***2015-2016 MD/PhD General Discussion***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Really wishing there was a resource for gaining the "inside scoop" on faculty who are good mentors/accepting students in my fields of interest at the schools to which I've applied (in lieu of the time-intensive methods of hunting down students who have worked with faculty etc...). I guess I mean a "rate my professors" for research....(a part of me cringes to admit this, having been an ochem lecturer and PI myself...yikes!)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Really wishing there was a resource for gaining the "inside scoop" on faculty who are good mentors/accepting students in my fields of interest at the schools to which I've applied (in lieu of the time-intensive methods of hunting down students who have worked with faculty etc...). I guess I mean a "rate my professors" for research....(a part of me cringes to admit this, having been an ochem lecturer and PI myself...yikes!)
You've been a PI? How??

You've been a PI? How??

I'm older, I run my own clinical/translational lab (I'm a paid research director in a hospital, so it's my job)...

EDIT: interest in MSTP stems from need for additional training in my chosen field (read: shift in focus toward basic immunology, as I'm quite rusty).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Then why the f*** are you applying for MSTP?

Need additional wetlab training in chosen field; feel dual-degree pathway ideal in receiving training for chosen profession as physician scientist. I can also manage to get my research lab skills up to bar using alternate methods after med school (research year, K grant, etc), but feel the physician scientist faces challenges specific for the field which the dual-degree pathway is ideal at addressing.

Need additional wetlab training in chosen field; feel dual-degree pathway ideal in receiving training for chosen profession as physician scientist. I can also manage to get my research lab skills up to bar using alternate methods after med school (research year, K grant, etc), but feel the physician scientist faces challenges specific for the field which the dual-degree pathway is ideal at addressing.
So you're seriously looking at giving up the next 12 to 16 years of your life to wind up more or less exactly where you are (or at least claim to be) right now?

Good luck and godspeed you crazy bastard.

So you're seriously looking at giving up the next 12 to 16 years of your life to wind up more or less exactly where you are (or at least claim to be) right now?

Good luck and godspeed you crazy bastard.

Well, [same place] but with the MD (I want an academic practice, which I don't have at the moment)... And I've been called worse. And thanks! At my age, Godspeed is ideal!

Also, I figured the confabulation was mostly a pre-allo phenomenon and less a pre-MSTP phenomenon, but then again, it wouldn't be the first time I'd be wrong. In either case, my current post sounds more impressive than it is...

+1 on UCSF silence. I guess I'm holding out hope for just this one cause its such a dream but feels stupid

+1 on UCSF silence. I guess I'm holding out hope for just this one cause its such a dream but feels stupid
Don't feel stupid -- in spite of the information we got from @Sreltraln regarding Michigan being done giving out their IIs, I am still secretly harboring some hope that they will call at the last minute and ask me to interview in January! I don't think there is anything wrong with a little hope (even if it is a long shot, who knows) ;)

Reactions: 1 users
Put on post-II hold by Vandy this morning... Anyone else heard anything?

Hopefully this week brings about some positive news! Happy new year, all!

Reactions: 4 users
anyone that is interviewing/has interviewed for MSTP at Indiana University know when we can expect to hear back regarding our admission status?

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone that is interviewing/has interviewed for MSTP at Indiana University know when we can expect to hear back regarding our admission status?
I thought they said 1-2 months, not sure though!

2 more months until "early March"... Happy happy 2016 y'all!!!1111!!1!1!
+pity+:bang::boom:

But seriously, we can do this.

anyone know what the UNC MSTP interview is like? The email outlines: Sat student gathering, Sunday brunch, and Monday interviews, but doesn't elaborate on what the Monday day entails. Is there a chalk-talk? A group interview? Several one-on-one interviews? I searched SDN but to no avail-- any insight is much appreciated.

Ah, the interviews are getting back into gear after the holiday break. I wish I could be of some help for you, @ImmunoLove . Hopefully somebody knows because a surprise chalk talk is nightmare material.

On the topic of interviews, but somewhat off the topic of this thread: Does anyone have any experience with taking a hanging garment bag as your carry on?

I kind of do, @shady_bb! You are normally allowed one carry on and then one personal item, so I always lug around a small (carry-on) suitcase and then the hanging garment bag as my "personal item." Haven't had a problem yet!

Good luck at UNC, @ImmunoLove -- you'll do great!!

Last edited:
Thanks @starfun21 !
@shady_bb, starfun21 is right (you're allowed one carry-on and one personal item). Of note, some airlines (eg. United) count the garment bag as the carry-on item and not as a personal item (I've run into problems at United SFO, but they're sticklers at that terminal, so you might have better luck at other airports).

@shady_bb I flew with American 3x and had a backpack (personal item), carry-on, and my suit in a garment bag with no problems. Airplanes should have a small closet so you can hang your suit, don't put it in the overheads! Usually it's the airport security that will bother you but in case they do, just tell them it's your suit and you don't want it creased, you should be fine.

PS If you're generally asking about putting the suit in a garment bag, I would highly recommend it. I have one that folds in half so it's really easy to carry around and prevents the suit getting creased from stuffing it in your suitcase.

Thank you @starfun21 , @ImmunoLove and @Jelly Bones ! The internet was being very vague about bringing hanging bags on the plane, and I wanted to hear from some people who had done it themselves. Thank you for clearing things up! :)

Thank you @starfun21 , @ImmunoLove and @Jelly Bones ! The internet was being very vague about bringing hanging bags on the plane, and I wanted to hear from some people who had done it themselves. Thank you for clearing things up! :)

Some planes don't have closets (generally all-economy airlines like SW), but beyond that I've only ever encountered a problem once. And if you fold your suit carefully, it will make it through the overhead compartment just fine.

Some planes don't have closets (generally all-economy airlines like SW), but beyond that I've only ever encountered a problem once. And if you fold your suit carefully, it will make it through the overhead compartment just fine.

I fold mind carefully, place in suitcase, and hang it up the minute I'm at the hotel. Wrinkles remove over night, but one can also steam it too (ask hotel, or just shower with suit hung in bathroom).

Does anyone who interviewed at Hopkins remember when they told us we'd hear from them? I can't remember exactly what they said.

Anyone else still waiting on UVA? My portal still has the same application under review status as it had in August (same with Michigan, but since Michigan's last interview date is next week and based on other posts, I've pretty much given up hope there).

@nmusdposter
I'm still waiting on UVA as well. I submitted very late to them though (like the last week), so that might have something to do with it but I don't know.
They do have quite a few interview dates coming up so I think there's still hope. :)

@nmusdposter
I'm still waiting on UVA as well. I submitted very late to them though (like the last week), so that might have something to do with it but I don't know.
They do have quite a few interview dates coming up so I think there's still hope. :)

Still waiting and hoping as well...

Anyone still waiting on Duke? I know it's likely a rejection at this point, but their website says "All applicants will be notified by the end of the first week of January as to whether or not they are invited to interview with Duke MSTP." and I just want to know!

Anyone still waiting on Duke? I know it's likely a rejection at this point, but their website says "All applicants will be notified by the end of the first week of January as to whether or not they are invited to interview with Duke MSTP." and I just want to know!
Was this an update ? I thought it use to say December 5

If anybody is curious, Northwestern has given out all interviews but is waiting to notify just in case some applicants cancel. Conversely, Case Western is still sending out interview invites.

If anybody is curious, Northwestern has given out all interviews but is waiting to notify just in case some applicants cancel. Conversely, Case Western is still sending out interview invites.
How do you know about Case? did you call? thanks for the info!

Any idea when northwestern will release the bulk of their decisions.

@ishuman @shh-pthway I couldn't handle it anymore, and I called Duke. The lady I talked to was incredibly nice. Basically, they are behind and they ARE still giving out interview invites for the February date.. so there's still hope!

EDIT: I just realized a February date isn't even listed on their site, so they must have added one?

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
@ishuman @shh-pthway I couldn't handle it anymore, and I called Duke. The lady I talked to was incredibly nice. Basically, they are behind and they ARE still giving out interview invites for the February date.. so there's still hope!
She was incredibly nice to me too when I called a few weeks back! Fingers crossed for everyone here

Anyone know when Vanderbilt is sending out their last II?

Oh shoooot I didn't discover this thread until now. Hoppin' aboard the train a little late but hang in there everyone!!

Reactions: 3 users