2015-2016 APPIC Internship Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
for those in the know, if a site sends out personalized emails or calls interviewees (so not a mass email) is this done a) in order of desirability based on your application or 2) randomly or 3) done according to some other protocol (e.g., alphabetical, in order received)? Is it typically one (or more) folks that send out the emails or call?

This question is driven by neuroticism but also just plain curiosity.

My guess is a mix of all of the above. Lost a day of work to neuroticism :/

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
They said when they confirmed that rejections will be sent first, then invites, but they didn't specify if invites would be across the days or rejections today, then invites tomorrow.

I heard from Kennedy this afternoon, as did another student in my program - both invites - CFT, Peds, and Neuro. I'd imagine your invite will be in you inbox soon if you haven't heard yet!

Whoever sent in re: Children's National Medical Center -- is this the DC site? Or another? And if I can ask -- who called?
I heard from two colleagues and it is the one in DC. But, I don't know who called them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Was curious if anyone has advice on how to handle interview day conflicts if/when they arise. I've heard some sites are open to phone interview requests? I'm also wondering if anyone has turned down an interview outright, perhaps b/c it's lower on their list and they don't have the availability, and how to kindly and respectively turn it down. Looking at all the potential interview dates and there are several that would require back to back interview days, which I don't know I can physically, mentally, or financially handle.

I had some interview conflicts. It's important to know your priority in sites because your top choice should always get the in person interview. One site was kind enough to reschedule due to flight arrangements not working out (couldn't leave that site and make my next interview in time), the other site allowed me to do a Skype interview and one site I had to just reject because they were so rigid. They gave a set day and time (literally a one hour window) and would not move it. So I decided I wouldn't want to go there because they seemed so inflexible (even to moving that hour earlier). I kept a "template" of sorts -- being ready to ask sites to reschedule if needed. Hope that helps :)

I have only heard from one site, Syracuse VA, rejection. Coping? It wasn't a top choice but I have to admit it put me in a bad mood :( Oh, it was a 2 line standard "thank you for your interest, but no thanks" email.

It does help me to feel better knowing that I still have 3 sites that haven't even had their due dates yet, so it's early days (I suppose).

-Site name & Match ID number - Hennepin County Medical Center (HCMC), Lincoln Hills School/Copper Lake School
-Track (if applicable) - Child for Hennepin, No track for LHS/CLS
-Invite or rejection - rejection from both
-Date notified - 11/23/2015
-How notified (mass email, personal email, phone) - mass email and personal email respectively
-What you've done lately to cope with this crazy internship process - play the SIMs

Reactions: 1 user
Today seemed like a big day for notifications. I have updated the main thread with all of the notifications I received today; however, if for some reason I overlooked one, please let me know.

Congratulations to those who received offers! And to everyone who didn't get the news they were hoping for, hang in there!! It is still early in the notification cycle. I know this is a hard process. This phase has certainly been filled with all sorts of emotions for me. The waiting game is never fun!

I often find watching comedic sketches to be helpful. Therefore, I thought I would share this old Bob Newhart clip, where he plays a psychologist. It's a classic and goodie. Here it is:

P.S. I may start taking his advice for my anxiety associated with this process.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
One note - I also received an interview offer from Harvard/MGH for the CBT track, and the dates were 1/8/16 and 1/15/16 (which are also what's published on their website). The front page list shows the dates as 12/8 and 12/15; while I suppose it's possible that I just wasn't included on all the dates, it seems more likely that the dates are actually the published ones from January, and it's just a typo :/ Just FYI!

Thank you for all the awesome work you to do make this resource available for others!

One note - I also received an interview offer from Harvard/MGH for the CBT track, and the dates were 1/8/16 and 1/15/16 (which are also what's published on their website). The front page list shows the dates as 12/8 and 12/15; while I suppose it's possible that I just wasn't included on all the dates, it seems more likely that the dates are actually the published ones from January, and it's just a typo :/ Just FYI!

Thank you for all the awesome work you to do make this resource available for others!
Hey!! Good catch! I have fixed this on the main page. Thanks! And congrats on the offer! :)

Charleston Consortium (neuropsychology): personalized email
Interview dates: Fridays: January 8th, 15th, 22nd
Mondays: January 4th, 11th, 18th, 25th
Saturdays: January 9th and 23rd

How I'm coping: I have family in town and we're having a lot of fun! We're doing a room escape tonight.

Charleston Consortium (neuropsychology): personalized email
Interview dates: Fridays: January 8th, 15th, 22nd
Mondays: January 4th, 11th, 18th, 25th
Saturdays: January 9th and 23rd

How I'm coping: I have family in town and we're having a lot of fun! We're doing a room escape tonight.

this suggests you may need to change your username :)

Reactions: 2 users
this suggests you may need to change your username :)
You're sweet! I had this name when I got rejected from graduate school the first time I applied. I'm glad things have turned around and I hope people remember that!!!

Reactions: 7 users
I saw the info on the main page for the Jesse Brown VA but didn't see an original thread; curious what tracks those are for? Haven't heard anything yet so hoping I might still get an interview slot...

Members don't see this ad :)
I saw the info on the main page for the Jesse Brown VA but didn't see an original thread; curious what tracks those are for? Haven't heard anything yet so hoping I might still get an interview slot...
It was just for the general track. They said the emails for other tracks will come soon.

Site name & Match ID number: MGH
-Track (if applicable): Child
-Invite or rejection: Invite

-Date notified: 11/24/15
-How notified (mass email, personal email, phone): phone
-Interview date: 1/6/15
-What you've done lately to cope with this crazy internship process: eat too much junk!!!

Ouch, rough morning....two rejections:

Cherokee Health and University of Wisconsin Health track

Friend just told me she received an invite to the South Texas VA in San Antonio for the gero track. Email but not sure if it was mass or personalized.

It's days like today where becoming a baker seems more and more appealing. Tally so far--1 rejection and 1 acceptance from non-accredited site. And 1 reviewed APPIC application with a BIG 'OLE FAT TYPO for the site's cover letter.

H
It's days like today where becoming a baker seems more and more appealing. Tally so far--1 rejection and 1 acceptance from non-accredited site. And 1 reviewed APPIC application with a BIG 'OLE FAT TYPO for the site's cover letter.
Hang in there! I looked over one of mine who invited me and I had the wrong address for them right at the top of my cover letter!

-Site name & Match ID number Fresno State Center Community College (1 of 5 of the California Consortium)
-Track (if applicable) No track
-Invite or rejection Invite
-Date notified 11/22/15
-How notified (mass email, personal email, phone) Personal email
-Interview date Jan 14, 15, 21, 22
-What you've done lately to cope with this crazy internship process Watch really bad Hallmark Holiday movies

Site name & Match ID number: Yale school of medicine
-Track (if applicable) adult inpatient unit
-Invite or rejection Invite
-Date notified 11/24/15
-How notified (mass email, personal email, phone) Personal email
-Interview date Jan 8 (2nd choice of those listed on application)
-What you've done lately to cope with this crazy internship process
Take out Chinese

Site name & Match ID number: Minneapolis VA Health Care System
-Track (if applicable): Standard
-Date notified: 11/24/2015
-How notified (mass email, personal email, phone): Personal Email
-Interview date: 1/4/2016
-What you've done lately to cope with this crazy internship process: Playing Halo 5

Minneapolis VA Neuropsych date of interview (personalized email): January 11, 2016

Hi all, I think I may have made a mistake on University of Illinois at Chicago and University of Chicago. I may have mixed up some of the information between the two sites, but am having a hard time figuring it out. If anyone has any feedback on this, please let me know and I will fix. Thanks for the help! And sorry for the mix-up.

Hi all, I think I may have made a mistake on University of Illinois at Chicago and University of Chicago. I may have mixed up some of the information between the two sites, but am having a hard time figuring it out. If anyone has any feedback on this, please let me know and I will fix. Thanks for the help! And sorry for the mix-up.
I may be partly responsible for that (when I erroneously reported my colleague had heard from UIC instead of UC) but UIC looks correct now.
Not 100% sure about UC but it's a lot of tracks.

Site name & Match ID number: Minneapolis VA Health Care System
-Track (if applicable): Standard
-Date notified: 11/24/2015
-How notified (mass email, personal email, phone): Personal Email
-Interview date: 1/4/2016
-What you've done lately to cope with this crazy internship process: Playing Halo 5

Congrats!! Hope to know about them soon!!

my friend found an invite in her spam folder, so be sure to check at least sometimes!

Site name: Philhaven/Philhaven Psychology Department-1531
-Date notified: 11/24/15
-Track (if applicable): General
-How notified (mass email, personal email, phone): Personal email
-Interview date: To be determined individually

I may be partly responsible for that (when I erroneously reported my colleague had heard from UIC instead of UC) but UIC looks correct now.
Not 100% sure about UC but it's a lot of tracks.
No worries at all!! I'm glad to hear UIC looks correct. :)

Did the Mt. Sinai St. Luke's/Roosevelt person say whether they applied Child or Adult tracks? TIA!

Did the Mt. Sinai St. Luke's/Roosevelt person say whether they applied Child or Adult tracks? TIA!
Hey, Just got word that it is for the adult track. About to update now on the main thread.

Hey, Just got word that it is for the adult track. About to update now on the main thread.
Just got an email for the st Luke's child track as well. Interviews are 12/17 or 12/18. Mass email.

I have a sinking suspicion that the st. luke's adult invite is either a fluke or the first interview of many future ones...

Site name: Texas Child Study Center
-Date notified: 11/25/15
-Invite or rejection: Reject
-How notified (mass email, personal email, phone): Personal Email (probably mail merge)
-Interview date: 1/15/16

Site name: Texas Child Study Center
-Date notified: 11/25/15
-Invite or rejection: Reject
-How notified (mass email, personal email, phone): Personal Email (probably mail merge)
-Interview date: 1/15/16
I got this Rejection too. And it's my birthday. Worst way to wake up on your birthday

I'm sorry about that piece of news Emily. I hope you get much better news before the day is done. Hang in there!

I have a sinking suspicion that the st. luke's adult invite is either a fluke or the first interview of many future ones...

I interviewed there last year and remember the invites were indeed rolling.

Boston VA rejection; mass email. I applied to the general mental health track.

St. Louis VA
Neuropsych
Dates: Jan 8, 15, and 22
Mass email

University of Michigan Mary Rackham Institute
Adult Track
Rejection
Mass email

Mississippi State Hospital

Rejection

Mass Email

Adult Inpatient

What would you all do if you missed a call from a site (I googled the number) - and they did not leave a voicemail? Weird to call back?

Baltimore VA ( VAMHCS/UM SOM Psychology Internship Consortium) invitation, mass email, interviews 1/7 and 1/14.

In the airport so coping by people watching. Chocolate works better.

What makes you think this?
Well, a glimpse at last year's notifications coupled with the absurdity of asking someone to potentially book a flight two days before a holiday weekend just doesn't add up to me. Thus, I suspect this is either an erroneous invite or that there will be additional dates in the future.

What would you all do if you missed a call from a site (I googled the number) - and they did not leave a voicemail? Weird to call back?
Not weird. Call em up, get you some.

Reactions: 3 users
Two people from my program got invites to the University of Miami Counseling Center, ID: 1201. They got calls today and interviews are mid to late December and early January.

Another one got an invite to the VA Boston Healthcare System, ID: 1325, also today. Not sure how it came and when interviews are.

Just heard from a friend that she received a rejection from UW School of Medicine in Seattle. Don't know if it was personal or mass email.