[2015-2016] EM Rank Order List Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
PS, anyone here from any of the Detroit hospitals? I'm just wondering where most residents live, and j can't find my folder from interview day

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Most residents I know live in Royal Oak.

Or if you're feeling adventurous, midtown by the Wayne State campus.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
PS, anyone here from any of the Detroit hospitals? I'm just wondering where most residents live, and j can't find my folder from interview day

Midtown is decent despite being overpriced. Royal oak and Ferndale are pretty popular as well. Henry Ford has on site resident housing as well

Does anyone know which program didn't initially fill and participated in the SOAP?

Members don't see this ad :)
Holding your rank list ransom? No one cares that much.

I know trolls gotta troll...but how can I hold something for ransom if it already belongs to me? It's an offered exchange for a question asked earlier in the thread that was never answered.

This is off topic, but this thread is still reasonably popular so I'll use this one instead of bumping a dead thread.

I am creating my schedule for next year and am trying to decide if I should take off December or January. I looked at the interview invite thread and it seemed that EM still pretty heavily interviews in December even with Christmas/NY. It also looked like there might be more interview opportunities in December than in January.

Anyone have any thoughts?

This is off topic, but this thread is still reasonably popular so I'll use this one instead of bumping a dead thread.

I am creating my schedule for next year and am trying to decide if I should take off December or January. I looked at the interview invite thread and it seemed that EM still pretty heavily interviews in December even with Christmas/NY. It also looked like there might be more interview opportunities in December than in January.

Anyone have any thoughts?

December.

For EM nearly everyone interviews in December. By the time January rolls around many applicants are done with interviews.

December.

For EM nearly everyone interviews in December. By the time January rolls around many applicants are done with interviews.

What about november, would it be reasonable to take something light like an ultrasound elective?

What about november, would it be reasonable to take something light like an ultrasound elective?

Yes. Most of my interviews were in November and the last was mid-December.

December.

Would I be at any sort of disadvantage back loading interviews to January?

My GF is going for derm and it's not unusual for interviews to come out in November/December. I'm planning to do local/big program interviews early, but keeps some in my back pocket in the hopes of increasing mutual interview sites.

Yes, or vacation. Having to work around rotations can be stressful w/ crappy preceptors.
Would I be at any sort of disadvantage back loading interviews to January?
Maybe. The bulk of interviews are Nov/Dec, and a lot of the programs I interviewed at had dates in January but not all programs. Its hard to explain but I felt like after xmas/new years things were winding down and my n = 2 interviews were not as strong or as meaningful as the ones in Nov/Dec. If you can get a few practice interviews in early Nov or late Oct and focus on your best interviews in Nov/Dec you will be fine.

Congrats on being smart and matching in Detroit..expect a lot of autonomy, some of the sickest people in the country, and supreme (and underrated) training. Detroit is not what it used to be...most live within a few miles of the hospital. Look at downtown, midtown, New Center, Corktown, Woodbridge neighborhoods. Plenty to do and plenty of great places to live that ins't *royal oak* (ugh).

My likes: "family" feel of residents and faculty, diverse patient population and residents/faculty, integrated EMS and Peds training, minimum 4w elective PGY2&3, allowed to do out of state wilderness medicine electives, commute less than 20 minutes to each hospital. My top three will be so hard to really pin down.
1. Univ of Rochester
2. WVU
3. AGH
4. UPMC
5. Drexel
6. Rutgers
7. Loma Linda
8. Albert Einstein Philly
(Completed 8/11 scheduled interviews thus far)

Wrong thread. This is for last year's cycle.

Last edited:
Oh man, I just got real excited people were balling out and already posting their rank lists.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile