2015-2016 Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks very much for your insight @bearwhiz and @Chelsearocksz :) I have done some shadowing (around 6 months) and quite a bit of research (resulting in publications) so I was curious how much weight community service would carry.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone knows anything about the WES report?
Hey, I did the WES report. It would actually take some time to get it done; it took me a month to have my report sent in to Duke-NUS. As you know you simply have to submit your relevant documents as requested by the WES, its takes time about a week to process your documents. I strongly suggest you to pay a bit more for express delivery if you are outside North America (as suggested by the WES organization as well). It is time consuming because it depends how quickly your previous academic institution sends out your academic documents and also how quickly the WES organization sends out the report to Duke-NUS.

Since the application round for Duke-NUS has already ended. You would only have a two week grace period to have everything sent in to Duke-NUS. So if you know your documents are still pending, I strongly suggest you contact the relevant authorities to help you speed up the process. Hope I didn't confuse you and this would help you.

Hi all,

just curious has anyone receive any invite for the Jan 2016 applicant's day?

Yeah I'm going for the Jan 8th applicant day, so I'm flying over this december.

Yeah I'm going for the Jan 8th applicant day, so I'm flying over this december.
Haha, I see. Congrats ! I am actually trying to find out if they have started to send out the invites for 19 Jan 2016 at Singapore.

Congrats @bearwhiz and @Chelsearocksz for the offer! :):) All the hard work paid off!

It has been quite awhile since we've any updates on acceptance. Any more good news from other applicants yet?

I was in the October applicant day and I haven't heard from them yet. Still keeping my fingers crossed though. :(

Reactions: 2 users
Haven't heard back from the school either. Since Christmas is fast approaching, I am hoping that some of us (if not all) will hear back next week. :) Wishing everyone a very happy holiday season and best of luck!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Haha, I see. Congrats ! I am actually trying to find out if they have started to send out the invites for 19 Jan 2016 at Singapore.

Hello! I don't think the Singapore invites go out so early, maybe early Jan? :) Are you applying this year too? All the best!!!!

Yes yes @snowpeach hopefully there will be lots of Christmas presents given out next week ^^

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone who went to November's applicant day heard back from the school yet?

Hello, everyone.
Congratulations to Denisovich and azzcays!
I am an applicant too. Did you receive your acceptance letter via e-mail or snail mail?

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys, just wondering about the writing component of applicant day. Was it just a writing prompt, or was it more of an ethical question? Thank you!

Is there anyone applied around the deadline and hasn't received the invitation letter yet?

Hi Everyone! Congratulations to those who have gotten their admission to Duke-Nus. For those of you who are keen to prepare early I have textbooks and othermaterials required for the first year. Some of thesetextbooks are in brand new condition, plastic wrapped.PM me if you'd like to find out more. Have a good week!

Hey! I applied a while ago but haven't heard back from them at all. Would it be at all worth it to email them to check?

Hi all! I'm an applicant for this cycle, completed my app close to the deadline and have just received my II. Let me know if anyone of you will be there on the 19th as well! :)

Hi all! I'm an applicant for this cycle, completed my app close to the deadline and have just received my II. Let me know if anyone of you will be there on the 19th as well! :)
Also attending the Jan 19th interview

Guys, do you have any idea what the interview is like?

Guys, do you have any idea what the interview is like?

There should be 2 interviewers, a clinician and a researcher. (conducted separately) but they might not ask solely research or clinical questions. (for example, the clinician can ask you about your research experience or how do you foresee research being part of your medical career. and the researcher might ask you what are your motivation in making this decision to pursue medicine.)

There will be staff guiding you to the correct room, you can ask them for the interviewer's name and if they are clinician or researcher (though it doesn't really matter).

The interviews are not too stressful, they are quite friendly (or at least those that I have gotten).

All the best for the applicant day!!

Thank you!
Then how is the TeamLEAD session?
There should be 2 interviewers, a clinician and a researcher. (conducted separately) but they might not ask solely research or clinical questions. (for example, the clinician can ask you about your research experience or how do you foresee research being part of your medical career. and the researcher might ask you what are your motivation in making this decision to pursue medicine.)

There will be staff guiding you to the correct room, you can ask them for the interviewer's name and if they are clinician or researcher (though it doesn't really matter).

The interviews are not too stressful, they are quite friendly (or at least those that I have gotten).

All the best for the applicant day!!

Thank you!
Then how is the TeamLEAD session?

TeamLEAD, you read through the article that they sent you. No need to memorize the whole article, take note of the trends and what kind of conclusion can you draw from the data. It is MCQ style.

You will first attempt the questions on your own. Then have a group discussion. You will be asked to explain your answers if they were different from the rest.

No need to be stress too, the faculty conducting the session is friendly too. Just think through your answers and have a good discussion with the group.

Does anybody know if this year's incoming class has already been filled up? Or about how many places are left approximately?

Does anybody know if this year's incoming class has already been filled up? Or about how many places are left approximately?
Hello, I don't think the class is filled yet, given that there are two more interview sessions. Plus, some of those accepted may decline the offer as well. In terms of the exact number of slots left, I am not sure. All the best to you! :)

Has anyone from the Oct-Dec applicant days heard back from the school lately?

Has anyone from the Oct-Dec applicant days heard back from the school lately?
Congrats @arsenalish ! Nov. applicant day in the US, and received admissions offer last week as well. It took more than 9 weeks for me to hear back from the school, so I know how waiting period can be excruciating. All the best to those who are still waiting for the good news!

Reactions: 2 users
OMG yay congrats @arsenalish and @snowpeach! Good luck to everyone else who's still waiting!
I am still waiting!!! How long did you guys have to wait for? Btw just throwing this out here for some opinions: as an international student is it more worthwhile to study MD in Duke-NUS or Sydney medical school (in terms of residency opportunity and education) ?

Congrats to those who've been accepted!! Do you mind sharing your stats?

My cousin was dismissed from Duke-NUS. He was so traumatised by the school that he wanted to kill himself. We did not know what happened until recently when he attempted to harm himself. He was a student with stellar results and the noble aspiration to devote himself towards healing people by becoming a doctor. Duke-NUS faculty did not teach him as they should have done. Rather they blamed him and told him that he was "not doing enough", "not working hard enough", "not smart enough", "not doing a good job". He had to redo without any support from Duke-NUS or its faculty. He studied more, practised more and tried harder. In his redo attempt Duke-NUS faculty came down on him even harder. He was feeling down and nobody empathised or helped him.

Finally Duke-NUS dismissed him. He was barely 2nd year, mid-way towards reaching his calling and purpose in life. Now he has become outlawed from Singapore for no fault of his. Duke-NUS promised to support him, help him achieve his goal of becoming a doctor, help him out with his service obligation to Singapore. Load of BS. All fake empty promises. The school did nothing of the sort. They abandoned him as soon as possible and he had to face the consequences alone. Now his chances at becoming a doctor in the US is practically zero.

What a useless and heartless school. Broke a good life with their callousness. My cousin did not deserve this.

Received offer today via email!
Interviewed in Jan
Will be attending

Last edited: