2014 PHAP application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just wondered if anyone had heard anything further. My application status still says reviewed so just wondered if other people had already been referred on?

I also received an email early this morning for round two. Working on my personal statement now!

Members don't see this ad :)
How many states are you guys checking off? I don't know if I am better off checking more or less.

I was wondering the same thing. I checked like 10 or so I would prefer and then also checked that there was no where I was unwilling to go.

I was wondering the same thing. I checked like 10 or so I would prefer and then also checked that there was no where I was unwilling to go.

Ok that is what I was going to do too. I don't mind going anywhere but I want them to know what my actual preferences are instead of making it seem like I don't care at all!

Does anyone know how many open positions there will be for each state?

Does anyone know how many open positions there will be for each state?
. Hey, they won't know until they get through all the host applications. Last year they got those done just right before they did interviews... It was about 133 sites last year I believe. :) hope that helps

Does anyone who applied last year have any advice on the personal statement? Should it be more creative sounding and interesting? Or should we treat it more like a cover letter that really spells out why we might be a good fit?

I wrote mine more like a cover letter, outlining my experience/education and interest in the field of public health -seems to have worked last time! So glad to have that submitted -now for the long wait until interviews :/

I also wrote mine more like a cover letter, the same as last year. I did allude to my unique experiences and make it catchy, but it reads much like a narrative of who I am and why I want this job.

Hello everyone! I'm new to sdn but I've been following this forum for the PHAP application process. It seems like last year there was a long wait for interviews, but on the application instructions it says final selections will be made by May 2014. Does anyone know if it said something like this last year and just took longer? It would be nice if we heard back that early :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I am thinking we won't hear back for at least a month. The whole timeline seems to be behind from the website. Has anyone heard of any updates on the timeline or how many people have applied?

Last edited:
Mine was written more like personal statements I've written in the past but incorporating specific answers to their 3 questions. I guess we'll see if that pays off.

Reactions: 1 user
My personal statement was definitely written more like a narrative (that focused mostly on the three questions) rather than like a cover letter that I would traditionally do for an application for employment. I wrote my personal statement in the style that is traditionally expected from applicants who are applying for fellowships. My thought process was that since this IS a fellowship within the CDC, a personal statement narrative would be more what is expected than a cover letter. But others have said a cover letter worked for them in the past.... so whatever works. We can only wait and see at this point. :)

Hi! I'm new to SDN as well after reading this forum. I was also invited to submit my personal statement, and wrote mine more like a narrative making sure to address the three criteria asked for. It starts off as a story, continues to list my experience/accomplishments, and then ties everything together at the end. I haven't seen any numbers as far as how many applicants were asked to submit their personal statement, and I'm also curious! From reading last year's forums, it sounds like applicants were informed that they would be interviewing around mid-May, but who knows if that's the case this year.

Hello everyone! I'm new to sdn but I've been following this forum for the PHAP application process. It seems like last year there was a long wait for interviews, but on the application instructions it says final selections will be made by May 2014. Does anyone know if it said something like this last year and just took longer? It would be nice if we heard back that early :)
I know last year they found out about interviews around May 16, so I'm guessing we won't hear back any earlier than that. Also, I just received an email saying that the estimated notification for final offers will be in July, but hopefully that is a worst-case scenario?

I know last year they found out about interviews around May 16, so I'm guessing we won't hear back any earlier than that. Also, I just received an email saying that the estimated notification for final offers will be in July, but hopefully that is a worst-case scenario?
Hi, lanc123,
I was wondering since you said you received an e-mail stating that the estimated notification for final offers will be in July..., have you been notified that you have been selected for an interview? Or is the e-mail you received in response to a question you had asked the PHAP HR?

Hi, lanc123,
I was wondering since you said you received an e-mail stating that the estimated notification for final offers will be in July..., have you been notified that you have been selected for an interview? Or is the e-mail you received in response to a question you had asked the PHAP HR?
In response to a question. I don't think we'll find out about interviews until mid-May. Best of luck!

Application is still being reviewed!!! According to the 2013 forum, they started getting interviews scheduled mid May, I hope we share the same fate because the wait is killing me.

Looks like they updated the website on May 6th. http://www.cdc.gov/phap/become_associate/application_process.html

June/JulyPhase III: CDC will notify PHAP finalists and schedule interviews to be held either in person or by teleconference. Candidates are responsible for all travel costs associated with attending in-person interviews. Final interviews, whether in person or via teleconference, merit the same consideration in the selection process.

I accidentally stumbled onto this forum after I submitted my questionnaire. I have not heard anything since then other than "your application is being reviewed". I agree that this process is taking much longer than originally indicated. I feel like we are all just holding our breaths waiting to hear something...anything?

I've heard nothing either. Has anyone emailed/called recently to see when we should hear back? This is making planning out life a little tricky:/

I still haven't heard anything. I agree it is hard to life plan when this process is taking so long.

Hello everyone,

I am not new to this forum but haven't been on here in about 2 years. But I stumbled across this thread! I also submitted my personal statement back in April and am waiting to hear something. I applied in 2012 (before the application was hosted on USA JOBS) and received a call for an interview in like May but I declined since I decided to pursue my MPH instead. Anyway I hope we hear something soon, the website says interviews in June/July so hopefully its sooner rather than later!

Ill share if I hear anything!

Just got an email to set up a phone interview for this week or next week. I guess they're doing just phone interviews now instead of trying to schedule in-person interviews.

I received an email to set up a phone interview as well. Good luck to everyone in this phase!

I got an interview as well! Good luck everyone!

The same here- phone interview scheduled for next week.

