2015-2016 APPIC Internship Cycle Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't know for sure, maybe some of the psychologists who are at sites where they review applications can answer you. But my guess is that some will and some won't, that it will depend on several factors. Maybe that's not a helpful answer but no one else replied so it's an answer at least.
also maybe OP could contact APPIC to get an eta

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure this is normal, whatever that means anyway, but it sure does capture the way I'm feeling pretty well. I'm not feeling particularly confident about any of my written stuff and the cover letters are just really annoying at this point ... so yeah, totally worried about not getting any interviews at all. But hey, if that happens to us, at least we won't be alone.

Thanks for normalizing how I'm feeling. Every time I read my cover letters/essays for the billionth time, I find a new reason to dislike them/evidence as to why I won't get interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
Question: My transcripts had to be resubmitted to APPIC, and now they might not be up by the 11/1 deadlines . . . does anyone know if sites will actually refuse to review my application because of this?

Uhhh yeah, I'd try calling APPIC. Maybe put a small sentence in your cover letters that you had to re-submit them for whatever reason? Not sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just submitted my applications... let the nervous waiting begin :(

Just submitted my applications... let the nervous waiting begin :(

Congrats! I can't wait until mine are all done. So ready for this to be over and there's still more than three months to go.

Reactions: 1 users
Just about to submit my applications... I'm in Canada and this exchange rate is killer! The already steep $400 becomes $525. Yikes! I guess I'll be getting a cheap wine to celebrate this part being finished :) Good luck to everybody else who's rushing towards deadlines. Onwards and upwards!

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone knows what my chances are of matching to a hospital-based internship if I haven't had any practica in hospitals? I have extensive experience with diverse populations in community mental health, college counseling centers, and lots of evidence-based treatments, but am worried that I may still be at a disadvantage.

Thanks!

Hi all,

Does anyone know if it's possible to submit the internship program designations on the APPIC app one at a time? For example, I have some apps due this weekend and others that are due in two weeks, but it looks like the website won't let me move forward until I fill in all the supplemental materials for each site.

Thank you!

Hi all,

Does anyone know if it's possible to submit the internship program designations on the APPIC app one at a time? For example, I have some apps due this weekend and others that are due in two weeks, but it looks like the website won't let me move forward until I fill in all the supplemental materials for each site.

Thank you!
I know last year you could submit your apps in chunks because I was able to do it. I would imagine it's the same this year since sites do have such differing due dates. Play around some more and it might become clearer. I remember the process being not as straightforward as they made it seem.

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone knows what my chances are of matching to a hospital-based internship if I haven't had any practica in hospitals? I have extensive experience with diverse populations in community mental health, college counseling centers, and lots of evidence-based treatments, but am worried that I may still be at a disadvantage.

Thanks!
You'll have better chances if you're in a PhD program. If you're PsyD, I wouldn't recommend it. Primary care internships are notoriously competitive. Make sure you have a nice variety of sites and some that match your experience better. Applying to primarily hospital sites is risky.

Are hospitals generally regarded as more competitive than UCCs?

You'll have better chances if you're in a PhD program. If you're PsyD, I wouldn't recommend it. Primary care internships are notoriously competitive. Make sure you have a nice variety of sites and some that match your experience better. Applying to primarily hospital sites is risky.
Ok, thanks for the advice!

Members don't see this ad :)
I know last year you could submit your apps in chunks because I was able to do it. I would imagine it's the same this year since sites do have such differing due dates. Play around some more and it might become clearer. I remember the process being not as straightforward as they made it seem.
Yup, I've been submitting them in smaller chunks. If you have a site in your designation tab that you are not ready to submit, however, you'll have to remove it and add it back in later when you are ready to submit it. That's the trick to it.

Does anyone else's mobile app information not match up with the online portal? I'm in big trouble if the mobile app information is accurate!

Does anyone else's mobile app information not match up with the online portal? I'm in big trouble if the mobile app information is accurate!
Yes, my APPIC2016 portal says I've successfully designated and submitted applications to 14 sites. My APPIC Mobile says I've only designated 12. Recent e-mail on [intern-network] also says "If you are using the mobile app it gives totally different information. Just an FYI."

Not sure which one to trust. Hopefully the online portal?!

Hi all,

Thank you!

Yes, it absolutely is. I submitted my first 6 yesterday, and will submit the other 9-10 in two or three groups. What you need to do is delete the ones you don't want to send, and just leave the ones you're ready to send. After you pay for them and e-submit, you'll have the chance to add other sites and attach stuff to them.

They could do a much better job of showing what happens after that initial screen. I know that I, and a lot of my internship cohort members, had this same question. Good luck!

Hi everyone,

Thanks!

I think this depends on what you mean by hospital-based internships. Are you talking exclusively behavioral medicine, academic medical centers with various tracks, etc.? Anyway, I think your chance depends on how closely your prior practica experiences and your interests match with the services provided through the hospital. If you can draw similarities clearly in your cover letters and interviews, then I think you could have a good shot. I also wouldn't be so quick to assume your chances are worse if you are in a PsyD vs. PhD program. The fit matters most. Good luck!

If sites don't specify the time they stop taking applications, is it safe to assume the deadline is ~5PM?

Hi all,

Thank you!

Yes, you are able to submit one application at a time or groups of applications. I submitted 20 total applications and did this in 4 different batches. The key is only designate the sites you are ready to submit. So, if you've designated some sites that you are not ready to submit, you can delete them from your designation list and then re-add later. Let me know if you have anymore questions about this! Best of luck through the match process.

Turned in my application last night. Good luck everyone!

So who's going to start the 2015-2016 APPIC internship interview thread? I've thought of doing it but I'm not sure I can spare the time. If no one comes forward by mid-November, I may take it on though.

empathiosis --you have been so good with our externship threads.. but totally understandable :). Hopefully someone feels like they have some time.. any takers??

So who's going to start the 2015-2016 APPIC internship interview thread? I've thought of doing it but I'm not sure I can spare the time. If no one comes forward by mid-November, I may take it on though.
Hey, I saw your post and decided to step up to create the thread. It is titled "2015-2016 APPIC Internship Interviews." Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 users
So the portal is down, longer than what was reported by appic initially. I wont be able to submit two applications as a result, to sites I really liked.

Guess I shouldn't have focused on my practicum work at practicum and have forgotten my laptop at home. Does anyone know if they will extend the deadlines for sites because appic was down?

Thanks

So the portal is down, longer than what was reported by appic initially. I wont be able to submit two applications as a result, to sites I really liked.

Guess I shouldn't have focused on my practicum work at practicum and have forgotten my laptop at home. Does anyone know if they will extend the deadlines for sites because appic was down?

Thanks
Based on my understanding, it is really up to the sites. It may not hurt to email the training directors at those sites to see if they would be willing to still accept the applications. Perhaps even attach your materials (cover letter, essays, CV). The worst they could say is no.

Thanks

This is Dr. Self's latest e-mail, which you may have already seen by now:

Good morning all,

The applicant portal has been restored. We will be discussing how to help those who were impacted by the outage and may have missed deadlines as a result, but I wanted to promptly disseminate notification that the portal is functional.

Mariella
AAPI Online Coordinator

Hey, I saw your post and decided to step up to create the thread. It is titled "2015-2016 APPIC Internship Interviews." Hope this helps!

That's amazing, thanks so much for taking this on! I could be wrong but I think that historically the person who takes this on always matches!

Thanks

Did you see Dr. Self's latest e-mail? This is what she said:

Good morning all,

The applicant portal has been restored. We will be discussing how to help those who were impacted by the outage and may have missed deadlines as a result, but I wanted to promptly disseminate notification that the portal is functional.

Mariella
AAPI Online Coordinator

empathiosis --you have been so good with our externship threads.. but totally understandable :). Hopefully someone feels like they have some time.. any takers??

Hey, thanks so much for noticing! I really enjoyed running those threads, but internship is just a whole different order of magnitude and I didn't think I'd be able to keep up!

I'm pretty sure it's midnight for most sites.

I would not be too sure about this. I've heard it is 5 p.m. or earlier for some sites, and as early as 11 a.m. for others. The only way to be sure of not missing a deadline is to submit the day before it's due, if possible.

That's amazing, thanks so much for taking this on! I could be wrong but I think that historically the person who takes this on always matches!
Haha!! Perhaps it is APPIC karma? ;)

Based on my understanding, it is really up to the sites. It may not hurt to email the training directors at those sites to see if they would be willing to still accept the applications. Perhaps even attach your materials (cover letter, essays, CV). The worst they could say is no.

When I was able to access the portal this morning, the sites were still open (didnt show as closed). So i turned in those apps lol. I usually submit the day before, just got tired on Sunday after submitting other apps.

This is Dr. Self's latest e-mail, which you may have already seen by now:

Good morning all,

Mariella
AAPI Online Coordinator

Didnt see the email...yet?

Thank you though :)

Hi everyone. I'm just wondering....how many sites did everyone apply to? I've read the APPIC stats about the relationship between # of apps and % matched. But I'm just curious as to what the reality is here. I apologize in advance if this is a nosy question. I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing. Thank you!

Hi everyone. I'm just wondering....how many sites did everyone apply to? I've read the APPIC stats about the relationship between # of apps and % matched. But I'm just curious as to what the reality is here. I apologize in advance if this is a nosy question. I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing. Thank you!

17 for me!

I will also add that my program actively discouraged us from applying to more than 15.

Last edited:
I applied to 20.

I applied to 16

I applied to 25 with the caveat that I did not match last year and am again competing with a cohort member where we overlap on 10 sites. My program also discouraged us from applying to more than 16

I applied to 25 too. I see that most people apply to less but my school isn't the best and I really really really want a shot here. I've been working so damn hard! We all have dammit! :)

Hi all,

Has there been an update on what to do about the applications that were due on the 2nd but couldn't be submitted because the portal was down? I didn't submit them on the 3rd because of the message posted above by Dr. Self, but haven't received any information since then other than the breaking news email where one site specifically stated they were extending their deadline by one day because of the problems on the online portal.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Has there been an update on what to do about the applications that were due on the 2nd but couldn't be submitted because the portal was down? I didn't submit them on the 3rd because of the message posted above by Dr. Self, but haven't received any information since then other than the breaking news email where one site specifically stated they were extending their deadline by one day because of the problems on the online portal.

I reached out to several training directors that night, all of whom were very understanding. Their deadline extensions have since passed (i.e., the latest one was extended by a full day), though I am only speaking for three particular sites.

I'm afraid to ask how much it costs to submit to 25

15, maybe 17. The two I am undecided about are due later in the cycle so I have some time to mull it over.

To 123EW: A LOT!!!!!!!! I'm consider it a lifetime investment. Please don't judge :/