2015-2016 APPIC Internship Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have 6 too. We can match with that! Most of the folks in my program have had 10+ this year and I definitely did not envy all the traveling they had to do.

I've personally seen folks in my program match with 1-3 interviews and not match with 10+. And everyone was usually fine by Phase II regardless. Of course, having more feels "safer" but I think my travel schedule may have affected how I performed during interviews. Probably not enough to make a real difference in my status but I definitely wasn't at my best.

Members don't see this ad.

Weren't the current stats from Greg Keilin indicating that the number of applicants and the number of slots is almost even this year? You guys are in a SUPER great position of matching in the first round if this is the case. This is really the ideal year to be applying to internship because of the near-balance and because of the major changes next year. Of course it's natural to worry about matching (and obviously the frustrating unknown of "Where the hell am I going to live in 6 months?"), but remember the reality of it. I'm actually kind of jealous you all have such an open field this year! (Disclaimer: If I am totally wrong about this fact, then forgive me because I'm not as up-to-date on things now that I'm no longer an applicant. *doh*)

Reactions: 5 users
Weren't the current stats from Greg Keilin indicating that the number of applicants and the number of slots is almost even this year? You guys are in a SUPER great position of matching in the first round if this is the case. This is really the ideal year to be applying to internship because of the near-balance and because of the major changes next year. Of course it's natural to worry about matching (and obviously the frustrating unknown of "Where the hell am I going to live in 6 months?"), but remember the reality of it. I'm actually kind of jealous you all have such an open field this year! (Disclaimer: If I am totally wrong about this fact, then forgive me because I'm not as up-to-date on things now that I'm no longer an applicant. *doh*)

You are correct and thanks for your encouragement. I believe there is still an imbalance when you consider only APA/CPA accredited spots vs applicants but the rates improved over past years for sure.

Though I am curious about this turn of events, is it partly due to some applicants not entering the match but going outside APPIC to secure non-member internships? Time will tell but I expect great things for all at SDN this February!

Members don't see this ad :)

Last I read, this accurate for the total amount of positions but an incredibly large discrepancy for accredited positions remains. Many students either do not wish to and/or are not permitted to consider unaccredited sites. While the imbalance does appear to be improving, the impact of this increase is negligible for many applicants, to the tune of 2,956 positions vs. 3,940 applicants.

Reactions: 1 users
Could anyone update me on this new change y'all are referring to?

Last I read, this accurate for the total amount of positions but an incredibly large discrepancy for accredited positions remains. Many students either do not wish to and/or are not permitted to consider unaccredited sites. While the imbalance does appear to be improving, the impact of this increase is negligible for many applicants, to the tune of 2,956 positions vs. 3,940 applicants.
Good point! I didn't really think about that, but you're right, that's still an imbalance.

I submitted my rank and I am happy with what I've submitted. I absolutely LOVED my first choice site and really hope I get it, but I'm OK with any of the first 5. I've left my #6 on my list, but given that there is an 80% chance of getting your top 3, I'm really hoping I don't get #6. What are you all doing to deal with the wait? Sure, there's work, writing, dissertation, etc. But what else??? We have 24 days left before we find out and I'm feeling very, very anxious.

Anyone in the other end only have a few sites to rank and feeling nervous?
Yes, I have only three to rank and I am definitely feeling nervous, especially because I feel like I am great match for only one of them and it's not one I particularly want to be at. I don't have anything profound to say, I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone!

Reactions: 1 user
Wow, I think we are psychic twins. I had the exact same experience. A lot of my "top tier" sites were when I was exhausted from travel and interviewing at other sites, it would have been different if it could have arranged my schedule. And my credit card is at an all time high.
Haha - I feel that way too! I hope we meet one day, Hamsterpants! :)

Yes, I have only three to rank and I am definitely feeling nervous, especially because I feel like I am great match for only one of them and it's not one I particularly want to be at. I don't have anything profound to say, I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone!

I also only have 3 to rank. One great match in good location, one good match in better location that's far away, and one okay match in worst location that happens to be close to home. I think I'm gonna rank based on fit. But location keeps me swaying back and forth.

Any thoughts on how heavily TD interview rankings are versus other psychologist rankings at the site? For example, if an intern did well in all interviews at a site, except the one with the TD.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any thoughts on sites with a strong national reputation vs. sites that are much less well-known, maybe more recently accredited? Does it matter (aside from post-doc connections)?

I submitted my rank and I am happy with what I've submitted. I absolutely LOVED my first choice site and really hope I get it, but I'm OK with any of the first 5. I've left my #6 on my list, but given that there is an 80% chance of getting your top 3, I'm really hoping I don't get #6. What are you all doing to deal with the wait? Sure, there's work, writing, dissertation, etc. But what else??? We have 24 days left before we find out and I'm feeling very, very anxious.

Think I might take a stiff drink, for starters. You know what kind of day it was? It was the kind of day in which you share your top site with your *advisor*, and he's like, "bro, good luck with that, your odds are astronomically small." Yeah, it was that kind of day :|!

Does anyone else feel that they really didn't knock any interviews out of the ball park? I am so neurotic.
Perfect is boring. Sites want "enjoyable smart human." I think it's probably very unappealing when applicants are super polished robots that are interview superstars. There are definitely examples I've heard where students who matched at a site were great in the interview but not so good once they finally got there. And at least with my site, the faculty are not necessarily looking for "right" answers all the time but are more interested in your thought process in getting there, your level of self-awareness and reflection, and your openness to feedback. One can certainly demonstrate those qualities (plus likability) without having stunning, A+ answers to every question. So, you may have done better than you think!

Think I might take a stiff drink, for starters. You know what kind of day it was? It was the kind of day in which you share your top site with your *advisor*, and he's like, "bro, good luck with that, your odds are astronomically small." Yeah, it was that kind of day :|!

Damn. I can just offer this reframe:
cOZs9Fd.jpg

Reactions: 9 users
Damn. I can just offer this reframe:
cOZs9Fd.jpg

Ha, YES!! But in all honesty, it is a highly competitive site, but I *have* to presume that it would *not* have invited me to interview if it hadn't considered me to be as reasonable of a contender as anyone else. I don't consider myself to be particularly great, rather middle-of-the-road, in fact, but I doubt that the TD looked at my application and thought, "pfff, why not bring this goober in for a chuckle, do him a favor." And the interview(s) went well, folks seemed quite encouraging! At any rate, I've met my neuroses quota for the day, ugh. I ran into another faculty member earlier in the week, and he asked about interviews. He literally said, "How did a guy like you get [x] interviews?" I'm 70% certain that he was joking, but I'm noticing a theme, here. :D

Reactions: 3 users
I'm sorry. I think advisors should just be nice during this stressful time, even if they think it's a long-shot. BUT you got an interview there!!! They saw something in you they loved and wanted to meet you!!

To carry my neurosis forward: obviously, APPIC doesn't look favorably on sites showing their cards to applicants (i.e., "we'd love to see you here *wink-wink*"). That said, it evidently happens. My question is (and give it to me straight, lol): if a site *hasn't* given you such transparent encouragement, does it indicate that you've under-performed in some capacity or else are not considered a high-value applicant?

To carry my neurosis forward: obviously, APPIC doesn't look favorably on sites showing their cards to applicants (i.e., "we'd love to see you here *wink-wink*"). That said, it evidently happens. My question is (and give it to me straight, lol): if a site *hasn't* given you such transparent encouragement, does it indicate that you've under-performed in some capacity or else are not considered a high-value applicant?

No, if they don't send you anything, it doesn't mean anything. Also, some of the messages "thanks for coming, it was great to get a chance to meet you, etc etc" are just boilerplate messages that applicants read way too much into.

Reactions: 4 users
No, if they don't send you anything, it doesn't mean anything. Also, some of the messages "thanks for coming, it was great to get a chance to meet you, etc etc" are just boilerplate messages that applicants read way too much into.

in NYC for externship, they ban thank you notes both ways. part of me wishes they would do the same for internship, though i know that would be hard to police, especially since some applicants to legitimately have follow up questions a few days/weeks after the fact, especially closer to rankings. just my opinion, feel free to disagree.

in NYC for externship, they ban thank you notes both ways. part of me wishes they would do the same for internship, though i know that would be hard to police, especially since some applicants to legitimately have follow up questions a few days/weeks after the fact, especially closer to rankings. just my opinion, feel free to disagree.

I think there's a difference between a thank you just to be polite and show interest and actually having questions. I think most TD's welcome questions, even following externship interviews.

Anyone in the other end only have a few sites to rank and feeling nervous?

i met an intern who only applied to Two places and got an internship, while i interviewed at 7 and got no internship (i literally bombed all my interviews [thinking back on them] and ranked based on location, not fit). This process isn't ideal. I know friends that are super great students get no interviews based on whatever reasons.

At the end of the day, you tried your best and thats all that matters. Matching is great, but not matching happens. It is not the end of the world. I took an extra year, became more competitive and got interviews at sites I couldn't have dreamed of the year prior.

More importantly, the personal growth and change I experienced from my extra year was awesome.

Reactions: 2 users
Last interview tomorrow, so excited. Its a site ranked low on my list, but I am just glad to get the process over with.

Although I may have a phone interview next week, the TD is super sketch. Its the last site in my rankings.

I was most nervous about interviewing only with SOME faculty members, and knowing that the rest of important ones are busy or out sick/vacation/etc. That is, knowing that you were previously scheduled to interview with them, and then getting to the site and learning they're no longer available...

Last year I was debating between two sites for my top choice and my advisor actually recommended that I put one of the sites second because (something along the lines of) the site was very prestigious and I probably wouldn't match there. I ended up putting that site as second in rankings and matched there! It worked out great, I absolutely love my internship and could not imagine having matched elsewhere. At the end of the day you went to all the interviews, you got a feel for the sites, and you know best what is going to be (or not be) a great fit. Rank what feels right for you, not where your advisor thinks you may or may not match to :)

Reactions: 6 users
i met an intern who only applied to Two places and got an internship, while i interviewed at 7 and got no internship (i literally bombed all my interviews [thinking back on them] and ranked based on location, not fit). This process isn't ideal. I know friends that are super great students get no interviews based on whatever reasons.

At the end of the day, you tried your best and thats all that matters. Matching is great, but not matching happens. It is not the end of the world. I took an extra year, became more competitive and got interviews at sites I couldn't have dreamed of the year prior.

More importantly, the personal growth and change I experienced from my extra year was awesome.

This fits with my experience of some of those who didn't match. A good friend of mine did not match (much to our surprise) and was able to do amazing things this past year and has done exceptionally well in the current process. It was a great reminder that life does not end on February 19th and in fact it can allow for some really wonderful life experience.

All that being said, I am probably going to continue to be anxious and will be quite upset if I don't match.

Are sites able to rank us without our match #'s? I started applying before getting a match number. I'd assume sites would be able to look us up/rank us without that info. But have gotten email from two sites asking for my number. :/

Question for all:

Went to a UCC's open house recently and three of the applicants were students at the university, with a couple of them currently doing practicums at the site. One of the current interns was also from the university.

Thing is, this really put me off. I can't really explain why, but I just found it irritating. Am I over-reacting here? I feel like I am.

When I was on internship two of our practicum students applied and matched. We only had one student match who was not already familiar with the program. The next year one of the practicum students matched.

However, they did not have to go through any of the interviews or open houses as the staff already knew them. I knew the three practicum students and they were all hoping to match elsewhere.

