2014 Postdoc Applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So anyone apply to non-nuero sites?

Members don't see this ad.

FYI:

If you are a postdoc applicant interviewing at INS or if you are a training faculty member conducting interviews at INS I would like to invite you, on behalf of the Association of Postdoctoral Programs in Clinical Neuropsychology (APPCN) to the APPCN Postdoc Welcome Breakfast on Tuesday Feb 11th from 7:00 to 9:00 (drop in anytime) in the Aspen Ballroom. All interview participants are invited regardless of APPCN membership status or “match” status.

What: APPCN Postdoc Welcome Breakfast

When: Drop in anytime between 7:00 and 9:00 a.m. on Tuesday February 11th.

Where: Aspen Ballroom at Seattle Sheraton

Who: For training faculty and applicants participating in postdoc interviews at INS.

Why: Free nourishment before a long day of interviews (coffee, juice, and food)

Mingle

Ask questions of APPCN leadership.

I received a phone call for an invite to the New Mexico VA Health Care System Neuropsych program yesterday. They are doing phone interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
What can I expect of the more formal all day neuro/rehab interviews?? They seem so serious and I honestly don't know how to prepare. Any insight is welcome :)

Interview with VA Maryland (Baltimore) for both adult neuro openings. They gave an INS and onsite option.

Heard back from NYU child study center, and JFK-Johnson Rehab yesterday (both invites, onsite interviews)

Interview at Louis Stokes VA, adult neuro.

Interview with Kansas SOM. Two left to hear from. Anyone hear from Semel yet?

Anyone here from the following neuro sites: Univ Kentucky SOM, South Texas VA?

Last edited:
I got offered an interview for peds neuro at Semel on Monday and my friend got one for adult neuro a couple weeks ago.

Interview with Kansas SOM. Two left to hear from. Anyone hear from Semel yet?

Interview at Rehab Institute of Michigan. Still waiting one 6...
Anyone here from the following neuro sites: Univ Kentucky SOM, South Texas VA?
I have not heard from Kentucky either. Didn't apply to South Texas.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview with U of Kentucky for adult neuro

Interview with UCLA Semel for gero/neuro.

I'm looking for postdocs in adult neuro, and am coming from a neurotrack internship. I have only gotten 2 interviews (one down, one at INS) of the 8 to which I applied (I am geographically limited). Does anyone know of colleagues who did not match/obtain a neuro postdoc? If so, how did they proceed? I don't have grad school to fall back on any more (thankfully, in most respects) but if I don't get a postdoc I'm not sure what I'm going to do... The 2-year postdoc is mandatory for obtaining ABPP-CN certification.

I'm looking for postdocs in adult neuro, and am coming from a neurotrack internship. I have only gotten 2 interviews (one down, one at INS) of the 8 to which I applied (I am geographically limited). Does anyone know of colleagues who did not match/obtain a neuro postdoc? If so, how did they proceed? I don't have grad school to fall back on any more (thankfully, in most respects) but if I don't get a postdoc I'm not sure what I'm going to do... The 2-year postdoc is mandatory for obtaining ABPP-CN certification.

You may be able to find a two-year postdoc that's more of an informal deal (e.g., at a private practice), as I see these types of listings pop up throughout the year on neuropsych listserves. You'd just want to make sure that the training would be consistent with ABPP requirements if you're looking to pursue boarding. And if any positions go unfilled in the match (7 went unfilled last year, for example), those may be posted shortly after the results are released as well.

One person I know of who didn't match ended up having a postdoctoral position created for them at their internship site. I don't know if it was particularly neuropsych-oriented, but they seemed to be happy with it.

Congrats! You seem to have done really well in this process- how many interviews did you wind up with?

Thanks! 16 for 17 on the interviews. Already declined at two sites, so really hoping that was not a mistake. This match versus non-match stuff is hectic. I have 4 clear favorites, three of which are in the match. If you get an offer at this point, you have not even had a chance to talk to people from the match sites.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks! 16 for 17 on the interviews. Already declined at two sites, so really hoping that was not a mistake. This match versus non-match stuff is hectic. I have 4 clear favorites, three of which are in the match. If you get an offer at this point, you have not even had a chance to talk to people from the match sites.

Yeah, that was a slight source of stress for me as well, although fortunately all of my front-runners were match programs. If non-match sites had attempted to pressure me into making a decision prior to even interviewing with most folks at INS, that likely would've negatively influenced my views of those particular programs. Luckily, that didn't happen to me.

Has anyone heard from the following peds sites; Riley Childrens Hospital in Indianapolis or Mt. Washington in Baltimore?

Has anyone heard from any of the research postdocs at Palo Alto VA (MIRECC, HSR&D, NCPTSD) or at the Boston VA? I'm wondering when they're going to do interviews.

Has anyone heard from Hines VA? Just wanting some closure :)
I believe that their interview invites have gone out already. I believe they will be doing all the out of towners at INS.

I applied to 5 VAs (not neuro) and heard back from 3. I know the other 2 sent out invites (and even rejections) but I have heard nothing from them. It would be nice to just tell me that I am no longer being considered as a courtesy.

This thread should really be renamed as the Neuro Post Doc thread.

This makes me feel so much better atgers! I decline a spot as well, and it was before my top interviews. I was feeling totally stressed about it and couldn't believe I actually turned a site down but honestly, I knew I wouldn't have been happy there. Thanks for sharing!

Last year there were a few people posting about UCC post docs, but I don't see much on this year's thread.

Anyone applied /heard back from UCCs?

This makes me feel so much better atgers! I decline a spot as well, and it was before my top interviews. I was feeling totally stressed about it and couldn't believe I actually turned a site down but honestly, I knew I wouldn't have been happy there. Thanks for sharing!
I know this is a late reply and you may already know this, but...you are allowed to contact sites in the match (if you have interviewed with them) and let them know of your pre-emptive offer. they can then respond to you and give you an indication of where you stand. this was helpful for me when determining match vs. non-match.

Well that was stressful for a while. But I was able to secure a 2-year 50/50 postdoc (not neuro) that was in my top tier. Good luck to everyone else.

FWIW, here were my stats:
Applied to 10 places (all over)
- 5 VAs: rejected from 2, I declined 2 interviews, not accepted at one site after interview, and never heard back from the Boston VA
- 2 faculty positions (MA level programs): phone interview at one place and rejected at another
- 2 AMCs: interviewed and placed as first alternate but at this point declined, interviewed at another but funding for position fell through
- 1 traditional uni post doc with half time clinic work: ACCEPTED!

It was less stressful in some ways compared to internship but more stressful in other ways (mainly the differing timelines of sites and the inability to hold an offer for too long).

Woohoo, I just got an offer for a post-doc position!

I applied to 12 sites:
4 neuro
6 VA
2 Forensic

Received 4 interviews, got accepted at a VA site that I like.
How is everyone else doing? I know the NAT match is coming up soon.

Reactions: 1 user
I am surprised at the numerous VA positions that went unfilled and have been reposted in the past few days. Some great MIRECC positions and other nicely located VA positions. And lots of great looking research post docs coming out recently.