2014 PHAP application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For everyone who is feeling discouraged I am from Atlanta and I received a call around 11:45 am EST and got an offer for Raleigh NC. It was also one of my location preferences. Words of Encouragement.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
2013 PHAP Associate here. Some clarification for those of you placed in and around NYC.

If you were notified that you were placed in Long Island City, you were likely placed at the NYC DOH in Long Island City, Queens. If you were notified that you were placed in Long Island, you were likely placed at the Nassau County DOH or Suffolk County DOH. There are no 2013 PHAP Associates in Suffolk County, so it is most likely that you were placed in the Nassau County DOH.

There are many associates at the NYC DOH, and four of us (including me) at the Nassau County DOH. All of us in Nassau County live in NYC and commute out to Mineola, NY, which can be done via the Long Island Railroad or buses. I need a car for my job, but I leave it at the health department. Please message if you have any questions.

I have friends in Atlanta who live in Post Lindbergh. It's a great location right next to MARTA, which you can take to work. I would also suggest the North Druid Hills area (Near Emory). North Druid Hills is an in town neighborhood that is more affordable than the popular Virginia Highlands and Buckhead. However, you have easy access to the Highlands and Buckhead, where lots of young professionals live, shop and go out at night. Inman Park and Candler Park have been "up and coming area" for a long time. I have a friend who lives there and loves it but just make sure you check it out in advance and that it is a safe area. Those neighborhoods are much closer to downtown. If you want to live more in the suburbs Sandy Springs or Perimeter would be good choices. They are near MARTA stops have good shopping and eating. Those suburbs probably have the most young professionals and would be more affordable than living in-town. In case you aren't familiar if you live inside 285 perimeter highway you actually live in Atlanta. Outside of 285 is the suburbs. You have plenty of places to choose from! Check out Sloan Square apartments maybe to start!

I'm also from Atlanta and would have loved to have been placed there. Enjoy the city!
thanks so much i really appericate it :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

I was offered a position in Tallahassee, Florida, yesterday. Has anyone else been offered a position there? Is anyone familiar with the area and can recommend possible housing options. I am really excited!

Also, I was born and raised in Atlanta so if anyone needs advice about housing, etc., I am happy to assist.

Hi all- Congrats to everyone on their offers!
Late and first post, but I was offered a position in Portland, Oregon! I have never ever lived outside of CA before so I'm definitely cautious about accepting the offer.. so any words of advice on the location/living expenses/social life would help!

I am currently living in SF but was born and raised in LA so if anyone needs help, feel free to message me :)

Reactions: 2 users
I finally received a call! I have have 24 hours to decide whether to accept an offer to Jefferson City Missouri. Does anyone have any insight to the area or to where the host site might be? I looked on the map and they have not had anyone placed since 2012. I would be grateful for any help!

Long Time Reader here. This thread has been really helpful.

Congrats to everyone. I accepted a position in Baltimore, Maryland and I have been researching it for some days now with the limited information that I was given. While I do not have an official offer letter yet from HR, the PHAP/CDC placement map showed that most of the past fellows were placed at the Baltimore City Health Department. Any information on housing in the area or even outside of the city would be really appreciated. Everything is looking really expensive now and I know the salary from this program is only entry level.

Any advice, insight on housing and the city will be appreciated. I'm from Florida so I know the weather in Maryland will be a lot different so if anyone can tell me what to expect or just give me an idea, that would be great. Thanks!

Late and first post, but I was offered a position in Portland, Oregon! I have never ever lived outside of CA before so I'm definitely cautious about accepting the offer.. so any words of advice on the location/living expenses/social life would help!

I am currently living in SF but was born and raised in LA so if anyone needs help, feel free to message me :)

Only visited Portland in late March and have nooo idea where the Health Dept is. But, I can say that it's really nice in downtown Portland. I saw their version of Muni (SF) and it was on a good schedule. My bf & I were exploring on foot and it wasn't bad. It also rained hard when we were there but we didn't mind.
I hope I can be more of help... Feel free to send me a private message if you think of anything even though I cannot be any help in regards with your host assignment. :)

Reactions: 1 user
hey . Praise go up to the Lord himself !!!!! I got a call !! Im going to, Denver Colorado. Ha the funny thing is I was just complaining about the winters in Philly which made me apply to nothing but hot places ,now Im in Denver. Will someone enlighten me about this place :) I cant wait to get here . GOD is GOOOD. GO nuggets , broncos, rockies !!!!

