2014 PHAP application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I received a link this morning from my HR rep to start the hiring process, it is called the on boarding invitation. The link includes questions to fill out such as health benefits, retirement, tax withholding etc. Once the questions are answered hire forms will come up related to life insurance, beneficiary, etc. In the email that was given an ambiguous answer about the timeline.

I have a quick on boarding question. Did your link have your middle name in the Identification Verification Form? I am trying to figure out if I have to contact someone in HR. Thanks for your help. Congrats to everyone. I got placed in Stockton, CA. Look forward to meeting you in Atlanta even though that seems like such a long time from now.

Members don't see this ad.

Am I the only one that hasn't received any other documentation besides the initiation letter/offer? I just called hr and the representative wasn't helpful at all she pretty much just told me to wait another week for the official but I'm wondering how id receive my official offer in a week without completing the other steps or requests(I haven't received any) that I see you all speaking of.

Am I the only one that hasn't received any other documentation besides the initiation letter/offer? I just called hr and the representative wasn't helpful at all she pretty much just told me to wait another week for the official but I'm wondering how id receive my official offer in a week without completing the other steps or requests(I haven't received any) that I see you all speaking of.

I just received my onboarding information this morning. Had to then email the rep bc my full name wasn't correct

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you are not the only one. I am waiting for more information as well. My 2 week period will be up Friday. I'm hoping I'll here something soon.

You are not the only one. I am still waiting to start the onboarding process. My rep received my transcript last Tuesday and I have yet to hear from them.

Same here, nothing at all from PHAP since sending in Initiation paperwork. Starting to get very nervous, and HR has been of no help...

Reactions: 1 user
I think depending on your HR representative will determine how slow or fast your process is. This morning I recived an email for a background investigation request. This background investigation was separate from my on-boarding process. The email requested my official transcript, updated resume, and scheduling for fingerprints etc... This email did not come from my HR Representative, but a security investigator from CDC. They also gave me 3 days to respond with the requirements entailed in the email so you all need to make sure you have copies of ur offical transcripts because you will need them.

Last edited:
The link had my middle initial I think. I cant go back and look because after a certain number of days the link expires.
I have a quick on boarding question. Did your link have your middle name in the Identification Verification Form? I am trying to figure out if I have to contact someone in HR. Thanks for your help. Congrats to everyone. I got placed in Stockton, CA. Look forward to meeting you in Atlanta even though that seems like such a long time from now.

FYI you will need your full middle name in order to start the background check. I submitted my forms and it was returned because it only had my middle initial. If your name is locked (aka you can't change it through the onboarding system) you will have to contact your HR rep or whoever sent the onboarding info to fix that on their end. Then resubmit your forms. Good Luck!

Same here, nothing at all from PHAP since sending in Initiation paperwork. Starting to get very nervous, and HR has been of no help...
Well I'm wishing the best for us! It's been over a month since they received my initiation firm on July 11 and no transcript request or anything.

No you are not. I have not received my on-boarding information, and I was guaranteed that my transcript would be there Wednesday when I sent it out on Monday. I sent an email on Friday to make sure it was received and got and OOO reply for my rep until today.

No you are not. I have not received my on-boarding information, and I was guaranteed that my transcript would be there Wednesday when I sent it out on Monday. I sent an email on Friday to make sure it was received and got and OOO reply for my rep until today.
How did you know to send your transcripts and who to send them to? I haven't received a request for that either.

How did you know to send your transcripts and who to send them to? I haven't received a request for that either.

Sorry ! I read your post incorrectly!

You have to send it to a specific person in the HR office. Can you get a digital copy of your transcript to have it ready?

Members don't see this ad :)

Once your HR rep contacts you, they will send you the tentative offer and tell you where and who (usually them) to send your transcript to.

For those who sent a digital transcript, did they accept the digital transcript? I sent a digital transcript last week and on my end, it's still showing that the email with the transcript hasn't been opened. I've tried emailing my HR rep to tell them one has been sent but haven't been able to get a response...

For those who sent a digital transcript, did they accept the digital transcript? I sent a digital transcript last week and on my end, it's still showing that the email with the transcript hasn't been opened. I've tried emailing my HR rep to tell them one has been sent but haven't been able to get a response...

I sent one a week ago as well and it was never opened. So I went ahead and ordered a digital transcript for myself, downloaded it, and sent it in an email to my HR rep as a certified PDF attachment. I also sent one via mail. Haven't heard anything regarding receipt of any of them though.

I just received an email stating hr was in the process of completing background checks and it wouldn't be long before the start sending out official offers. Yesterday I was told hr was working on it and to give it 1 week for official offers. My first instinct is to be patient, BUT with all the steps you all are undergoing I'm thinking they may have skipped over me. You all were given special instructions, I have received nothing but they aren't really acknowledging anything I say, so if I have been overlooked they won't know a thing

But we haven't all received that onboarding stuff. I sent transcript -by mail, so no idea whether received. Others have done an onboarding. Did this require you to give permission to do background checks? Or might they be doing that on me now? Do you think HR still think we're starting on Oct 6 - that we all have time to move cross country and everything?

