2014 PHAP application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
End of day Atlanta time. Nothing. What does this mean?

Members don't see this ad.

Perhaps our finalization is being handled by someone on the west coast (might just be hopeful thinking)? Or perhaps we may get our letters sent by an automated email - someone mentioned earlier that their letter was sent at 3:00 am.

I was getting concerned because I had not heard anything since completing my security clearance so I sent an email yesterday and was told that I would receive my "Welcome Letter" by the end of the day. I heard nothing of course- I do not know why I am so surprised...so disappointed. ;) Oh well, this is supposed to be a growing experience for us all, maybe this is just the start of the lesson!

Members don't see this ad :)
I havent received anything either. Or heard anything since submitting my background check. I sent an email inquiring about my status in the on- boarding process and received no response yet. Im trying to remain hopeful that I'll hear something Monday.

Hey guys! Just got my official offer and welcome letter at exactly 11am eastern time today. They are coming. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Looks like there's some issue with my transcripts having been received by the CDC - if you sent your through the National Student Clearinghouse you may be dealing with similar issues.

Similar. I mailed mine, but now have to give another one. But I don't know where to send it -I'mplaying telephone tag with HR. My school doesn't do electronic versions. I'm scared days will pass before I can get another copy to them

Similar. I mailed mine, but now have to give another one. But I don't know where to send it -I'mplaying telephone tag with HR. My school doesn't do electronic versions. I'm scared days will pass before I can get another copy to them

Yeah once I get a message back from HR if they need transcripts from both of my colleges or just the most recent degree, I'm going to be calling the Clearinghouse and requesting a new transcript and free express delivery since they botched sending it the first time and then didn't tell us they got the mail bounced back to them. Might be worth it to contact your school's Registrar directly too to let them know of the problem.

I received my welcome letter and contact person for my host site, I'm assuming it's my official offer.

Reactions: 1 users
I receieved my welcome letter last week (my HR rep said this was my offer letter) and visited my host site for housing and met with my supervisor. Also received an email yesterday about the mandatory training we have to do by september 23rd. At the bottom of the email it said
"Please be mindful that the final offer is contingent upon a successful suitability background check." I was having sooooooo much trouble with my HR rep so I found another one to handle my paperwork and they are on top of things. If anyone has trouble try and get another HR rep to handle your paperwork.

I also found out I am the only PHAP in Raleigh.

Hi Guys... Im late in the game. Wish I knew about this forum earlier.. its already been so helpful and Ive only been here for about an hour.
Has anyone else been placed in Riviera Beach FL area?
Or does anyone have any advice on finding housing over there?

Im also yet to receive my official letter or contact info for my supervisor/host site. Its very worrisome since we are only about 3 weeks to the start date.

Members don't see this ad :)
I receieved my welcome letter last week (my HR rep said this was my offer letter) and visited my host site for housing and met with my supervisor. Also received an email yesterday about the mandatory training we have to do by september 23rd. At the bottom of the email it said
"Please be mindful that the final offer is contingent upon a successful suitability background check." I was having sooooooo much trouble with my HR rep so I found another one to handle my paperwork and they are on top of things. If anyone has trouble try and get another HR rep to handle your paperwork.

I also found out I am the only PHAP in Raleigh.

How did you go about getting a new HR rep? It might be too late in the process for me to do that but I've had a lot of trouble with mine as well. I've been calling and emailing for the last few days with no response......

How did you go about getting a new HR rep? It might be too late in the process for me to do that but I've had a lot of trouble with mine as well. I've been calling and emailing for the last few days with no response......

The HR rep to contact is the person who emailed you the 'tentative offer' that included the pay and location among other things. Contacting the rep sure facilitated my official letter process which I got last Friday. I called friday morning and got the offer around 2pm central time. I think the background clearance team didn't contact the HR that I was cleared, that was what caused my delay. That same day, I was introduced to my host site supervisor.

Will advice those of you that got the tentative offer and got cleared for the background check to do the same.

Just got my official letter this morning at about 10 am!

In the past week, I have been harassing my HR with calls to the point that she knew already that I was the one calling :).
I will call , and again until they pick up. Email never worked well, no feedback !
Don't give in, she told me they are only 3 people working for all the PHAPers.