Reactions: 6 users
Hello all!

Question:

For those of you that have already been extended an offer. Has your status changed on the official Phap CDC website (where you logged in turn do essay and location preference) to "selected"?

This site
https://fms.cdc.gov/Legacy/Application/PHAP/HomePage.aspx
I have been selected today and no my status has not changed. I don't think they update it. Roughly 2 weeks after I had my phone interview my status changed saying I was selected for an interview so I dont think they keep up with it.

HowardGirl TExas Lady: Good news! You will not probably not have an hour’s commute! The city of Portland is divided by a river, east and west side. Bordering Portland are several cities and suburbs (on east and west side) such as Milwaukie on the east side and Hillsboro on the west side. I would avoid downtown Portland located on the west side (near the bridges, river, OHSU) because though it is not a super large area, it is expensive, and traffic is bad. Some of the highways that you would take from Portland/near Portland areas to Hillsboro can become really slow during rush hours. Hillsboro is on west side, downtown Portland side, about 20-30 minutes from downtown via freeway if you have good traffic. I would advise to try and find a place in Hillsboro, maybe look on craigslist? Or if not Hillsboro another nearby area. Hillboro is a nice size city, its like the suburbs with costco and store really close. The area is up and growing because large companies like intel are located out there, so the area is newly developed.

When is snows in the portland area, everyone is super excited then the snow sticks (not very often) and schools close, many companies close, and the world shuts down because many people are not used to the snow, or used to driving in it. This year we had 1-4 inches of snow, but on most years almost not enough to cover the ground, doesnt stick, and is usually under 4 inches. If you like snow, go to mount hood for recreation snow sports, lots of fun!

Do you know where you will be working?

To 11190lh:

Thanks for all the info!! I will definitely look at places in Hillsboro more so than Portland. It seems to be cheaper anyways, so that is great! I am glad to know that the commute won't be too bad if I decide to go into the "city". And thanks for the tip about Mount Hood!

Unfortunately I do not know where I will be placed yet. Hopefully we find out soon :-/

I just got a call today! Placed in Marietta, GA. Thanks to the other posters who have offered advice about the Atlanta area, if anyone else is placed in Marietta or Atlanta area contact me! :)

Another follower...

I was just offered a position in New Orleans! I am not sure if I'll accept or not at this point because my other option is to do the Peace Corps in Asia and that's been a dream of mine for quite some time- two totally different worlds and both are great opportunities. I'm really torn about what to do.

Any thoughts/advice?!
That's a hard one. is your gut saying one thing or another?

If not - and not knowing what all your motivations are - I'd go for Asia. Going abroad is a huge commitment and if you're at a stage in life where there's nothing holding you here (debt, relationships, job), you should go. All those other things - debt, relationships, job - can keep you in the US for the rest of your working life.
And if you are untied to jobs, relatioinships and loans, you'll have freedom to travel after your Peace Corps time.

Also, I imagine Peace Corps experience will add to your resume in a good way if you wanted to apply PHAP in a couple of years.
I have no idea what PHAP exp does to Peace Corps.

Lucky you having choices.
Do you have to commit to Peace Corps soon?

Members don't see this ad :)

Hello, congrats on your offer! My iffer is in LA, I've never been to Cali before any ideas or suggestions on housing and surviving on the salary in LA will help. I know I want to live in "central la" due to the commute and the fact I'll need my car for work but what are the safe zones within that area?

Hi! I was asked to do a timeline of when I got my acceptance call to when I started at my host site. Be warned, this will be different than yours! But here goes:

June 11: Got a call to see if I wanted placement in Phoenix, AZ. I accepted.
June 14: Got an email to accept position on application system.
June 26: Request for Background Check/Fingerprinting.
June 27: First PHAP Informational Email.
July 12: Information on Host Site Sent.
July 16: Onboarding Invitation Sent.
July 21: All notarized papers turned in.
July 22: Received Official Offer.
July 27: Drove from CA to AZ.
July 29: First day in Arizona!

I realize it is very stressful to wait for your official offer letter, but I didn't get mine until about a week before I started at my host site. Hopefully this year they give you more time! If you have any more questions let me know!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi! I was asked to do a timeline of when I got my acceptance call to when I started at my host site. Be warned, this will be different than yours! But here goes:

I realize it is very stressful to wait for your official offer letter, but I didn't get mine until about a week before I started at my host site. Hopefully this year they give you more time! If you have any more questions let me know!
Thanks for this info! What did you do for housing since you got your official offer so late?

Greetings from Phoenix! I'm yet another 2013 PHAP creeping on the site (hi Kiwi1989 and Kiwi1989's roomate!!!).

We are so happy to have you would definitely be up to to sharing our housing experiences and opinions. Do you know if you are at the state office or with a county health dept.?

Hey Pfft-
Thanks for responding! I haven't received my official offer yet so I don't know if I'll be at the state or county office. When I get my assignment, I hope you don't mind if I pick your brain about housing and the PHAP workplace. Our start date is Oct 6 so I guess I have a little time to prepare.
Have a great week!

Hey guys, for those of you who received initial offers via email, around what time did you get the emails? I am still waiting on an offer while also backpacking Europe so I want to make sure I stay connected and don't miss response deadlines... Thanks!!

Thanks for this info! What did you do for housing since you got your official offer so late?

I looked on craigslist and found a guy that would do month-to-month rent until I found a permanent place. This is not a good idea, as I lived in a straight up hood with a curfew and wild dogs. All part of the experience though!

Anyway, I would recommend talking to other PHAPs in the area to recommend good neighborhoods, and look on apartment finders so you can do virtual tours before you move in. I know some people did a week in a hotel so they could find a better apartment. You all should have much more time to find apartments though so I wouldn't worry too much about it! It will all work out in the end. :)

Thank you for your input! :)

Hello, congrats on your offer! My iffer is in LA, I've never been to Cali before any ideas or suggestions on housing and surviving on the salary in LA will help. I know I want to live in "central la" due to the commute and the fact I'll need my car for work but what are the safe zones within that area?

I'm not sure on this, but my interviewer was letting me know that for those who are living in areas like NYC or LA where expenses are high, they are given a bit of a living stipend. That was what he said to me so I'm not sure if that message was mentioned to anyone else.

I'm not sure on this, but my interviewer was letting me know that for those who are living in areas like NYC or LA where expenses are high, they are given a bit of a living stipend. That was what he said to me so I'm not sure if that message was mentioned to anyone else.

San Francisco is a pretty expensive place to live as well. No living stipend or relocation reimbursement.
http://www.cdc.gov/phap/become_associate/faqs.html --> scroll down and see the box which says "Parties Responsible for Travel Expenses".

San Francisco is a pretty expensive place to live as well. No living stipend or relocation reimbursement.
http://www.cdc.gov/phap/become_associate/faqs.html --> scroll down and see the box which says "Parties Responsible for Travel Expenses".

Federal salaries are somewhat adjusted for cost of living. People living in NYC, LA, Boston, or San Francisco, for example, make more than people living in Oklahoma. I believe the NYC salary is about $4-5,000 more/year than the base salary in cheaper areas.

For more expensive locations pay will be adjusted. We are all gs-5 level step 1 but if your host site is listed on this site below then your pay is different than the base level. If your state or area is not on the list then you will be paid the standard gs-5 level. I confirmed this with the person who gave me the offer.

http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/pay-leave/salaries-wages/2012/general-schedule/

Federal salaries are somewhat adjusted for cost of living. People living in NYC, LA, Boston, or San Francisco, for example, make more than people living in Oklahoma. I believe the NYC salary is about $4-5,000 more/year than the base salary in cheaper areas.

Agree! If you're someone who doesn't have a lot of credit card debts or student loans, you can save more money. :)

For more expensive locations pay will be adjusted. We are all gs-5 level step 1 but if your host site is listed on this site below then your pay is different than the base level. If your state or area is not on the list then you will be paid the standard gs-5 level. I confirmed this with the person who gave me the offer.

http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/pay-leave/salaries-wages/2012/general-schedule/
Hey does the listed rate include the adjustment? That's what I've been assuming. If that is the case it's well below average for cities like NYC, San Fran, and LA and saving may not be realistic after the living and work expenses(vehicle requirement). Surviving will be the main goal lol. I'm still going for it, wishing all the major city people the best!! We'll definitely need it

The person who called me said there is a slight pay increase for 2014 so she said to be sure to look at the 2014 GS pay table to get an idea of the salary.

Congrats to everyone as the offers keep rolling in. Very exciting! Just wanted to put it out there that if anyone who was assigned to Houston is looking for a roommate and/or has young friends (low 20's) living/moving to Houston that are looking for a roommate, please let me know! Thanks :)

Hey does the listed rate include the adjustment? That's what I've been assuming. If that is the case it's well below average for cities like NYC, San Fran, and LA and saving may not be realistic after the living and work expenses(vehicle requirement). Surviving will be the main goal lol. I'm still going for it, wishing all the major city people the best!! We'll definitely need it

Here's the most up to date list: http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/pay-leave/salaries-wages/2014/general-schedule/

The listed rate under each locality includes the adjustment. If your location isn't listed, you're under the general base schedule at the top.

Anybody else placed in Jamaica Plain, MA or near Boston???

I think it is actually the "Rest of United States" at the bottom, for those not in the locality tables.
Ah, yes. Good catch, thanks.

Hello everyone! Can anyone currently in the PHAP program give a little bit of information about what the daily workload is like? I'd love to get a sense of what life will be like on a daily basis. Thanks!

Eagerly awaiting my official offer letter….

Thanks for the detailed timeline.

It's funny you received your official letter a week before your start date. I don't know about the others but the lady that offered me the placement specifically warned me not to make any housing accomodations and/or committment until I receive my official offer letter. That timeline isn't feasible especially for those of us that are not familiar with the location.

I'm proactively making plans to visit the city in order to get a feel for the area and figure out a good neigbourhood to live. This offer letter is what's holding me back.

Tried reaching HR at 404 498 0030 but ended up reaching a poor girl that was just trying to get some sleep. lol. Has anyone successfully being able to talk to someone in the HR department?

Try calling the HR office at 770-488-1725

It's funny you received your official letter a week before your start date. I don't know about the others but the lady that offered me the placement specifically warned me not to make any housing accomodations and/or committment until I receive my official offer letter. That timeline isn't feasible especially for those of us that are not familiar with the location.

I'm proactively making plans to visit the city in order to get a feel for the area and figure out a good neigbourhood to live. This offer letter is what's holding me back.

Tried reaching HR at 404 498 0030 but ended up reaching a poor girl that was just trying to get some sleep. lol. Has anyone successfully being able to talk to someone in the HR department?

Please let us know what HR says! I am waiting just as anxiously because I am moving kinda far from where I am from too and I want to figure out as much as I can before I get there! :)

Hello All,

I've been following the forum during this application process too. I was recently offered a placement in Auburn, California which is considered greater Sacramento. Can anyone offer advice about moving, tips, or the area in general? I've never been to Cali before. Thanks!

I am a current 2013 PHAP placed in Reno,NV ( I am only about 2 hours or less from Auburn /Sacramento area and I know the Sac area well) I would be happy to answer any questions through email. Let me know.

Did anyone who applied, but has not posted, get an offer for Reno, NV. If you did let me know. My host site applied for some more associates and I would be happy to give you information to support your decision.

Try calling the HR office at 770-488-1725

Thanks for the number.

I just got off the phone with someone in HR and she said "I heard offer letters will be sent before the end of July." #keepingmyfingerscrossed

Hi all, I just found this forum. I was told that offers would go out mid-July, so I wasn't sweating it until I found this forum and saw offers started going out in the beginning of July. Congratulations to all those that were selected! Does anyone know if offers are still going out or have all initial offers been made?

Hi all, I just found this forum. I was told that offers would go out mid-July, so I wasn't sweating it until I found this forum and saw offers started going out in the beginning of July. Congratulations to all those that were selected! Does anyone know if offers are still going out or have all initial offers been made?

Hello Everybody:

I was just offered on Thursday evening an offer at Hillsboro, Oregon. I know there was another member offered a position at Hillsboro, Oregon as well. I was wondering if anybody could advise on housing issues. Having been in Idaho for some years now, I have been used to low prices on housing rentals. Checking craigslist makes me think that Hillsboro is pricier compared to Idaho. Would Portland be a better option compared to Hillsboro in housing prices? I have heard that traffic is not so good in Portland compared to Hillsboro. The weather seems to be absolutely beautiful in Hillsboro.

Hello everyone! Can anyone currently in the PHAP program give a little bit of information about what the daily workload is like? I'd love to get a sense of what life will be like on a daily basis. Thanks!

Eagerly awaiting my official offer letter….

Hi! It really depends on your host site and your focus area. Everyone's experience is so vastly different! Some people have had a super light workload (mostly first time host sites who don't know what PHAPs are capable of), and others have been constantly busy. For me, it fluctuates as mine is project based instead of mandatory daily work activities. The best advice I can give anyone is to be flexible, take initiative, and ask for opportunities for professional development!

Hey all. Do former PHAP's or PHAP's who are finishing up their first year have better insight into job opportunities post-fellowship? Does a pipeline exist at all?

Reactions: 3 users
Hey all. Do former PHAP's or PHAP's who are finishing up their first year have better insight into job opportunities post-fellowship? Does a pipeline exist at all?

The short answer is, no. As of today 2013 associates are unclear about the job opportunities post PHAP.
Prior to 2013, PHAP cohorts were hired through the hiring authority title 42. Those associate had to work for an additional three years after PHAP in practicum positions before being able to apply for internal, permanent positions – PHAP facilitated that process.
The 2013 & 2014 cohorts are hired under Title 5, which means that after our two years with PHAP we can apply for internal, permanent positions within CDC or any other government agency. Thus, by the nature of our hiring status we are in a pipeline opportunity; however, current Associates haven't been made privy of the hiring/ search process under this new structure, but we should have more insight in the upcoming months.

I've heard nothing at all, so i think I'm out. Unless someone here can give me some hope - does anyone know (i) if you declined your own offer, do you know whether it was immediately offfered to next person on list, or are all the open slots left until after a first round of offers, and (ii) do people who decline get included in any second round. So if someone was offered, say, Denver and declined. Could that person be on the list for another assignment later.
i'm just trying to do some kind of (unscientific) calculation of a later offer coming in. And the number of peolpe still available for those assignments.

I've heard nothing at all, so i think I'm out. Unless someone here can give me some hope - does anyone know (i) if you declined your own offer, do you know whether it was immediately offfered to next person on list, or are all the open slots left until after a first round of offers, and (ii) do people who decline get included in any second round. So if someone was offered, say, Denver and declined. Could that person be on the list for another assignment later.
i'm just trying to do some kind of (unscientific) calculation of a later offer coming in. And the number of peolpe still available for those assignments.
Shahshah, I am in the same boat. I am trying to be realistic but can't help but feel hopeful. I am crushed that I was not offered a position, as I thought my interview went really well. Any thoughts or insights to those that have offers, or 2013 applicants would be appreciated.

Hi All,

I am trying to figure what what benefits PHAPers receive and trying to navigate all the government documents that CDC provides is proving to be a bit confusing. Does anyone know the following from talking to HR...
- Does travel compensation include commuting to work site on daily basis? Or traveling within one's placed area for work-purposes (i.e. driving to a work meeting off-site?)
- Does anyone know the allotted vacation days that we would receive? My family is in the process of trying to plan an international trip within the next year so I am trying to figure out if that is even a possibility for me to attend anymore.

Thanks in advance :)

Hi All,

I am trying to figure what what benefits PHAPers receive and trying to navigate all the government documents that CDC provides is proving to be a bit confusing. Does anyone know the following from talking to HR...
- Does travel compensation include commuting to work site on daily basis? Or traveling within one's placed area for work-purposes (i.e. driving to a work meeting off-site?)
- Does anyone know the allotted vacation days that we would receive? My family is in the process of trying to plan an international trip within the next year so I am trying to figure out if that is even a possibility for me to attend anymore.

Thanks in advance :)

There are commuter benefits if you use public transportation, but it is not travel compensation. Travel compensation is "earned time," usually the only way to receive it is travel time to CDC-sponsored events outside your normal working hours. Your host site must coordinate repayment of mileage you accrue for traveling to meetings off-site. Your CDC supervisor will be able to advise you further, and for any exceptions to this. Generally, you pay for your own transportation to/from work just like any other job.

You also receive 4 hours of sick leave and 4 hours of vacation time each paycheck (every two weeks). I hope this helps!