2015-2016 APPIC Internship Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What's everybody's game plan for the morning? Stay up all night staring at your inbox? Sleep until noon and pretend it's not match day? Conduct elaborate superstitious rituals?

I usually wake up at 9 on Fridays, so I doubt that I will wake up earlier than that just to check Match results. So definitely just another day for me. I'm up at 9, have breakfast and then will sit in front of my laptop with a cup of coffee and open that e-mail. I've waited this long so waiting an extra hour or two tomorrow morning isn't going to kill me.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Such restraint! Definitely not just another day for me. My plan is wine.

I'll be up teaching at 8am EST. Not sure if results might come in before or during class.... Should be an interesting morning.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi All,

Thanks for your support and replies. I'm going to slow it down (taking my own advice to not make hasty decisions/actions during stressful times) and hope to God, Allah, Vishnu, Jah, etc that I don't match THERE. If I do, I'll figure out my next move with my DCT. I haven't told her yet (my DCT). As others have said I may not match there. But, I will definitely tell her tomorrow. I don't think it's fair to other students who will match there if this program is acting this way. An informal complaint with APPIC might light a fire under that program to submit their self-study to APA right away. I think that is the approach that will benefit the most people and cause the least harm, as an informal complaint is not as grave as a formal complaint. Clearly, APA knows about this now since I emailed them and asked them if X program had, in fact, submitted their self-study as they said they did. It's unlikely APA will do much with this info other than put it under their cap for the time being. After all, they don't even have a self-study!!

...And, as seahorse said, GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!

Neurotic (but hopefully practical) question here: does anyone know the email address the email will come from, that way we can have the email marked as important and get pinged specifically for it, and prevent it from going to spam? If not, no worries!

Neurotic (but hopefully practical) question here: does anyone know the email address the email will come from, that way we can have the email marked as important and get pinged specifically for it, and prevent it from going to spam? If not, no worries!

I think it may have been in the last email that Greg Kelin (i.e., "Match News") sent out . . . From yesterday or the day the before . . .

Reactions: 1 user

Last year my match email came from National Matching Services Inc.

[email protected]

Good luck!

Goodness, I'm so sorry for a stupid question that was so obviously listed in Greg's email - I think I read it briefly in passing. Thanks for the help!

Hey everyone. I just wanted to say good luck tomorrow. Also, coming from the west coast, I think I will be waking up around :sleep:6:30am, making a cup of coffee, and opening up my computer to take a look-see.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Good luck everyone! Hopefully we can all share good news tomorrow.

Thank you for all the support =]

Reactions: 3 users
Yes, good luck to everyone! I'm trying to use that trick we were taught in our teaching seminar--channeling one's nerves into excitement! Only quasi-successful:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Not to make people more nervous, but a heads up re: calls from TDs - a friend of mine said last year her email came in before 10 AM PST (around 9ish PST?) and that she heard from the TD soon after, before the start of the window in which TDs are supposed to call (I believe starting at 11 AM PST). For me, at least, that means sleeping with my ringer on in case I get a call earlier than I'm expecting. Just a heads up! Good luck everyone!

Not to make people more nervous, but a heads up re: calls from TDs - a friend of mine said last year her email came in before 10 AM PST (around 9ish PST?) and that she heard from the TD soon after, before the start of the window in which TDs are supposed to call (I believe starting at 11 AM PST). For me, at least, that means sleeping with my ringer on in case I get a call earlier than I'm expecting. Just a heads up! Good luck everyone!

The times are EST, not PST. So the email would come before before 7am PST and the call from the TD should be between 8am and 11am PST

Good luck!

I had the luxury of staying up all night and opening up the email with wife (fiancé at time). And going out to breakfast with mimosas-was planned no matter what. Was a magical time (before kids) as was the whole freedom of that year. 40 hours/week and all we had was each other and our nice quiet boring life. It only gets more exciting from here.

Reactions: 8 users
Good luck!

I had the luxury of staying up all night and opening up the email with wife (fiancé at time). And going out to breakfast with mimosas-was planned no matter what. Was a magical time (before kids) as was the whole freedom of that year. 40 hours/week and all we had was each other and our nice quiet boring life. It only gets more exciting from here.

Just curious, but why do the internship training directors get notified of where all of the students they interviewed match at?

Just curious, but why do the internship training directors get notified of where all of the students they interviewed match at?

People we rank only. Why? Ask APPIC.

Good luck tomorrow, all! I hope your email brings you good news.

It's all so *real* now . . . I can't tell if I feel like I'm waiting to open a Christmas gift or waiting to be hit by a bus . . . Maybe I'm waiting to be hit by a bus full of Christmas gifts.

Reactions: 11 users
is it tomorrow yet???? Anyone else feel like they could explode with curiosity/anxiety right now????

Good luck! May the odds be ever in your favor! :xf:

Reactions: 2 users
Well, after a 14-hour day at my practicum site yesterday, I was exhausted and fell asleep early. After two hours of sleep, I am now wide awake and unable to fall back asleep. So much excitement about today. Anyone else out there also awake and having a hard time sleeping?

Best of luck to everyone!!

Wishing everyone the best of luck tomorrow.

I don't think I've ever been so anxious. Got some of my anxiety out when my toddler made me dance with her for an hour. Now she's out and I'm wide awake.

Well, after a 14-hour day at my practicum site yesterday, I was exhausted and fell asleep early. After two hours of sleep, I am now wide awake and unable to fall back asleep. So much excitement about today. Anyone else out there also awake and having a hard time sleeping?

Best of luck to everyone!!

I'm still awake but starting to get sleepy and thinking of going to bed soon. Good luck to you too!!

Chatting with my husband, and I realized I don't know the answer to this question: is it typical for directors to call matched interns on match day? The recent match emails suggest it's pretty common, but I don't know if it's a "if you match, definitely expect a call" thing or a "if you match, you might get a call or might not, no biggie" kind of thing.

Chatting with my husband, and I realized I don't know the answer to this question: is it typical for directors to call matched interns on match day? The recent match emails suggest it's pretty common, but I don't know if it's a "if you match, definitely expect a call" thing or a "if you match, you might get a call or might not, no biggie" kind of thing.

I believe that APPIC recommends that TDs contact matched applicants between 11 am to 1 pm, but I realize that doesn't really answer your question. Most of my classmates who matched in prior years did get a call on match day.

Good luck to everyone waiting to hear about their results in the morning!

I didn't get a call from the TD, but everyone else in my cohort did. Not getting a call kind of meant waiting around forever wondering if I was going to get a call. Instead I got an email several hours later.

I don't know about you guys... But I am DOMINATING candy crush right now. Which I hadn't ever downloaded until today! Coping skills come in many forms...using about 8 right now.

I don't know about you guys... But I am DOMINATING candy crush right now. Which I hadn't ever downloaded until today! Coping skills come in many forms...using about 8 right now.
I went out to get waffles at a 24 hour restaurant and have since immersed myself in "Merged" and "Qubed" (recommend, but slightly addictive apps$.

Binge watching Criminal Minds (almost done with season 5) and coloring!! Love it..

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I bet people on the east coast are checking their emails frequently as I read somewhere that the lastest notice of Match site is 9 am rather than this is the time the email is sent. When you get your email post it so others can rush to see if theirs has arrived.

I'm not going through match and I could not sleep tonight.

Let the party begin!!!

Reactions: 3 users
Thinking of you all, good luck everyone!

is it tomorrow yet???? Anyone else feel like they could explode with curiosity/anxiety right now????

I haven't been this antsy about getting an email since that time my internet went out right when I was placing an order on seamless and I wasn't sure whether I got that bad boy in before or if I just missed it.

I got it in for the record.

I bet people on the east coast are checking their emails frequently as I read somewhere that the lastest notice of Match site is 9 am rather than this is the time the email is sent. When you get your email post it so others can rush to see if theirs has arrived.

I'm not going through match and I could not sleep tonight.

Let the party begin!!!
Yup! I'm on the east coast and been refreshing my email almost every 5 minutes since 6:30ish. I don't think I've ever refreshed my email so much in my life.

Yup! I'm on the east coast and been refreshing my email almost every 5 minutes since 6:30ish. I don't think I've ever refreshed my email so much in my life.
I matched!!!

Reactions: 12 users
Congratulations to those who match. To those who don't, just remember that there are a number of highly-qualified folks who've come before you, been in your shoes, and gone on to successful careers. It sucks, and it's ok to be upset. However, every single year since I've paid attention to the process, there have been excellent sites available in phase II.

Reactions: 6 users