2014 post-certification deadline rank list thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Last year was an odd year--first year of "All in", no pre-matches--so I think lots of people hedged their bets a bit more. Perhaps swinging back to "normal" now?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Last year was an odd year--first year of "All in", no pre-matches--so I think lots of people hedged their bets a bit more. Perhaps swinging back to "normal" now?

Excellent point that makes as much sense as anything to explain the pendulum swing back towards the mean.

Even though I am loathe to post my own list (neurotic privacy concerns), I ranked all 12 places I interviewed at, putting me at the top end of the 8 to 12 range. Perhaps I should wait until the Match puts me in the clear to make any declarations, but my feeling now is that I could have interviewed at say 2 or 3 fewer programs, and from that I could have ranked say 8 programs and been safe from getting SOAPed.

But we will see, right? Right now, I am glad I have 12 on my ROL; I feel like I am as close to 100 percent as anyone can reasonably hope to be at this stage in this process.

Last edited:
My list-couple matching so picked the locations that works the best for us. Interviewed at other places too but only ranked these

1. Stanford - research track
2. Stanford - general track
3. UCSD - research track
4. UCSD - general track
5. Northwestern
6. U Minnesota
7. Columbia - research track
8. Columbia - general track

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have strong ties to the mid-atlantic, so my list was formed by proximity to my ties (or ease of flying back to visit my ties) without sacrificing program quality or attractiveness of locale (e.g. I'd prefer DC over Charlottesville, Boston over Atlanta, etc).

1) UMD / Shepherd Pratt
2) GW
3) UNC
4) Duke
5) VCU
6) Georgetown
7) UVA
8) Tufts
9) MUSC
10) Virginia Tech Carilion
11) Emory
12) Ohio State
13) St. Elizabeth's (DC)
14) Thomas Jefferson
15) Wake Forest

I ranked everywhere I interviewed. I cancelled interviews at the following places after having scheduled enough others, running out of funding, inclement weather, or burning out towards the end of the interview trail:

Brown
Cincinnati
Indiana
USC-Palmetto
UMDNJ
ECU
Louisville

Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Interesting to see the spread. So far a good number of Yale's for #1.!

Yes! I'm not sure if I should be excited (for so many wonderful potential future co-residents) or be worried. HA!

Finalized!

1) Longwood
2) Stanford
3) UCSF
4) MGH
5) UCLA - Semel

Hope everything works out and you join us up at Longwood next year! Congrats on finalizing!

Ditto for shinystar!

Reactions: 1 user
1) Sinai
2) Yale
3) WPIC
4) Duke
5) UMich
6) UIC
7) BIMC
8) UChicago

Good luck everyone :)

1. Beth Israel
2.Brown
3. Einstein Monte
4. SLR
5. LIJ

Last edited:
It was a relatively long season for me. I ended up attending 24 interviews. I also ranked all 24 but I am posting only 23 here because some people know who I am and I do not want to reveal where I have placed my home program. Why did I do so many interviews? I do not know. Would I do it again if I have to? NFW.

Columbia
NYU
UMich
MUSC
UNC
Northwestern
UIC
UPenn
Yale
Emory
Duke
Iowa
Colorado
Utah
Cleveland Clinic
UW-Madison
Ohio State
UTSW
Case Western
Baylor
MCW
UMD/SP
OHSU

Cancelled: Mayo, Temple, SUNY
Could Not Attend: MSSM, WPIC
Rejections: MGH, UCLA, Cornell

You da man!

When was your first interview, and your last? How often did you do 2 in a week? Ever do 3?

Mad props to you...I thought I was going to die doing 12 interviews, even though I spread them out from late October to late January. I did 2 interviews within a week twice, and 3 within 8 days once, and that is just plain foolish, especially if it involves significant travel between them. I honestly can't fathom doing 24 interviews spread around the country.

You da man!

When was your first interview, and your last? How often did you do 2 in a week? Ever do 3?

Mad props to you...I thought I was going to die doing 12 interviews, even though I spread them out from late October to late January. I did 2 interviews within a week twice, and 3 within 8 days once, and that is just plain foolish, especially if it involves significant travel between them. I honestly can't fathom doing 24 interviews spread around the country.

