2015-2016 APPIC Internship Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was curious about this as well, as a number of the tracks I interviewed for only have one position. However, it also seemed to me like those tracks interviewed fewer people than tracks that accept more interns... so I'm thinking there may not be a big difference in terms of match rate for those positions. But who knows?!
If you look at program stats you will see that programs will interview and rank more candidates if they are filling more slots. This will vary some with the prestige/competetiveness of specific sites--but even highly competitive sites can wind up in Match II because of how their candidates ranked other sites:
RANKINGS IN PHASE I
Average Number of Applicants Ranked Per Position Offered for Each Program:
Programs Filling All Positions
Programs With Unfilled Positions
All Programs

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone else more nervous now that lists are final? :confused: *Tries in vain to work on dissertation*

Reactions: 2 users
Is anyone else feeling uncomfortable with this set of statistics and the way that APPIC reports them? I think these are misleading as they do not account for how many spots are available at sites (meaning, some spots have one open intern slot, others have 16). I get that it's an average, but considering the wide range of spots available at various sites, it seems like quite a broad statement. Thoughts?

This is actually from a survey that is voluntary and was not filled out by all applicants. What bothers you about it? Is it the fact that it doesn't specify the %age matched by interview # and combines two numbers? Either way, at 91%, I think we're highly likely to match based on this ...

Members don't see this ad :)
I also wonder how different those percentages will be this year since there are almost equal numbers of applicants and slots.

Hey folks,

Now that internship rankings have been submitted (YAY!), distract yourself from the waiting game by taking this quick (< 5 minute) survey!

The Society for the Science of Clinical Psychology (SSCP) hosted a resource this year to facilitate hotel room sharing among internship applicants, and they'd like to know what people liked about the service, what they didn't like, and why people used it or didn't use it. The survey is open to anyone who applied for internship this year, whether or not you used the SSCP Hotel Match-Up program. You will not be asked for any personally identifiable information as part of the survey.

The link to the survey is here: http://goo.gl/forms/9KUazDLjIq

Thanks!

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone else more nervous now that lists are final? :confused: *Tries in vain to work on dissertation*

Disser-what? Oh . . . yeah, er, that thing *beads of sweat on scalp* ;)

Reactions: 5 users
Anybody else get a letter in the mail from Intern sites? The letter just stated thank you for visiting us and good luck with the match. How would you view this??

Anybody else get a letter in the mail from Intern sites? The letter just stated thank you for visiting us and good luck with the match. How would you view this??

I would take it as a thank you for traveling to their site and sending you well wishes with the process... In other words, I'd take it at face value. Nothing more.

Two weeks, ladies and gents! Mood check - how are you feeling? What's your distraction du jour?

Two weeks, ladies and gents! Mood check - how are you feeling? What's your distraction du jour?

Let's see...dissertation data analysis (snore), trying to watch all the Oscar nominated films before the Oscars, trying (mostly failing) to get back into exercise routine, drinking IPAs, and re-reading replies to "thank-you" notes, in order to assign totally non-existent meaning to stock emails:)

It actually feels a little better now that there is nothing left for me to do -- No more hand-wringing!

I realized I haven't posted on here in forever- hope the interviews went well for everyone, and that ranking was a smooth process!

Dissertation data collection, reading for fun (a "novel" concept - I'm already booing myself for the terrible pun), drinking wine, commiserating with the other intern applicants in my program, and playing Lego Avengers on the Xbox One (because I'm a child in an adult body).

My plan for February 18-19th: building a blanket/pillow fort with my husband in my living room while watching movies. (Again, child in adult body.)

Has anyone else been having wonky stress dreams lately?

Reactions: 8 users
Has anyone else been having wonky stress dreams lately?

Me and Don Draper started our own private practice last night in my dream. It was of course set back in the '60s, which made it even more fun.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This has been the most difficult waiting of my life!!!

I'm feel anxious. I feel like I'm in a perpetual state of anxiety and for the next 11 days, 13 hours it'll remain so.

Since ranking, I began collecting data for my dissertation, finished binge watching my favorite show and trying to find a new one (any suggestions for shows more than one season long are welcome), and coming up with activities for my toddler.

I can't wait for match day!

Although I can't imagine they would ever make this mistake again, I did enjoy reading this article detailing how NMS hid residency candidates results in the source code of the website and some applicants received their results early because of it!

http://www.teawithmd.com/2014/03/how-the-nrmp-was-hacked/

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

I'm feel anxious. I feel like I'm in a perpetual state of anxiety and for the next 11 days, 13 hours it'll remain so.

Since ranking, I began collecting data for my dissertation, finished binge watching my favorite show and trying to find a new one (any suggestions for shows more than one season long are welcome), and coming up with activities for my toddler.

what are some shows you like/have watched?

Have you tried Nurse Jackie? Private Practice? Bones?

what are some shows you like/have watched?
I've been loving Master of None (Netflix), Transparent (on Amazon Prime), and I just started The Affair (Showtime). Revisiting Curb Your Enthusiasm is always enjoyable as well :D

I've been loving Master of None (Netflix), Transparent (on Amazon Prime), and I just started The Affair (Showtime). Revisiting Curb Your Enthusiasm is always enjoyable as well :D

Mr. Robot on USA is really solid. Mad Men if you haven't seen it (so you can meet my co-worker, Don Draper). Luther and Sherlock, both on the BBC are great shows. Friday Night Lights is amazing and far less about football and more about relationships and drama than you'd think. House of Cards.

I'm guessing if you're watching Master of None, you've seen Parks and Rec. 30 Rock gets better the more times I watch it. Louie is dark at times and also brilliant at others. If you enjoy cartoon comedies, Bob's Burgers is such a fantastic and underrated show.

I'm sure you've seen a number of these, but I hope it helps! There's so much good TV out right now, you can't go wrong.

Orphan Black is another good option.

Orphan Black is another good option.

So many wonderful ideas!!

I've watched Orange is the New Black, Parks and Recreation, Friends, Nurse Jackie. I started watching The Man in the High Tower (Amazon), which I really like. I loved Poirot. There 13 seasons with each show running 60 minutes or longer, making it an ideal show for me.

So many wonderful ideas!!

I've watched Orange is the New Black, Parks and Recreation, Friends, Nurse Jackie. I started watching The Man in the High Tower (Amazon), which I really like. I loved Poirot. There 13 seasons with each show running 60 minutes or longer, making it an ideal show for me.

I'm really into "the Knick" right now!

Mr. Robot on USA is really solid. Mad Men if you haven't seen it (so you can meet my co-worker, Don Draper). Luther and Sherlock, both on the BBC are great shows. Friday Night Lights is amazing and far less about football and more about relationships and drama than you'd think. House of Cards.

I'm guessing if you're watching Master of None, you've seen Parks and Rec. 30 Rock gets better the more times I watch it. Louie is dark at times and also brilliant at others. If you enjoy cartoon comedies, Bob's Burgers is such a fantastic and underrated show.

I'm sure you've seen a number of these, but I hope it helps! There's so much good TV out right now, you can't go wrong.

Thank you! I have seen and loved Mad Men, House of Cards, and Friday Night Lights, and yes I like Parks and 30 Rock as well as Louie! It sounds like we have really similar taste!

For those that interviewed at CPMC...

do you know the anticipated start date of the program? I tried to find it online, but could not via their website. Possible I missed it.

Hope everyone is doing fine. I only have one work day next week!!!! :)

Anyone watching The People vs. OJ Simpson? Is it worth purchasing on iTunes?

I didn't interview there. However I did get an email from them thanking me for interviewing with them and a list of their match codes.

O **** really?

I did not get that email. I hope that isn't a sign lol. Was it personalized? From the director?

There wasn't a match code for neuro specific track was there? Just the three?

Anxiety level over 9000!!!! :p

Last edited:
O **** really?

I did not get that email. I hope that isn't a sign lol. Was it personalized? From the director?

There wasn't a match code for neuro specific track was there? Just the three?

Anxiety level over 9000!!!! :p
It can't be a sign, given they sent it to the wrong person!!! :)

No not personalized. PM me your email and I'll forward it to you.

There was not a specific match code for neuropsych. I'm sorry for the anxiety!! :(

It can't be a sign, given they sent it to the wrong person!!! :)

No not personalized. PM me your email and I'll forward it to you.

There was not a specific match code for neuropsych. I'm sorry for the anxiety!! :(

It's all good. PM'd

but that was a quote for my fellow DBZ fans. Im not that anxious lol

still o_O

Does anyone know around what time we should expect to get our results on Match Day?

Does anyone know around what time we should expect to get our results on Match Day?

They say 10am EST I believe, which would be 9am in my neck of the woods, but last year's cohort received their emails two hours early around 7am. I think if you look back over the last couple years' threads they tend to be early.

I'm on central time and the cohort above me said they received their email at 6:45am (7:45 Eastern) last year. The year before them was 7:15am.

Hopefully we will all be celebrating by this time next week, no matter what time Match results come in.

I know mine came around 5:45 am mountain time last year. Was definitely not expecting it when I woke up for the fifth time that night and looked at my phone!

Thinking of you all and wishing you calm and luck in this process. It's really hard to go through, but will seem like a distant dream so soon!

My email came in at 647am CST. Though my cohort member got theirs an hour later (they matched too so it's not a diff of matching vs not). So I think there's some variability.

I know last year a few of us were curious about what the email would like. Not sure if anyone is but thought I'd share:

Subject line: APPIC Match Results (Applicant #####)

When you open the email:

APPIC Internship Matching Program
Your APPIC Match Result

To: Name - Applicant Code #####

This message provides you with your Match result for the APPIC Internship Matching Program for internship positions beginning in 2015. (2016 for you guys)

Congratulations! You have been matched to:

Training Site:
Program: (if applicable)
Program Code:

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE! Sending match vibes your way for next Friday!

Reactions: 9 users
My email came in at 647am CST. Though my cohort member got theirs an hour later (they matched too so it's not a diff of matching vs not). So I think there's some variability.

I know last year a few of us were curious about what the email would like. Not sure if anyone is but thought I'd share:

Subject line: APPIC Match Results (Applicant #####)

When you open the email:

APPIC Internship Matching Program
Your APPIC Match Result

To: Name - Applicant Code #####

This message provides you with your Match result for the APPIC Internship Matching Program for internship positions beginning in 2015. (2016 for you guys)

Congratulations! You have been matched to:

Training Site:
Program: (if applicable)
Program Code:

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE! Sending match vibes your way for next Friday!

I have actually been really curious about what the email would look like, thank you!!

Reactions: 3 users
When is Match Day this year? I remember four years ago the results were supposed to be emailed by 9 am CST and I had appointments at practicum all morning. I had a no show at 10 am and then I checked and I matched at an APA site. Others said their result came in at 7:00 am but they were probably on PCT.

Good luck as I believe things are improving from four-years ago.

When is Match Day this year? I remember four years ago the results were supposed to be emailed by 9 am CST and I had appointments at practicum all morning. I had a no show at 10 am and then I checked and I matched at an APA site. Others said their result came in at 7:00 am but they were probably on PCT.

Good luck as I believe things are improving from four-years ago.

this friday

This waiting period was made to feel a lot better when I ran into some medical residents who told me they wait 2.5 MONTHS to get their match results. This has made the last few weeks (and the next 4 days) go pretty fast. Good luck to all!

Good Luck all!!!! Can't wait to make sense of this weird emotional rollercoaster! :):(;):inpain::happy:

Hey Everyone,

Friday is coming up fast. I wasn't nervous until yesterday/today, but now I am kinda scared about what my email will say. I have a really big day on Friday at my prac filled with meetings and patient sessions, and am worried that if I get bad news first thing in the morning I will struggle to keep it together for the rest of my long day. Does anyone else have these worries about managing this Friday? What are some constructive solutions (not drinking, etc) people have come up with to get through a busy day and remain professionally centered in case the news is not pleasant?

Does anyone watch Man Seeking Woman? What I wouldn't do to be able to hibernate until Friday...

...Does anyone else have these worries about managing this Friday? What are some constructive solutions (not drinking, etc) people have come up with to get through a busy day and remain professionally centered in case the news is not pleasant?

I have particular empathy for folks who will be at practicum sites to which they applied as internship sites, which I know applies to more than a few applicants. My suggestion (and plan) is to: Limit caffeine and sugar, breathe deeply, practice mindfulness and being present-focused, and take a brief time out if needed to re-group and re-center. We will all get through this! My best wishes to all!

I have particular empathy for folks who will be at practicum sites to which they applied as internship sites, which I know applies to more than a few applicants. My suggestion (and plan) is to: Limit caffeine and sugar, breathe deeply, practice mindfulness and being present-focused, and take a brief time out if needed to re-group and re-center. We will all get through this! My best wishes to all!

This is why I am taking off on that day.

Hey Everyone,

Friday is coming up fast. I wasn't nervous until yesterday/today, but now I am kinda scared about what my email will say. I have a really big day on Friday at my prac filled with meetings and patient sessions, and am worried that if I get bad news first thing in the morning I will struggle to keep it together for the rest of my long day. Does anyone else have these worries about managing this Friday? What are some constructive solutions (not drinking, etc) people have come up with to get through a busy day and remain professionally centered in case the news is not pleasant?

Practice what we preach to manage anxiety: what's the worst that can happen? Can I handle it? Is it the end of the world if I have to prep for Phase II? I oddly feel very at peace and ready for whatever the outcome is.

Self-care, self-care, self-care... Entertain yourself with your favorite shows, friends, hobbies, etc.