2014 PHAP application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I can definitely relate to everyone's issue. I was pretty lucky seeing as though I wasn't placed in a major city and cost of living is very affordable. The main issue I feel i'll face is the fact that I don't have a car and public transportation isn't too reliable in that area. Does anyone know anything about Illinois? I need all the input I can get. I'd be VERY willing to room with someone who is also placed in the state. Please feel free to message me.

I currently reside in Chicago, Illinois and I can guarantee you that you'll be just fine without a car in Illinois. The transportation system is very reliable and I will suggest that you download a bus tracker which is very accurate. Just so you know the cost living is high in this city. Later you'll be glad you don't have a car because you'll save a ton on car maintenance, insurance, and gas which is crazy expensive.

IF you don't find someone else placed in Illinois, I recommend you get on Craigslist. You can easily find roomates or rent a room. The price will range from $500 -700 without utilities.

Feel free to ask me any questions as it relates to my city for the next 2 months :D

Members don't see this ad.

I can definitely relate to everyone's issue. I was pretty lucky seeing as though I wasn't placed in a major city and cost of living is very affordable. The main issue I feel i'll face is the fact that I don't have a car and public transportation isn't too reliable in that area. Does anyone know anything about Illinois? I need all the input I can get. I'd be VERY willing to room with someone who is also placed in the state. Please feel free to message me.

Where in Illinois were you placed? I've lived in the Chicagoland area my entire life so I know quite a bit about it. Like the poster said above, if its anywhere in Chicago, you'll be totally fine without a car. You'd only find difficulty if you were placed in the middle of a suburb without any Metra or bus lines. If you're placed further south though (like in Carbondale or Peoria or something) it'll be significantly more difficult.

Hi everyone,

Lurker as well! So happy to have been offered a placement in the midwest. It definitely wasn't my preference, but at least it's a city and the cost of living isn't too bad :) I definitely felt the pressure...with 24 hours to decide and very little detail to go on, but I think it'd be worth it.

Question for all you guys:
Since we're starting in October and it's a two-year program, does that mean we'd end October 2016? I feel like that's such an awkward time to end considering grad school starts August/early September! I definitely want to get my MPH and am actually forgoing grad school to do PHAP. I absolutely hate the idea of delaying until 2017 to start. Does anybody have any advice about this?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys :)!!! It's in which is a couple of hours away from Chicago :confused:. Know anything about it?

I will definitely look into Craigslist. How is everyone going to go about apt hunting? I'm just thankful we have a decent amount of time to search compared to last years cohort.

Last edited:
A car is required at my placement. It will be required for work but no telling how often, I'm terrified because I currently use my vehicle for work with the state reimbursement and it is definitely a CON.

Hi guys :)!!! It's in Belvidere which is a couple of hours away from Chicago :confused:. Know anything about it?

I will definitely look into Craigslist. How is everyone going to go about apt hunting? I'm just thankful we have a decent amount of time to search compared to last years cohort.

Also anyone placed in the Philadelphia area feel free to ask any questions!

I just looked it up, its about an hour and 15 mins from Chicago. If I were you, I'll find a place (5 or 10 mins) close to the health department I'll be working. If you need to commute to other areas to socialize you can get on the Metra train. I'm sure there'll be a CTA train in that area that'll come towards Chicago as well.

On Craigslist search for places in Belvidere IL.

I still don't think you need a car.

Hi guys :)!!! It's in Belvidere which is a couple of hours away from Chicago :confused:. Know anything about it?

Hmm...Belvidere is close to Rockford, another metropolitan area in Chicago. I don't know much about the area but you might be right about the transportation issue, I can't imagine a smaller city in Illinois having fantastic public transit. Once you get your placement, I'm sure you could talk to your coworkers and ask them about it. Sorry I can't be more of a help!

Hi everyone,

Lurker as well! So happy to have been offered a placement in the midwest. It definitely wasn't my preference, but at least it's a city and the cost of living isn't too bad :) I definitely felt the pressure...with 24 hours to decide and very little detail to go on, but I think it'd be worth it.

Question for all you guys:
Since we're starting in October and it's a two-year program, does that mean we'd end October 2016? I feel like that's such an awkward time to end considering grad school starts August/early September! I definitely want to get my MPH and am actually forgoing grad school to do PHAP. I absolutely hate the idea of delaying until 2017 to start. Does anybody have any advice about this?

I asked when it would end and they said October 2016. I also want to pursue grad school so I am hoping they would understand with grad school starting in August.

I have family who lives in Belvidere, it's pretty quiet and should be affordable to live there; however, you're going to definitely need a vehicle of some kind to get around. There is a bus, but there is only one route.

I'm going to call the major public transportation station and ask more questions. Having the official site location would make this so much easier.

Thank you all so much for your input!

I have family who lives in Belvidere, it's pretty quiet and should be affordable to live there; however, you're going to definitely need a vehicle of some kind to get around. There is a bus, but there is only one route.
That's what I thought. I'll have to figure something out soon. Thank you for the confirmation!! Do you know the name of the officialtransportation company?

For those who haven't been contacted yet, have you heard anything?

I am going to assume that if I don't hear anything, that I may not have gotten it. Therefore, I will proceed on with my next plan. Congrats to those who made it!

Members don't see this ad :)
No, I still haven't heard back yet. I'm assuming if I don't hear anything today, that I haven't gotten it. I'm glad there are quite a few others who seemed to be successful here though!

I haven't heard anything but I don't think they have officially denied anyone throughout the process. Don't give up hope yet though guys! Some people are bound to turn down their acceptance for better opportunities.

Hi toinfinity_!

I am a first time poster as well. I accepted a position in Philadelphia yesterday morning. I do not have your traditional Public Health background. I am from Atlanta, and that is where I am currently working as well. What can you tell me about Philadelphia, and I am assuming the cost of living is pretty expensive there. I am not sure but I think I will either be placed at the Philadelphia Health Department or the Philadelphia Quarantine. I researched previous host sites and those were the only two in Philadelphia.

I am kind of nervous, because I have never lived anywhere that I did not know a single person.

Also (anyone can respond) I was wondering how hard it would be to attend graduate school while completing the PHAP program. I only ask because I do want to pursue the degree with a concentration in Epidemiology (more than likely). I currently posses a Master of Public Administration degree and a Bachelor of Arts- Political Science degree. I was able to work full time (40+ hours) and complete my MPA in 11 months, I am sure I would not necessarily be able to beat these odds again but does anyone who has completed the degree have any advice for me regarding this matter?

Hi toinfinity_!

I am a first time poster as well. I accepted a position in Philadelphia yesterday morning. I do not have your traditional Public Health background. I am from Atlanta, and that is where I am currently working as well. What can you tell me about Philadelphia, and I am assuming the cost of living is pretty expensive there. I am not sure but I think I will either be placed at the Philadelphia Health Department or the Philadelphia Quarantine. I researched previous host sites and those were the only two in Philadelphia.

I am kind of nervous, because I have never lived anywhere that I did not know a single person.

Also (anyone can respond) I was wondering how hard it would be to attend graduate school while completing the PHAP program. I only ask because I do want to pursue the degree with a concentration in Epidemiology (more than likely). I currently posses a Master of Public Administration degree and a Bachelor of Arts- Political Science degree. I was able to work full time (40+ hours) and complete my MPA in 11 months, I am sure I would not necessarily be able to beat these odds again but does anyone who has completed the degree have any advice for me regarding this matter?
Hi toinfinity_!

Hi, I too am from Atlanta and was offered a position in Philly. I don't know anything about the area and never visited, but I'm planning a visit once we find out more information. I recently finished a MPH and it was only 45 credit hours. Many of my classmates worked full time. You will need to view the course schedule and times to see if you can do both at once. I suggest finding a CEPH accredited online MPH if you need a lot of flexibility.