It was actually quite foolish of me to compulsively want to attend almost everything that came my way. It was probably understandable early on in the season when we do not know where we stand or how many invites we are going to eventually get, but I kept it up until the first week of February when I had my last interview. Yeah, I did not know programs interviewed that late either. Apparently some anesthesia / EM programs interview until mid February! :eek: Anyway, my first interview was in the first week of October. I had a pretty flexible schedule at school so that helped.

Yeah I had those three interviews in a week thrice I think - at least twice for sure. I specifically remember having four interviews spaced out this way just before the Christmas break: Friday-Monday-Tuesday-Friday. Needless to say, I enjoyed the holiday that followed like never before. Luckily, I have a wonderful friend who was wise enough to not go to medical school and kind enough to drive me to some of the places where I had scheduled interviews close to one another. We had lots of fun on those long trips and that definitely helped take out some stress from this process. There is no way I would have managed to do this on my own.

In the end, I would say that it was definitely very wise of you to pick and choose 12 interviews to go to. I am sure going on as many as I went to took a toll on my interview performance even if I did not realize it. I tried to keep things interesting by compiling extensive notes on programs and discussing that with friends, but even that got old pretty soon. Anyway, I have enjoyed reading your posts here these past few months, so I hope you will come back to post after you begin your residency like I remember you mentioning somewhere. Hopefully I will be too. Good luck with the match!

Reactions: 3 users
Just curious, is this in order? Congrats on going to so many.. No wonder your reviews were on par for a lot of programs!

It was a relatively long season for me. I ended up attending 24 interviews. I also ranked all 24 but I am posting only 23 here because some people know who I am and I do not want to reveal where I have placed my home program. Why did I do so many interviews? I do not know. Would I do it again if I have to? NFW.

Columbia
NYU
UMich
MUSC
UNC
Northwestern
UIC
UPenn
Yale
Emory
Duke
Iowa
Colorado
Utah
Cleveland Clinic
UW-Madison
Ohio State
UTSW
Case Western
Baylor
MCW
UMD/SP
OHSU

Just curious, is this in order? Congrats on going to so many.. No wonder your reviews were on par for a lot of programs!

Yes it is, except for the one program I left out that inserts somewhere on that list.:) Sorry I did not number them - could not figure out how to do that meaningfully with one program missing from the mix. By the way, I like how your list had turned out in the end too. Good luck for next month!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Here's mine. Hoping 13 isn't as unlucky a number for me as they say it is!

1. CHA
2. AE-Bronx
3. NS-LIJ
4. MUSC
5. UNC
6. Hopkins
7. SLR
8. BIMC
9. Emory
10. Iowa
11. Utah
12. Maryland
13. Upstate

Reactions: 3 users
Here's mine. Hoping 13 isn't as unlucky a number for me as they say it is!

1. CHA
2. AE-Bronx
3. NS-LIJ
4. MUSC
5. UNC
6. Hopkins
7. SLR
8. BIMC
9. Emory
10. Iowa
11. Utah
12. Maryland
13. Upstate

That's a really diverse list. Cambridge seems like a fantastic program. I'm happy to see so much love for AE-Bronx on this thread--it's cool to see a program overcome a slightly less competitive location compared to its neighbors by offering residents something truly special.

I realize the sample is quite small, but one thing that jumps out on these lists is the disdain for OHSU. A quick count shows 3 lists with it in dead last, and the best relative ranking it mustered was #10 on another list.

The reason it jumps out to me or anyone who has been around this place for a while is that a few years ago, OHSU rode high on the top of a bunch of lists. Fair to say it was one the most popular programs in the country among SDNers not that long ago.

Doctor Bagel: Call your office...

That's a really diverse list. Cambridge seems like a fantastic program. I'm happy to see so much love for AE-Bronx on this thread--it's cool to see a program overcome a slightly less competitive location compared to its neighbors by offering residents something truly special.

Cambridge is in fact a reach for me. Received the invite very late in the season, etc. Applied there only because of my strong interest in psychotherapy as I'd never wanted to live in Boston/Cambridge but I fell in love with the program after the interview. I'll most likely match at my #2-#5 though.

Hi, 1st time poster. Thanks for all the info others have put forth over the past year. It certainly informed my process, especially where to apply.

1. UMich
2. Wash U
3. Indiana
4. Wisconsin - Madison
5. Iowa
6. Cincinnati
7. Ohio state
8. Saint Louis U

Good luck everybody!