Seems that there would be a requirement to do your internship at a different site than your practicum. However, it was an easier transition for the staff regarding less orientation time, since practicum students and interns go through same orientation. Additionally those three students did their postdocs there and ended up working at the site full time.

A number of sites use the internship experience for recruiting of staff.

Are sites able to rank us without our match #'s? I started applying before getting a match number. I'd assume sites would be able to look us up/rank us without that info. But have gotten email from two sites asking for my number. :/

They need you number and will not be able to rank you without it. It's a unique number that identifies you, in the same way that each site has a unique identifier that we needed to add to rank them. Be sure to add your # to your APPI. I think it's still not too late. site.

They need you number and will not be able to rank you without it. It's a unique number that identifies you, in the same way that each site has a unique identifier that we needed to add to rank them. Be sure to add your # to your APPI. I think it's still not too late. site.

this is what is posted

"While it can be helpful for programs to have your Applicant Code Number included in your AAPI, this is not required as there will be other opportunities for you to provide your Applicant Code Number to programs, and there are also other ways in which programs can obtain your Applicant Code Number for the Match."

I hope sites don't get lazy and say "he didn't put his number on his app, wouldnt be fair to the other applicants that did, **** it, we not ranking him"

lol

this is what is posted

"While it can be helpful for programs to have your Applicant Code Number included in your AAPI, this is not required as there will be other opportunities for you to provide your Applicant Code Number to programs, and there are also other ways in which programs can obtain your Applicant Code Number for the Match."

I hope sites don't get lazy and say "he didn't put his number on his app, wouldnt be fair to the other applicants that did, **** it, we not ranking him"

lol

If I were you, I would contact all of the sites that I wanted to rank and provide them with my number. In a process as competitive as this, why would you want to give them any excuse to disqualify you? Why take any chances?

Does anyone know why it takes so long between the ranking deadline and match day? I feel like it couldn't possibly take three weeks for the matching algorithm to be run. The waiting is painful.

Does anyone know why it takes so long between the ranking deadline and match day? I feel like it couldn't possibly take three weeks for the matching algorithm to be run. The waiting is painful.

This is an e-mail that Greg sent out 3 years ago I think and was pasted into a post 2 years ago. I'm sure all of this still applies.

Subject: The Waiting Game

Now that the frenzy of applying, interviewing, and ranking is over, applicants and programs face one of the most challenging parts of this process: Waiting for the Match results.

We very much understand that waiting can be extremely stressful, and APPIC and NMS have done everything possible to minimize the amount of time that applicants and programs must wait for their results.

One of the most frequently asked questions that APPIC receives at this point is, "Why do we have to wait two weeks to get our results?". This e-mail provides details about what happens during this time.

Basically, NMS is extremely busy throughout this period, providing extensive checking and re-checking of the data to ensure the accuracy and integrity of the Match results. For example:

1. NMS works very hard to ensure that no one "falls through the cracks" in the process. They do their best to see that each of the more than 4,000 applicants and 700 internship sites have submitted either a Rank Order List or a formal withdrawal from the Match. They attempt to contact Training Directors and applicants from whom they are expecting a response, but who have not submitted either a Rank Order List or a withdrawal.

2. There are a significant number of sites with very complex requirements that must submit their Rank Order Lists to NMS on paper. Each of these paper submissions must be reviewed and analyzed to ensure they have been prepared correctly, then entered and carefully proof-read (twice) by NMS staff. Each year, NMS contacts a significant number of Training Directors to ensure that their Rank Order Lists accurately reflect their preferences.

3. Once all rankings have been successfully entered and proofed, NMS performs a number of integrity checks on this data. These checks allow them to identify potential inconsistencies in rankings between lists submitted by applicants and those submitted by programs (e.g., applicants ranking the wrong program at a site, programs ranking the wrong applicant). They are able to catch some (but not all) errors made by sites and applicants, and it does take a significant amount of time to reach these participants to follow-up, verify, and correct these mistakes. Training Directors and applicants are generally busy and can be very difficult to reach (if you receive a call or e-mail from NMS in the coming days, PLEASE RESPOND IMMEDIATELY).

