2014 Scramble Support

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Really rather unhappy with certain programs deciding to fill multiple positions so quickly after the scramble list was published.

That $25 application fee I wasted would cover a fancy pizza dinner. Grumble. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Heard back from a program, but it was a voicemail! I didnt have service all day on my phone (at rotation)....I left them a return voicemail cause they didnt answer.....stupid phone service! I'm so on edge with all of this. I hope they call me back and didnt fill up all interview slots. Who knows when they called me, as my voicemail didnt tell me what time they left a voicemail!?!?! ahhhh

Yes, last year I was contacted by phone from two programs. Hopefully you'll hear back from them. I remember going through this last year feeling hopeless, since I had not heard from many programs and positions were filling quietly. My current program did not contact me until a week after the application period opened, and I interviewed in early April. They have multiple open positions this year, and will be starting interviews later this week.

For those of you who will be doing skype interviews, here are some things that I have learned from my own experience. When speaking, try to maintain eye contact with the camera, and not your computer screen. I think this is probably the most difficult thing to do since you will not be able to see your interviewers. If you look at the computer screen, it will look like you're looking down on something, assuming that your camera is on top of your monitor. The rest of the preparation is just the basic stuff: use an ethernet connection and not wifi, make sure that your audience can hear you clearly through your mic, proper lighting, full professional dress, pen and notepad handy, etc. Good luck, everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Really rather unhappy with certain programs deciding to fill multiple positions so quickly after the scramble list was published.

That $25 application fee I wasted would cover a fancy pizza dinner. Grumble. ;)

Can you share what programs you know got filled...so i know what to cross off my list?

Ended up hearing back from the program that left me a voicemail. On top of that, ended up with another interview tomorrow evening. Now the ball is rollin'

do you think its too late to submit an app now? one of my mentors told me good things about a program on the list, i wasnt really planning on scrambling but what the heck

do you think its too late to submit an app now? one of my mentors told me good things about a program on the list, i wasnt really planning on scrambling but what the heck
Why not, may just be out $25.

I just spend the last several hours preparing my application, then I go in to Phorcas and find out that the position is "closed."

Not all programs "fill their spots." Some of these get converted to PGY2 spots, lose funding, etc...

Ended up hearing back from the program that left me a voicemail. On top of that, ended up with another interview tomorrow evening. Now the ball is rollin'
Do you mind posting which states you've received interviews from? I'm just anxiously refreshing my email!

I am maintain list of positions as they are fill. If you are receive position or know is fill, please post or pm me so I am update list.

Members don't see this ad :)
University of Toledo received 150 applications for the 5 spots they have left. So they closed because they did not want anymore applications flooding their inbox. They will be reviewing applications this week into next and hopefully deciding by next 4/9.

University of Toledo received 150 applications for the 5 spots they have left. So they closed because they did not want anymore applications flooding their inbox. They will be reviewing applications this week into next and hopefully deciding by next 4/9.
Wow...im in that shuffle. Thats insane the amount of applicants they received

Wow, I don't blame them for closing. I guess when you have that many applicants, you have to cut through them fast. I think this is when little things can knock you out of the competition quickly (GPA, lack of work experience, etc.)

Reactions: 1 users
I guess I'm kind of curious why they have so many slots open :p

Wow...im in that shuffle. Thats insane the amount of applicants they received

I think I'm a little more concerned about the places that have 1 residency slot that have received that many applications.

Good luck with those odds...

any idea what type of questions to expect if a resident is interviewing you?

I thought that these programs are not allowed to select residents until Monday, the earliest? How are places already selecting theirs?

That is a "recommended" rule and not required. Some programs are worried about losing good candidates. We followed the recommendation last year. It was fine because we had so many applicants, but we lost out on a few.

Carolina Medical Center has chosen their resident.

I personally know Carolinas Medical Center was still interviewing applicants today. I know they have chosen their interviewees, but I don't think they have actually offered the position to anyone yet...unless something drastically changed in the last few hours, from what I've heard they've told applicants they won't know til Monday (like they're supposed to). Correct me if I'm wrong!

Im trying to figure out that when at the end of an interview, the director goes, "so, if anything you will hear from me on monday if you are chosen for the PGY-1 program and will have until tuesday to make a decision, but would expect that you call me back and let me know if you accept something else so that we know"........is this a good sign, or more of a blanket statement to all applicant that are interviewed? maybe im reading too much into it and trying to figure out if I will be picked lol

Pretty sure that's a blanket closing statement they give everyone. Take a step back and look at it, and I think you'd agree.

This process is making me feel terrible. So many applicants and so little spots. It's like once you spot a honey comb all the bees come swarming to it in hopes of one drop of hope.

This process is making me feel terrible. So many applicants and so little spots. It's like once you spot a honey comb all the bees come swarming to it in hopes of one drop of hope.
Pretty much lol. I still don't know how I got one through the scramble. :p

Pretty sure that's a blanket closing statement they give everyone. Take a step back and look at it, and I think you'd agree.

I had a phone interview today and was told that according to ASHP post-match rules, programs cannot make offers and applicants cannot accept them until Monday, March 31st.

I'm so used to being rejected that my mind automatically tells me, Let's start preparing for next year's match:eek:

I am had interview for program today as they interview me and other candidate together. They are say they want to get through many candidates as possible fast to expect make offer fast. What is others expereience for these interviews with also other candidates at same time? It is feel very strange becuase we are answer same questions but they see which is answer better

I am had interview for program today as they interview me and other candidate together. They are say they want to get through many candidates as possible fast to expect make offer fast. What is others expereience for these interviews with also other candidates at same time? It is feel very strange becuase we are answer same questions but they see which is answer better

I've had several onsite interviews where other candidates and I rotated through different rooms in a panel style interview. IMHO, having candidates in the same room and interviewing is a really intimidating and cruel way to interview.

I'm not trying to be mean but do you really type like this?

Reactions: 2 users
I've had several onsite interviews where other candidates and I rotated through different rooms in a panel style interview. IMHO, having candidates in the same room and interviewing is a really intimidating and cruel way to interview.

I could see that. I had an interview where the program gave us several patient cases and we were put in a room and asked several questions about each of them in a tag team style. Lucky for me we all seemed to be on the same level in terms of our knowledge. I actually liked that because I always assume I'm an idiot and everyone else is a genius so it felt better to know that there were things each of us knew and things we didn't. They didn't usually ask us the same questions. It would be a question for candidate A, then if candidate A couldn't answer they'd say "well candidate B what do you think?". Often we were giving complete answers between the 3 of us. It was pretty good teamwork for an interview. I think it could be a good way to interview because the program can see how the candidates think as individuals and how they work together as a team.

I am really try. It because I am have languarge disorder but I am keep going and is do my best.
Like I said, ignore the trolls. They try to prey on others to make themselves feel better. Yet when they whine and complain on here about how terrible their lives are because they didn't match to a PGY-1 last year, they expect all the sympathy in the world.

Like I said, ignore the trolls. They try to prey on others to make themselves feel better. Yet when they whine and complain on here about how terrible their lives are because they didn't match to a PGY-1 last year, they expect all the sympathy in the world.
I'm the troll? Okay.

Goldfish has been one of the most supportive and knowledgable posters on this board. Not a troll!

Reactions: 6 users
It's worth a shot! I would try it. I don't think I would try to scramble with a program that interviewed me and didn't match. But scrambling with a program that I had applied but never got an invite from is different.

I would agree. I scrambled for a PGY-1 position last year and put in an application to a place that didn't offer me an interview initially.

Probably a waste of money but couldn't help myself and submitted one last application today

Ya never know!

...i found a grey hair today!!...ugh