2014 Postdoc Applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For anyone who has already interviewed-- can you share what your postdoc interviews were like compared to internship interviews? Common questions that were asked?

Like AA said, I enjoyed the process a whole lot more. I only interviewed at 2 sites, but it felt like each was looking for my ability to fit in well with and contribute well to the team of psychologists in the department, as well as showcasing their strengths as a site. It seemed at each that what they wanted from me was a sense of my short and long term career goals, and how the specific postdoc fit in with those goals. Overall, I felt like I was getting to know the team and envision whether I would find the work enjoyable. I felt like, much more than internship interviews, I was able to be my authentic self.

Members don't see this ad.

Are neuro individuals interested in posting where we have heard from in regards to interviews/rejections?

Members don't see this ad :)
yes, if people are comfortable sharing.
Okay I feel comfortable sharing:

Invitations to interview:
Mayo Clinic (on site)
UVA (on site)
Northwestern (on site)
NYU Comprehensive Epilepsy Center (on site)
Columbia Comprehensive Epilepsy Center (on site)
Cleveland Clinic (INS)
Dartmouth (INS)
University of Colorado School of Medicine (INS)

Rejection:
Harvard Partners Consortium

Congrats! Are these adult or pediatric tracks?

Okay I feel comfortable sharing:

Invitations to interview:
Mayo Clinic (on site)
UVA (on site)
Northwestern (on site)
NYU Comprehensive Epilepsy Center (on site)
Columbia Comprehensive Epilepsy Center (on site)
Cleveland Clinic (INS)
Dartmouth (INS)
University of Colorado School of Medicine (INS)

Rejection:
Harvard Partners Consortium[/q

Hopkins Hospital and Minneapolis VA, both adult neuro

Dr. Brandt. Hopkins rehab notified people a week or two ago. When did you hear from Mayo, if you don't mind me asking?

Dr. Brandt. Hopkins rehab notified people a week or two ago. When did you hear from Mayo, if you don't mind me asking?

I heard from Mayo through phone call about a week and a half ago. When did you hear from Dr Brandt? Thanks for the info!

Interview at VA Connecticut Healthcare System – West Haven Campus Adult Neuro
Anyone else hearing anything from neuro sites that have yet to be mentioned in this thread?

Reactions: 1 user
Received an email invitation for Seattle VA Neuro yesterday. Interviews at INS.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
University of Illinois Chicago College of Medicine, Adult Neuro

12 pending applications
6 VA
2 forensic
4 Neuro

1 interview, 2 rejections so far

Additional Adult Neuro Interviews:

Hartford Hospital/Institute of Living
Cambridge Health Alliance

Peds neuro interviews:

Akron Children's Hospital
Children's Healthcare of Atlanta
Children's Hospital Colorado
Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
Cleveland Clinic
Kennedy Krieger Institute
Nationwide Children's Hospital

Rejections from Cincinnati children's hospital and harvard partners consortium.

For the peds neuro people, adding in Children's Medical Center Dallas (heard from them last Friday)... All the rest of mine are already listed :)

Congrats! Were you all notified today ( Sunday)?

No... I heard from all of them this past Wednesday or earlier. Have heard crickets for a few days, starting to get antsy. :).

For the adult people, I believe one of my friends has an interview at the National rehab hospital (NRH) in DC.

Has anyone turned down an interview? I am fortunate enough to have gotten 8 interviews so far and still have multiple sites to hear from... I am worried that I'll be spread too thin at INS. Has anyone ever turned down an interview or is this in really bad form? I've heard most interviews are 30-45 minutes so I suppose I could just try to deal with it (if other sites offer me interviews, that is!)...

Just a reminder, many sites will be offering interviews this coming week. So, keep an eye on your e-mail.

Also, the VA's or closed today, so it will likely be Thursday or Friday when you hear from some of those sites.

Two rejections: Dartmouth (peds neuro) and Texas Children's Hospital. Sigh...

For the peds neuro people, adding in Children's Medical Center Dallas (heard from them last Friday)... All the rest of mine are already listed :)

Today was a good day! Got interview invites at Children's National and Phoenix Children's hospital. Both interviews at INS. Fingers crossed for everyone this week :)

Ok, interview offered by Advanced Neurobehavioral Health, peds neuro. Feeling better. : )

Interviews at Mayo Rochester and University of Michigan. Both adult neuro. Been waiting on Michigan!

has anyone heard from Boston VA or UVA/Western State Hospital (Bender/Barth site not Fuchs)?

I know someone who was offered an interview at Boston VA for adult neuro.

Interview at Nemours- A.I. DuPont Hospital for Children, rejection from North Shore/LIJ. Both peds neuro.

Forgot to post this earlier - interview offer with UMichigan peds neuro track (phone call yesterday afternoon)

Has anyone turned down an interview? I am fortunate enough to have gotten 8 interviews so far and still have multiple sites to hear from... I am worried that I'll be spread too thin at INS. Has anyone ever turned down an interview or is this in really bad form? I've heard most interviews are 30-45 minutes so I suppose I could just try to deal with it (if other sites offer me interviews, that is!)...

Unless there is a true outlier in your applications (a place that really doesn't fit what you need), I would not suggest declining an interview. Squeezing in 8-10 interviews at INS shouldn't be overly difficult if you can do a couple during the first day of INS…which is a pretty common accommodation.

Unless there is a true outlier in your applications (a place that really doesn't fit what you need), I would not suggest declining an interview. Squeezing in 8-10 interviews at INS shouldn't be overly difficult if you can do a couple during the first day of INS…which is a pretty common accommodation.

Seconded. It's ultimately, of course, up to you; however, I can say that I was able to fit in that many interviews at INS without feeling too pressured or worn out. Remember, most of the interviews are "only" going to be 30-60 minutes, which tends to fly by.

Has anyone heard from University of Kentucky or Medical College of Wisconsin (Adult neuro)?

Interview at Harbor/UCLA for adult neuro.

Has anyone heard from University of Kentucky or Medical College of Wisconsin (Adult neuro)?

I applied there but have not heard a peep. Was wondering the same thing.

Just finally found this thread! I have been wondering whether it was going to get going this year. All my sites are adult neuro (unless I have something else next to it). Here is my update:

Interviews:
UAB (INS)
UVA - Fuchs (INS)
Cooper University Hospital (INS and Phone)
University of Oklahoma HSC (INS)
West Haven VA (Phone)

Rejections:
Seattle VA
Portland VA (Polytrauma)
MedStar Rehab

I saw some interviews offers above (University of Colorado and Hartford Hospital/Institute of Living), but has anyone heard rejections from these sites? I applied and haven't heard a peep from them.

Anyone on here apply to the Pittsburgh VA, any tracks?

Just got an invite to WVU (INS)... Definitely wasn't expecting to hear from anyone on the weekend, so pleasant surprise!

Hello, yellowjello, my fellow. I also got an invite to WVU. You must be at a really good internship site :)

Has anyone heard anything from the Baltimore VA about either of their postdocs in neuro (one is general clinical neuro, the other is specifically neurologic disorders)?

Has anyone heard from Shepherd Center in Atlanta for adult neuro?

Hello everyone,

How are you all preparing for your post-doc interviews? Are you thinking that the interviews will be as intensive as internship interviews?

Got interview offers at:
Iccd partners
Alexian brothers
UCLA/Semel

All peds neuro. Hope the process is going well for u all!

I got an interview at NYU-Child Study Center (ILAA- peds neuro) today. Anyone heard from Boston Children's for peds neuro? I'm not expecting an interview from them, just want some closure. :).