2014 Shadowing Requirements/Recommendations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc toothache

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some minor changes in shadowing requirement/recommendation from 2013. Georgia went from 30 to 200 hours; Louisiana from 30 hours at 2 offices to 50 and 17 hours each at 3 offices; Mississippi from 40 to 100.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• 2014 job shadowing requirements 7-25-14.doc
    77.5 KB · Views: 1,264
Between shadowing creep and prerequisite creep its getting harder and harder for non-trads to apply. Glad I'm applying this cycle!

Reactions: 2 users
didn't see a legend on the document..but what does NR and NS mean?
thanks doctoothache for this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Between shadowing creep and prerequisite creep its getting harder and harder for non-trads to apply. Glad I'm applying this cycle!
It may get harder and harder to find practitioners willing to put up with the increased demand for shadowing.

didn't see a legend on the document..but what does NR and NS mean?
thanks doctoothache for this.
NR- Not reported
NS- Not specified

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Good stuff, this consolidated list is awesome.

Anyone know which school require certain forms/documentation of hours? Right now I plan on simply have my dentist include it in his recommendation letter. I didn't see anything specif for Texas schools, Michigan, or Pitt in terms of paperwork.

I read that Ohio Sate required a certain form but wasn't sure if other schools do also.

Isn't 200 hours a bit excessive?

Reactions: 2 users
Isn't 200 hours a bit excessive?

I certainly seems like it. Most of the dentists I have told this to are kind of taken aback when I tell them how many hours GRU requires for admission. On one hand its a good thing since with that many hours you have no doubt what you are getting yourself into. On the other hand I'm not too sure how many dentists are willing/able to let someone shadow for that long. You do what you gotta do though.

Reactions: 1 user
The 200 hour requirement caught my eye, so I pulled up GRU's website. I couldn't find anything on there about 200 hours, but I did find this:

"The selection of a career should be made after careful examination of the pros and cons of the field under consideration. Observing in the office of a general dentist is the best way to learn about dentistry, and the Student Admissions and Recruitment Committee recommends that applicants make arrangements to observe in the offices of one or more general dentists. While observing in a dentist 's office is not a requirement for admission, it is seen by the admissions committee as one measure of an applicant 's interest in dentistry as a career."
http://www.gru.edu/dentalmedicine/admit/admissions.php

The 2014 ADEA guide lists 200 hours as being recommended. :confused:

"The selection of a career should be made after careful examination of the pros and cons of the field under consideration. Observing in the office of a general dentist is the best way to learn about dentistry, and the Student Admissions and Recruitment Committee recommends that applicants make arrangements to observe in the offices of one or more general dentists. While observing in a dentist 's office is not a requirement for admission, it is seen by the admissions committee as one measure of an applicant 's interest in dentistry as a career."

Noted and changed. At times, there is virtually no distinction between recommended and required.

I can't find it either.

Where does it say NYU requires 100 hours ?

This is actually recommended hours for NYU, not required. Another applicant called to verify this and they said "100 is recommended but having around 80 hours or so (rather than 100) is not a large enough deficit for the applicant to be at a disadvantage."

This is actually recommended hours for NYU, not required. Another applicant called to verify this and they said "100 is recommended but having around 80 hours or so (rather than 100) is not a large enough deficit for the applicant to be at a disadvantage."
Verba volant scriptum manet. Did they also tell the "other" applicant that the info sent to ADEA was a misprint? Adcoms make the rules and they can break them. If they like an applicant, they make all kinds of exceptions, not to mention that shadowing requirements/recommendations is likely at the bottom of everyone's list.

The Trenorol requirement caught my eye, so I pulled up GRU's website. I couldn't find anything on there about 200 hours, but I did find this:

Does it have to be 200 hours with the same dentist though? Couldn't it be split between several?

Last edited: