2014 wait-list blues thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Berna

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't noticed that such a thread has been opened for this year, so here we go.

Post if you have been wait-listed and also post when you receive any update! State the program and the name of the school please :)

I'll go first:

School: IUPUI (Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis)
Program: Clinical PhD
Notified: via email on 12/19/2013, put on a wait-list

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
School: Southern Illinois University-Carbondale
Notified: via email from program director 01/27/14---put on wait list

School: University of Wyoming
Notified: I emailed my POI to check on the status of my application. She stated that she had reviewed my application and "made my short list, but did not make the final cut for the interviews"

School: Univeristy of Minnesota
Program: Counseling PhD (no in-person interviews for this program, only phone)
Notified: via email on 2/7/2014

"very high on waitlist" and people are "often admitted off the waitlist" - so we'll see.

School: University of Mississippi
Notified: via email on 2/13

Notified by DCT that, after interview weekend, I was listed as a first-alternate for the program. This program is REALLY high on my list, so if anyone is planning to turn down their offer it would be greatly appreciated if you did it quicky!!

School: University of Southern Mississippi
Notified via email on 2/13

Notified by POI that I was listed as an alternate for the program.

School: University of Maryland College Park
Notified via email from POI on 2/18.

Told I was at the top of the waitlist.

School: Washington State University
Notified via email on 2/19

I thought the fit here was amazing, so, fingers crossed.

School: University of Mississippi
Notified: via email on 2/13

Notified by DCT that, after interview weekend, I was listed as a first-alternate for the program. This program is REALLY high on my list, so if anyone is planning to turn down their offer it would be greatly appreciated if you did it quicky!!

I got the same email and am also still extremely interested in the program, especially after what I thought was a really good interview weekend! Would you mind PMing me your POI?

School: Sam Houston State University
Program: Clinical PhD - Forensic
Notified: Mail 2/18

Wait listed... Well see what happens!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm currently wait listed for my top choice program. I also have one acceptance offer as my back up. Come April 15th though, what would I do in case I haven't yet heard from my top choice about my status? I guess I would have to accept the back up offer, but am I able to withdraw my acceptance in case I do receive an acceptance off the wait list post April 15th? I hope some of you will know the answer to this dilemma!

Thanks!

I'm currently wait listed for my top choice program. I also have one acceptance offer as my back up. Come April 15th though, what would I do in case I haven't yet heard from my top choice about my status? I guess I would have to accept the back up offer, but am I able to withdraw my acceptance in case I do receive an acceptance off the wait list post April 15th? I hope some of you will know the answer to this dilemma!

Thanks!

I would love to know the answer to this too! Also, how are people handling the pressure from a PI at a back-up school to accept before April 15th?

Can you tell the PI you haven't yet received all your admission decisions, and would like some more time to think about it? I don't think he is legally allowed to pressure you though.

Can you tell the PI you haven't yet received all your admission decisions, and would like some more time to think about it? I don't think he is legally allowed to pressure you though.

Thanks, that's helpful!

Thanks!

I honestly don't know if it's legally binding when you accept the offer on the 15th, although at some point you'll likely sign a contract (although again, there may not be a significant legal/financial penalty if you break said contract). However, I'd personally recommend against accepting an offer and then withdrawing, as doing so is very likely to burn some bridges. Given how small psychology is as a whole (and particularly how small specialty areas can be), those aren't the sorts of relationships you want to be souring early in your training. That's just my take, though.

As for what I'd do--if you don't have an answer from the first-choice program by the 15th, I'd definitely contact them and let them know that they're your top choice, but that as you have another offer, if they can't likewise make you an offer, you'll have to accept elsewhere.

School: University of Texas Southwestern (UTSW)
Notified: via phone 2/24

I still have my fingers crossed! After interviewing at this program I don't even want to go anywhere else.

I honestly don't know if it's legally binding when you accept the offer on the 15th, although at some point you'll likely sign a contract (although again, there may not be a significant legal/financial penalty if you break said contract). However, I'd personally recommend against accepting an offer and then withdrawing, as doing so is very likely to burn some bridges. Given how small psychology is as a whole (and particularly how small specialty areas can be), those aren't the sorts of relationships you want to be souring early in your training. That's just my take, though.

As for what I'd do--if you don't have an answer from the first-choice program by the 15th, I'd definitely contact them and let them know that they're your top choice, but that as you have another offer, if they can't likewise make you an offer, you'll have to accept elsewhere.
I appreciate your feedback! Hopefully I will hear from my first choice before 04/15 (fingers crossed) and I don't even have to think about it. I really like both programs, but the firm offer I have is more than double the amount in tuition than the wait list one. I assume that's a big factor in decision making for everyone here.

I appreciate your feedback! Hopefully I will hear from my first choice before 04/15 (fingers crossed) and I don't even have to think about it. I really like both programs, but the firm offer I have is more than double the amount in tuition than the wait list one. I assume that's a big factor in decision making for everyone here.