Just scheduled my phone interview, congrats everyone!

I was also invited to be interviewed by telephone. Good luck to all!

I applied last year and was offered a site, but I declined. I didn't apply this year because I got a job. Last year they had a lot of declines, then they started offering random locations at the last minute (ex. move from new york to california with a week or less notice starting people out at 32-35K). I also contacted some people that had completed the program previously and none of them were offered jobs at cdc, so it is not a guaranteed foot in the door :-/ College and masters graduates were competing against veterinarians, post-docs...it was kinda ridiculous.

That's awesome that you were offered an opportunity. While it may be crazy to move so last minute, it's amazing the changes they have made in the program. For example, they have a longer time line for hiring so it isn't so rushed. I had a couple weeks to figure things out last year which I admit was stressful. Also, thus recent class had way more job opportunities. They changed how we are hired so now you can apply noncompetitively throughout the whole government in multiple agencies. And now departments are investing money into the program so they can get trained professionals to hire after. The hiring rates are going up and the opportunities are in an abundance compared to previous years. It was definitely rough for the first few classes. Prior to this year there were like 5 positions people could compete for. But I will say, every day we get told how lucky we are to be the first class that got to experience the new model. So i hope no one gets discouraged from applying. It's tough for some to pay to relocate and make an entry level wage, but after you meet and shake hands with the people who are in the position you want and they personally ask for your resume and contact info, you realize that anything is possible and it's worth more than any experience you can get anywhere else. They're all here to help you succeed by providing top of the line resources and first hand knowledge. It's worth every sacrifice you will make.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know what the numbers are looking like this year for the program? How many are interviewing? I read earlier there were 2,600 applicants and 166 potential spots.

Last edited:
Does anyone know why there are only 35 spots on the phone interview Doodle if there are 166 potential spots total? Are some people being asked to do face-to-face interviews?

Does anyone know why there are only 35 spots on the phone interview Doodle if there are 166 potential spots total? Are some people being asked to do face-to-face interviews?

There are multiple interviewers. My group has around 20 spots. In the past there have been some in-person interviews but I am not sure about this year.

Last edited:
There are multiple interviewers. My group has around 20 spots. In the past there have been some in-person interviews but I am not sure about this year.
Got it. Thanks for clarifying!

Got an email to set up a phone interview as well. #imsohappy

From what I have seen on this thread and based upon the e-mail inviting applicants to telephone interviews, it seems that CDC is conducting interviews by telephone only. Has anyone here been invited to an "in-person" interview or been given the option to attend an "in-person" interview?

From what I have seen on this thread and based upon the e-mail inviting applicants to telephone interviews, it seems that CDC is conducting interviews by telephone only. Has anyone here been invited to an "in-person" interview or been given the option to attend an "in-person" interview?

Since the email says this interview is "the last phase in the application process", I think this is likely it. They've pushed the timeline back this year so I'm not even sure they'd have time to do it if they'd want to and have everyone through the background checks/paperwork by October.

Since the email says this interview is "the last phase in the application process", I think this is likely it. They've pushed the timeline back this year so I'm not even sure they'd have time to do it if they'd want to and have everyone through the background checks/paperwork by October.

Once I saw that too I realized it was indeed going to be the last stage in this process. Which i'm greatful for, because I'll know my fate after the phone interview and hopefully get a follow-up by the end of July.

I had my interview yesterday. I thought it went pretty well. I was able to completely nail a couple questions and answered the others fairly well.... considering the impromptu nature of the questions. Could have done better on a couple of questions though. :unsure: But hey, one can always do better in hindsight. I also know I could have done tons worse! ;) So over all, I am pleased with how the interview went.

It seems that the CDC is conducting the interviews differently than in the past when you compare to last year's forum and the advise given on this year's forum... (but could have been my interviewer, too). I must say: It was not like any other interview I have ever had. Reminded me more of an oral exam that I had taken in the past... than an interview, but I can totally see why the CDC is doing the interview the way they are ... considering the type of fellowship we are applying for. Was quite glad that I prepared myself for the interview. :writer: But that is just my impression. Someone else might see it entirely different. Good luck to all!

Has anyone received an email saying they have not been selected for an interview?

Has anyone received an email saying they have not been selected for an interview?
My understanding with federal applications is that only those who move forward in a phase are notified. Thus, only those who were asked to write a personal statement were notified, and out of those who provided personal statements - only those who were invited to be interviewed were notified. And finally, of those who are/will be interviewed: only those who are being offered a fellowship will be notified.

BUT, last year.... as applicants dropped from the program either by declining to be interviewed or by declining to accept a fellowship location, applicants were added to the pool from the previous phase. For instance, right now there are 45 interview spots within my group for my particular interviewer, but only 18 applicants have scheduled with this interviewer so far. So by the last day of interviewing (June 19th), it is possible that more applicants may be invited to be interviewed due to lack of response. Remember the first wave of invited applicants are the most qualified and desirable, but also the most likely to have already been offered other fellowship positions or been accepted into graduate programs or received promising job offers. Myself included. I declined an offer to advance in another fellowship type program that was less along the lines of my preferred career direction of public health, since I was advancing in the CDC PHAP application process. I decided to take the risk and hope that I ultimately will be offered a fellowship in the PHAP. But other applicants who have been offered a PHAP interview may have already accepted something else.

My point being that: even though you haven't been invited to be interviewed for this round of interviews, does not mean that you have been entirely excluded from the PHAP program. Read through last year's SDN 2013 PHAP forum, and you will see applicants being offered fellowships right down to the week before their location start date!!

Last edited: