2015-2016 Interview Gossip/Chit-Chat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Xander Cruz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Based on old threads, invites probably won't be coming out for at least another 4-6 weeks but since this thread has popped up around now in previous years, I figured I'd get it started.

2014-2015 Interview Gossip/Chit-Chat
2013-2014 Interview Gossip/Chit-Chat
2012-2013 Interview Gossip/Chit-Chat

2014-2015 Google Doc Interview Spreadsheet

This year:
2015-2016 RadOnc Interview Spreadsheet

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Based on old threads, invites probably won't be coming out for at least another 4-6 weeks but since this thread has popped up around now in previous years, I figured I'd get it started.

2014-2015 Interview Gossip/Chit-Chat
2013-2014 Interview Gossip/Chit-Chat
2012-2013 Interview Gossip/Chit-Chat

2014-2015 Google Doc Interview Spreadsheet

Should we start a new Google Doc with this year's applicant data?

Good idea. Here's the new google doc.

2015-16 Radiation Oncology Interview Spreadsheet

Enjoy and good luck folks. Feel free to improve it. There may be a program or two from last year that is not taking applicants this year. I added in AGH which is taking applicants this year.

Reactions: 1 user
Just saw on the spreadsheet that interview offers went out already from Mayo Florida? Isn't this kind of early given that most schools havent sent out their deans letter?

People that've gotten those interviews care to share their stats?

Thanks! CBIC

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else having issues with the spreadsheet? When I try to look at it it gives me a "you don't have permission to look at this" message and makes me reload it, only to do the same thing. Also, I can't see any applicant data, and the main sheet only goes through Pennsylvania. Any thoughts?

Hey guys thanks for making the spreadsheet, it's very useful, even if it takes the anxiety to a new level! I noticed someone had previously written 0 spots for UT San Antonio, and one of my classmates applying there for an away was politely told not to waste an away on them this year. Any opinions if they have a strong candidate chosen, or just not going into the match this year? Thanks

Linacalicious you've probably already tried this, but check if you have an updated version of excel.

Anyone else having issues with the spreadsheet? When I try to look at it it gives me a "you don't have permission to look at this" message and makes me reload it, only to do the same thing. Also, I can't see any applicant data, and the main sheet only goes through Pennsylvania. Any thoughts?

You can try using a different browser, such as chrome

I'm seeing dates filled in for programs where interviews haven't been extended. Can anyone comment on this?

I'm seeing dates filled in for programs where interviews haven't been extended. Can anyone comment on this?

Some programs have posted their interview dates on the program website. I've been assuming every program with dates and no invites falls into that category

Maybe it's some friendly residents who already know their program's dates and remember the frustration of not finding out until you're already double-booked...

Ah, thanks. Should've known it was the ridiculous computers our school has.

Members don't see this ad :)
Another anon user who received invite from Mayo Jax

I also received an interview invite and just wanted to add my experience to also give others a bit of hope.

-No away at Mayo Jacksonville.
-Below average (for the field) Step 1, haven't taken Step 2 CK yet, not AOA
-Strong research with publications

Relax, it will all work out. I know it is hard not to stress. I remember myself about this time last year looking at it all the time being like oh man I wonder why i wasn't invited (it's not all stats). You will see programs send out invites and most of you will not be invited (small field, few spots per place available, lot of people apply broadly); others will come and most of you will match. Good luck!

Some programs have posted their interview dates on the program website. I've been assuming every program with dates and no invites falls into that category

This might be true for some programs but I don't think it explains them all. I can't find any place on Yale's webpage that says what the interview dates are but the spreadsheet says they are December 3rd and 10th.

Everyone relax, last year a few friends of mine at different programs would tell me when dates were and I filled them in on said spreadsheet-- it is helpful to know in advance to try to avoid double booking-- just because there are dates filled in definitely does not mean invites went out.

Reactions: 1 users
This spreadsheet is awesome. It figures that the (probable) most research-heavy field would spawn such a ridiculous anonymous data table. I also learned a few formulas/tricks I didn't know existed in Google Sheets, thanks guys. Now I need to find a script which will text me when a school has sent out invites...

Reactions: 3 users
UCSF sent out today? One date only?

Also WOW the stats sheet is impressive. Median step 1 255 so far...y'all are impressive

Are people receiving prelim/TY interviews? I only have 2 so far and wondering if its still early for those as well.

Are people receiving prelim/TY interviews? I only have 2 so far and wondering if its still early for those as well.

I'm hoping that's the case. I'm also sitting on two TY/PY invites right now, still waiting for more.

Good luck!

Anyone know if Oregon's program will be taking applications? Their status is "Incomplete Registration"

Moffitt/USF doing their interview Jan 4th is rough for travel costs. January 3rd is one of the most expensive days of the year to fly...

Uh, so I'm not really one to worry about this sort of thing, but is it bad that I don't have any interviews yet, with 20 or 25% of programs having sent out interviews already?

The couple other applicants I know have a few.

I was wondering the same - like, is it really not panic time, yet? My applicant (an AOA MD/PhD with a 250's step 1 and other good stuff) has no offers so far, and one rejection letter to boot. I wasn't naive enough to think those stats would, you know, blow the field away...but I also didn't expect a goose egg this far in. It is nerve-wracking.

I was wondering the same - like, is it really not panic time, yet? My applicant (an AOA MD/PhD with a 250's step 1 and other good stuff) has no offers so far, and one rejection letter to boot. I wasn't naive enough to think those stats would, you know, blow the field away...but I also didn't expect a goose egg this far in. It is nerve-wracking.

For what its worth it, several of the rad onc residents at my home institution said they didn't get their first few interviews until early November then ultimately ended up getting more than 10.

Uh, so I'm not really one to worry about this sort of thing, but is it bad that I don't have any interviews yet, with 20 or 25% of programs having sent out interviews already?

The couple other applicants I know have a few.

For what its worth it, several of the rad onc residents at my home institution said they didn't get their first few interviews until early November then ultimately ended up getting more than 10.

Remember ASTRO is this week, which is kind of late I guess? Things will probably pick up quite soon. As in next week. I didn't get too many invites, but they ranged from early October to mid December. November should be a big month.

My home program told me they won't even have their file reviews done until the end of this week, and then MAYBE will start sending out invites next week, but probably the first week of November. One of the Attendings I spoke with who is involved in residency admissions was entirely unconcerned that I don't have interviews at this point, and also echoed the "wait till November" line.

Guys don't worry. Last year there were like 1.04 applicants per spot, everyone will do fine. Most attendings are still at ASTRO until today!

I was just as stressed at this point since I only had a couple and I ended up with 30+ invites, so don't start worrying yet!

Guys don't worry. Last year there were like 1.04 applicants per spot, everyone will do fine. Most attendings are still at ASTRO until today!

Where are you finding this 1.04 number, if I may ask?

Where are you finding this 1.04 number, if I may ask?

I'm feeling mathy, atm.

From the nrmp charting outcomes for 2014:

177 spots were filled, 215 people applied (both us seniors and independent applicants). Works out to 1.2 applicants per spot.

If you don't count independent applicants, there were 188 us seniors for the same 177 spots works out to 1.06 per spot.

Judging by last year's google sheet, the bulk of interviews will come out over the next 2 weeks. For those who've done this process before - any advice about scheduling interviews.
  1. Is the pace of incoming offers hectic (if lucky enough)?
  2. How problematic were scheduling conflicts?
  3. Should you schedule the interview right away?
  4. Should you schedule preferred programs later/earlier?
  5. Is it possible to reschedule an existing interview date if a more preferable interview comes later for the same date?
  6. Any other advice?
Thanks,
FDR

Those "applied" numbers, do they include people who interviewed and ranked rad onc programs or people who merely applied?

I'm feeling mathy, atm.

From the nrmp charting outcomes for 2014:

177 spots were filled, 215 people applied (both us seniors and independent applicants). Works out to 1.2 applicants per spot.

If you don't count independent applicants, there were 188 us seniors for the same 177 spots works out to 1.06 per spot.

Judging by last year's google sheet, the bulk of interviews will come out over the next 2 weeks. For those who've done this process before - any advice about scheduling interviews.
  1. Is the pace of incoming offers hectic (if lucky enough)?
  2. How problematic were scheduling conflicts?
  3. Should you schedule the interview right away?
  4. Should you schedule preferred programs later/earlier?
  5. Is it possible to reschedule an existing interview date if a more preferable interview comes later for the same date?
  6. Any other advice?
Thanks,
FDR

For my n=1
1. It shouldn't be, even if you get a lot.
2. More interviews, more problems. They can be very problematic.
3. Yes. Some places have wait lists and offer more invites than they have spots (think overbooked flights).
4. Doesn't matter. It's usually better to get things scheduled and out of the way so if you get an invite later on it frees up time for new places.
5. Sometimes.
6. A lot of these decisions are gut calls and things you're just going to have to figure out what works best for your situation. Use people you've met hopefully along the way if you run into date conflicts to see what may be in your best interest.

Anyone know how many people applied this year for what number of spots?

Anyone know how many people applied this year for what number of spots?

no way to really know this until the match when they release a PDF listing the number of spots. It seems there are slightly less spots this year because multiple places aren't taking one this year. Generally most people match due to self-selection of the field.

Looks like there are at least 202 applicants this season. likely a couple more.

Won't know for a while how many total spots there end up being. The Google Doc is still unfilled for number of spots for some programs

What kind of message did Thomas Jefferson send out which spawned this new Waitlist/"Top" Waitlist column? I didn't apply there and am really curious.

Last year they waitlisted a ton of people and some received a waitlist email which said "top of waitlist". A few got off the "top" to receive an interview.

I know this post is so redundant but would really appreciate some feedback. I have only 3 interview invites at this point in time. With 44/80ish invites out should I start to contact my career counselor and be worried about not matching?

Thanks for the input lets hope this week is a big one for both of us.

I know this post is so redundant but would really appreciate some feedback. I have only 3 interview invites at this point in time. With 44/80ish invites out should I start to contact my career counselor and be worried about not matching?
Feeling the same way (3 so far).

Just went back and checked - I had 4 interviews by the end of October and I ended up getting like 22