2015-2016 APPIC Internship Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Site name: Greystone Park Psychiatric Hospital/Psychology
-Date notified: 11/25/15
-Invite or rejection: Reject
-Track (if applicable): General
-How notified (mass email, personal email, phone): mass email

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
VA Central Western Mass, WIT rotation; invitation; email; interviews are 1/7 or 1/12.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So? Share your good news!
Sorry! Trying to juggle this thread with seeing patients in the hospital (as I'm sure many are!)
Mississippi State Hospital - Interview invite
Can provide more details later if someone has not already posted...running to see another client.

-Site name & Match ID number Central Alabama VA Health Care System (CAVHCS) & 11547
-Track (if applicable): None
-Invite or rejection: Invitation
-How notified (mass email, personal email, phone): Mass email
-Interview date: December 10, January 7, January 14, January 21, and January 28
-What you've done lately to cope with this crazy internship process: Netflix (Doc Martin)

-Site name & Match ID number Central Alabama VA Health Care System (CAVHCS) & 11547
-Track (if applicable): None
-Invite or rejection: Invitation
-Interview date: December 10, January 7, January 14, January 21, and January 28
-What you've done lately to cope with this crazy internship process: Netflix (Doc Martin)

Question: I applied to both Central Arkansas VA and Central Alabama VA. I did not get a mass acceptance email (which people say they received) or a mass rejection email (which people also say they received) from either site. What does this mean????

Question: I applied to both Central Arkansas VA and Central Alabama VA. I did not get a mass acceptance email (which people say they received) or a mass rejection email (which people also say they received) from either site. What does this mean????

This could mean that they are implementing a rolling system where they evaluate a batch of applications and send out invitations/rejections once that batch is reviewed. They then do this on an ongoing basis until all apps are reviewed. I suppose it could also mean you are in a limbo/wait-list type stage wherein they are waiting for responses to interview invites before determining if they can offer more. I would expect the former more than the latter; but neither might also be case...

Some sites send out invitations in batches. What someone calls a "mass email" might just be an email addressed generically ("Dear applicant,") but you don't actually know whether they send it out to 50 people at once or 1 person at a time. It's also possible that the posts that you've seen are for particular tracks within a program. Also, it's possible that they could email out a rejection notice to people who don't meet certain basic criteria (maybe hours cutoffs or experience in a specific setting or who knows what) first, and then consider people who meet those cutoffs further and then accept or reject after that. Point being, there could be a lot of reasons you haven't heard, so don't panic! Also, check your spam filters and make sure nothing's getting caught up there.

Site name & Match ID number: Baltimore VA/Univ. of Maryland Baltimore SOM
-Track: both SMI tracks
-Invite or rejection: Invite
-Date notified
:11/25
-Interview date: 1/21 & 1/28
-What you've done lately to cope with this crazy internship process: Now that I have at least one Invite I am chillin'. It only takes one...

Reactions: 4 users
This could mean that they are implementing a rolling system where they evaluate a batch of applications and send out invitations/rejections once that batch is reviewed. They then do this on an ongoing basis until all apps are reviewed. I suppose it could also mean you are in a limbo/wait-list type stage wherein they are waiting for responses to interview invites before determining if they can offer more. I would expect the former more than the latter; but neither might also be case...

I second everything QZQ and temppsych123 said about this. I hope you hear soon!

Hope everyone had a happy and restful Thanksgiving, especially sms06h, who is an amazing person for taking on this thread and spending time on it everyday! Just wanted to thank her again for doing this!!:clap:

Also, the question that usually comes up around this time is if people can expect invites over Thanksgiving weekend. As I recall from past years watching classmates go through this, I think that yes, some sites do use this weekend to catch up and send out invites. They even come on Sunday sometimes, so no day is safe. Hang in there everyone and good luck in the coming weeks!

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
As interviews near I am wondering what is the appropriate move when it comes to your luggage/a coat. What I mean is, if your interview time extends past the check out time of a hotel or you are headed straight to the airport after the interview, what is the recommended thing to do with your luggage? (mind you, I am planning to fit everything into a nice, neutral carry on for interviews, no bulky big bags). Thanks.

Additionally, a question for the northerners... as a warm weather climate native I will be purchasing a nice, warm coat to wear over my suit, but is it weird to then have to cary your coat all day? Do sites have a coat room? I know these may sound like silly questions, but I am hoping your responses will help others including myself!

^I'm wondering the same so not silly! Along the same lines, this southerner was wondering if it's appropriate to wear nice black leather boots with my dress pants rather than my normal black flats. The boots seem like a much warmer option and I've worn them with dress pants before and they look nice. Or do people just switch out footwear before the interview? Oh logistics!

Members don't see this ad :)
^I'm wondering the same so not silly! Along the same lines, this southerner was wondering if it's appropriate to wear nice black leather boots with my dress pants rather than my normal black flats. The boots seem like a much warmer option and I've worn them with dress pants before and they look nice. Or do people just switch out footwear before the interview? Oh logistics!

Honestly, it will depend on the weather the day of your interview. On the day of if there is no snow, wearing snow/extreme weather boots and a heavy coat may seem a bit overboard. If it's snowing or there are several inches of accumulation on the ground, I would wear boots and then give yourself enough time to change into a more professional pair of shoes. Most hospitals do not have a coat check but in practicum interviews we had a general meeting place where we could leave our jackets, bags, and boots.

Most sites have a holding room where you hang out between interviews where you can leave coats and bags. The sites totally understand the crazy logistics of the internship process. I generally left my bag in my rental car, but plenty of folks brought bags into the building. I also wore boots at every interview. Not heavy winter boots, but dress boots with a little bit of a heel. Keep in mind that most interviews also include a site tour, so you'll want to be comfortable (I wouldn't recommend wearing any super high heels). The tour might also include going between buildings, so if you'll be warmer and more comfortable in boots, wear boots!

I'm originally from a small Minnesota town near Fargo, North Dakota. If there is snow on the ground and it's cold, it's totally socially acceptable to wear a nice, clean jacket and some stylish, warm winter boots professionally. If you have your own car, you can wear winter clothes in the car and then change shoes in to some nice flats and a sweater or suit coat before you walk in. Up north, my experience is that people aren't going to judge you for wearing appropriate winter gear, in fact, they may judge you more for showing up inappropriately dressed. Also, there almost certainly will be a place for coats if you're somewhere where coats are regularly needed.

As interviews near I am wondering what is the appropriate move when it comes to your luggage/a coat. What I mean is, if your interview time extends past the check out time of a hotel or you are headed straight to the airport after the interview, what is the recommended thing to do with your luggage? (mind you, I am planning to fit everything into a nice, neutral carry on for interviews, no bulky big bags). Thanks.

Additionally, a question for the northerners... as a warm weather climate native I will be purchasing a nice, warm coat to wear over my suit, but is it weird to then have to cary your coat all day? Do sites have a coat room? I know these may sound like silly questions, but I am hoping your responses will help others including myself!
You can bring your luggage/coat/boots to the interview site. All sites I interviewed at had a room where you could leave your stuff. (As an intern, I also offered to lock/store stuff in my office if anyone felt they wanted that instead). I changed from winter boots into flats once I arrived for interviews and noone batted an eyelash. I didn't feel like sweating during interview day. You might want to re-evaluate once you get your schedule (as you might be switching buildings and thus walking through snow). The interns/faculty should be able to guide you about whether you'll need to bundle up again soon or not.

I wore nice ankle boots and a dressy winter coat. It was fine.

I am thinking we should start a logistical consideration thread. Like, I no joke spent four hours searching for how to best travel with a suit. Anyone got any garment bags they hated/liked? Suggestions welcome!

Also, this is my first post...
The best thing I did with internship interviews was buy a mini steamer. A lot of people dealt with garment bags, but I pretty much rolled up my suit and shoved it into my bag wherever it fit. Each time I got to a new hotel room, I'd hang it up and steam it, and it was perfection every time and SUPER easy. It was also good for the shirts I was going to wear with the suits and with my clothes for travel days so I didn't look like a total slob at the airport. Even if you use a garment bag, there's no guarantee it will stay flawlessly wrinkle-free, and if you're wearing your suit multiple days in a row, it's going to get wrinkles that need removing. Plus in my head, the steam "washes" the suit. Seriously - $20 for the best investment ever that I still use when I travel now.

Reactions: 8 users
You can bring your luggage/coat/boots to the interview site. All sites I interviewed at had a room where you could leave your stuff. (As an intern, I also offered to lock/store stuff in my office if anyone felt they wanted that instead). I changed from winter boots into flats once I arrived for interviews and noone batted an eyelash. I didn't feel like sweating during interview day. You might want to re-evaluate once you get your schedule (as you might be switching buildings and thus walking through snow). The interns/faculty should be able to guide you about whether you'll need to bundle up again soon or not.

Thank you, and everyone else who posted about this!! I didn't even think they would have a 'holding room,' but that makes a lot of sense. Also thanks for sharing your experience! Hearing everyone share their experiences is really helpful!

Does anyone know if the Pittsburgh VA sent out invites for the Neuro track (154312)?

Alpert Medical School of Brown University
Child Track
Mass
January 7, 8, 11, 15, and 20.

Alpert medical school of brown university
Juvenile justice specialty of child track
Mass email
Interviews are January 8, 11, and 20

The best thing I did with internship interviews was buy a mini steamer. Seriously - $20 for the best investment ever that I still use when I travel now.

Best advice I ever got on here! Thanks so much.

Reactions: 2 users
Hello all,

I'm a new user here who just received my first interview invitation. I'm very happy to know I have at least one interview, but it's also made me cognizant of the short amount of time before the interviews officially begin. I hope this is the appropriate place for me to ask, but I'd be very interested in getting some feedback from those of you who were accepted for internships in previous years. How did you spend your time preparing, and how many hours did you dedicate each week for this preparation? My hope is to do the best I can to prepare in order to obtain an internship that will provide excellent training, but its sometimes hard to know if I'm spending my time preparing effectively.

In order to avoid flooding this thread, I'd be very grateful if you could send any of your thoughts via a private message. Thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks for asking such as great question, PsychPerson21! I would find any responses given to be very helpful as well, and I think most current applicants would too. Can I speak on behalf of everyone else and say that any "flooding" caused by responding to this question would be OK?

Hello all,

I'm a new user here who just received my first interview invitation. I'm very happy to know I have at least one interview, but it's also made me cognizant of the short amount of time before the interviews officially begin. I hope this is the appropriate place for me to ask, but I'd be very interested in getting some feedback from those of you who were accepted for internships in previous years. How did you spend your time preparing, and how many hours did you dedicate each week for this preparation? My hope is to do the best I can to prepare in order to obtain an internship that will provide excellent training, but its sometimes hard to know if I'm spending my time preparing effectively.

In order to avoid flooding this thread, I'd be very grateful if you could send any of your thoughts via a private message. Thanks!

Congrats on the interview invite!

I had 9 interviews the year before last. To prepare, I found a list or two of common questions asked during internship interviews and then made point-form notes on things I could talk about in response to each question. For example, you'll want to have a idea about an ethical dilemma and a conflict with a supervisor handy to discuss. This probably took 4-5 hours in total. My program did a mock-interview with us in early December, which was helpful... I got some useful feedback there (to be more specific in my answers to a couple questions) and practiced that a little on my own. Then before each interview I spent 30-40 minutes going over information about the site (to refresh my memory) and coming up with questions for the site.

I think it's possible to overprepare... If you get a chance to do a mock interview, I'd definitely recommend that.

I second the mock interview! I have never had a skype interview, so a mentor from out-of-state offered to do a mock interview via Skype. A faculty member in my program offered to do a mock in-person interview as well. These help me work out any glaring issues and feel more polished.

-Site name & Match ID number: Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center
-Track (if applicable): n/a
-Invite or rejection: Invite
-Date notified: 11/30
-Interview date: Jan 11 and Jan 15
-What you've done lately to cope with this crazy internship process: nutella by the spoonfuls

First post after much lurking and obsessive refreshing! Rejection from Baltimore Consortium. Non-personalized email. I applied for the SMH track.

So far I have two rejections and no other notifications. I am trying to keep my head up because others have continually said that it's still early and it's not over 'till the rejection actually comes, but it is discouraging that about 1/3 to 1/2 of my 15 sites have posted here and I haven't heard much (and no good news). Anyone else in the same boat? It would be nice to commiserate a bit, as no one in my cohort seems to want to be the first to ask how things are going with everyone else.

Congrats on the interview invite!

I had 9 interviews the year before last. To prepare, I found a list or two of common questions asked during internship interviews and then made point-form notes on things I could talk about in response to each question. For example, you'll want to have a idea about an ethical dilemma and a conflict with a supervisor handy to discuss. This probably took 4-5 hours in total. My program did a mock-interview with us in early December, which was helpful... I got some useful feedback there (to be more specific in my answers to a couple questions) and practiced that a little on my own. Then before each interview I spent 30-40 minutes going over information about the site (to refresh my memory) and coming up with questions for the site.

I think it's possible to overprepare... If you get a chance to do a mock interview, I'd definitely recommend that.

+1 to this. I received 15 interview invites and ended up doing ~10 of them in-person, IIRC. I also strongly suggest mock interviews... my grad program assigned us to faculty members, but I also approached a couple of faculty members I felt would be honest with me for additional practice. It ended up being helpful to practice with people who have different styles - one of my mock interviews with a more cold/harsh faculty member was probably harder than any of my actual interviews!

I also agree 100% that it is possible to overprepare - do your best not to obsess! I only reviewed site information and my cover letter the night before the each interview - it helped me avoid burn-out or confusion about different sites. If you end up doing phone interviews, make sure you plan for having a quiet space that makes you feel comfortable - I know some people say that dressing in a suit and being in the office even if it's just a phone interview helps them to "play the part", but for me this was being at home in pajama pants with a mug of coffee :) figure out what works for you!

I found the most important part of surviving the internship cycle was practicing self-care and letting myself enjoy the experience of seeing different cities and meeting different people (I actually ended up taking a postdoc job from someone I met during internship interviews!). good luck all!

Site name & Match ID number: Stanford University CAPS
-Track (if applicable): n/a
-Invite or rejection: Rejection :(
-Date notified: 11/30
-Interview date: NA
-What you've done lately to cope with this crazy internship process: more work on my dissertation today!

First post after much lurking and obsessive refreshing! Rejection from Baltimore Consortium. Non-personalized email. I applied for the SMH track.

So far I have two rejections and no other notifications. I am trying to keep my head up because others have continually said that it's still early and it's not over 'till the rejection actually comes, but it is discouraging that about 1/3 to 1/2 of my 15 sites have posted here and I haven't heard much (and no good news). Anyone else in the same boat? It would be nice to commiserate a bit, as no one in my cohort seems to want to be the first to ask how things are going with everyone else.

Remember that it isn't a rejection until you've gotten an actual rejection email from them. Many places do rolling interviews. It's extremely stressful to be sitting on 2 rejections and no positive news (I was there just a few days ago) and at the same time, you have 13 sites yet to hear from! They will start to come in. Once you get that first one probably this week or next you'll feel a weight lifted. It only takes one.

Remember that it isn't a rejection until you've gotten an actual rejection email from them. Many places do rolling interviews. It's extremely stressful to be sitting on 2 rejections and no positive news (I was there just a few days ago) and at the same time, you have 13 sites yet to hear from! They will start to come in. Once you get that first one probably this week or next you'll feel a weight lifted. It only takes one.
Agreed. I just got notified today from a site that has been listed here for weeks. :laugh::thumbup:

Reactions: 4 users

I completely know how you feel. I applied a good bit before any of my cohort mates did (mostly different sites, but some the same), and while they're all hearing back (both positive and negative), I haven't heard a single thing. Plus, like you, a good many of the sites I applied to are already posted on here as having sent out invitations for interviews. It feels very discouraging, but like PSYquailman pointed out, news will have to come in soon (and hopefully it's good news).

Northwestern University LGBT Track (126212)
Invite
Personal phone call, notified 11/30
Interviews: 1/19, 1/25

Thanks for all the tips about interview preparations. I am interviewing for some neuropsych placements. I was wondering if there are any tips specifically to prepare for interviews towards that route. I've heard that some places request you to "diagnose" a case they present to you, but I really don't know how to prepare for something like that at this point. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and positivity!

I've had 3 rejections and no news from the other 12, none of them have been posted on here and I'm the only one in my cohort applying so this forum is my only source of news!

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Your recommendations are all very helpful!

I should have mentioned that I also received few messages and primarily rejections thus far, so I can relate to mostly receiving rejections. From what I've heard, even the best candidates out there get a number of rejections from at least a few sites for various reasons.

I am glad this site allows us all some degree of anonymity, as I'm normally someone who doesn't like to talk about either my successes or failures (unless I'm certain that sharing my information will make other people feel better). I know this is a highly stressful process for just about everyone, and I don't want to make the experience even more stressful by making other candidates worried if they aren't hearing back from sites. I'll try to keep my posts to a minimum unless I can contribute helpful feedback in some way.

Thanks for all of your kind words and reassurance. I will try to keep my spirits up as best I can. Tomorrow is a new day and a new chance!

Hi Everyone! Thanks for all of your helpful advice. I have an interview question as well. I am sort of in the opposite boat as some posters - I have heard from a lot of sites, which is a mixed blessing as my schedule is filling up fast. Two of my top sites I have not yet heard from and they don't have their potential interview dates posted anywhere. Is it okay to reach out to the sites to inquire as to when they have their interviews so that I can leave space in my schedule should I be offered an interview? I don't want to come off as pushy but I also don't want to accept certain dates with others if they conflict! Thoughts?

Quick question: how many non-accredited sites did people apply to? I've received 7 rejections, 2 invites, and I have 9 still out and some have already been posted on the thread. Should I apply to more sites as back up?

Hi Everyone! Thanks for all of your helpful advice. I have an interview question as well. I am sort of in the opposite boat as some posters - I have heard from a lot of sites, which is a mixed blessing as my schedule is filling up fast. Two of my top sites I have not yet heard from and they don't have their potential interview dates posted anywhere. Is it okay to reach out to the sites to inquire as to when they have their interviews so that I can leave space in my schedule should I be offered an interview? I don't want to come off as pushy but I also don't want to accept certain dates with others if they conflict! Thoughts?

I think it is perfectly reasonable to reach out and inquire as to whether they know which dates they will be offering interviews. Just be very mindful of your tone (e.g. maybe don't say that your schedule is filling up, but just that you are very interested in their site and are trying to set up a plan in case you are invited). I did this at one site and it was received positively.

Thanks! I am glad to hear it was well received!

Quick question: how many non-accredited sites did people apply to? I've received 7 rejections, 2 invites, and I have 9 still out and some have already been posted on the thread. Should I apply to more sites as back up?

If it helps, around this time of year I had just gotten a slew of rejections and only had one invite, so I panicked and applied to a site last minute. In the end, I got enough interviews and the site rejected me, anyway.

Reactions: 2 users
I agree with all the interview prep posts. I did practice (just talking aloud to myself) on some of the "most frequently asked questions." My school also provided a list of questions past students had received, including some difficult and unexpected ones. I made sure to force myself to practice hard questions. Another good thing is to not only have a general idea of what your answer will be, but also how to be clear and concise. No one wants to hear anyone ramble on for 10 minutes of a 45-minute interview on one case or situation. Hit the main points and move on to the next question.

I'm also seconding the mock interview and reviewing the site materials. I looked at things on the plane or in the hotel the night before. It was helpful to underline the things I would use as talking points, particularly why I wanted that specific site. As a current intern, I just reviewed more than 20 apps and I cannot begin to tell you how poorly people indicated why they wanted our site in the cover letter. It was so vague and general and fluffy (and that made me not want those people at our site cause it seemed like they didn't really care and/or generically slapped something together). Also, when reviewing site info, write down questions you want to ask on the interview day. I cannot stress enough that you will be asked ELEVEN BILLION TIMES if you have questions for the site, so have some. Have many. It's much easier to generate a question you've already pondered versus making all of them up on the spot.

Also, if sites had you submit sample reports or case summaries, review those and be ready to talk about them. About half the sites where I interviewed that required that asked me to talk about them - why I picked that case, what my thought process was, what would I change now, etc. The cases I had picked were unfortunately from a couple years prior so they weren't super fresh in my mind and somewhat challenging to talk about for that reason. Review that right before interviews so you can talk about it like you're the expert you are!

DC Superior Courts
Rejection on 11/30/15
Mass Email

I think it is perfectly reasonable to reach out and inquire as to whether they know which dates they will be offering interviews. Just be very mindful of your tone (e.g. maybe don't say that your schedule is filling up, but just that you are very interested in their site and are trying to set up a plan in case you are invited). I did this at one site and it was received positively.

I disagree with this. As a director of an internship program, this is already a very busy time and we are all trying to get notifications out as soon as possible. We understand that it is difficult to schedule interviews and if many applicants start emailing about interview dates, this could slow down the process further. I would suggest to wait and see what happens. If you end up with many interviews and have overlapping dates with your top choice, see if your lower choice can be flexible, and if not, you can cancel your lower choice. I honestly would be a little irritated if someone couldn't wait a couple of weeks to hear and I think it could communicate something about your personality, even if it isn't true (i.e., pushy, not flexible, over confident, feel like you're better than other applicants so need to hear sooner, etc.). Additionally, even if you learn of the dates, you aren't guaranteed to get your top choice which could cause more frustration if you planned your schedule around a particular date. Not much good can come out of asking this (other than learning the dates a couple days/weeks sooner), but I think a lot of bad could. I don't think it's worth the risk.

Reactions: 3 users
-Site name & Match ID number Children’s Hospital Colorado
-Invite or rejection Rejection
-Date notified 11/30
-How notified (mass email, personal email, phone) Mass Email