But we haven't all received that onboarding stuff. I sent transcript -by mail, so no idea whether received. Others have done an onboarding. Did this require you to give permission to do background checks? Or might they be doing that on me now? Do you think HR still think we're starting on Oct 6 - that we all have time to move cross country and everything?
That's my concern exactly! I haven't even received the transcript request, let alone tentative offer or on boarding so I'm also trying to make sense of background checks being done with out a special request. I do think we will still start oct 6, I heard of a girl last year that found out 3 days prior of the start date.

That's my concern exactly! I haven't even received the transcript request, let alone tentative offer or on boarding so I'm also trying to make sense of background checks being done with out a special request. I do think we will still start oct 6, I heard of a girl last year that found out 3 days prior of the start date.

I know that the PHAP office said refer all questions to HR but you might need to consider reaching out to them again since it is clear HR is not acknowledging your questions but giving generic answers. I feel like with all the other mistakes that people have encountered during this process it is possible that there was an error somewhere along the way. I hope you hear something soon I am sure it is beyond frustrating.

I am also still waiting for the tentative offer , and still nothing as of this second. I can see that some of us are far more advanced in the process . After I emailed HR, received an email with a ticket number, that someone had opened my request and a timeline to expect feedback ( Friday last week) . Then after few hours, another email said that the ticket had been closed.:( ??????
At this point, just laying back and see what and when is next !

I actually sent a request to my college to have them mail my transcript to the address I was given. With that, immediately I was sent an email for the on boarding process.

I received a link this morning from my HR rep to start the hiring process, it is called the on boarding invitation. The link includes questions to fill out such as health benefits, retirement, tax withholding etc. Once the questions are answered hire forms will come up related to life insurance, beneficiary, etc. In the email that was given an ambiguous answer about the timeline.

"Employment verification and exact duty location will be given once you have cleared security and effective date has been established, which will be in the near future"
For all you have received this email...... what do you do to "clear security". Is it just granting them permission to do a background check, or are you making appts to get fingerprints done and then forwarded. (trying to get a sense of how much longer this process will be)
The links to health benefits - is it just telling you the options, or are you filling out forms?

For the security clearance/background check they ask you questions about previous work, residences in the last 5 years, names phone numbers and addresses of people who know you well, identification such as birth certificate, ss card, passport etc. It seems pretty thorough but once receiving the email I was given 3 days to reply with the information.

In regards to the health benefits that is during the onboarding process and you are answering a few questions which will enter into the forms automatically and then you electronically sign the forms. I still have questions about this that I have to address to the HR rep.

For all you have received this email...... what do you do to "clear security". Is it just granting them permission to do a background check, or are you making appts to get fingerprints done and then forwarded. (trying to get a sense of how much longer this process will be)
The links to health benefits - is it just telling you the options, or are you filling out forms?

Has anyone been able to find out their actual host site? I asked my HR rep and they said that I could not get that information until I had cleared the security check. Just wondering if anyone else had been luckier.

Hi All,

Question regarding assistance with relocation. Does anyone know if the CDC (HR) is able to provide individuals with specific references of realtor agents in one's assigned location to help him/her identify potential places to live? I know that there are resources out there online for free agents, but I was just wondering if anyone knows if the CDC provides/recommends its prospective employees to specific realtors in an their assigned area to ease the relocation coordination process.

If anyone has any insight, thanks in advance!

Hi All,

Question regarding assistance with relocation. Does anyone know if the CDC (HR) is able to provide individuals with specific references of realtor agents in one's assigned location to help him/her identify potential places to live? I know that there are resources out there online for free agents, but I was just wondering if anyone knows if the CDC provides/recommends its prospective employees to specific realtors in an their assigned area to ease the relocation coordination process.

If anyone has any insight, thanks in advance!

We should be put in contact with our supervisor and prior cohort members from the site once you receive your official offer which I was told would also include guidance on housing.

We should be put in contact with our supervisor and prior cohort members from the site once you receive your official offer which I was told would also include guidance on housing.

Thanks for letting me know! I have already been in contact with prior cohort members from my assigned area and they recommended taking advantage of free agents from online housing sites. I would like to search for and potentially secure housing sooner rather than later so I will likely contact an agent via an online resource to begin searching further. I hesitate to wait to begin my search for housing options until I receive my official offer letter since this will likely not come until all my HR background info/checks has been completed/processed, which might leave me receiving my letter with only a month or less before starting.

Seems like there's nothing happening this week. Do you think background checks are going on for all of us, even those who haven't heard anything other than a tentative offer.
Any update on formal offer timing from anyone?

Im doing finger printing tomorrow. Ill be sure and share details.

Where in the email did it say fingerprinting?

Once I finished up the paperwork for the security background check and notified the security investigator i completed the online processshe emailed me to come get fingerprinted and bring all my completed paperwork and required identification with me. I finished the fingerprinting this morning and it was pretty straightforward. I just brought the required documentation and got fingerprinted it took less than 10 minutes they said next time we hear from HR if there weren't any problems with my fingerprinting. they also said my fingerprinting should be completed today but at the very latest it would be Monday before i got my results but they highly doubt it would take that long

Last edited:
I sent my transcript last Wednesday when I received the tentative offer so I was hoping to get an email with the documents for the on-boarding and background check this week but have not heard anything. I think I will wait until the middle of next week to follow up again. It is frustrating having no idea when I will be able to get my housing in order since I have no idea when I will be getting a letter of employment....

I sent my transcript last Wednesday when I received the tentative offer so I was hoping to get an email with the documents for the on-boarding and background check this week but have not heard anything. I think I will wait until the middle of next week to follow up again. It is frustrating having no idea when I will be able to get my housing in order since I have no idea when I will be getting a letter of employment....

Same here, but I sent my transcript last Monday! I emailed and called the person that I sent my transcript to, and have not received any information. I am working on my housing and praying that nothing changes..... Patiently waiting in my new sign on for everything, because that is all we can do. Its just going to take time.

Hey guys,

Be sure to check your junk email (which I usually never check). My security clearance and fingerprint request went to my junk mail and I almost missed the 3 day window to turn my information in.

Im doing finger printing tomorrow. Ill be sure and share details.

How soon did you hear back about where to go get your fingerprinting done? I was able to send my information to the Security person within the three day frame and also contacted her about my location and have not heard anything from her about where to go complete this part of the process.

I heard about fingerprinting as soon as I emailed the security investigator saying I completed the paperwork but I live in Atlanta so the investigator told me to just come by in the morning for fingerprinting and to send those documents they require. She gave me the address in the same email.

I missed a phone call from HR today apparently they haven't been able to reach me at the same email I've been using to contact them and the phap program. When I called right back no one answered. I left a vmail with a different email address . Hopefully I get my tentative offer soon

I heard about fingerprinting as soon as I emailed the security investigator saying I completed the paperwork but I live in Atlanta so the investigator told me to just come by in the morning for fingerprinting and to send those documents they require. She gave me the address in the same email.

Okay, thank you.

I have contacted her already about completing my paperwork and have not heard anything. I will wait to hear back from her about where I need to go to do my fingerprinting. Thanks again!

Hey guys,

Be sure to check your junk email (which I usually never check). My security clearance and fingerprint request went to my junk mail and I almost missed the 3 day window to turn my information in.

Oh goodness ! I just got really really sick to my stomach! I checked and there is nothing there. I will be watching that from now on though. I did notice that I read the OOO for my HR person wrong. She was out a whole week. I hope that my information comes soon!

that makes 4 of us in Richmond...I wonder why there are so many!?

I'm placed at Richmond too! That makes five! That seems like so many. Who else is placed here? How is everyone's onboarding going? I've sumbitted everything and completed fingerprints and am just waiting to hear back from my security guy. Have you guys started apartment hunting or anything? I feel like we are coming up on October fast!

I'm placed at Richmond too! That makes five! That seems like so many. Who else is placed here? How is everyone's onboarding going? I've sumbitted everything and completed fingerprints and am just waiting to hear back from my security guy. Have you guys started apartment hunting or anything? I feel like we are coming up on October fast!
Hey! I'm also in Richmond! I just sent over my fingerprints today. I've started searching for housing, and am hoping to sigh a lease here soon. I've been holding off because I've been waiting for my official offer.

Has anyone gotten anymore information after doing their finger printing?

Has anyone else not heard anything other than "tentatvie" offer. Dare we trade names of HR reps to see who's been out on vacation, or which are working faster than others. Honestly, by the time a formal offer comes, we'll have only a couple of weeks to move. When moving corss cournty, that's a problem. Who cna afford a hotel for a couple of weeks while looking for apts?

For all of those who are stressing about moving to a new city without their lodging finalized you may find www.airbnb.com rentals a little bit cheaper and more accommodating than a hotel until you can find permanent housing.

Finally got my tentative offer! Sent over my transcripts now waiting for the go ahead to do fingerprinting/on boarding.

Is anyone else in Raleigh?

Is anyone wondering how in the world we are going to survive on this salary? After considering health insurance, state and federal taxes, and student loans along with utilities (not cable and internet) I just am feeling VERY discouraged. Trying to find a place less than 600 a month is killing me!

Reactions: 1 users
Is anyone else in Raleigh?

Is anyone wondering how in the world we are going to survive on this salary? After considering health insurance, state and federal taxes, and student loans along with utilities (not cable and internet) I just am feeling VERY discouraged. Trying to find a place less than 600 a month is killing me!

I was places in Long Island and I feel your concern. Finding rent below $1000 (with several roommates, mind you) was nearly impossible. Ultimately, I had a pretty good alternative option (attending grad school on a good scholarship) and so I had to decline this opportunity in New York. Would have been awesome, but considering I have no outside income other than the job, it was a major concern for me. Others have made it work, though!

I also meant to tell everyone that some apartment complexes have a preferred employer program. Some programs are different but for the most part working for the federal government will give you some type of discount or negotiations with your lease.