Oh wow. I would agree, then--unless we're only talking about a jump from $2k to $4k, waiting to see if your first choice makes an offer is going to be in your best long-term financial interests if nothing else.

Oh wow. I would agree, then--unless we're only talking about a jump from $2k to $4k, waiting to see if your first choice makes an offer is going to be in your best long-term financial interests if nothing else.
That's what I thought, too. I'm just not sure if the difference in tuition upwards of $70 000 would be worth burning bridges over, in the case I'd be offered a spot off the wait list after April 15th...

Reading this thread is a flashback to 2009 when I on here getting support because I was wait-listed at 4 schools with 0 offers. I wanted to send you all good mojo, in hopes that you get into your top programs!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Reading this thread is a flashback to 2009 when I on here getting support because I was wait-listed at 4 schools with 0 offers. I wanted to send you all good mojo, in hopes that you get into your top programs!!!
So tell us, how did things turn out for you? Were you offered a spot off the wait list at some point?

Waitlisted at Rutgers' Clinical Psychology PsyD. Staying hopeful, as always.

I started that very first "waitlist blues" thread back in 2009!

My thoughts are with all of you, I know how difficult it is. I had a happy ending and hope you will too. :)

Reactions: 2 users
Wait listed at University of Kansas for the clinical Ph.D adult track program.

So tell us, how did things turn out for you? Were you offered a spot off the wait list at some point?

I ended up getting into my top choice of the four programs, albeit after a stressful four weeks of waiting. Then I jumped up and down celebrating for about a solid hour straight!!!

Reactions: 3 users
I ended up getting into my top choice of the four programs, albeit after a stressful four weeks of waiting. Then I jumped up and down celebrating for about a solid hour straight!!!

What an amazing and positive story. Hope to have similar news soon. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: 1 user
Waitlisted at Wright State University...want this extreeemmellyyy badly. If anyones releasing a spot before April 15, please PM me :)

Do schools typically email you if you're wait listed and all the spots end up filling first? I am wondering when I can expect to hear from a school if I am not accepted, and if this should be before April 15th?

Do schools typically email you if you're wait listed and all the spots end up filling first? I am wondering when I can expect to hear from a school if I am not accepted, and if this should be before April 15th?
My understanding is that schools will try to inform those on the waitlist as soon as possible once all the positions have been filled. With that said, there my be a fair amount of time elapsed between the filled position and when you're notified. A person may verbally agree to attend, but until it's in writing the school will not notify you of their acceptance due to the possibility of them changing their mind prior to paperwork being received. Once the paperwork is processed you should then be notified, but their concern during this process is filling their cohort first before closing the extra door that is their waitlist. The goal for everyone is to be done before April 15th, however that is not always possible. Many last-minute changes occur, and offers go out beyond the "deadline." It just depends when people are satisfied with their offers and decide to accept/relinquish them to those of us waiting.

Waitlisted at Indiana University-Bloomington....

Have 1 acceptance to a FSPS and a couple of MA acceptances...

Accepted off the waitlist at my top choice and it's not even April yet. Wonderful news. I accepted the offer and can now enjoy life before grad school.

All the best to all of you out there who are still waitlisted at your first or second choice. Hopefully things work out for you, too.

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted off the waitlist at my top choice and it's not even April yet. Wonderful news. I accepted the offer and can now enjoy life before grad school.

All the best to all of you out there who are still waitlisted at your first or second choice. Hopefully things work out for you, too.
Thank you for the encouragement!

I'm on a waitlist for my top choice of schools, and have been in very gentle contact with my PI at that school. In response to an email I sent, he said he's going to call me on Wednesday to touch base. I just realized--what if he asks if I have other offers? Currently I don't have any other acceptances, but I am on an unofficial waitlist for another school, and I have one school where I have yet to hear back from. Is it kosher for them to ask if we have other acceptances? How do I answer without (wrongly) implying that the only reason I'm interested in his school is because it's my only option?

I'm on a waitlist for my top choice of schools, and have been in very gentle contact with my PI at that school. In response to an email I sent, he said he's going to call me on Wednesday to touch base. I just realized--what if he asks if I have other offers? Currently I don't have any other acceptances, but I am on an unofficial waitlist for another school, and I have one school where I have yet to hear back from. Is it kosher for them to ask if we have other acceptances? How do I answer without (wrongly) implying that the only reason I'm interested in his school is because it's my only option?

I would hope the faculty member wouldn't be so blunt as to ask directly if you have offers to other schools. In my mind, it would be inappropriate for him to ask you something like that. However, it might not be out of the ordinary for him to encourage you to pursue other options at this point, if coming off the waitlist seems unlikely, or he may just want to continue to gauge your interest and let you know in person what the your status is. I think it shows some degree of caring that they would be willing to call to touch base.

