2015-2016 Imi Ho'ola Post-Bac Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

808mdhopeful

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This thread is being started for those who applied to the Imi Ho'ola Post-bac program that is affiliated with the University of Hawaii medical school (John A Burns School of Medicine). Please post progress and/or updates of the program. The deadline to apply was November 1, 2014.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have to meet kama'aina status to apply to this program? I meet two out of the required 3 but was told that I may be given a discretionary point for the md program because my ties to Hawaii or so strong.

For Imi Ho'ola Program do I need to have all 3 points out right?

Nope! It's driving me nuts. I try calling the office and no one ever answers.

Do you have to meet kama'aina status to apply to this program? I meet two out of the required 3 but was told that I may be given a discretionary point for the md program because my ties to Hawaii or so strong.

I don't think you have to be Kamaaina but there is a screen they do. I don't know what they screen for but I think they look where you graduated from regarding either high school or college or maybe even both, parents, place of birth maybe? Sorry I don't know much. I think it might be on their website what they look for.

I don't think you have to be Kamaaina but there is a screen they do. I don't know what they screen for but I think they look where you graduated from regarding either high school or college or maybe even both, parents, place of birth maybe? Sorry I don't know much. I think it might be on their website what they look for.

Thanks for your reply. You wouldn't happen to know what the average gpa(s) are and mcat is? I know the minimums are really low but no one gets in with just the minimums.

No idea. That's what I'm worried about. It's weird though because some of the people who don't finish the program sometimes end up being accepted elsewhere or into another med school which makes me question this program a bit because if some of these people get into med school outside of Hawaii, which means they're probably looking for people who have higher than average scores.

No idea. That's what I'm worried about. It's weird though because some of the people who don't finish the program sometimes end up being accepted elsewhere or into another med school which makes me question this program a bit because if some of these people get into med school outside of Hawaii, which means they're probably looking for people who have higher than average scores.
I didn't know that there are people who quite and get in elsewhere. You're right, they must have above average stats. I do remember talking with this guy while I was there for the PBL demo. He was in the program and said he had a 30 MCAT.

They accept 12 applicants. Their rate of people finishing the program is 50%, so every year people drop out. I think a class two years ago only had half the class stay in the program. Oh do you know what that guy's GPA was or what his background was?

They accept 12 applicants. Their rate of people finishing the program is 50%, so every year people drop out. I think a class two years ago only had half the class stay in the program. Oh do you know what that guy's GPA was or what his background was?
No sorry. I do remember that he was Chinese if that means anything.

Edit: so much for keeping people in Hawaii

Members don't see this ad :)
I see. Haha. Well hope we hear something soon. I honestly don't know what to expect!

Can't wait for the first week of April! I heard it is the same interviewing process as the MD program. Two community/student interviews and one with the director (all must be scheduled by the interviewee). And right back at ya 808md, I have been having a hard time getting someone on the phone.

Can't wait for the first week of April! I heard it is the same interviewing process as the MD program. Two community/student interviews and one with the director (all must be scheduled by the interviewee). And right back at ya 808md, I have been having a hard time getting someone on the phone.

Ooooh where did you hear that?

B
I have a friend who is in the program right now and she told me all about it. Does anyone know how many they interview?
Not sure. I haven't been able to go to any of their info meetings. Do you happen to know her stats?

B

Not sure. I haven't been able to go to any of their info meetings. Do you happen to know her stats?
Ah I see and no I didn't ask. But I was gonna go off the stats that "me too" mentioned. I hope that is not the case or else that is pretty competitive!

Yep, first time! Yours?
It's my first time applying also. I've met several people who went through the program and their stats varied. I think it's all depends on what they're looking for in a particular class. I heard some people have master's degrees prior to applying while others don't. It's all over the place and everyone has different academic backgrounds. I called sometime last year and they said the average GPA was around a 3.0 and the average MCAT was an 8 in each section. But she also informed me that just because you think you fall short of a specific stat, you're still encouraged to apply. It's nerve racking! I would be ecstatic with the opportunity for an interview.

https://prezi.com//imi-hoola-post-baccalaureate-program/

^^ the link above is a presentation on Imi that I found on Google. It's similar if not identical to the one I saw when I went to an informational session. It touches on all aspects of the program, including meeting Kama'aina requirements. Hope it helps!

It's my first time applying also. I've met several people who went through the program and their stats varied. I think it's all depends on what they're looking for in a particular class. I heard some people have master's degrees prior to applying while others don't. It's all over the place and everyone has different academic backgrounds. I called sometime last year and they said the average GPA was around a 3.0 and the average MCAT was an 8 in each section. But she also informed me that just because you think you fall short of a specific stat, you're still encouraged to apply. It's nerve racking! I would be ecstatic with the opportunity for an interview.
Yeah I hear it varies too but I don't know what to expect. They had informational sessions about the program? Do you know what kind of people they're looking for?

The criteria for the program is listed in the link above ^^^. I know they put a large emphasis on retaining students in Hawaii after their training with hopes they will practice in rural areas.

Just received an interview invitation!

Reactions: 1 user
Wow those are some impressive stats. Are you from the island? Did you apply to other schools or programs as well?

Wow those are some impressive stats. Are you from the island? Did you apply to other schools or programs as well?
Thanks! I was born and raised in Honolulu but I am currently on the mainland working. I did apply to other schools but I would prefer to receive training in HI. What about you?

Thanks! I was born and raised in Honolulu but I am currently on the mainland working. I did apply to other schools but I would prefer to receive training in HI. What about you?
Born and raised here, public school educated, working in Hawaii currently as a teacher. What is the interview process like? I hear you're supposed to meet with three or four people.

Born and raised here, public school educated, working in Hawaii currently as a teacher. What is the interview process like? I hear you're supposed to meet with three or four people.
Yes so during the process you would meet with 2 interviewers from the community and also with the director of the Imi Program. So it is very similar to the process applying for the medical school. There is no specific order that they should be interviewed but there is a deadline. I am not sure if it is different with other invites though.