Cambridge is in fact a reach for me. Received the invite very late in the season, etc. Applied there only because of my strong interest in psychotherapy as I'd never wanted to live in Boston/Cambridge but I fell in love with the program after the interview. I'll most likely match at my #2-#5 though.

Best of luck. I'm sure thy have a lot of top applicants who will go to the other top academic programs in the country. And who knows, maybe they really like you. With your list I'm sure you're no slouch yourself.

Best of luck. I'm sure thy have a lot of top applicants who will go to the other top academic programs in the country. And who knows, maybe they really like you. With your list I'm sure you're no slouch yourself.

I'll buy you a beer if that happens man! Your favorite Founders!

Here's my list...

1) Iowa
2) Wisconsin
3) Northwestern
4) Rush
5) UIC
6) MCW
7) Indiana
8) Hopkins
9) Yale
10) UF
11) Vanderbilt
12) Emory

It was real tough deciding. All came down to location and family. My partner and I wanted to be less than five hours apart by car, but we kind of wanted to be out of Chicago (hometown) for a change of pace. Also, job prospects for my spouse after graduating was a strong deciding factor. I really tossed and turned about the bottom five on my list, but in the end, family was the number one reason why my list is as it is.

Reactions: 5 users
I realize the sample is quite small, but one thing that jumps out on these lists is the disdain for OHSU. A quick count shows 3 lists with it in dead last, and the best relative ranking it mustered was #10 on another list.

The reason it jumps out to me or anyone who has been around this place for a while is that a few years ago, OHSU rode high on the top of a bunch of lists. Fair to say it was one the most popular programs in the country among SDNers not that long ago.

Doctor Bagel: Call your office...

This has been a tough year for OHSU on SDN, and I have no clue what that'll mean for recruiting. We've had a lot of solid applicants, and hopefully 8 of them will want to be here. I won't be here, so I guess it has no real impact on me either way.

I do wonder if the current bad press shows some suggestibility at SDN. I also imagine the hype around OHSU several years ago reflected the same thing.

Anyway, I hope that the program you pick matches your expectations of it.

My list:

1. USC/Palmetto
2. UNC
3. MUSC
4. Utah
5. Arkansas
6. Brown
7. Northwestern
8. UVA
9. Cambridge
10. Maryland
11. Georgetown
12. San Mateo

Top things I was looking for in a program:
-Solid training in a happy environment with nice people
-Strong psychotherapy training
-Exposure to a wide variety of subspecialties, especially child and eating disorders
-Balanced lifestyle
-Location preference would be a medium sized warmish city, first choice being close to family in the Carolinas

Congratulations and best of luck to everyone!

Columbia
NYU
UMich
MUSC
UNC
Northwestern
UIC
UPenn
Yale
Emory
Duke
Iowa
Colorado
Utah
Cleveland Clinic
UW-Madison
Ohio State
UTSW
Case Western
Baylor
MCW
UMD/SP
OHSU

Damn, I think 24 is an SDN record for psychiatry. I'm impressed by your stamina.

This has been a tough year for OHSU on SDN, and I have no clue what that'll mean for recruiting. We've had a lot of solid applicants, and hopefully 8 of them will want to be here.
I wouldn't sweat it too much. OHSU has the advantage that a lot of our California program has: its primary role is to recruit psychiatrists interested in serving the state. OHSU can take a beating on SDN, but you're mostly going to eliminate the "Score! I love Portlandia AND craft brewing!" set. People who have a more significant passion for coming to or staying in Oregon to serve the state will keep doing so.

And I think the only people that really value the consensus on SDN is heavy users of SDN, which is a small fraction of applicants. In the world at large, OHSU still has a strong reputation, at least where I'm at, a state away.

Reactions: 5 users
In case someone else has already posted their list, a few of us in the house share this account on the living room computer. Anyway, here is my list. Top things I was looking for mostly were good work hours, resident retention, decent internet speed and food.

1. Louisville
2. Ohio
3. Reno
4. Pine Rest
5. Las Vegas
6. JPS

I couldn't find much wrong with 1 and 2. Reno is 3 because the food scene is pretty limited but I liked the PD and the program seems to be a good fit for me. Pine Rest seemed ok but it is cold and you have to do OMM. Las Vegas is near bottom d/t scary stories everyone who rotated there is telling me. JPS at #6 because you have to testify 6 q wk x 4 yrs, 20-30 patients/notes per day, bad traffic, and very limited opportunities/amount of time for electives. F that.