Others might have different opinions, but if the topic does come up, it is not untrue to mention that you have other options (of which you dont have to specify: the wait list elsewhere, deciding to wait another year), and that despite those other options, you remain the most interested in that school and program based on fit, training, etc, highlighting the reasons why you are interested in the school. If they haven't heard from the original students they have made offers to yet, there is likely little they can do at this point other than to let you know of your current status, and tell you that if you are still interested you will be informed as soon as they know anything.

that was really helpful, thank you!

For those of you who interviewed at Georgia State University, have u heard anything back yet? It's been a month, and I have yet to hear from my POI. This wait is the worst part of the process and don't understand why I haven't heard a single thing! I'm trying to be patient but it's tough

For those of you who interviewed at Georgia State University, have u heard anything back yet? It's been a month, and I have yet to hear from my POI. This wait is the worst part of the process and don't understand why I haven't heard a single thing! I'm trying to be patient but it's tough

I and at least one other person were accepted at GSU according to the Grad Cafe results page. I've accepted their offer, so I imagine/hope my POI contacted everyone else to let them escape this purgatory!

I would hope the faculty member wouldn't be so blunt as to ask directly if you have offers to other schools. In my mind, it would be inappropriate for him to ask you something like that. However, it might not be out of the ordinary for him to encourage you to pursue other options at this point, if coming off the waitlist seems unlikely, or he may just want to continue to gauge your interest and let you know in person what the your status is. I think it shows some degree of caring that they would be willing to call to touch base.

Others might have different opinions, but if the topic does come up, it is not untrue to mention that you have other options (of which you dont have to specify: the wait list elsewhere, deciding to wait another year), and that despite those other options, you remain the most interested in that school and program based on fit, training, etc, highlighting the reasons why you are interested in the school. If they haven't heard from the original students they have made offers to yet, there is likely little they can do at this point other than to let you know of your current status, and tell you that if you are still interested you will be informed as soon as they know anything.
I and at least one other person were accepted at GSU according to the Grad Cafe results page. I've accepted their offer, so I imagine/hope my POI contacted everyone else to let them escape this purgatory!
Thanks! Do you mind pm'ing me your POI and when you found out? Congrats. I am soooooo jealous but happy for you.

Question: Notre Dame (Clinical) has done interviews and accepted people. They have also supposedly sent out mass email rejections. I've heard nothing - anyone know what's going on?

Ok question: how often are people waitlisted at clinical programs without an interview? Just very curious...

Question:

I'm currently on the wait-list for one of my top choice schools to work with Professor 1. I was informed of this decision about a month ago, and have just been playing the waiting game since. Today, I got an e-mail from Professor 2 (I expressed a desire to have her as a potential mentor in my personal statement, but was invited by Professor 1 to interview weekend). Professor 2 is curious to see if I have other offers (which I do), and wants to further discuss my research interests. I had already written her off as a potential mentor as she did not indicate an interest in me previously. I am grateful that she wants to speak to me, but I do not want to come off as uncertain about my research interests/goals post-interview.

Has anyone else been in this situation? Any advice?

Ugh! The wait list is killing me. How's everyone else doing?

I'm in agonizing pain lol!! I have been waiting to hear from my top choice for almost five weeks now! I have not heard one thing from my POI, even after emailing her almost two weeks ago! It's very frustrating! And I have been holding an offer from another
school for almost 7 weeks now and I feel terrible but what else can I do? This is awful!! I just don't understand why the program I haven't heard from doesn't let me know exactly where I stand! It's very inconsiderate and really making me rethink why I even want to go there!

I hear you, Faith! It's such a rough process. I'm waitlisted at all my schools. No acceptances yet. It's horrible!!
Are you going to write to your POI again? I think two weeks is a good amount of time to wait for a response.

I am waitlisted at four schools and accepted at one, but declined that offer because meeting the POI made me feel very weary of the program (and it was only partially funded). I have honestly given up hope for this year. People keep telling me there is still time, but I would rather deal with reality now. Weirdly, instead of feeling depressed, I am extremely motivated to contribute more to the research in my current position, take advantage of more volunteer opportunities, and look into schools I had not considered this year. I hope you get in to the programs you are waitlisted for, but if not, there is always next year! There is only room for improvement. You were clearly very qualified, and just need that extra year to make your CV dazzling.

Reactions: 1 user
Ok question: how often are people waitlisted at clinical programs without an interview? Just very curious...
This kind of thing really doesn't happen. Clinical psych programs (both PhD and PsyD) are some of the most competitive programs around, and so schools will likely want to interview potential candidates before even considering taking you in. This week I saw 1 person on grad cafe say they got into a psyd at Xavier without any type of interview, but I'm not sure if that sort of thing happens anywhere else. Have you had any interviews this season?

All the best to you.