I got my official offer yesterday and then had to hurry to get my SF-61 notarized and IDs uploaded into the Onboarding system. I never got any further contact after they asked me for my transcript, but it seems once they received it they were ready to go with sending me everything else. For anyone waiting, I would recommend calling and knowing where your closest notary is so you can get your SF-61 in as soon as possible since they said it was due the 15th. I've also been told by my friends that they've received letters for the background check this week so that part seems to be moving along as well.

Did anyone get the SF-61 for notarized or do we wait until we get to Atlanta? I thought that's what it said in the official offer but on the paper it says that it is notarized in Atlanta.

Did anyone get the SF-61 for notarized or do we wait until we get to Atlanta? I thought that's what it said in the official offer but on the paper it says that it is notarized in Atlanta.
The paper HR sent me today was asking to have the form notarized and uploaded on Onboarding manager by sept 23rd. I just went ahead and notarized it this morning. Will upload accordingly !

Your bank should have a free notary service for you, that's where I went !

My HR rep said for me not to get it notarized until after we've been sworn in.

HR

The paper HR sent me today was asking to have the form notarized and uploaded on Onboarding manager by sept 23rd. I just went ahead and notarized it this morning. Will upload accordingly !
On the line that says "Subscribed and sworn before me this day of...." does it then say Atlanta GA or where you are currently located or did you just get it notarized saying Atlanta GA?

I just had it filled out by the notary and put my current location, as it does not say nothing !

I finally got a reply from a HR rep and she said that she is still waiting on my background check although its been over 2 weeks. I am not sure how to know if I have been cleared or not, I am just hoping that once I am cleared that information will be quickly relayed to HR.
In the meantime I was connecting with my host site supervisor. So as of now I still do not have the welcome letter or any next steps but I at least know where I will be working.

Last edited:
The HR rep to contact is the person who emailed you the 'tentative offer' that included the pay and location among other things. Contacting the rep sure facilitated my official letter process which I got last Friday. I called friday morning and got the offer around 2pm central time. I think the background clearance team didn't contact the HR that I was cleared, that was what caused my delay. That same day, I was introduced to my host site supervisor.

Will advice those of you that got the tentative offer and got cleared for the background check to do the same.

Thanks, I had been contacting the HR rep that emailed me the 'tentative offer' and was getting no response (email nor phone) so that is why I was trying to find another avenue. Luckily I finally got a reply on Friday basically telling me to wait some more so thats what I will do :)

Last edited:
On the line that says "Subscribed and sworn before me this day of...." does it then say Atlanta GA or where you are currently located or did you just get it notarized saying Atlanta GA?

The person that notarized my form just marked out the Atlanta, GA and put in Iowa????
I hope that this is the right way to do it....

My HR rep told me to wait until the first day to do the SF-61, I was confused as well. She said that the webinar on the first day would give more instructions I believe.

For anyone still waiting, continue to call and check and double check. After 2 weeks of calling and emailing I found out there was a mistake made by the security personnel which was holding up my process. So hopefully I will have on official offer by Friday now that its been figured out

Hey I created a Facebook group for everyone to join, I figured that's an easier way to discuss everything than this forum! Just search 2014 CDC PHAP and you should be able to find it, it's a closed group. I'm sure it will be very useful as we get started and when we all meet up in November! :)

Anyone else not able to log on to the webinar? I was told it was "full" even though I got on just before it started. HR was no help of course. Nervous that I'm missing all of this info :(

I ended up calling in via GoogleVoice for the same reason

Join the phone call
Anyone else not able to log on to the webinar? I was told it was "full" even though I got on just before it started. HR was no help of course. Nervous that I'm missing all of this info :(

Join the phone call.

For anyone still waiting, continue to call and check and double check. After 2 weeks of calling and emailing I found out there was a mistake made by the security personnel which was holding up my process. So hopefully I will have on official offer by Friday now that its been figured out

Did they tell you what that mistake was?

Did they tell you what that mistake was?

Yeah basically 1) they overlooked my signature form in the background system and 2) thought they sent me an email that was never sent

Yeah basically 1) they overlooked my signature form in the background system and 2) thought they sent me an email that was never sent

That's awful. That must be everyone else's delay as well. Here I am about to sign a lease with no official letter.

That's awful. That must be everyone else's delay as well. Here I am about to sign a lease with no official letter.

Yeah I just submitted a security deposit for an apartment with no official letter so I just keep telling myself it will all work out

Does anyone else find the webinar somewhat confusing? Can someone clarify that these are some of the key points they made today?

1) Update your address (the one near your host site) before Friday because on Monday, HR will be doing tons of paperwork. If you do update/change your address, make sure you resubmit all your forms on the onboarding manager website.
2) We have 60(?) days to fill out the benefits and beneficiary forms? Once we fill out the benefits form, we email phapneo to tell them we've sent it. For beneficiary, we just bring the forms to Atlanta.

Does anyone else find the webinar somewhat confusing? Can someone clarify that these are some of the key points they made today?

1) Update your address (the one near your host site) before Friday because on Monday, HR will be doing tons of paperwork. If you do update/change your address, make sure you resubmit all your forms on the onboarding manager website.
2) We have 60(?) days to fill out the benefits and beneficiary forms? Once we fill out the benefits form, we email phapneo to tell them we've sent it. For beneficiary, we just bring the forms to Atlanta.

Yeah my understanding is we have until Friday to update our address in the system and if we do make a change we will have to resubmit the forms already submitted so that the updated address is correct on those forms as well.

And yes we have 60 days from date of hire to fill out benefits and beneficiary forms and send an email saying it has been submitted. For the beneficiary form you only have to print and bring to Atlanta if you do NOT want to keep the statutory order of precedence (slide 43)

This is what I got from the call and presentation

Yeah my understanding is we have until Friday to update our address in the system and if we do make a change we will have to resubmit the forms already submitted so that the updated address is correct on those forms as well.

And yes we have 60 days from date of hire to fill out benefits and beneficiary forms and send an email saying it has been submitted. For the beneficiary form you only have to print and bring to Atlanta if you do NOT want to keep the statutory order of precedence (slide 43)

This is what I got from the call and presentation

Thank you for your reply!

Until October 6, 2014 the SF-61 form is not legal and has to be resigned on Oct 6..... oooops we have to have those reset.

Can anyone provide more information about the tuition reimbursement program? I hadn't heard of that until the phone conference- anyone else know what that applies to?

Can anyone provide more information about the tuition reimbursement program? I hadn't heard of that until the phone conference- anyone else know what that applies to?

Same here, and isnt this also considered a fellowship training program; will this allow us to defer our student loans????

Whoa my email about the webinar came yesterday evening around 4:30pm. I just checked my email mid day today. I missed the webinar to say the least.... Please update me!? They want an address near our host site by THIS FRIDAY? Really ?

Hey I created a Facebook group for everyone to join, I figured that's an easier way to discuss everything than this forum! Just search 2014 CDC PHAP and you should be able to find it, it's a closed group. I'm sure it will be very useful as we get started and when we all meet up in November! :)

Is the group searchable? I tried finding it but nothing came up in the search.

Whoa my email about the webinar came yesterday evening around 4:30pm. I just checked my email mid day today. I missed the webinar to say the least.... Please update me!? They want an address near our host site by THIS FRIDAY? Really ?

They just need an address where you can receive info from payroll and benefits within like 60-90 days of our start date. So it can be your address where you are moving or a permanent (like relative's) address. They stressed that the post office probaly wont forward it even if you set up mail forwarding so we have to be sure a good address is on file in onboarding by Friday. Also if you want to make any changes to your forms (like direct deposit) those have to be done by friday as well

Was anyone able to catch if we could use a PO Box address? My audio was cutting in and out during the webinar and couldn't catch all the answers to the questions being asked.

Was anyone able to catch if we could use a PO Box address? My audio was cutting in and out during the webinar and couldn't catch all the answers to the questions being asked.

No, you cannot use a PO Box address ONLY a permanent mailing address.

Hey guys! Does anyone know if fare share was mentioned in the webinar? It's the reimbursement program for those who use public transit to and from work?

Same here, and isnt this also considered a fellowship training program; will this allow us to defer our student loans????

My loan servicer makes it sound like the fellowship deferrment program is for "study" and not a full-time job like this, but I haven't tried deferring. Really it'd be up to you to contact your loan services (great lakes, sallie mae, etc).

The good news is that if you're in repayment, the payments count toward Public Service Forgiveness: https://studentaid.ed.gov/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/charts/public-service

Hey guys! Does anyone know if fare share was mentioned in the webinar? It's the reimbursement program for those who use public transit to and from work?

Feel free to PM me regarding fare share, but for everyone's information: it's program that reimburses you for public transit that you take to/from work >50% of the time. Monthly limit of $130. Once you're enrolled it's fairly simple to get reimbursed, just keep your reciepts.