Never heard of JPS or Pine Rest. They sound awful.

Here's my list. Keep in mind that I am couples matching so odd things like MUSC being super low doesn't necessarily reflect my feelings about the program. Also I am leaving out my home program from my list.

1) UNC
2) Duke
3) UAB
4) UTSW
5) Emory
6) Penn
7) Vanderbilt
8) UVA
9) New Mexico
10) UT Houston
11) Baylor
12) MUSC
13) Maryland Sheppard Pratt
14) UTHSCSA

It's been fun reading everyone's rank list, and interesting to note how some programs do. I hope everyone is happy with their match when it comes. Cheers.

Psychdelicious, very curious as to why you ultimately decided to rank Colorado over Utah over Cleveland Clinic. Care to share?

anybody interview at Kaweah Dealta in Visalia, California? How did you guys rank the program?? thanks!

anybody interview at Kaweah Dealta in Visalia, California? How did you guys rank the program?? thanks!

IIRC there is a current review on that program - search for it.

IIRC there is a current review on that program - search for it.
thanks I read the review, was wondering how people ranked the program that interviewed there?

Here’s my list, minus my home program. My list was strongly influenced by proximity to my husband’s job and my family. I was really impressed with UVM and I would have loved to be able to rank it higher!

1. Einstein Monte
2. Institute of Living/Hartford Hospital
3. NS-LIJ
4. Beth Israel
5. SLR
6. UCONN
7. UVM
8. Dartmouth
9. Albany
10. SUNY Downstate

Good luck everyone!!!

I think that I have beat even outliers for least amount of interviews. I applied to one program, interviewed at one program, and ranked one program. I don't believe in fate but I seem to make decisions like I do. Not recommending it, but I think it will work out in this case. It was an easy interview season!

thanks I read the review, was wondering how people ranked the program that interviewed there?
I didn't interview there, but one of my friends is ranking it 2nd, ahead of his other CA programs UCLA Harbor and USC.

I didn't interview there, but one of my friends is ranking it 2nd, ahead of his other CA programs UCLA Harbor and USC.
Wow. I'd be VERY curious about his logic there. Very interesting.

I think that I have beat even outliers for least amount of interviews. I applied to one program, interviewed at one program, and ranked one program. I don't believe in fate but I seem to make decisions like I do. Not recommending it, but I think it will work out in this case. It was an easy interview season!

I would love for you to expand on this. Why did you only interview at one place? Was it a family situation? Or lack of money for travel? I know that my interview season cost a lot of money, and I wish I had cut back on at least a few interviews - would rather have that money back with an upcoming move to a residency program in June...

Why not apply to other programs, whether you interview at them or not? It could have given you some gauge of your competitiveness, at least.

If you don't match, what are your plans?

Edit: Looking at your post history, you have some unusual circumstances, like taking off 5 years since graduating from med school. So is this a case of only one program would work out for you due to family issues? If so, spelling out that context would be helpful for anyone reading this thread in the future, lest they get the idea that interviewing at one program is a good idea for more typical applicants.

Last edited:

Context and reasoning do matter, so it would help to know more.

My guess: family issue (married with children, couples match / spouse job, sick parent), cost of living concern, or perception of how hard he would work at the bigger name places.

Also people may have zero interest in academic medicine, or research opps, or whatever is available at a bigger name institution.

Last edited:

Yes, it's very interesting to see where everyone's priorities lie. I dunno if there's any more to it, but he said he was really burnt out after his subi at Harbor. I think Visalia is more laid back and he mentioned cheap living and free medical care for the entire family.

his logic is probably much less interesting/unusual than you suspect it is...... The reality is that insurances don't pay you more money for going to UCLA than some unknown community program. Non-academic hospitals for the most part just don't care. The advantages for most people of going to a bigname program instead of some unknown community type program are pretty nil, so people are often going to look at other things. For a small number of people interested in certain things, i suppose it matters. Most people aren't in that group.

Never heard of JPS or Pine Rest. They sound awful.
Not sure what JPS is.
Pine Rest isn't "awful"--but the poster mentioned it being cold and osteopathically oriented as negatives for them. It is a private-ish hospital in Grand Rapids, MI, which isn't for everyone, as western MI is pretty conservative, kind of a Dutch Reformed Bible Belt of sorts. And (especially this year) subject to the dreaded Lake Effect snow. But summers are nice...gorgeous country. I do know a couple of staff there, and they're good psychiatrists and nice people.

Reactions: 4 users
Agreed. My buddies who interviewed Kaweah Delta said that they were ranking it towards the bottom, because they were less than impressed with the interview model that they had (apparently, it had come off as a bit pretentious). Also from what I understand, it's a brand new program that's in a less than ideal location, and the program director that also started up the program resigned recently due to an illness (right before the match list went in).

It's not my intention to sabotage them by any means, and I wish them the best of luck as it sounds like they were struck by series of unfortunate circumstances. Just wanted to present the other end of the spectrum in regards to program impressions: you can never be sure of what people say on SDN and everything should be taken with a grain of salt. This has been reiterated numerous times, and this holds true for my post as well as any other reviews/impressions.

Last edited:
Agreed. My buddies who interviewed there said that they were ranking it towards the bottom, because they were less than impressed with the interview model that they had (apparently, it had come off as a bit pretentious). Also from what I understand, it's a brand new program that's in a less than ideal location, and the program director that also started up the program resigned recently due to an illness (right before the match list went in).

It's not my intention to sabotage them by any means, and I wish them the best of luck as it sounds like they were struck by series of unfortunate circumstances. Just wanted to present the other end of the spectrum in regards to program impressions: you can never be sure of what people say on SDN and everything should be taken with a grain of salt. This has been reiterated numerous times, and this holds true for my post as well as any other reviews/impressions.
You should possibly edit to specify which of the many programs listed above you are referring to.

Not sure what JPS is.
Pine Rest isn't "awful"--but the poster mentioned it being cold and osteopathically oriented as negatives for them. It is a private-ish hospital in Grand Rapids, MI, which isn't for everyone, as western MI is pretty conservative, kind of a Dutch Reformed Bible Belt of sorts. And (especially this year) subject to the dreaded Lake Effect snow. But summers are nice...gorgeous country. I do know a couple of staff there, and they're good psychiatrists and nice people.

JPS is John Peter Smith. It's in the Forth Worth/Dallas area(i think in fort worth and not dallas). I think their volume is fairly decent and the sites are well staffed. I don't know a lot about it, but certainly haven't heard anything to indicate it is 'horrible'. Looking at their residents they have a medium sized class and there is a pretty decent number of amgs.

The reality is that insurances don't pay you more money for going to UCLA than some unknown community program. Non-academic hospitals for the most part just don't care. The advantages for most people of going to a bigname program instead of some unknown community type program are pretty nil, so people are often going to look at other things.
Yes, we'e very familiar with your anti-academic program bent. I certainly don't think they're the end-all/be-all. And there are lots of community programs that I would prefer to train at than academic ones.

My curiosity for the ranking of Kaweah Delta is that I've actually worked in Visalia. This is not a place most folks would want to live. I don't mean this from an if-it-ain't-20-minutes-from-the-coast-it-ain't-sheeut mentality. There are lots of charming places in inland California. There are some charming places in the delta there too. Visalia doesn't charm many. Glad it charmed Euthymia's friend.

Yes, we'e very familiar with your anti-academic program bent. I certainly don't think they're the end-all/be-all. And there are lots of community programs that I would prefer to train at than academic ones.

My curiosity for the ranking of Kaweah Delta is that I've actually worked in Visalia. This is not a place most folks would want to live. I don't mean this from an if-it-ain't-20-minutes-from-the-coast-it-ain't-sheeut mentality. There are lots of charming places in inland California. There are some charming places in the delta there too. Visalia doesn't charm many. Glad it charmed Euthymia's friend.

well there are very few true community programs in psych(less than 20% of all programs for sure). There are some academic programs that are less academic than others. That said, I don't know that I have an anti-academic bent. I didn't want to work in academics for a career and am not interested in doing research, but that doesn't make me anti-academic.

I haven't been to Visalia, but what exactly is 'not charming' about it? it's certainly not all that rural with a population density of 3200/sq mile, but that's also probably not too dense for people who don't want to be in a super high density area. is the weather terrible? Is crime out of control?

Not sure what JPS is.

Yes, this, and the poster also mentioned this about JPS which probably prompted Leo Aquarius to say that it sounded awful:
JPS at #6 because you have to testify 6 q wk x 4 yrs, 20-30 patients/notes per day, bad traffic, and very limited opportunities/amount of time for electives. F that.

That does sound a little hard to me as well.