2015-2016 Anesthesiology Applications and Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone get any interview invites the past couple days? I'm wondering I'm they are just about done or if one or two more will come through. Thanks
Got Dartmouth invite yesterday and UC Irvine last week. Can't go to either though. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bump for people to put in post-interview communication and such.

I've gotten post-IV communications from 2 places, saying you've got a spot if you want it.
Is not going to change my rank list. With the way the match works, it will not affect my odds of matching at one of those 2 places. I will just get a chance at places I want to go more.

Don't really see the point of talking about it?

Did people receive "Rank to match" language in their emails from UAB or MUSC? I received emails from them but not with that strong of language

I received "you are in a matchable position based on last year's data" from MUSC

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone get an email from Vanderbilt today?

Reactions: 1 user
I guess since we are doing this I'll jump on the bandwagon. Anyone get a RTM from the University of Wiscosnin department?

Did anyone get a RTM type email from Case Western University Hospitals? I saw someone posted on the google doc but curious if anyone else has

Did people receive "Rank to match" language in their emails from UAB or MUSC? I received emails from them but not with that strong of language
I recieved an email, but mine did not say "rank to match".
Did anyone else get this kind of email?

I received a similar email from MUSC, but it was worded a bit differently...

Does anyone know what is going on with UCI anesthesia? I heard their Chair has decided to step down and that they have an acting Program Director. Sounds like a mess. Any input from people who interviewed there?

This reply is coming a bit late for this year's application cycle, but in case it helps for future cycles I'll post a reply anyway. I'm a current resident at UCI. Yes, the previous chair Dr. Kain stepped down in 2014 and we have an acting chair Dr. Engwall (who is phenomenal) who has been with the program for decades and has been the acting chair in the past. Around the same time, Dr. Ahn took over as program director, and yes, all of those changes did give the residents a spook at that time. Now that the dust has settled, the overall consensus is that the change is a VERY favorable one, and it has been an incredibly smooth transition. Both Dr. Engwall and Dr. Ahn are super responsive to resident needs (as were the previous ones). I think the main reason why the transition was so smooth is that the acting chair has been with the department for so long, is well-liked, and has held that role in the past. Similarly the new PD was so heavily involved in resident education prior to the change that it felt very natural.

As far as PSH goes, it is a work in progress (both at UCI and on a national scale) and likely will be that way for some time. The PSH program at UCI evolves significantly from year to year based on what elements work/ don't work, and is headed up by some great faculty. That said, it's not perfect by any means, and I personally see it as a well-developed pilot project. Yes, many years of thought and energy have gone into it. But overall, PSH is still in its infancy and ultimately will require buy-in from all surgical services to fully work. We have buy in from some surgical services but not others, and that has made it challenging to expand. It's still in a phase of exploring options, trying out new things, and ironing out lots of kinks along the way. That said, as a UCI resident, PSH really amounts to just one rotation. Whether it flies or fails we will not be significantly impacted, but I do think it gives us pretty a unique insight on the potential future of anesthesia.