2015-2016 APPIC Internship Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I hope everyone is holding up in these last few days of ranking. I know I will be relieved when this process is finally out of my hands and in the hopefully capable hands of the Match Gods :bow:

I'm curious how people with significant others are faring during the list-making. My partner has been extremely gracious throughout graduate school in terms of making sacrifices for my career. Fortunately, we were in sync for my #1 and 2 ranked sites but have pulled a site that was quite a few rankings lower for me personally up into the #3 site in the interest of my partner's career. Fortunately, as I loved many of my sites, I think I would be quite happy at this site and absolutely think this is the right thing to do, but it is still a little hard seeing that site above others that I liked a bit more. Anyone else having a similar experience?

My fiance has been unbelievably supportive. He took a 'gap year'/is working for a year between his MSc and hopefully starting his PhD in September, which actually meant he had to apply for PhD programs in all the cities I got interviews in... so in some ways it ended up being a blessing that I only got 5 interviews! It was always understood that I would make decisions based on fit, but only my #1 and #2 are actually good fits for me, and #s 3-5 are all kind of a wash in terms of fit... so he decided the order of those bottom three.

This process would be hard without a partner who 'gets it' on some level. I feel very lucky.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Its not that they let it slide, it a formally written regulation that all new VA internships that are not yet APA accredited are deemed as satisfactory for purposes of VA employment and post-doc. This should really be more widely disseminated so that it well known by graduate faculty and students.

http://www.psychologytraining.va.gov/eligibility.asp

ADDITIONAL ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA POSTDOCTORAL FELLOWSHIP

Postdoctoral fellowship applicants also must meet the following criteria to be considered for any VA Psychology Postdoctoral Program:

1. Have received a Doctorate from an APA-accredited graduate program in Clinical or Counseling Psychology. Persons with a doctorate in another area of psychology who meet the APA criteria for respecialization training in Clinical or Counseling Psychology are also eligible.
  2. Have completed an internship program accredited by the APA Commission on Accreditation or have completed a VA-sponsored internship.

ELIGIBILITY FOR VA EMPLOYMENT
To be eligible for employment as a VA Psychologist, a person must be a U.S. citizen and must have completed an APA-accredited graduate program in Clinical or Counseling psychology AND must have completed an APA-accredited internship in Psychology, with the emphasis area of the degree consistent with the assignment for which the applicant is to be employed. The only exception is for those who complete a new VA internship that is not yet accredited.
Let it slide was a short way of saying there was perhaps some longwinded beurocratic policy out there somewhere. Thanks for clarifying that.

Let it slide was a short way of saying there was perhaps some longwinded beurocratic policy out there somewhere. Thanks for clarifying that.

I can never spell beurocratic right either, and I am one. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
This is an e-mail that Greg sent out 3 years ago I think and was pasted into a post 2 years ago. I'm sure all of this still applies.

Subject: The Waiting Game

Now that the frenzy of applying, interviewing, and ranking is over, applicants and programs face one of the most challenging parts of this process: Waiting for the Match results.

We very much understand that waiting can be extremely stressful, and APPIC and NMS have done everything possible to minimize the amount of time that applicants and programs must wait for their results.

One of the most frequently asked questions that APPIC receives at this point is, "Why do we have to wait two weeks to get our results?". This e-mail provides details about what happens during this time.

Basically, NMS is extremely busy throughout this period, providing extensive checking and re-checking of the data to ensure the accuracy and integrity of the Match results. For example:

1. NMS works very hard to ensure that no one "falls through the cracks" in the process. They do their best to see that each of the more than 4,000 applicants and 700 internship sites have submitted either a Rank Order List or a formal withdrawal from the Match. They attempt to contact Training Directors and applicants from whom they are expecting a response, but who have not submitted either a Rank Order List or a withdrawal.

2. There are a significant number of sites with very complex requirements that must submit their Rank Order Lists to NMS on paper. Each of these paper submissions must be reviewed and analyzed to ensure they have been prepared correctly, then entered and carefully proof-read (twice) by NMS staff. Each year, NMS contacts a significant number of Training Directors to ensure that their Rank Order Lists accurately reflect their preferences.

3. Once all rankings have been successfully entered and proofed, NMS performs a number of integrity checks on this data. These checks allow them to identify potential inconsistencies in rankings between lists submitted by applicants and those submitted by programs (e.g., applicants ranking the wrong program at a site, programs ranking the wrong applicant). They are able to catch some (but not all) errors made by sites and applicants, and it does take a significant amount of time to reach these participants to follow-up, verify, and correct these mistakes. Training Directors and applicants are generally busy and can be very difficult to reach (if you receive a call or e-mail from NMS in the coming days, PLEASE RESPOND IMMEDIATELY).

4. Once the Match has been run, another set of integrity checks are conducted by the NMS staff to ensure that the Match has been processed correctly, and that every applicant and every training program has received the best possible match.

5. Then, the results must be prepared for distribution via the various methods available (e-mail, web, and fax).

6. An additional set of tasks are the preparations that must be made for Phase II of the Match. These tasks include generating a master list of unfilled positions and providing information to the AAPI Online Service that will allow unmatched applicants and Training Directors at programs with unfilled positions to participate in Phase II (which begins immediately after the release of the Phase I results).

This is only a partial list of NMS' activities during this period. And, they are able to do all of this in an amount of time that is equal to or less than that of other matching programs of comparable (or even smaller) size in other professions.

This is the 15th year that NMS has conducted the APPIC Match, and we continue to rely upon their thoroughness, attention to detail, and commitment to accuracy. While the next few weeks may require what seems like an extraordinary amount of patience, we hope that you can appreciate the importance of allowing NMS the time to get the job done accurately.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Thank you. That helps.

I hope everyone is holding up in these last few days of ranking. I know I will be relieved when this process is finally out of my hands and in the hopefully capable hands of the Match Gods :bow:

I'm curious how people with significant others are faring during the list-making. My partner has been extremely gracious throughout graduate school in terms of making sacrifices for my career. Fortunately, we were in sync for my #1 and 2 ranked sites but have pulled a site that was quite a few rankings lower for me personally up into the #3 site in the interest of my partner's career. Fortunately, as I loved many of my sites, I think I would be quite happy at this site and absolutely think this is the right thing to do, but it is still a little hard seeing that site above others that I liked a bit more. Anyone else having a similar experience?

I'm in a unique spot as my husband cannot (under any circumstances) move from his job (very long story). There were no places that fit with my future career path even remotely close to where he is so I applied to several places that range from a 4.5 hour drive to a 3+ hour plane flight. With that said, he will have a ton of vacation stored the year I'm away (30+ days) that he has to take before he leaves his job. In the end, I was lucky; he was EXTREMELY supportive and let me rank the sites that would be best for my career, which included my #1 and #2 as the furthest places away from him (i.e., he would have to take a plane). In the end, I let him have the tiebreaker for sites that I couldn't make up my mind for, which ended up working out really well (and I now feel better about those spots). It is hard having to decide where you will go when you have a partner. You have to balance your relationship against a million other things. We both came to the conclusion that I've already invested so much time that it makes more sense to go to a place that will be better for my future career than to be closer geographically for one year. I'm lucky that my husband is flexible and that we will end up in the same place after internship. Not everyone has that luxury and my heart goes out to anyone who is having to make these incredibly difficult decisions.

Reactions: 2 users
Is/would anyone recommend de-prioritizing fit in favor of livability? (It's hard to think that way since through this entire process all we hear is fit fit fit)

You seemed to imply that you might want to stay in the more livable city after internship. If so, then one advantage of going there is that you could get to know the community and the postdoc/job market there ahead of time. But if your plan is to leave after one year I'd say tough it out if it helps your career.

Ah, guys, it's so hard. I wish everyone struggling with their match decisions the best of luck in determining balance between professional/ personal and heart/mind. Is it Feb 19th yet?

Reactions: 4 users
Do you recommend responding to emails from sites confirming that they are ranking you? If so, do you just say thanks for letting me know? Do you tell them that you're ranking them?

Do you recommend responding to emails from sites confirming that they are ranking you? If so, do you just say thanks for letting me know? Do you tell them that you're ranking them?

That is...super weird. Like, WAY in violation of APPIC policies. They are not supposed to solicit or offer any ranking related information, and that includes whether or not they rank you (even if they don't specify where on the list they'll rank you). I think you should definitely NOT tell them you are ranking them, because that is also in violation of APPIC policies, and you don't want to get in trouble if **** hits the fan. I would say something noncommittal along the lines of "Thank you so much for the information! This is very helpful. I really enjoyed getting to meet you/learn more about the site/blah blah blah. Best, SLB-CO". Or just ignore.

My husband is about to finish his graduate program (not in clinical psych, thankfully, so no match!) and needs to find a postdoc. So we talked a lot about what sites I would apply to that were in cities with decent postdoc options for him. We have a clear front-runner (in terms of a city where he already has an offer) and so that helped with my top rankings (they're also good sites for me), but then the less exciting/less great fit sites lower on the list were harder. He's very supportive and willing to go wherever I think will be best for my career, but we both really don't want to move again (his postdocs are typically 2-3 years, so moving after my internship for a postdoc for me would mean he'd have to either take a year off while I do internship or do a one-year postdoc and then move, which is not great). So definitely prioritizing cities with postdoc options for both of us, in the hopes that we can settle in somewhere (at least for 2-3 years!).

That is...super weird. Like, WAY in violation of APPIC policies. They are not supposed to solicit or offer any ranking related information, and that includes whether or not they rank you (even if they don't specify where on the list they'll rank you). I think you should definitely NOT tell them you are ranking them, because that is also in violation of APPIC policies, and you don't want to get in trouble if **** hits the fan. I would say something noncommittal along the lines of "Thank you so much for the information! This is very helpful. I really enjoyed getting to meet you/learn more about the site/blah blah blah. Best, SLB-CO". Or just ignore.
That's strange. I have had a lot of sites in interviews say that they are ranking all candidates they interview. I think that is super common (based on my experience and what I have heard from others) and expected - and allowed. I just thought getting emails after the fact was odd. For example, some sites said they would only contact applicants if they were NOT ranking them. Hmm. Didn't think knowing if they're being ranked or not is an issue - just where you fall on that ranking list.

Reactions: 1 user
That's strange. I have had a lot of sites in interviews say that they are ranking all candidates they interview. I think that is super common (based on my experience and what I have heard from others) and expected - and allowed. I just thought getting emails after the fact was odd. For example, some sites said they would only contact applicants if they were NOT ranking them. Hmm. Didn't think knowing if they're being ranked or not is an issue - just where you fall on that ranking list.

You're totally right! My bad! I just checked match policies and found this:

--------

Participants in the APPIC Match, including applicants and internship programs, may not communicate, solicit, accept, or use any ranking-related information pertaining to either Phase of the Match prior to the release of the results for Phase II of the Match.

1. ...
  2. Internship programs may choose to inform applicants as to whether or not the applicants remain under consideration for admission (e.g., whether or not the applicants will be ranked) but may not communicate any other ranking information. The spirit of this item precludes any communication of rankings for either Phase of the Match prior to the release of the results for Phase II of the Match, however "veiled" or indirect such communication might be. However, sites and applicants are allowed to communicate about matters that do not involve the sharing of ranking information.
---------

I would stand by my previous statement about not telling them that you're going to rank them, since it doesn't seem like that's included in the APPIC guidelines.

No.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ugh...I'm having an impossible time deleting a message lol feel free to ignore this post

Last edited:
Are sites able to add new rotations/areas of concentration/experience for tracks that are apa accredited. Or do they have to get those approved through apa first.

For example Happy Hospital has an accredited Adult Outpatient Track through 2022. They will be adding a new neuropsychology rotation for this upcoming training year. I assume that new rotation is accredited through 2022 as well?

Are sites able to add new rotations/areas of concentration/experience for tracks that are apa accredited. Or do they have to get those approved through apa first.

For example Happy Hospital has an accredited Adult Outpatient Track through 2022. They will be adding a new neuropsychology rotation for this upcoming training year. I assume that new rotation is accredited through 2022 as well?

I believe that sites are accredited, not tracks. Which means that, if a program is accredited and adds a new track, that track is accredited.

I believe that sites are accredited, not tracks. Which means that, if a program is accredited and adds a new track, that track is accredited.

Cool.

Side question, thoughts on getting gifts for recommenders? Yay or nay? If yay, any ideas?

There is a good chance I will be leaving my partner for the year. I was discussing this with someone recently and she talked about the deployment of her partner. It made going on internship sound like a walk in the park. We can fly to see each other on our weekends of choice. We can call each other at pre-arranged times instead of always having the phone around in case the other has a moment to call. We are not going to war.

Reactions: 4 users
Cool.

Side question, thoughts on getting gifts for recommenders? Yay or nay? If yay, any ideas?

I sent all my recommenders (minus my advisor) a thank you note with a small gift card to Whole Foods, since that gives them flexibility to buy some tasty food they like or wine/beer. YMMV though! I don't think a gift is necessary, but at least a thank you email would be good. You could just wait until after you match and send them an email thanking them and letting them know the outcome.

There is a good chance I will be leaving my partner for the year. I was discussing this with someone recently and she talked about the deployment of her partner. It made going on internship sound like a walk in the park. We can fly to see each other on our weekends of choice. We can call each other at pre-arranged times instead of always having the phone around in case the other has a moment to call. We are not going to war.

It's not the end of the world to do a year apart, but having done distance with my partner for about 2 years of grad school, it's tough. That's not to say other people don't have it objectively "worse" than we do, but it is hard and draining to have your support system far away. I think it's good to keep perspective (it's just a year, set finishing time, etc.) but I think it's also ok to recognize that we're asked to sacrifice a lot for our professional goals, and that can be really hard.

Its not that they let it slide, it's a formally written regulation that all new VA internships that are not yet APA accredited are deemed as satisfactory for purposes of VA employment and post-doc. This should really be more widely disseminated so that it's well known by graduate faculty and students.

http://www.psychologytraining.va.gov/eligibility.asp

ADDITIONAL ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA POSTDOCTORAL FELLOWSHIP

Postdoctoral fellowship applicants also must meet the following criteria to be considered for any VA Psychology Postdoctoral Program:

1. Have received a Doctorate from an APA-accredited graduate program in Clinical or Counseling Psychology. Persons with a doctorate in another area of psychology who meet the APA criteria for respecialization training in Clinical or Counseling Psychology are also eligible.
  2. Have completed an internship program accredited by the APA Commission on Accreditation or have completed a VA-sponsored internship.

ELIGIBILITY FOR VA EMPLOYMENT
To be eligible for employment as a VA Psychologist, a person must be a U.S. citizen and must have completed an APA-accredited graduate program in Clinical or Counseling psychology AND must have completed an APA-accredited internship in Psychology, with the emphasis area of the degree consistent with the assignment for which the applicant is to be employed. The only exception is for those who complete a new VA internship that is not yet accredited.

1) Thank you, Erg, for posting this! SO helpful!
2) I love that the VA has these wonderful policies in place that protect us as students. In my experience, there is a policy for everything at the VA and most of the time the policy can work in your favor.
3) I am worried and wondering, however, if training programs really honor this policy. For instance, I was just looking at a training brochure for a VA postdoc today that stated that candidates must have completed an APA accredited Internship.

While the VA may be all good with a non APA internship, any non VA employer still may require it. I see it all the time as a requirement for AMC positions, other government positions (e.g. County, jail), and even some corporate hospitals. If VA is your goal that is great, but there still are limits to taking an internship like that.

2) I love that the VA has these wonderful policies in place that protect us as students. In my experience, there is a policy for everything at the VA and most of the time the policy can work in your favor.
3) I am worried and wondering, however, if training programs really honor this policy. For instance, I was just looking at a training brochure for a VA postdoc today that stated that candidates must have completed an APA accredited Internship.

Training directors and service chiefs are well aware of this policy, there is no need to worry. In the unlikely event this were to be cited as an exclusion, there is more than enough written policy on the matter to have them quickly change their minds.

Pragma is correct also, however. It will no doubt exclude you from some employers (Dod, BOP, most AMCs for sure) and post-docs. In our experience, while many post-docs will be inflexible with their requirement for applicant to come from APA internship, others are willing to bend on this (at least if your are at a new VA internship) even if its in there flyer/brochure if the applicant contacts them and explains prior to submitting the app.

Last edited:
Training directors and service chiefs are well aware of this policy, there is no need to worry. In the unlikely event this were to be cited as an exclusion, there is more than enough written policy on the matter to have them quickly change their minds.

Pragma is correct also, however. It will no doubt exclude you from some other places and post-docs. In our experience, while many post-docs will be inflexible with their requirement for applicant to come from APA internship, others are willing to bend on this (at least if your are at a new VA internship) even if its in there flyer/brochure if the applicant contacts them and explains prior to submitting the app.
I wasn't even thinking about postdocs...just employment in general.

As mentioned above, the site is accredited, not individual tracks. However, if a change is being made to add a concentration/area of expertise/new track (e.g., with a new APPIC number), that sometimes requires that the program provide additional documentation to APA to have everything approved.

While the VA is great in a lot of respects, they've known about the lack of joint accreditation between APA/CPA (Canadian Psychological Association) for over 5 years, and they still haven't changed the eligibility criteria for VA internships to include American citizens coming from Canadian schools (that used to be APA accredited, and that APA recognizes as having identical accreditation through CPA). So, American citizens who go to Canadian schools are screwed when it comes to applying to VA internships, even though the VA training council has known about this change for 5 years, has said over and over again that they are interested in these students and that the policy will change, and still hasn't fixed it (end of dual accreditation just happened in September 2015). Not that I'm bitter or anything...

did anyone else get an email from UCLA/Semel today?? I'm trying to figure out if this was a broad blast to everyone they invited to their open house (n = ~100?) or more specifically aimed.

While the VA is great in a lot of respects, they've known about the lack of joint accreditation between APA/CPA (Canadian Psychological Association) for over 5 years, and they still haven't changed the eligibility criteria for VA internships to include American citizens coming from Canadian schools (that used to be APA accredited, and that APA recognizes as having identical accreditation through CPA). So, American citizens who go to Canadian schools are screwed when it comes to applying to VA internships, even though the VA training council has known about this change for 5 years, has said over and over again that they are interested in these students and that the policy will change, and still hasn't fixed it (end of dual accreditation just happened in September 2015). Not that I'm bitter or anything...

You expect the VA to something so simple take less than 10 years? How dare you, sir.

I asked for bookshelf (a ****ing bookshelf!) 2.5 years ago. I got it last week.

Reactions: 5 users
did anyone else get an email from UCLA/Semel today?? I'm trying to figure out if this was a broad blast to everyone they invited to their open house (n = ~100?) or more specifically aimed.
Two people from my program got that this afternoon (they applied to different tracks but got the same email)

Two people from my program got that this afternoon (they applied to different tracks but got the same email)

I think they might be sending to everyone they rank, so most everyone who attended the open house ?

You expect the VA to something so simple take less than 10 years? How dare you, sir.

I asked for bookshelf (a ****ing bookshelf!) 2.5 years ago. I got it last week.

Hah! Love it. Last I heard, the change has been tentatively approved but has to get approval from various unions. Luckily, I prefer sites that have opportunities to do some kid/adolescent work, so the loss of possible VA options wasn't that awful. But it's definitely annoying.

I also got this email. Was thinking about how to use this info in my rankings but it seems to be widely distributed so maybe doesn't hold much weight.

First - I'm happy you love your internship! Seems like things tend to work out for the best. Second - your advisor's advice confuses me. I thought we're really meant to rank based on our preference, not on the prestige of the site or the perceived competition for spots? What would have been the difference in putting this site first? My sister (not in this profession) keeps giving me similar advice, and I don't understand it!

I would definitely not abide by this advice. There would be no negative implication in putting that site first, even if they didn't rank me high (or at all). Sorry for the delayed response! Post doc traveling season is in full swing :)

I would definitely not abide by this advice. There would be no negative implication in putting that site first, even if they didn't rank me high (or at all). Sorry for the delayed response! Post doc traveling season is in full swing :)
Thank you so much for answering! Especially as the ranking deadline comes closer and closer. Good luck with everything postdoc!

I'm so torn between my 1 and 2 right now that I'm about to rank based on proximity to a Trader Joe's.

Reactions: 6 users
I'm so torn between my 1 and 2 right now that I'm about to rank based on proximity to a Trader Joe's.
You have no idea how much I relate with this. My 1 and 2 are so wonderful, and so different. And it just so happens TJ's is a factor for me too, maybe or maybe not for the same reasons! :) Best of luck to you, and everyone else struggling. I sincerely hope it is because they all such great fits (a good problem to have, even if it is a problem!)

You have no idea how much I relate with this. My 1 and 2 are so wonderful, and so different. And it just so happens TJ's is a factor for me too, maybe or maybe not for the same reasons! :) Best of luck to you, and everyone else struggling. I sincerely hope it is because they all such great fits (a good problem to have, even if it is a problem!)
If they are that equal than breaking the tie by the "quality of life" factor is legitimate I think, especially if you value the contextual/transactional views of how we all thrive. In some ways you are saying either would be great and my "foraging" environment matters to me too. Celebrate that you have two good options and accept that there is no "right" answer that guarantees a "perfect" outcome. And there will be welcome relief in being done with this stage of the ordeal :)

Reactions: 3 users
I know this is just my neuroticism speaking....but is there anything else I need to do once my list is certified? I'm worried I'll miss something and my rank order list won't get submitted.....ahhh!

I know this is just my neuroticism speaking....but is there anything else I need to do once my list is certified? I'm worried I'll miss something and my rank order list won't get submitted.....ahhh!

Ha my neuroticism is right on board with yours! That's all you need to do (and you should have gotten an email saying "That's all! you're done!") but it hasn't stopped me from indulging my compulsive checking behaviours.

I hear you!!!!!!!!! But no, I don't think we have to do anything else. I did save the list as a pdf to have in case something goes wrong... But I have no idea how that would help. :p

I'm concerned about how to rank St. Elizabeths in DC, as I've heard some negative information about the internship experience there. I know this is last minute, but I would greatly appreciate a private message from anyone who has interned there in the past or knows valid information about the internship program! Thank you!

I'm concerned about how to rank St. Elizabeths in DC, as I've heard some negative information about the internship experience there. I know this is last minute, but I would greatly appreciate a private message from anyone who has interned there in the past or knows valid information about the internship program! Thank you!

I assume you didn't get to interview on-site? I say go with your gut.

I assume you didn't get to interview on-site? I say go with your gut.

Thanks! I did interview on-site. It has been difficult to weigh my experience with the things I have heard in general about the site and treatment of interns, though. I was just hoping to get a first-hand account, if possible.

I keep checking my NMS rankings list to make sure that it's certified. Indeed, it is. The damned "Rankings" flag is bright green on my dashboard, the word "Certified" is in bold format, and still I feel anxious. I have achieved peak neurosis: level 99, "wizard" neurosis.

Reactions: 10 users
We made it, YAY! This comic feels very relatable, but I'm thankful that our match at least values our preferences!

phd011516s.gif

APPIC Stats from last year from http://www.appic.org/Match/MatchStatistics/ApplicantSurvey2015Part2.aspx

Number of interview offers received:
1 to 2 interviews Match rate = 57% n = 343
3 to 4 interviews Match rate = 79% n = 459
5 to 6 interviews Match rate = 91% n = 502
7 to 8 interviews Match rate = 94% n = 463
9 to 10 interviews Match rate = 97% n = 318
11 or more interviews Match rate = 99% n = 522

Is anyone else feeling uncomfortable with this set of statistics and the way that APPIC reports them? I think these are misleading as they do not account for how many spots are available at sites (meaning, some spots have one open intern slot, others have 16). I get that it's an average, but considering the wide range of spots available at various sites, it seems like quite a broad statement. Thoughts?

Is anyone else feeling uncomfortable with this set of statistics and the way that APPIC reports them? I think these are misleading as they do not account for how many spots are available at sites (meaning, some spots have one open intern slot, others have 16). I get that it's an average, but considering the wide range of spots available at various sites, it seems like quite a broad statement. Thoughts?

I was curious about this as well, as a number of the tracks I interviewed for only have one position. However, it also seemed to me like those tracks interviewed fewer people than tracks that accept more interns... so I'm thinking there may not be a big difference in terms of match rate for those positions. But who knows?!