4. Once the Match has been run, another set of integrity checks are conducted by the NMS staff to ensure that the Match has been processed correctly, and that every applicant and every training program has received the best possible match.

5. Then, the results must be prepared for distribution via the various methods available (e-mail, web, and fax).

6. An additional set of tasks are the preparations that must be made for Phase II of the Match. These tasks include generating a master list of unfilled positions and providing information to the AAPI Online Service that will allow unmatched applicants and Training Directors at programs with unfilled positions to participate in Phase II (which begins immediately after the release of the Phase I results).

This is only a partial list of NMS' activities during this period. And, they are able to do all of this in an amount of time that is equal to or less than that of other matching programs of comparable (or even smaller) size in other professions.

This is the 15th year that NMS has conducted the APPIC Match, and we continue to rely upon their thoroughness, attention to detail, and commitment to accuracy. While the next few weeks may require what seems like an extraordinary amount of patience, we hope that you can appreciate the importance of allowing NMS the time to get the job done accurately.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

If I were you, I would contact all of the sites that I wanted to rank and provide them with my number. In a process as competitive as this, why would you want to give them any excuse to disqualify you? Why take any chances?

I'll speak with my advisor about it.

From everything I heard/read it shouldn't be that big of a deal and WAS NOT required at the time applications were due. NMS Email instructions from Greg says sites can easily pull that information themselves, but I understand your point.

Although the emails I received asking for my code came from the admin to the TD's. I am assuming they cant access the ranking site. Any clinical training directors want to weigh in on this?

****!!!

Last edited:
Last year I was debating between two sites for my top choice and my advisor actually recommended that I put one of the sites second because (something along the lines of) the site was very prestigious and I probably wouldn't match there. I ended up putting that site as second in rankings and matched there! It worked out great, I absolutely love my internship and could not imagine having matched elsewhere. At the end of the day you went to all the interviews, you got a feel for the sites, and you know best what is going to be (or not be) a great fit. Rank what feels right for you, not where your advisor thinks you may or may not match to :)
First - I'm happy you love your internship! Seems like things tend to work out for the best. Second - your advisor's advice confuses me. I thought we're really meant to rank based on our preference, not on the prestige of the site or the perceived competition for spots? What would have been the difference in putting this site first? My sister (not in this profession) keeps giving me similar advice, and I don't understand it!

I'll speak with my advisor about it.

From everything I heard/read it shouldn't be that big of a deal and WAS NOT required at the time applications were due. NMS Email instructions from Greg says sites can easily pull that information themselves, but I understand your point.

Although the emails I received asking for my code came from the admin to the TD's. I am assuming they cant access the ranking site. Any clinical training directors want to weigh in on this?

****!!!

I had a training director say specifically at an interview that the system allows them to search for applicants by name so there was no need to worry about the match number if it wasn't there at the time of application. It also appears they have a way of checking back to pull down your application if needed to see your match number if you added it after they offered the interview.

I had a training director say specifically at an interview that the system allows them to search for applicants by name so there was no need to worry about the match number if it wasn't there at the time of application. It also appears they have a way of checking back to pull down your application if needed to see your match number if you added it after they offered the interview.
Yeah, I would agree that there's no need to worry about it. If a site wants you, a site wants you. I have a really hard time seeing TDs thinking "Well, we really wanted to rank this person but we don't have the info we need, so that person is just out of the running all together." If someone has contacted you specifically asking for the number, then by all means, reply and help them out. But otherwise, there's nothing else you need to do.

If you read the FAQ on the NMS webpage, internship programs can search for you by first and last name or by your unique number. So it shouldn't be a problem for them not to have your number unless you have a super common name (Jane Smith or something like that). If you do have an incredibly common first and last name combo, maybe then it might make sense to reach out to them, but if not, you should be fine.

Yeah, I would agree that there's no need to worry about it. If a site wants you, a site wants you. I have a really hard time seeing TDs thinking "Well, we really wanted to rank this person but we don't have the info we need, so that person is just out of the running all together." If someone has contacted you specifically asking for the number, then by all means, reply and help them out. But otherwise, there's nothing else you need to do.

I think so too.

My advisor said to check with NMS just incase to make sure my info is accessible/correct just to be safe.

Sidenote* Idk if you guys are simpsons fans, but my line about not being fair to the other applicants is from an episode of theirs. UP AND ATOM! :p

The info I was referring to is here: https://www.natmatch.com/psychint/progfaq.html. Also, there's a master list of applicants that includes your school, so even if you do have a very common name (Jane Smith or something) as long as there's not another Jane Smith at your school or at a similar sounding school, you should be ok.

And here's the text from the relevant FAQ:

What if I don't know an applicant's Code Number?

There are three sources you can use to obtain the Code Number for an applicant you wish to rank.

You can obtain the applicant Code Number from the List of Registered Applicants that is available in the NMS Match System. This List will be updated as additional applicants register for the Match; therefore, you should consult the List before finalizing your Rank Order List(s). If you wish to rank an applicant who does not appear in the List, contact the applicant and encourage him or her to register for the Match as soon as possible, before the Rank Order List deadline for Phase I of the Match. The applicant will then be assigned an applicant Code Number, will be added to the List, and will be instructed to inform you of his or her applicant Code Number for inclusion on your program Rank Order List(s).

In addition, while entering your Rank Order List into the NMS Match System, you can also search for registered applicants by first or last name.

Finally, you can obtain a Match Code Number directly from the applicant. In particular, if you are ranking an applicant whose name is similar to another applicant's name in the List of Registered Applicants, you should check with the applicant directly to ensure you are using the correct 5-digit Match Code Number for the applicant you wish to rank.

Applicants who do not register for the Match by February 3, 2016 will not be eligible to participate in either Phase of the Match. Furthermore, applicants who match to a position in Phase I of the Match will not be eligible to participate in Phase II of the Match; these applicants will be removed from the List of Registered Applicants and from the search in the rankings section of the NMS Match System for Phase II of the Match.

Hi Everyone,

I am really struggling with ranking sites 4 and 5. Sites 1 through 3 are easy. However, they are highly competitive and so I am worried it might come down to sites 4 and 5 as the most important for me and the one's I will likely get. One of those sites I did not love, but it is APA accredited. The other site I liked a lot, but it is an unaccredited VAMC site. Can someone please tell me, what doors will it really close if I end up at an unaccredited Internship site that is a VAMC? From what I can tell, it will not close doors for a VA post-doc, but it will close doors for other types of post-docs. Is that it? Or are there other issues I need to worry about??

Hi Everyone,

I am really struggling with ranking sites 4 and 5. Sites 1 through 3 are easy. However, they are highly competitive and so I am worried it might come down to sites 4 and 5 as the most important for me and the one's I will likely get. One of those sites I did not love, but it is APA accredited. The other site I liked a lot, but it is an unaccredited VAMC site. Can someone please tell me, what doors will it really close if I end up at an unaccredited Internship site that is a VAMC? From what I can tell, it will not close doors for a VA post-doc, but it will close doors for other types of post-docs. Is that it? Or are there other issues I need to worry about??
I can't speak definitively but I know when you go for a VA job they specifically check if your internship was APA accredited. If it was a VA maybe they let it slide, but perhaps others could answer better. Interns and postdocs at a VA are considered differently than a psychologist they credential before hiring.

Other jobs in goverment or AMCs (and others) will simply care about it being APA accredited. So it could close doors.

Hi Everyone,

Also, make sure you know your school's requirements - my program requires we go to an accredited internship site unless we go through two matches (e.g., don't match two times in a row to an accredited site), in which case they'll let you do an unaccredited site. I also feel like the relative importance of an accredited site will vary based on your career goals - if you want to go into private practice, maybe not as crucial (just make sure to document all your work on internship so you have it for licensure), but more of a big deal if you're looking at applying to postdocs.

I hope everyone is holding up in these last few days of ranking. I know I will be relieved when this process is finally out of my hands and in the hopefully capable hands of the Match Gods :bow:

I'm curious how people with significant others are faring during the list-making. My partner has been extremely gracious throughout graduate school in terms of making sacrifices for my career. Fortunately, we were in sync for my #1 and 2 ranked sites but have pulled a site that was quite a few rankings lower for me personally up into the #3 site in the interest of my partner's career. Fortunately, as I loved many of my sites, I think I would be quite happy at this site and absolutely think this is the right thing to do, but it is still a little hard seeing that site above others that I liked a bit more. Anyone else having a similar experience?

I hope everyone is holding up in these last few days of ranking. I know I will be relieved when this process is finally out of my hands and in the hopefully capable hands of the Match Gods :bow:

I'm curious how people with significant others are faring during the list-making. My partner has been extremely gracious throughout graduate school in terms of making sacrifices for my career. Fortunately, we were in sync for my #1 and 2 ranked sites but have pulled a site that was quite a few rankings lower for me personally up into the #3 site in the interest of my partner's career. Fortunately, as I loved many of my sites, I think I would be quite happy at this site and absolutely think this is the right thing to do, but it is still a little hard seeing that site above others that I liked a bit more. Anyone else having a similar experience?

It's been a source of great contention and she's also been supportive. It's not an easy process especially since it's only for a year.

My SO and I are a bit at odds. We agree on my third ranked site but have opposite #1 and #2. My first choice is a better fit program while his first choice is more livable (in terms of the kind of city we want to live in ultimately). If I were you I'd definitely do the same thing you did with your third choice favoring your partner. But since mine are higher up the list I think I need prioritize fit :/

Is/would anyone recommend de-prioritizing fit in favor of livability? (It's hard to think that way since through this entire process all we hear is fit fit fit)

I can't speak definitively but I know when you go for a VA job they specifically check if your internship was APA accredited. If it was a VA maybe they let it slide, but perhaps others could answer better. Interns and postdocs at a VA are considered differently than a psychologist they credential before hiring.

Other jobs in goverment or AMCs (and others) will simply care about it being APA accredited. So it could close doors.

Its not that they let it slide, it's a formally written regulation that all new VA internships that are not yet APA accredited are deemed as satisfactory for purposes of VA employment and post-doc. This should really be more widely disseminated so that it's well known by graduate faculty and students.

http://www.psychologytraining.va.gov/eligibility.asp

ADDITIONAL ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA POSTDOCTORAL FELLOWSHIP

Postdoctoral fellowship applicants also must meet the following criteria to be considered for any VA Psychology Postdoctoral Program:

1. Have received a Doctorate from an APA-accredited graduate program in Clinical or Counseling Psychology. Persons with a doctorate in another area of psychology who meet the APA criteria for respecialization training in Clinical or Counseling Psychology are also eligible.
  2. Have completed an internship program accredited by the APA Commission on Accreditation or have completed a VA-sponsored internship.

ELIGIBILITY FOR VA EMPLOYMENT
To be eligible for employment as a VA Psychologist, a person must be a U.S. citizen and must have completed an APA-accredited graduate program in Clinical or Counseling psychology AND must have completed an APA-accredited internship in Psychology, with the emphasis area of the degree consistent with the assignment for which the applicant is to be employed. The only exception is for those who complete a new VA internship that is not yet accredited.

Last edited: