[2015-2016] EM Rank Order List Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Here are the programs (not in a particular order). Please help me rule out some of these programs. I do have my favorites in mind but I always like to hear your takes on these programs.

About me: I am in the process of getting divorced with 2kids. Have family in FL. Med school in Mid-west.

NY/NJ Programs (SUNY Downstate, NS-LIJ, Staten Island, Brookdale, Stony, Beth Israel Newark, Morristown, Rutgers Newark)
Florida Programs (University of Florida College of Medicine Jacksonville, University of Florida - Gainesville, Jackson Miami)
Midwest Programs (OSU, Wright S, Akron Gen, U of Toledo, St. Vs, St. Johns, CMU, Henry Ford, Beaumont)
Well, the easiest way to rule some out would be not go on so many freaking interviews, but whatever. Where do you want to live? You could easily pick your top two regions and just rank those if you wanted. You also have new programs in there. A lot of people with your number of interviews might rule those out I suppose.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have any constructive input on the NYC area 3 year programs (Methodist, Maimo, NSUH, MS-BI, MS-SLR, NS-Staten Island, NYHQ, Metropolitan, etc.)?

An interesting lack of west coast discussion on this thread

Reactions: 1 user
I know there's a few of us lurking. Curious how everyone who applied to dual programs is making their list.
I'm torn between ranking a program higher because of the type of program vs ranking an EM program higher because of overall "feels"

Does anyone have any constructive input on the NYC area 3 year programs (Methodist, Maimo, NSUH, MS-BI, MS-SLR, NS-Staten Island, NYHQ, Metropolitan, etc.)?

I interviewed at some, here are some thoughts. As a general theme it seems like the 3yr programs are overshadowed by the 4yr ones but they still seem to have a lot to offer.

- Maimo - feels underrated. Lots of medically sick patients, good focus on critcal care. Lacking in terms of trauma (not trying to start another trauma conversation) but they do spend some time at shock to make up for it.
- MS-BI - really liked the PD (she really seems to advocate for her residents), location is great
- NYHQ - not sure about it but it seems pretty good, +patient diversity
- Staten Island - location hurts this program a lot for most people but otherwise it seemed solid

I interviewed at some, here are some thoughts. As a general theme it seems like the 3yr programs are overshadowed by the 4yr ones but they still seem to have a lot to offer.

- Maimo - feels underrated. Lots of medically sick patients, good focus on critcal care. Lacking in terms of trauma (not trying to start another trauma conversation) but they do spend some time at shock to make up for it.
- MS-BI - really liked the PD (she really seems to advocate for her residents), location is great
- NYHQ - not sure about it but it seems pretty good, +patient diversity
- Staten Island - location hurts this program a lot for most people but otherwise it seemed solid
I think Maimonides might be one of the most underrated programs as far as scope of pathology, and while I agree that the location of Staten Island is not ideal, no one disagrees that this program isn't amazing (best pay nationwide, excellent scope of path and trauma, plus if the island isn't your cup of tea, Brooklyn is a doable option that everyone there does).

The next person that posts a separate thread asking for help to compare program x vs program y....I literally might lose my **** lol!!

Reactions: 2 users
An interesting lack of west coast discussion on this thread

Also a lack of southeastern program discussion. It's like everyone is all obsessed with New York programs. But I loved only applying to the southeastern programs. Friendly people, friendly residents/PDs, good cost of living, winters don't last forever. And some GREAT programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
dj-khaled-another-one-1.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
I was wondering if I could get the help of people on this thread...I'm literally stuck and torn between two huge decisions, both options great in their own right but I just liked them both so much that I'm trying to get outside perspective. They both have the same flavor as far as what they can offer me...So do I go with coke, or do I choose Pepsi???

Reactions: 3 users
I was wondering if I could get the help of people on this thread...I'm literally stuck and torn between two huge decisions, both options great in their own right but I just liked them both so much that I'm trying to get outside perspective. They both have the same flavor as far as what they can offer me...So do I go with coke, or do I choose Pepsi???

Please make this thread.

How do people feel about the new EM programs, and just new programs in general?

anyone go to the UMD's social? How were the residents?

Used to be pepsi, but the new aspartame-free tastes like rectal effluent.

Coke zero.

PS - pretty please start this thread. d=)

Didn't realize this was Fox800 forums. Stay cool, my child.
The main reason why we created 4 applicant threads over the course of the past 5 months is for the single purpose of consolidation (so things aren't scattered everywhere, and discombobulated). Maybe I am a type A medical student after all lol.

What were everyone's thoughts on the Peoria program? Preferably, thoughts on fellowship opportunities (either with the program or elsewhere) and job opportunities (in locations such as SF and NYC). I really liked the hospital layout, benefits (yes including the free food mentioned somewhere in this forum), and the fact that it's 3 years. However, I felt the negatives were location and trauma experience of only two months (yeah... I brought this up again).

What were everyone's thoughts on the Peoria program? Preferably, thoughts on fellowship opportunities (either with the program or elsewhere) and job opportunities (in locations such as SF and NYC). I really liked the hospital layout, benefits (yes including the free food mentioned somewhere in this forum), and the fact that it's 3 years. However, I felt the negatives were location and trauma experience of only two months (yeah... I brought this up again).

Trauma didn't worry me. Overall I liked the program. Wanting to do a fellowship, I focused pretty heavily on programs that send a decent number to fellowships and felt I'd get the support there that I needed. I actually really liked Peoria as a town, but I'm a mid to smaller town kind of person (no NYC for me ).
Downside for me was I felt the residents were all lovely but very much the married and settled down kind of people and while I fall into that stereotype myself, I was hoping for a bit more of a mix. Also a little wary of the religious association of the hospital (even though practically it won't really matter but I've had bad experiences that make me a little gun shy). But overall I liked it. I think they really stressed the flight side which isn't my cup of tea, but if you want to fly, it s a great place to do it.

Hopefully that's a little opinion to help your decision.

I'm just an intern so I haven't gone through the fellowship application process, but I'm pretty sure it won't make a huge difference. Same goes for job opportunities. It mainly depends upon your fellowship interests and whether or not those interests are reflected in the program. Peoria's "track" system seemed like it would set you up pretty well to apply to some fellowships (EMS and academics were two that appealed to me when I interviewed there). I don't recall if the had much emphasis on things like admin or wilderness.

I met a Peoria grad while I was in medical school who had the kind of gig I think many of us would want - West coast, good group, etc, etc. He also worked as a medical director for a flight service and did not need a fellowship to get any of these things. At any rate, I loved the program. If it weren't in Peoria, it probably would be one of the most sought after programs around. You really should not let the trauma experience affect your decision making. As others have said, it is not that big of a deal. I did think it was weird that their traumas were run parallel to the main ED but that no one who was on the ED service at the time would participate in a trauma if it came through the doors. Honestly, probably more efficient for resident learning to not get caught up in that stuff and just see more patients.

Anyhow, I loved Peoria. Such a cool program with great people.

Has anyone done a shadowing shift/rotation at Maricopa? If so, what were your thoughts? I really liked the program and wanted to do a second look but travel expenses made it impossible.

DO student, 250+/250+, 3 aways (honors/honors/HP), paramedic experience. Biggest factors for me were reputation, acuity/pathology, and fit. I interviewed at some phenomenal programs in smaller areas, but I decided that I wanted to live in a larger city.
  1. Hennepin: Stellar reputation, EM dominates and owns all traumas/procedures, very well-funded with lots of nice toys, best didactics I saw, awesome SIM, FOAM (HQMedEd), big emphasis on critical care & ultrasound. Lots of research. Pit boss role PGY-3 supervising junior residents & med students. 9-hour shifts w/overlap. Paid EMS education opportunities for residents. Cons: harsh Minnesota winters, schedule seems harder than most places. Residents take hyperbarics call during some EM months. No airways until PGY-3.
  2. Nevada: the most fun group of residents I met on the trail. Las Vegas seems like a really fun place to train. Best event medicine anywhere. I would be so excited to work EDC, Burning Man, ski patrol, etc. Opportunity to do EMS medical direction as a resident. Largest trauma catchment area in the US. Tons of procedures. Residents carry the airway pager. Cons: 12-hour shifts (18/17/16), awkward interview with PD (I wasn't the only one to experience this). Concerns about weaker didactics but these were allayed by current residents.
  3. UT Houston: a great program with incredible acuity. Highest trauma volume in the country. Overall admission rate 40% (2.5x national average). Memorial Hermann & Texas Children's are huge tertiary hospitals...training here means you will see and do it all. I loved the mixture of tertiary (Hermann/TCH) and county (LBJ). Opportunity to do two all expenses paid international months (Fiji!) Cons: Traffic and humidity. I'm kind of over Houston. 60-70% of your EM shifts are 12-hours, residents seemed tired on my interview day.
  4. UT San Antonio: A newer program with a lot to love. Fun, young faculty that seem to get along great with their residents. Thoughtfully-designed program with 8-hour shifts and a nice new ED staffed to run without residents. Residents carry the code pager, PGY-3 pit boss role supervising residents & med students (similar to Hennepin). 28% overall admission rate (higher than average). Great way to become involved in med student education as all UTHSCSA MS3s have EM as a core rotation. Interesting combined OB/rural EM month in the Rio Grande Valley. APD (Dr. Muck) was the most fun interviewer I had on the trail and he's taking over as the PD in the near-future. The Texas Hill Country is beautiful. Cons: five sites to rotate through with separate EMR systems.
  5. Miami/Jackson: brand-new program in an awesome city. Drs. Baez and Kapur have a great vision. Largest public hospital in the country, Ryder Trauma Center is world famous and military surgeons train there. Critical care and pediatric EM fellowships already in operation + EMS in the works. 1-on-1 training with the attendings as the first class of residents. Miami beaches and nightlife. Beautiful SIM center. Mixture of 8/10/12 hour shifts to have more weekends off. Cons: inevitable growing pains and potential turf wars with medicine/surgery. Miami traffic and cost of living. Community site (Holy Cross) is 45 minutes away from Jackson.
  6. USF: gorgeous hospital with world-class beaches nearby. 40% admission rate (2.5x national average and on-par with UT Houston). Residents can do one "teaching month" each year with reduced EM shifts, which seemed like a great idea. Very cool elective opportunities (I saw a ski patrol month and an EMS month in New Zealand). Residents remarked it was easy to reduce your ER shifts by going to conferences. Cons: Lackluster feel. Residents were nice but didn't seem very excited to sell their program. ~80% 12-hour shifts.
  7. Christus Spohn: hidden gem on the ocean, great place to train to be a community EP. Super-benign faculty and friendly residents. Unopposed residency program so residents get all procedures and lots of 1-on-1 time with attendings. Good amount of trauma because it's the only trauma center between San Antonio and the Mexican border. Very low cost of living (can live downtown or on the ocean as a resident), insanely lucrative moonlighting opportunities. 9-hour shifts with overlap. Cons: isolated (2 hours from a major airport), relatively unknown, regional program. Corpus area is pretty but not very big (metro population 300K).
  8. Peoria: EMS heaven. Paid flight shifts on the busiest air medical service in Illinois, tactical and ground EMS opportunities, EMS track + NAEMSP certification if you're interested. Best-designed ED I saw, gorgeous SIM center. Very benign faculty and happy residents. Highest trauma volume in Illinois (higher than Chicago). Excellent peds experience (Children's Hospital of Illinois is attached and 25% of ED patients are peds). Very low cost-of-living. 10.5-hour shifts. Cons: Peoria. It's a smaller city that's isolated (2-2.5 hours to Chicago or St. Louis), but a great place if you have a family. Trauma is a separate rotation which is odd.
  9. Baylor: High-acuity with lots of trauma and sick, sick patients. Young, fun faculty. EM oncology month at MD Anderson (unique), multiple tracks that you can select including EMS, peds, ultrasound, etc. Mixture of 8/10/12 hour shifts to have more weekends off. Cons: someone else wrote "pure county" and that is 100% accurate. The ED is short on ancillary staff, resources, and equipment and clearly is in financial distress. It's cramped, dingy, and needs to be remodeled. It came close to losing its level 1 trauma status a few months ago. Homogeneous patient population (homeless, uninsured, undocumented) compared to other programs. Recently changed their PD and lost a few faculty members. A few residents came across as aloof/arrogant.
  10. Western Michigan: Flight medicine experience as a third-rider but you function as a physician and not an observer. Multiple tracks including EMS and air medical. The most ICU time I saw of any program (9 months holy crap!), +/- depending on your viewpoint. Excellent SIM lab thanks to the med school being flush with money. Cons: Residents seemed either content or "blah" about the program, few looked genuinely happy. More than one resident cited weak ultrasound education. Kalamazoo as a city seemed disappointing if you're single. Residents admitted they didn't know everyone in the program because the classes are so big (20 residents/year). "8-hour shifts" at Bronson turn into 10-hour shifts because residents don't have time to chart between patients. Stupid Michigan osteopathic rule that eats up your elective time if you want to moonlight in MI (DO residents get around this by moonlighting in Indiana instead). Weird interview with the PD left a bad impression on me.
  11. Mercy St. Vincent: Big emphasis on flight experience as a PGY 2 & 3, and doing one 24-hour flight shift replaces 2 ER shifts in the same month. EM residents dominate the hospital and carry the code pager. Night shifts are all scheduled together in blocks. Residents can be EMS medical directors and get involved in EMS education. Friendly group of residents. Seems like great training to make you a community EP. 10-hour shifts. Cons: Toledo sucks. It's a mid-size (metro 600K+) rust belt city with a lot of crime. The downtown area is a ghost town. Most residents live in the suburbs. Everything that was EMS-related and cool, Peoria did better. Residents cited weak OB experience. Hospital was older but adequate. No orientation block.
  12. Brookdale: high-volume trauma center in the absolute worst part of NYC. Other programs send their EM residents here for trauma experience. The PD seemed like a great guy, very personable and down to earth. Cons: brand-new program. The hospital is clearly in financial distress and is only kept open with funding from New York State. The hospital is old (looks like it was built in the 1960s) and needs to be destroyed and re-built. ED is small and cramped. Patient population was homogenous like Baylor (poor, uninsured). 12-hour shifts all the time. Insanely high NYC cost of living + mediocre salary.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Woah. That would make me think twice. I've heard great things about Hennepin but I can't imagine 2/3 of my residency avoiding all the airways.

You get ALL of the airways your PGY-3 year, so it's a wash.

Last edited:
Does anyone's home program have an open policy about staying put?

Does anyone's home program have an open policy about staying put?

What do you mean? Like, asking students to tell them if they want to stay at the home program and hinting that they'll help make that happen? If so, yes. Mine has that.

You get ALL of the airways your PGY-3 year, so it's a wash.
Did you ask why they implemented that rule? It sounds kind of ridiculous. I think that'd be a huge red flag for me. I would much rather have 3 years of getting comfortable with airways, rather than just a single year.

If you get the same # of airways in the span of 1 year as other residents do in the span of 3, I wouldn't see it as a big problem.

The problem is that all those airway lectures you get during your conferences are essentially worthless until 3rd year because you have no grasp of what they are talking about until you are physically intubating a crashing patient with a difficult airway. Rather than having 3 years of instruction on how to better your technique, you only have one. Rather than having bad habits being caught and fixed 6 months into intern year regarding your technique, you are going several months into your 3rd year before they are fixed with only a few months left in residency. Not to mention I'd be upset that despite being completely capable of intubating, I'm not allowed to as a 1st and 2nd year due to a silly rule. That is just my opinion, however, and I am sure many will disagree.

Reactions: 5 users
If you get the same # of airways in the span of 1 year as other residents do in the span of 3, I wouldn't see it as a big problem.
I wouldn't necessarily see that as a problem. But it does seem weird. 3rd year seems like when you should be getting better at general management of an ED, not running around tubing everyone else's patients.

I wouldn't necessarily see that as a problem. But it does seem weird. 3rd year seems like when you should be getting better at general management of an ED, not running around tubing everyone else's patients.
I rotated there and they definitely have a strict graduated responsibility and it is not something I feel would suit my learning style. G3s are absolutely super capable of running the ED pod they're in and codes on the whole. There is an opportunity to rotate at Regions as a pgy2 which I heard a lot of HCMC try to do because they can get airways that way (but according to Regions more want to switch from Hennepin than Regions.)

The problem is that all those airway lectures you get during your conferences are essentially worthless until 3rd year because you have no grasp of what they are talking about until you are physically intubating a crashing patient with a difficult airway. Rather than having 3 years of instruction on how to better your technique, you only have one. Rather than having bad habits being caught and fixed 6 months into intern year regarding your technique, you are going several months into your 3rd year before they are fixed with only a few months left in residency. Not to mention I'd be upset that despite being completely capable of intubating, I'm not allowed to as a 1st and 2nd year due to a silly rule. That is just my opinion, however, and I am sure many will disagree.

That's the main reason why I never applied to Hennepin. Although, I will say overall its a great program and otherwise very strong.

Just my opinion but I'd much rather have 3 years of progressive airway experience then everything all at once. My favorite programs were those where you spent R1 learning the basics and getting comfortable with intubations, R2 mastering your technique and focusing on difficult intubations, then R3/R4 supervising and teaching junior residents.

I rotated there and they definitely have a strict graduated responsibility and it is not something I feel would suit my learning style. G3s are absolutely super capable of running the ED pod they're in and codes on the whole. There is an opportunity to rotate at Regions as a pgy2 which I heard a lot of HCMC try to do because they can get airways that way (but according to Regions more want to switch from Hennepin than Regions.)

Ironically Regions does the exact opposite of Hennepin and tries to get their R1s as many intubations as possible.

In my program intubations all go to the intern with upper years as back up if they miss. This includes an upper year's own patients if the ED is not exploding. The exception is traumatic airways which is done by the senior resident. Having only 3rd year residents intubate sounds terrible regardless of the fact they hit their numbers. I still think you'd probably get more if it was spaced out over the 3 years. My question would be do they do an anesthesia rotation during 3rd year then?!

As a third year I only intubate if I'm nights and my backup is an off-service resident. Otherwise, almost every airway I have I will pass off to my interns and second year residents.

Submitted via Google Forms

Main Considerations in Creating this ROL: Location, strong reputation, didactics, well-balanced curriculum, faculty and residents, moonlighting, opportunity to pursue a career in academia or community EM.

1) Vandy: +Completely blown away by this program. Unparalleled dedication to teaching. Dr Slovis' lecture was amazing. Strong ultrasound and peds. Great faculty and residents. Balanced curriculum with no floor months. Moonlighting opportunities 2nd (internal) and 3rd year. 3 yr program with possible fourth chief year. Nashville. Low COL. -Country music

2) Carolinas: +Very strong 3 yr program with great reputation. Top notch peds EM faculty. Got along very well with residents. Supportive leadership. Charlotte. Low COL. Cam Newton's dancing. -Lot of off service rotations first year. Internal moonlighting only.

3) Highland: +Solid 4 yr west coast program. Awesome faculty and residents. High acuity. Great peds at Oakland Children's. Lot of autonomy and run ED as a 2nd year. Dr Wills and Duong are awesome people and seem to really support residents. Great ultrasound experience. Lots of elective time and vacation time. Strongest international support that I saw on the trail. Love the Bay Area. -COL was the biggest con here (although the salary is higher than most other places I interviewed.

4) BMC +Very strong 4 yr program. Balanced curriculum and very cool residents. Trauma heavy. Unique set up with 2nd year as procedure year. EM truly owns trauma (airway and procedures for every trauma). Boston is a great city. -4 yr program. Not many moonlighting experiences. High COL.

5) LSU New Orleans: +Gorgeous new hospital with reflection pools and paintings in the trauma bays. Trauma heavy. Moonlight PGY2-4. Dr Suau and residents were very down to earth. Lot of ED time and different sites in the community. Lot of elective time. 2 weekends off per month. NOLA is an amazing city. -4 yr program. Have heard that New Orleans job market isn't the greatest. Didn't seem as strong as top 3.

6-10) Cook County, UCLA Harbor, Stanford, UCSF, BIDMC

The rest: Maricopa, UC Irvine, Kaiser San Diego, USF, UTSW, MGH/BWH

Main Considerations in Creating this ROL: Proximity to family, job availability for non-medical SO, fit, COL, and how much I felt the PD was invested in caring about the residents were the heaviest factors. Not a single program felt like I would be poorly trained or completely miserable. Felt pretty strongly about 1-4, beyond that everything is somewhat interchangeable and would be happy to train at any of these places. Very minute gut feelings distinguishing the others. Personally, I don't care even a little bit about trauma volume.

1) Carolinas: Really not much to add that hasn't already been said in the past. Just smart, good people that care about each other from the interns to the chair. Fantastic teaching, reasearch, and reputation. Interesting spectrum of patients. Charlotte is young, growing city with reasonable COL, mild winters, close to family. Strong in peds, US, tox, anything really. Dream program.

2) UNC: Liked the dual hospital system and felt like I really clicked with the residency leadership. Love the strong female mentorship available (Tintinalli, PD, Chair). Lots of track system opportunities for potential fellowship set up. Mild winters, close to family. Reasonable COL Cons: Had one weird interaction with one of the residents at the pre-interview dinner, but liked enough of the rest of the program and everyone else to ignore it. Lots of commuting, but gives the option of a couple of different areas to live in.

3) Georgetown: Loved the PD and really everything about this program except the COL in DC. Some interesting opportunities with shock trauma in MD, proximity to health policy, and peds at Children's. SO's professional network is mainly based in DC. Cons: No moonlighting to offset high COL because of requirement to have licenses in MD, DC, and VA over training licenses. Traffic. Three feet of snow in 36 hours.

4) Wake Forest: Again, close to family. Went in with no idea what to expect, but I was really surprised by how much I loved this program. Really down to earth, fun residents, got along well with the PD. He seems incredibly invested in continuous improvement of the program and advocacy for the residents. Same vibe of camaraderie all around I got at Carolinas. Strong US training, large catchment area. Dirt cheap COL Cons: Would probably be higher on the list if Winston-Salem were a little bit bigger and had slightly more job opportunities for SO.

5) UVA: Great group of residents. PD really cares about the residents and optimizing learning. Fit well during the residents and leadership. Close to family. Cheap COL, loved Charlottesville Cons: Some weird floor months (peds surgery?) but residents seem to think it's valuable. Difficult for SO to get a job, maybe a weaker PEM experience.

6) and Beyond in no particular order:

Emory - Not sure if I want a straight county program, but liked all the residents and Atlanta a lot, and got the stiff interview from the PD experienced by others. Felt like there were fantastic opportunities here. COL is reasonable, big airport hub for travel anywhere. Farther from family. Lots of traffic, safety concerns around the hospital.

MUSC - Residency leadership was amazing and so personable. Probably the most fun group of residents I met on the trail. Seems like they have everything sorted out for a newer program. Charleston was a beautiful city, but COL is higher for a smaller town without the same job opportunities for SO to offset cost. Smaller class size, can be pro or con.

UC Davis - Strong social support and family nearby. COL for California is reasonable. Maybe a weaker peds experience. Liked the PD and the set up of the program with dual community hospital, just didn't click with others on interview day. Felt more rigid and awkward than any of the other interviews. Admittedly my worst performance. The interview burnout was real. Really wanted to love it here, but left feeling lukewarm about it.

University of Arizona - Tucson was better than expected. Really, really strong program. Residents seemed more than competent, just didn't feel like the right fit overall. Too far from family and not enough opportunities for SO to swing it.

Baylor- Again, not sure if I want pure county. Didn't mind Houston, but wasn't my favorite. The whole let's put all the hospitals in one spot for 7 million people doesn't make sense to me. New PD seems really great with a good vision of where he wants the program to be, too many rumors directly from people who rotated there about problems within the program. Liked the diversity of the residents.

WashU - Young, innovative residency leadership with a heavy emphasis on helping residents becoming better teachers. SO decided they didn't want to live in STL the week after the interview.

Yale - Unbelievable resources. PD was very impressive. New Haven was nicer than expected. Was an early favorite in the season, but enthusiasm waned as I got to know a few other programs better. Not as many jobs for SO. Farther from family. Higher COL.

Main Considerations in Creating this ROL: I focused on the overall big picture and gestalt over certain specifics such as location, moonlighting, reputation, etc.

1) Case Western MetroHealth: Pros–strong flight program, shifts at the Cleveland Clinic, all 10's (reasonable to me), good vibe from the residents and faculty, good moonlighting opportunities, protected holiday blocks. Cons–free time will take a hit compared to my number 2.

2) University Hospitals - Case (a very close 2nd for me): Pros–great people comprise this program, fun residents, nice facilities, great location within Cleveland, attained level 1 status recently, professional sports (Browns) coverage, lots of elective time. Cons–paper records until this past December, and then they acquired AllScripts (never been a huge fan).

3) UF Jacksonville: Pros–long standing program, procedure city, sick population, I have friends currently in each class of the program, home state, beaches. Cons–first year 12's (plus rounding), long commutes.

4) UT Chattanooga: Pros–good flight experience, fun residents who seemed very pleased, COL, lots of outdoor recreation in Chatt, Nashville and Atlanta are within a reasonable drive. Cons–small town with poor job considerations for SO, fairly religious Southern town.

5) Jackson Memorial - Miami: Pros–patient population is prime for EM training, large public hospital, ambitious PD, diverse faculty, Miami beaches. Cons–COL is insane, traffic, the culture in Miami can be abrasive at times.

Does anyone remember the shift schedule at Stanford or ACMC, ie. # of shifts per month or #hours per shift? Is there shift reduction each year? I really liked both of these programs, but I can't seem to remember the details about their schedules. Thanks.