2015-2016 APPIC Internship Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I haven't gotten an email yet...
They come in waves. I just got mine after others already posted. It doesn't mean anything about your match status. I matched!! I'm done applying to things for a WHOLE YEAR

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
I matched to my #3

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That was quick. I guess they were sent out at 7:30 EST. I believe everyone should have received the email by now.
Anybody up on the West Coast? Did you check your email yet?

Good luck interns-to-be! Thinking of everyone waiting for their results this morning and wishing you all success! :highfive:

Reactions: 1 users
Matched to my #3

Happy I matched

Sorta Bummed because I have to move across country.

Congrats everyone!!!!

Reactions: 9 users
They come in waves. I just got mine after others already posted. It doesn't mean anything about your match status. I matched!! I'm done applying to things for a WHOLE YEAR
You're right! I matched to my top choice! Woohoo!!!

Good luck to everyone. May all of your match dreams come true!

Thinking about everyone who did not get a positive result today. Hang in there!

If it would be helpful, I'd be happy to update the interview page for Phase II.

Reactions: 1 user
That was quick. I guess they were sent out at 7:30 EST. I believe everyone should have received the email by now.
Anybody up on the West Coast? Did you check your email yet?

Yep. I'm up. My email came in around 4:30am PST and I saw it ½ hour later. All good news here.
A little too early to jump up and down but still smiley faces at my house.

Reactions: 8 users
I matched! Top choice!! From the West Coast. Time to go back to sleep.

Members don't see this ad :)
Guess I'm the first to not match...I'm just confused because I really thought my interviews went well, and I was a good fit at a few sites. Giving myself until 9 to process, then I'm going to get going on Phase II. Wish me luck!

Reactions: 3 users
Guess I'm the first to not match...I'm just confused because I really thought my interviews went well, and I was a good fit at a few sites. Giving myself until 9 to process, then I'm going to get going on Phase II. Wish me luck!

Same here and good luck

Matched to my #1! My email came just after 7:30 am EST.

Good luck to everyone, and my thoughts are with folks who got less than stellar news today.

Matched to my #1!!!!!!!!! So excited!

Reactions: 10 users
Match statistic will be available at 10 am EST. No news from our training director who matched at our sites, but we typically have to go to Phase II to fill all of our 20 slots in a multiple site consortium.

yay, headed to chicago! top choice but still processin.

Reactions: 10 users
For those that didn't match, I am so sorry to hear that. Don't give up hope, a lot of good sites in Phase 2 should be up grabs.

After not having matched last year, I felt so down. It's not the end of the world, nor does it say anything about your abilities. I took the year and practicum experience to further develop as a student, clinician, and person. I got interviews from places this go round I couldn't have even dreamed of my first time. I matched to a VA hospital (top VA I ranked), which will be more in line with my career goals!

Don't give up hope! Take care of yourself and push forward!

Reactions: 6 users
Matched to my #1 site. Still processing the news. My #1 is the best choice for my personal life and a fine site, but kinda sad that I didn't get #2 or #3 because they were "sexier" sites...but my husband would not have been so excited. Grateful for this news, grateful I didn't have to go to #4, and grateful that this process is over!

Everyone who didn't get matched YET - you will! There are great sites left just waiting for you!

Reactions: 13 users
Matched to my #1 too!!!! So relieved! I want to see the statistics for this year. Hopefully fewer people are getting bad news today than in previous years!

You guys are doing awesome!! Keep the good news coming!

And for those of you who had a disappointing outcome this morning, keep in mind that other opportunities await. Many of us know people who matched in Phase II or in a subsequent year and went on to have very successful careers. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

Match statistics are posted now and only 490 or 13% did not match this year. The good news is there are 595 slots that went unfilled making Phase II very important to fill slots. 263 unfilled slots are APA accredited sites.

Last edited:
Congratulations to those who match. To those who don't, just remember that there are a number of highly-qualified folks who've come before you, been in your shoes, and gone on to successful careers. It sucks, and it's ok to be upset. However, every single year since I've paid attention to the process, there have been excellent sites available in phase II.
Adding to this, I've known multiple extremely qualified and ultimately very successful psychologists who didn't match in their first cycle, even in Phase II/Clearinghouse. It's frustrating to have to wait another year, but it is no way a final statement on your qualifications as a student, intern, or psychologist. Really, it isn't.

Congrats to all who matched! Good luck to everyone entering Phase II!

i have such mixed feelings. Almost all my cohort matched well. except one person. a really awesome person. I feel so bad.

Someone submitted 76 applications. 76!!!!!!

I was just about to comment on this! HOW?? How do you do this? And why? I submitted 14 apps, and I remember the cover letters taking forever. Applying to anything more than 20 sites sounds insane to me.

I was just about to comment on this! HOW?? How do you do this? And why? I submitted 14 apps, and I remember the cover letters taking forever. Applying to anything more than 20 sites sounds insane to me.

Whoa, that slipped under my radar. I'm also a little alarmed that the MEDIAN number of applications was 16.

I sure hope the person who sent 76 applications matched somewhere. Though I remember seeing some stats from about 10 years ago showing that beyond 12 or so applications you get rapidly diminishing returns. I wonder what those numbers look like now.

I matched to my #2, which was really #1 in my heart and fitwise -- my #1 was primarily due to geography. So I am thrilled. :soexcited::highfive:

i have such mixed feelings. Almost all my cohort matched well. except one person. a really awesome person. I feel so bad.
Uggh, that's tough. I'm lucky because we all matched, so we can celebrate. I fretted about what to do if someone in my cohort didn't match.

Uggh, that's tough. I'm lucky because we all matched, so we can celebrate. I fretted about what to do if someone in my cohort didn't match.
yeah, I don't really feel like celebrating. She would just have to be the nicest, sweetest person with excellent credentials. There were some geographic limitations but not to the point I thought it would affect her like this.

Congrats to everyone who matched! To those who didn't, I hope you have success in Phase II. This process does not reflect your talent or abilities!

Someone submitted 76 applications. 76!!!!!!

It's possible they applied to many consortiums. While I applied to 15 sites, 4 of those sites were consortiums, as a result I applied to 30+ different positions but only wrote 15 cover letters.

I matched to my 3rd choice.

Reactions: 2 users
I am thrilled and also matched to my #1!

For those who did not match today, I KNOW YOUR PAIN 1000000%. I was in your shoes last year. I'm sure nothing that anyone can say can make the disappointment and pain go away. Keep your head up and know this system is flawed. Going through both phase I and II last year and still not matching, I have been reassured time and time again that I was/am a great applicant and no one ever thought less of me. It really helped to have so many people (supervisors, colleagues, friends, family) that provided that sense of confidence when I lacked it completely. I also met a few psychologists who are amazing and did not match their first year themselves.

I'm sure you're experiencing a lot of doubt, negative thoughts about yourself, anger, frustration, hurt, betrayal, etc. It's even harder when everyone else around you matched and is celebrating. I remember feeling like it was the end of the world, I was being selfish and having a hard time feeling truly happy for my friends, as well as disappointed that I was being "left behind." I'd say let yourself feel the range of emotions, they are completely valid and you deserve to feel that way. Utilize your social support, try to stay motivated, do something you enjoy and reward yourself! You did work hard and sadly, this sucky system doesn't acknowledge that. Take to heart that you are truly a great candidate. And if the worst still happens and no match in phase II or you choose not to do phase II, know that this really can be a positive, extra year. You will survive and can thrive. I spent this "bonus" year to get my first publication, make more progress on my dissertation, and gain more clinical experience that really boosted my confidence when I went on this round of interviews. I also made new friendships and mentorships with my new practicum and got more time with family. Even though not matching is a very sad outcome, I can happily say that in the end, everything worked out the way it needed to. Best wishes to all!

Last edited:
There are a ton of great sites left!
Program Code: 112528 Openings: 1
UCSD SBH/UCSD Neuropsychology

Program Code: 112534 Openings: 1
VA CogRehab NP/LJ PTSD

I can't speak to that place as I wasn't offered an interview, but is definitely a top notch place to be internship wise.

If anyone has any questions about the general internship at:
VA Central Iowa - Des Moines
City: Des Moines
Director: Amanda Collins Messman, Ph.D.
Telephone: (515) 699-5999 EXT 7841
Email:[email protected]
APA Accreditation: Accredited
APPIC Member:Yes

I interviewed there and they are excellent. I'm more than happy to answer any questions via private PM.

It's interesting to see that a site that I ranked higher than the site I ended up matched to ended up in phase II. That means that that place didn't rank me, which is sort of shocking to me because I thought I did such a good job. I was the only person who they interviewed who bothered to go to their open house....

It's interesting to see that a site that I ranked higher than the site I ended up matched to ended up in phase II. That means that that place didn't rank me, which is sort of shocking to me because I thought I did such a good job. I was the only person who they interviewed who bothered to go to their open house....
That's annoying :( I'm sorry.

Little disheartening, but Screw them. Their Loss!!!

Sidepost. Would anyone from the DC area be willing to give me some advice on housing!! PM me please.

That's annoying :( I'm sorry.

It's especially annoying because I added an extra 300 miles on to my car and 5 hours on to my trip in order to drive to their site. I wish they would've just told me they weren't going to rank me as I scheduled my site visit after I interviewed.

Edit: I know they cannot tell you, I wish they could.

For those starting the phase 2 process, I interviewed with and have info on the following sites. I would be happy to share info if you PM me. These are all non-APA, but some really great training opportunities. Best wishes!

The Guidance Center (Kansas), NV-PIC (Nevada), University of Cincinnati (Ohio), Case Western Reserve University (Ohio), Mid- Ohio Psychology, University of Dayton (Ohio), Appalachian Psychology/ Woodland Centers (Ohio), Christian Psychotherapy Services (Virginia), Pennsylvania Counseling Services, and Southern Utah University