2015-2016 Official Psychology Ph.D./PsyD Interview Invite Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
School Name: University of New Mexico
Date Interview Invite Received: 1/18/2016
Degree: PhD
Type: Clinical
Notified via: Email
Interview Date: Phone interview 1/21, will update post if I learn about in-person interview dates invitation-only open house is tentatively scheduled for around 2/19

Edit: Added open house details.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
School Name: University of New Mexico
Date Interview Invite Received: 1/18/16
Type: Clinical Psychology
Interview Date: Phone Interview next week

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone heard anything from University of Denver PsyD? I see a post on Grad Cafe so I'm thinking the invitations may be starting.

Members don't see this ad :)
School Name: UCLA
Date Interview Invite Received: 1/19/16
Notified via: Phone
Interview Date: 2/4-2/6

To those who posted about interviews at University of Memphis or Saint Louis University can you please PM me your POI! :)

School Name: University of Maryland - Baltimore County (UMBC)
Date Interview Invite Received: 1/15/16
Type: Clinical Psychology (HSSP)
Interview Date: 2/19/2016
Additional Info: Social event the evening before. Also mentioned possibility of phone/Skype interview if travel can not be arranged

Do you and PMing me your POI?

School Name: University of Colorado - Denver
Type: Clinical Health Psychology
Interview Date: 2/5/16 or 2/19/16
Additional Info: Interview all day Friday, arrive Thursday, do not depart prior to 7pm Friday

Has anyone heard from the Clinical Child Program at WVU? I saw on grad cafe some invites went out, but no specifics

Can anyone that has heard from U of Maryland please PM me your POI. I'm waiting to hear from them as well. Thanks! :)

School Name: University of Virginia
Date Interview Invite Received: 1/20/16
Type: Clinical Psychology, Curry School of Education
Interview Date: 2/5/16 or 2/12/16
Additional Info: Interview from 8:30am-3pm, breakfast and lunch provided; optional dinner night before interview; possible overnight accommodation with current grad students

Last edited:

Do you mind PM-ing me your POI? And do you by any chance know if all of these calls were done by yesterday?

I just called Georgia State, East Carolina, and UF.

Georgia State reports they have 'likely' sent all invites.
East Carolina is in the process of sending invites right now.
UF hasn't sent clinical invites, they will be out next week/week after.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! Was it UVA GSAS or Curry School of Ed?

School Name: University of Virginia
Interview Date: 2/5/16 or 2/12/16
Additional Info: Interview from 8:30am-3pm, breakfast and lunch provided; optional dinner night before interview; possible overnight accommodation with current grad students

More so a question to the current PhD students in Psychology (since a lot of us are still waiting to hear back for interviews) - I'm wondering if you guys mind sharing how many schools you applied to, how many interviews you got, and how many acceptances? I just can't help but wonder! It won't change anything for the final results... but maybe will help ease my very, very tense anxiety!!

School Name: University of Utah
Interview Date: 2/19/16
Additional Info: Social event the night before with current graduate students. Lodging available with graduate students.

School Name: University of Southern Mississippi
Notified via: phone call
Interview Date: 2/11 or 2/12
Additional Info:

More so a question to the current PhD students in Psychology (since a lot of us are still waiting to hear back for interviews) - I'm wondering if you guys mind sharing how many schools you applied to, how many interviews you got, and how many acceptances? I just can't help but wonder! It won't change anything for the final results... but maybe will help ease my very, very tense anxiety!!

I participated in one application cycle, and I applied to 12 schools, got 2 interviews, one waitlist, and one acceptance

Last edited:

I completed my degree several years ago, so this may be somewhat dated information.

FWIW-
Applications: 17
Interviews: 11 in person, 1 telephone
Offers: 9

Do you mind PMing me your POI? Thanks!

I just called Georgia State, East Carolina, and UF.

Georgia State reports they have 'likely' sent all invites.
East Carolina is in the process of sending invites right now.
UF hasn't sent clinical invites, they will be out next week/week after.

Is that clinical for Georgia?

Also, has anyone heard from Kent State clinical?

Anyone heard anything from Rutgers Clinical PhD? Just saw something on TGC results

Those are stellar stats but aren't you a bit of an anomoly? Or are you one of the unicorns :)

I completed my degree several years ago, so this may be somewhat dated information.

FWIW-
Applications: 17
Interviews: 11 in person, 1 telephone
Offers: 9

School Name: Loma Linda University
Interview Date: 2/22/16
Additional Info: Must bring or turn in questionnaire prior to interview, which is attached to the email

8 applications. 3 interviews. 1 wait list, 2 acceptances.

School Name: Pacific University
Interview Date: 2/19/16
Additional Info: Interview day goes from 8:45-4, will have two 15 minute interviews with faculty

School Name: University of Rhode Island
Date Interview Invite Received: 1/19/2016
Degree
: PhD
Track: n/a
Notified via:Email
Interview Date: 2/15/2016
Additional Info:
social event with current graduate students the night before, limited lodging available

9 applications, 2 interviews, 1 early offer and it was my top so I pulled myself from consideration at the other university at which I interviewed. I was also contacted by a 3rd school late, March I think, but I was already content with the offer I had accepted.

Keep the hope alive!

School Name: Georgia State University
Date Interview Invite Received: 1/21/2016
Type: Counseling
Interview Date: 2/22/2016
Additional Info: More details to come

Reactions: 1 users
Has anybody heard from UNC- Chapel Hill yet? Last week their website said that interview offers would go out on 1/22 but now their website states that all interview offers have been extended. I haven't seen anybody post about receiving an offer (only a rejection on TGC) so I was just wondering if I should cross them off my list of possible interviews or still hold hope

Has anybody heard from UNC- Chapel Hill yet? Last week their website said that interview offers would go out on 1/22 but now their website states that all interview offers have been extended. I haven't seen anybody post about receiving an offer (only a rejection on TGC) so I was just wondering if I should cross them off my list of possible interviews or still hold hope
I did receive an invite from my poi last week. Interview 2/12

Anybody heard from Minnesota- Twin Cities clinical? Saw on TGC that someone was told by an admissions person that all interview invites were out, but as far as I know, Minnesota doesn't traditionally do an interview weekend, just a visiting weekend for accepted students. Does this mean all phone interviews are out and I should cross them off my list?

Minnesota doesn't traditionally do an interview weekend, just a visiting weekend for accepted students.

This is not correct. The Minnesota clinical program does have a traditional interview weekend.

As far as I know, the other MN psychology departments (quant, counseling,, etc.) have "visiting weekends" instead. But for clinical, there is an in-person interview.

School Name: University of Rhode Island
Date Interview Invite Received: 1/19/2016
Degree
: PhD
Interview Date: 2/15/2016
Additional Info:
social event with current graduate students the night before, limited lodging available
Do you know if all of the invites went out?

School Name: Boston University
Interview Date: 2/26/2016, current student meet-and-greet the evening prior
Additional Info: Follow up email to be sent next week

School Name: Boston University
Interview Date: 2/26/2016, current student meet-and-greet the evening prior
Additional Info: Follow up email to be sent next week

Congratulations! Would you mind PM'ing your POI or do you happen to know if all the invites were already sent out?

Hey all! I don't know if this goes here but I thought I would ask anyway. I have an interview with one of my top choice Clinical programs. I applied to work with two POIs, but when I got my interview invitation I assumed I would be interviewing with only one of them. However, I received my full schedule for the interview day and I'm interviewing with both POIs back to back. It kind of threw me off, especially considering this my first interview ever. Is this usual? I have other interviews where I applied to work with more than 1 POI so I just want to know if I should keep an eye out for that in future situations.

It depends. For one school I'm interviewing at, I was told that I'm definitely interviewing with my first choice, and I might be able to "drop by" to see my second choice if there's time. For another school, I was explicitly told that I'm interviewing with 2 faculty (likely back to back, but it's a Skype interview so I'm not sure).

Hey all! I don't know if this goes here but I thought I would ask anyway. I have an interview with one of my top choice Clinical programs. I applied to work with two POIs, but when I got my interview invitation I assumed I would be interviewing with only one of them. However, I received my full schedule for the interview day and I'm interviewing with both POIs back to back. It kind of threw me off, especially considering this my first interview ever. Is this usual? I have other interviews where I applied to work with more than 1 POI so I just want to know if I should keep an eye out for that in future situations.
Ole Miss asks for three professors with whom you would like to interview. I believe you meet with all three.

You are interviewing them as much as they are interviewing you.

Perhaps you go and dislike one of them on an interpersonal level, and you would only want to work with the other.

This is your chance to get a feel for who you want to spend several years working with.

School Name: VCU
Date Interview Invite Received: 1/12/2016
program assistant
Interview Date: 1/22/2016 with current student potluck the night before
Additional Info: I ended up interviewing yesterday because things were moved around due to a snow storm

School Name: University of Maryland Baltimore County
Date Interview Invite Received: 1/12/2016
Track: HSP
Interview Date: 2/19/2016, current student meet-and-greet the evening prior
Additional Info: Follow up email to be sent later by program coordinator

School Name: Catholic University
Date Interview Invite Received: 1/14/2016
Track: children and families concentration
Interview Date: 1/29/2016, current student meet-and-greet the evening prior
Additional Info: Follow up email to be sent later. Gave me a choice between 1/29 and 2/5

School Name: Howard University
Date Interview Invite Received: 1/15/2016
Interview Date: 2/5/2016
Additional Info: Follow up email with outline details sent the next day

Reactions: 4 users
Received an email from UF stating that I am an alternate for admission, and may be extended a formal invite for interviews. Crossing my fingers for an update with good news in the coming weeks! The interview weekend is 19-20 February :)

By the by, does anyone know if alternate for admission means just that, or is it simply an alternate for an interview?

Received an email from UF stating that I am an alternate for admission, and may be extended a formal invite for interviews. Crossing my fingers for an update with good news in the coming weeks! The interview weekend is 19-20 February :)

By the by, does anyone know if alternate for admission means just that, or is it simply an alternate for an interview?

I got the same feedback - Im thinking its an alternate for an interview as some people decline their invites so maybe there's still room for good news!