Hi, I too am from Atlanta and was offered a position in Philly. I don't know anything about the area and never visited, but I'm planning a visit once we find out more information. I recently finished a MPH and it was only 45 credit hours. Many of my classmates worked full time. You will need to view the course schedule and times to see if you can do both at once. I suggest finding a CEPH accredited online MPH if you need a lot of flexibility.

I wonder if everyone they selected from Atlanta will be in Philadelphia. It is going to be a major change for me being that I hate cold weather lol so I know I will be in for a rude awakening. And 45 hours is not bad at all, the program was the only reason I did not apply, because had I been accepted and started school somewhere, I knew there was a possibility I could be picking up my life and moving. So I am going to start my research now and look for schools in the area. Money is also something I am keeping in mind. I am already paying back loans from my first graduate degree.....even though deferment is a option. I want to be sure I am not taking on more than I can chew. I know my work ethic will allow me to be successful in the program, just want to be able to manage my time accordingly.

Did you choose Philadelphia as a location preference? I didn't but I am definitely not going to complain or dwell on my placement. I am doing a little bit of research now about Philadelphia. I plan to fly up within the next couple of weeks to find a place once we receive more information as well. I am curious, when in October do we have to report to our host site. Do you know?

Reactions: 1 user
Hi toinfinity_!

Hi GALeo and Reex2!

Congrats to you both! Philly is a very large city and you can get anywhere with convenience using public transportation. My housing advice in terms of the GS salary is to stay away from the heart of center city which is around 12-29th and market/chestnut/walnut street areas. The beautiful thing about Philadelphia is that it's home to a lot of universities which means there are always grad students looking for roommates. I'd suggest craigslist like previously mentioned for graduate housing. University City is located in West Philly and is a booming college and young professional area being that it's home to both University of Penn and Drexel. It can be a bit pricey but is by far one of the safest areas around and like I said, the roommate demand is always there. A good amount of home owners rent out their homes, or rooms as well but you'll want to be careful of the neighborhood. If possible i'd suggest you at least attempt to make one trip here to get a good lay of the land. This city if filled with sketchy areas but lots of hidden gems as well. I hope that helps! :)

I wonder if everyone they selected from Atlanta will be in Philadelphia. It is going to be a major change for me being that I hate cold weather lol so I know I will be in for a rude awakening. And 45 hours is not bad at all, the program was the only reason I did not apply, because had I been accepted and started school somewhere, I knew there was a possibility I could be picking up my life and moving. So I am going to start my research now and look for schools in the area. Money is also something I am keeping in mind. I am already paying back loans from my first graduate degree.....even though deferment is a option. I want to be sure I am not taking on more than I can chew. I know my work ethic will allow me to be successful in the program, just want to be able to manage my time accordingly.

Did you choose Philadelphia as a location preference? I didn't but I am definitely not going to complain or dwell on my placement. I am doing a little bit of research now about Philadelphia. I plan to fly up within the next couple of weeks to find a place once we receive more information as well. I am curious, when in October do we have to report to our host site. Do you know?

I'm pretty sure I checked almost every location preference. From my understanding it's Oct. 5

Just got the phone call--I got placed in Chicago!!! I've basically lived here my entire life, so I'm a little bummed I didn't get to move, but SOOOO excited for the opportunity!!!!!!

I asked when it would end and they said October 2016. I also want to pursue grad school so I am hoping they would understand with grad school starting in August.

Hmm, I am having the same dilemma. I had 18 hours to decide if I was going to accept or not and now I am nervous that I will have to delay my grad school plans even further. Would appreciate any advice as well!

Last edited:
Hmm, I am having the same dilemma. I had 18 hours to decide if I was going to accept or not and now I am nervous that I will have to delay my grad school plans even further. Would appreciate any advice as well!

I know for previous years, when placements used to start in August, that the programs ended in May. So I assumed since the placements now start in October, that the program would end in July instead, thus giving enough time for graduate school. I could be completely wrong though, so I would ask a PHAP employee.

Just got the phone call--I got placed in Chicago!!! I've basically lived here my entire life, so I'm a little bummed I didn't get to move, but SOOOO excited for the opportunity!!!!!!

Congratulations. I'm happy for you and a little jealous you won't be moving.

Congrats! If you received a call, then I should be positive and wait for mine.. although it's literally killing me.

Congrats! If you received a call, then I should be positive and wait for mine.. although it's literally killing me.

Same :( I've been anxious for 24+ hours now.

In response to those who have posted that have yet to be contacted.....
I also feel your pain as other candidates receive offers, and I don't... but I do notice that assignments/stations/locations (eg. Long Island, NY and LA) which have been declined in past PHAP classes by potential candidates are those locations that are being offered first to candidates on the list. Maybe this is so that these locations are not left without a PHAP associate until the last hour as happened last year. Some of these locations were declined by more than one candidate and are harder to fill, so thus being offered first. Other less harder to fill locations might still be available.

As I noted before: Check out the forum for the PHAP class of 2013 --- phone call and e-mail offers expanded over a period of at least 10 days from June 10th through June 19th! Then as applicants turned down assignment locations and also rescinded acceptance of their assignment, offers continued through June 30th (and beyond)!!! So don't give up hope as the HR representatives continue to work their way down the applicant pool of names of those individuals who have made it through the interview phase! So keep your phone close by and check your e-mail regularly. :)

Ahhh!!! The wait ! I must admit I've been on edge tooo:) but good things come to those who wait . I just gotta convince myself of that . !!!!

Keep your head up everyone! I was getting really worried, but I just accepted a position in Washington D.C.! They apparently lost my phone number (what?), but it's all good now. The woman who called me also told me they're accepting 167 members this time around and that anyone who has already heard back to be aware it's going to take them some time to process everything (a few weeks at least). Stay patient and positive :)

Has anyone gotten placed in Atlanta, GA or Houston, TX or know of anyone who has? Those were my top 2 choices so I was just curious if anyone here was placed there.

Thanks!

Has anyone gotten placed in Atlanta, GA or Houston, TX or know of anyone who has? Those were my top 2 choices so I was just curious if anyone here was placed there.

Thanks!

QUOTE="pursuingPublicHealth, post: 15428841, member: 624724"]I feel similarly to you in regards to not feeling as if I have enough information to accept or decline my offer. I was informed via email this morning that I am being offered a position in Houston, TX. The individual who emailed me attached the "background information and accept/decline form" and said that I was required to submit it by 5pm EST tomorrow. The email contained no other information about the offer EXCEPT for the geographical location. While I am very excited to have an offer extended to me, I feel somewhat confused and frustrated that I am being asked to accept/deny the offer within 1-day without any additional information such as: specific host-site, the rotational program area(s) that I would be & details on the type of work/projects I would be assigned. I would also like to be able to speak with the associate(s) presently at the specific host-site to hear their perspectives and to gain an understanding of the type of work environment I would be in.

If anyone has any advice on this, please reply. I am incredibly interested in this program and feel very flustered that I am being given 1-day to make a major life decision with very minimal information. Thank you in advance![/QUOTE]

I got a call today too that I am in Chicago! I was in the process of making plans to move to Salt Lake City before I got the call. I am so torn as to what to do...

I also had many reservations and concerns after being extended my offer to work in NY. I just think about it like this: this is a provisional offer. Once we get the final offer from HR after background checks I am hoping they will provide more information that I can process before signing the final offer. I am very concerned about the relocation costs because I currently live in Texas and am not in a position to travel much to NY to look for housing and am concerned about the amount of money it is going to take to get my things up there and pay for a place up front. When I was talking to the person that called me about my concerns with relocating she kept saying how previous associates were helped by family members or went to their locations a few times before the start date to search....I just felt like a lot of assumptions were made about the resources individuals have access to......which is frustrating

She also mentioned we would have access to PH Connection or something that other associates use....not sure when....but that would allow us to connect with current associates.

I also had many reservations and concerns after being extended my offer to work in NY. I just think about it like this: this is a provisional offer. Once we get the final offer from HR after background checks I am hoping they will provide more information that I can process before signing the final offer. I am very concerned about the relocation costs because I currently live in Texas and am not in a position to travel much to NY to look for housing and am concerned about the amount of money it is going to take to get my things up there and pay for a place up front. When I was talking to the person that called me about my concerns with relocating she kept saying how previous associates were helped by family members or went to their locations a few times before the start date to search....I just felt like a lot of assumptions were made about the resources individuals have access to......which is frustrating

She also mentioned we would have access to PH Connection or something that other associates use....not sure when....but that would allow us to connect with current associates.
It seems a lot us have a lot of frustrations about the limited information given, and the seeming randomness of assignment. Do you think anyone from CDC is watching this website and getting that sense.
I saw that one applicant last year declined an assignment and then managed to get a more suitable allocation from the waitlist.

Has anyone here had the opportunity to discuss assignments during their telephone call. When I called back to accept my assignment I have repeatedly just gotten vmail. I would like to say - "I might like to go on the waiting list to hope for a location I'm much prefer while appreciating I risk getting nothing. Can you tell me how that list is shaping up? How many people are declining offers, etc etc." - I just think some information, any information would be useful.

Anybody extracted anything useful from their calls/

T
Keep your head up everyone! I was getting really worried, but I just accepted a position in Washington D.C.! They apparently lost my phone number (what?), but it's all good now. The woman who called me also told me they're accepting 167 members this time around and that anyone who has already heard back to be aware it's going to take them some time to process everything (a few weeks at least). Stay patient and positive :)

That's great news! I am still waiting... I do wonder if they have contacted most people already. But I'll be patient, despite the anxiety

I'm waiting too !!! It's a count down!!!!!
T

That's great news! I am still waiting... I do wonder if they have contacted most people already. But I'll be patient, despite the anxiety

Your sentiment: "Once we get the final offer from HR after background checks I am hoping they will provide more information that I can process before signing the final offer. " explains why last year soooo many applicants got their offers as much as a month or more after the initial flurry of phone call offers. Once candidates got their "official" offers with possibly more info about their assignments (and after more time to explore the realistic details/facts of their locations and determine the cost of a move), some candidates choose NOT to sign their official offer and rescinded their verbal acceptance. Makes total sense! It is true that a verbal acceptance legally doesn't mean much, and nothing is set in stone until you sign the "official" offer. This is a smart move from the candidate's point-of-view, but a nightmare for HR as they have to fill positions that they thought were already filled.

Why doesn't the PHAP program just be forthcoming with information about locations and assignments upfront and in the beginning with candidates --- starting with the first phone call offer? Why aren't candidate's preferred locations taken into consideration? Especially since NOT being forthcoming and NOT using preferred locations creates stress for candidates and last minute havoc for the HR dept.... (Last year a PHAP supervisor was calling a candidate to offer an assignment on a Sunday evening just a couple of weeks prior to the start of the assignment!!!)

Interesting to see how things develop over time. Good luck to all as you work your way through this difficult decision process OR period of waiting to see how the dust falls --- whatever the case may be for you.

Does anyone know how long it will be between when we send in our unofficial acceptance and when we receive our official offers?

@hopingfromAZ I have had pretty good luck with contact via email. Maybe try emailing whoever emailed you the unofficial acceptance forms? Don't know if it'll work but it might be worth a shot!

Does anyone know how long it will be between when we send in our unofficial acceptance and when we receive our official offers?

@hopingfromAZ I have had pretty good luck with contact via email. Maybe try emailing whoever emailed you the unofficial acceptance forms? Don't know if it'll work but it might be worth a shot!

The woman who contacted me emphasized it would take weeks for PHAP side of CDC to process info and then pass it onto CDC HR, no specific dates were given as to when to roughly expect HR to be finished with official offers.

That's good to know. I am also really concerned about relocating to New York, and I probably won't have time to look for an apartment before starting. It's frustrating to have chosen places that I would be willing to go to, and then get placed somewhere with a high cost of living that I am unfamiliar with! Hopefully connecting with current associates will help.

Hi Everyone!

I have been following this forum religiously since I started the PHAP application process. I received a phone call today and was offered a spot in Minneapolis, Minnesota which was (similarly to everyone else) not one of the locations I selected. I have 24 hours to accept or reject the position and I was wondering if anyone could provide some insight on the area? Also I know they said that locations are non-negotiable but are they truly non-negotiable? I'm originally from New York (Long Island) and wanted to be placed on the east coast. If anyone has any questions about New York I would be more than happy to answer them!

Hi guys! I just got a call as well. I will be placed in Montgomery, AL. Anyone know anything of the area?

Hey everyone. First time poster on here. I applied to this fellowship not realizing how competitive it was. I kind of figured it was just another job I was applying for until I started making different cutoffs and investigating further.

I was offered a position in Long Island, NY. I asked for a few days to think about it, and the woman I spoke to said I have until Monday morning to decide. It was wonderful to hear that I got it, but it puts me in a bind and I was hoping to gather some insight from you all. I was slated to begin a MPH at the university of Michigan this upcoming fall that would be completely paid for. Had I not received a scholarship, I think this decision would have been easier, but considering the gravity of free grad school, I've been going back and forth. Any one have any advice/insight/suggestions? What can this fellowship do for me that would make it worth bypassing grad school for 2 years?

Also, I really don't feel like I have an adequate amount of information to make a decision. I understand that locations are non-negotiable and what have you, but I read that pay is on a geographic distribution scale (Long Island must be on the high side), and that's a big concern for me. I'm sure more information is provided to those who accept, but for someone in my case, I would have hoped I could have that information upfront.

Anyways, I appreciate the community of support that exists here and any and all advice would be great!

Previous year PHAP who placed in Long Island, live in the city. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about living/working in NY/Long Island.

Another lurker here who just wants to share his experience.

I was really looking forward to hearing back from this program, and yesterday, I was offered a position in Kissimmee, Fl. Firstly, I'm currently living abroad, so for those who may be out of the country, you should be getting an e-mail if they are trying to reach out to you. After struggling to get a hold of them, I was eventually told my placement which was very different from what I was expecting. As a native New Yorker, I just never had a reason to learn to drive, and I do not have a car, and since I've been living abroad for a while, I never had a reason to sort that out. I was told that my site REQUIRED driving and a car, even though I blatantly stated in my preferences that I did not have either of those things. Because of the timing and being out of the country, it is basically impossible for me to sort these things out. And like everyone said, I was only given less than a day to decide.

When responding to the e-mail about the offer, I asked about the possibilities of changing sites because of this logistical situation, and they were quite terse about it. I was told that this was the position I was offered, and it definitely required a car and driver's license, and I could take it or leave it.

At this point, I am quite fed up with how the situation was handled. It tells me that whoever was in charge of the placement was clearly not considering anything that I put down. By giving me a placement that required a car and driver's license, they wasted my time because I told them about my situation. I don't know if there was anything that said that driving was required for this position, but if that were the case, I would not have applied. I just feel duped right now that I was given a placement that I could not actually fulfill, though if they took a second to look at my preferences, they could have probably placed me somewhere else that I could have actually worked.

I stressed numerous times in my correspondences that I would be extremely ecstatic to take a position in another place that has reliable public transport and that doesn't require me to drive. I feel like I got a very unapologetic response that said that they are not considering any kinds of changes whatsoever.

I'm hoping, like past applicants have said, that they could possibly reconsider me for a different position once others have declined (for instance, I would love to be in New York since I could technically move back with my parents until I was able to really get settled, and I can only imagine others would decline based on cost of living). I mentioned being reconsidered for another position, and it didn't seem like they were being accommodating. In my final correspondence just now to decline the offer, I stated yet again that I would be willing to change sites and wait until the offers were given to others. I don't know if I will get a response.

Right now, I am incredibly frustrated, and I just feel like I was put in a difficult position, and I'm now I'm disillusioned by the program and the process for being so unaccommodating. I don't think I meant for this post to be this long, but I just wanted to vent. As for others waiting for positions, mine just opened up, so if you're placed in Kissimmee, you've got me to thank! I hope you enjoy it!

Reactions: 1 users
Just got a call and I was selected for Fresno, California. Cali was def not on my list and I will be re-locating from Melbourne, Australia. Anybody know anything about the area?

I got an offer today too. Has anyone tried to change their placement? I'm not sure if I should even bother. I was so incredibly excited about this program, but the location I received was the absolutely worse place I could've gotten... not sure if I'll formally accept yet.

Hi Everyone!

I have been following this forum religiously since I started the PHAP application process. I received a phone call today and was offered a spot in Minneapolis, Minnesota which was (similarly to everyone else) not one of the locations I selected. I have 24 hours to accept or reject the position and I was wondering if anyone could provide some insight on the area? Also I know they said that locations are non-negotiable but are they truly non-negotiable? I'm originally from New York (Long Island) and wanted to be placed on the east coast. If anyone has any questions about New York I would be more than happy to answer them!

Hi,

Congratulations on your offer! I'm from the Minneapolis area. I am assuming if your placement is in Minneapolis, it may be with the Minneapolis Department of Health? Minneapolis is a great place to live, as the Twin Cities in general. It's a pretty active city, really bike friendly, lots of lakes and parks for recreational things. I think it's pretty affordable to live compared to other major cities out there. If you're thinking about where to live, Uptown/Chain of Lakes area is a nice as well as south Minneapolis, northeast Minneapolis, and around the University of Minnesota. If your placement is at the Minneapolis Dept. of Health, I believe they are located in Downtown Minneapolis. If you'll be in the downtown area I recommend using public transportation (Metro Transit)...the city has a good public transportation system and may offer discounted metro passes if you're working with the State or Local health departments. The city has a couple light rail train lines that runs from downtown Minneapolis to the airport and from DT Minneapolis to St. Paul. Parking downtown will be difficult and expensive. You may even find more affordable housing near the Univ. of Minn campus and even out into the suburbs of the twin cities. The surrounding suburbs have "park and rides" where you can leave your car and take the buses into the city. Lastly, brace yourself for the cold winters!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi,

Congratulations on your offer! I'm from the Minneapolis area. I am assuming if your placement is in Minneapolis, it may be with the Minneapolis Department of Health? Minneapolis is a great place to live, as the Twin Cities in general. It's a pretty active city, really bike friendly, lots of lakes and parks for recreational things. I think it's pretty affordable to live compared to other major cities out there. If you're thinking about where to live, Uptown/Chain of Lakes area is a nice as well as south Minneapolis, northeast Minneapolis, and around the University of Minnesota. If your placement is at the Minneapolis Dept. of Health, I believe they are located in Downtown Minneapolis. If you'll be in the downtown area I recommend using public transportation (Metro Transit)...the city has a good public transportation system and may offer discounted metro passes if you're working with the State or Local health departments. The city has a couple light rail train lines that runs from downtown Minneapolis to the airport and from DT Minneapolis to St. Paul. Parking downtown will be difficult and expensive. You may even find more affordable housing near the Univ. of Minn campus and even out into the suburbs of the twin cities. The surrounding suburbs have "park and rides" where you can leave your car and take the buses into the city. Lastly, brace yourself for the cold winters!

Thank you so much!!!!! That was incredibly helpful!!!!!!

For those of you who have accepted their offers, did you guys get a confirmation that your forms were received? I sent mine yesterday night and just wanted to make sure they don't email back to confirm. Thanks!