I heard something. So no news, is good news. From my experience, they will call you if there is a problem.

All these excitement and anxiety from PHAP 2014!!!
I think there are more uncertainties this year due to the timeframe of this year's application.
I was given 4hours to decide and give my answer... In that 4hours, I took the biggest leap of faith.
I'm grateful to have been placed 2 hours away from home... Just the most expensive city, San Francisco.
It can get lonely being alone but who am I to complain if people are placed on a different state or timezone?!

I say, take it! Wherever you may go even if you have to go through ramen diet. Even if you have to live in your car and take a shower at the gym (my friend's suggestion to me to go move to SF).
It may be the best or worst decision you'll ever make. It may be the biggest opportunity for you but then other priorities will be pushed off the list.
The thing is-- it does not end there. Even after you accepted the position, complete your training in Atlanta, be in the job for months, something may happen and have to leave. And be back at the same position where you are now. But at least, you can say, you've worked for CDC just didn't work out.

Personally, it is CDC. My dream organization I hoped to work for one day, someday.
The day just came a lot sooner.
It is up to you and GOOD LUCK!!!

Feel free to ask me questions but my disclaimer is, what I share is MY point of view. Not the CDC's, not the PHAP's, not my fellow Associates'.

Hi! I've just been accepted to the PHAP 2014 class for SF and was wondering if I could ask you a few questions. Please let me know how we can chat.

Hi everyone, I just accepted an unofficial offer in San Antonio, Texas. SUPER excited!!! The usual questions: Does anyone know anything about the area? Has anyone else mentioned getting a position here? Anyone need a roommate??

Hello. I found this site so I am a new comer. I accepted an offer for Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Can anyone tell me about the area, and has anyone else accepted a post there ?

Has anyone received any information regarding next steps like the background check?
Not receiving any updates is making me uneasy.

Has anyone received any information regarding next steps like the background check?
Not receiving any updates is making me uneasy.

Yeah, very uneasy, especially when i'm thinking of putting my 2 weeks notice in exactly a month from today.

Yeah, very uneasy, especially when i'm thinking of putting my 2 weeks notice in exactly a month from today.

I agree. I have been waiting, but have not heard anything. I am planning to go apartment searching at the end of August.. but I just need to know more information about what my next step is before I do this.

I'm hoping for something by the end of this week! My lease is up the end of aug so I need to know something ASAP.

Hi all, I accepted my unofficial offer in Richmond, VA two weeks ago. I am getting nervous given some "horror stories" on this forum and last year's, in which people's acceptance forms were lost and their spot was given away. After we accept our placement on the phone, the offer cannot change, correct?

Hi all, I accepted my unofficial offer in Richmond, VA two weeks ago. I am getting nervous given some "horror stories" on this forum and last year's, in which people's acceptance forms were lost and their spot was given away. After we accept our placement on the phone, the offer cannot change, correct?

I'm placed in Richmond too!

My sister goes to school at Wake Forest University in Winston-Salem. I have only been to the downtown area once, but it was very nice. Kinda had an artsy feel. Many restaurants, art festivals in the summer. That is all I really know unfortunately. Definitely positive placement site in my opinion though! Plus it is within traveling distance of many other east coast cities if you want on weekends.

@HPM I've also been placed in San Antonio, Texas! Where are you moving from?
I'm coming from South Carolina. What about you?! Have you started looking into apartments? I was told to go ahead and search even though I haven't gotten the official offer yet.

@HPM I have not started looking into apartments yet. The women who I received the tentative offer from told me that there were maybe 5 other associates in the area and that after receiving an official offer I'd be put in contact with them. They may be a good resource to learn more about the area and maybe where good neighborhoods or things to do are. I'm moving from Pittsburgh, PA. YAY! Hi :)

Hello. I found this site so I am a new comer. I accepted an offer for Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Can anyone tell me about the area, and has anyone else accepted a post there ?

I used to live near Cedar Rapids. I'm probably not much help with specifics but feel free to PM me with questions.

Does anyone know if the official offers are coming in the mail or by email?

It was the official offer or the unofficial one to sign and return?
It was simply an email titled "Tentative Offer Letter." It laid out the position, pay, and an address to have your transcript sent. I have to reply accept our decline to the email and I will be sent my "Official Offer letter." They are required to send a tentative offer first. It's just federal employment red tape. I am currently a federal employee and had to go through this before.

Hey guys, I was placed in Wilkesboro, NC, which is about 45 minutes west of Winston-Salem. Glad to hear that some other people are in the general area! The town I'll be in is incredibly small (about 5,000 people, I believe), and I've only ever lived in urban and suburban areas, so I definitely plan on tapping into the social scene in Winston whenever possible, and maybe even move there eventually and commute the 45 minutes to my host site if I'm really wanting the city atmosphere again. I just met some people who were grad students at Wake Forest this past weekend at Capitol Hill Block Party in Seattle (I did my undergrad in the Pac Northwest) and they seemed super eclectic but down-to-earth, and said the city was definitely coming into its own and has a growing arts and social scene.

Does anyone know what most PHAPers end up doing after they complete the program? I was curious if the program prepares you for the public health workforce or for going back to school? Any information would be great!

Hey! I was also placed in Long Island City and I'm not quite sure where the exact placement would be. I did a google search a few days ago and saw that there was a new placement location in Nassau County, so I assumed that that's what my placement would be. Maybe we all have that same placement?

For those who have accepted, I'd love to know what areas you're looking into for housing. I'm definitely looking for a roommate. Also, did you receive an e-mail stating that you'd need a car? I received that after I accepted my placement and was kind of thrown off by it. I was hoping I wouldn't have to have a car.
Hello,

I have accepted a position in Long Island and trying to figure out how to live on a tight budget for the next 2 years . I am very interested in teaming up with other fellow PHAPs for affordable housing.
However, after I sent back the initiation letter, haven't received any formal offer so far. I feel very lucky and exited to be part of the program and but also, honestly terrified about relocation and all the implications..... .

Hi everyone, I just accepted an unofficial offer in San Antonio, Texas. SUPER excited!!! The usual questions: Does anyone know anything about the area? Has anyone else mentioned getting a position here? Anyone need a roommate??
Congrats !
I have lived in Killeen, TX , two hours away from SA for the last 4 years and I have visited town several times. Love it !!!!
Just the positive vibe makes it a great city with lot to do: The Alamo, the river walk, great restaurants and so much more....
Other nice towns just few hours away: Corpus Christi, Austin ( 1 hour away); I am not sure about housing but I guess it will be relatively affordable.
Good luck !

Does anyone know what most PHAPers end up doing after they complete the program? I was curious if the program prepares you for the public health workforce or for going back to school? Any information would be great!
I talked to someone from HR today and she told me that the position goes from a GS 5 to a 7 after the first year and a 9 upon completion of the program if we make satisfactory progress. This is the first year that they will be actively looking to hire participants of the program. The program has been restructured to make it a pipeline for Public Health Advisors. This makes it very important for us to be a proactive learner and receive good monthly reports that are sent to the CDC from our host sites. On another note, anyone going to Nashville and need a roommate let me know! Good luck to all and I look forward to meeting you all in November.

Reactions: 3 users
Hello,

I have accepted a position in Long Island and trying to figure out how to live on a tight budget for the next 2 years . I am very interested in teaming up with other fellow PHAPs for affordable housing.
However, after I sent back the initiation letter, haven't received any formal offer so far. I feel very lucky and exited to be part of the program and but also, honestly terrified about relocation and all the implications..... .

I'm in Long Island city and still not quite sure what the difference will be in terms of distance from Long Island. But I'm also interested in teaming up for affordable housing! Once we get official offer letters we should talk in more detail!

Hello. I would like to ask if any more of you have received a call from HR as of today, 08/04? They said we should receive a call in 2-3 weeks from the day that we put in the initiation form. Pls keep me posted so I know where I am. Thanks so much!

Last edited:
Hey I've received nothing. I just left a voice mail today I'll let you know if I get a response.

Hello. I would like to ask if any more of you have received a call from HR as of today, 08/04? They said we should receive a call in 2-3 weeks from the day that we put in the initiation form. Pls keep me posted so I know where I am. Thanks so much!

I have not heard anything. I inquired and was told that Human Resources is still processing paperwork. They are responsible for the whole CDC so I can understand why it is taking so long.

Thank you. Pls keep posting so we are all in the loop!

Btw, I will be based in Seattle. We are you all based??? :)