2015-2016 panic thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SuperSlim

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thought I would start it off.... Cause I'm panicking !!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Complete Early mid July at most schools. MD cycle is as follows: 4 Rejections, 2 Hold.

It is now September 30th lol

giphy.gif

Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Complete mid August at most late August for several schools. One ii, one hold.

I looked at previous threads of my state school and ppl who applied as late as me didn't do too well. I'm starting to think that I'll get rejected from my state school... F my state.

isn't every thread a panic thread

Reactions: 38 users
I was thinking today, what if I convinced my parents to buy a small apartment in Texas so I can claim Texas residency and apply to Texas schools...........

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Only one interview invite that came in late july. Nothing but rejections since then. My bro who has similar stats and is applying the same cycle has a ton of interview invites so theres that too. Every morning when I wake up, I check my phone to see if I got another interview and its always a no. I'm definitely panicking too.

Only one interview invite that came in late july. Nothing but rejections since then. My bro who has similar stats and is applying the same cycle has a ton of interview invites so theres that too. Every morning when I wake up, I check my phone to see if I got another interview and its always a no. I'm definitely panicking too.
Are you guys twins lol? Same list of schools? This would be so disheartening if he was younger too

I totally expected to open this thread and just see a bunch of posts that read like:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAJVASIHGIOQWAIEJVA:VA!!!!!!!!
Beaker_zpswn4txfwg.gif

Reactions: 12 users
Is irrational panic welcome here too? *hopes* I have random moments of sheer panic, then other moments of zen and hope. Alternates multiple times a day..

Reactions: 2 users
Is irrational panic welcome here too? *hopes* I have random moments of sheer panic, then other moments of zen and hope. Alternates multiple times a day..

Lol this happens to me too! I'm more zen like in the morning then when It gets dark aka around 5pm east coast which means most schools offices close for the day and I haven't recieved any emails I begin to panic.

Lol this happens to me too! I'm more zen like in the morning then when It gets dark aka around 5pm east coast which means most schools offices close for the day and I haven't recieved any emails I begin to panic.

yeah Im on the west coast so I get kinda depressed when I look at my watch and realize its 2pm here (5pm east coast) and no one has sent me any invites D:

Are you guys twins lol? Same list of schools? This would be so disheartening if he was younger too
yeah pretty much same school lists, similar gpa's mcat scores differ by 1 pt. Not twins though, he just isnt doing gap year

yeah Im on the west coast so I get kinda depressed when I look at my watch and realize its 2pm here (5pm east coast) and no one has sent me any invites D:

On the flipside, I wake up excited each morning to check my email in hopes I got an II. Optimism!

Although, as a CA applicant, sometimes I look at my spreadsheet and see only one CA MD has shown me love, I die a little inside.

Got like 10 rejections this week alone.
One of the schools I'm interviewing at has a 15% acceptance rate OOS POST INTERVIEW (**** my life) so I'm gonna join in on the panic!

Well at least you got some California MD school interviews. How did your two California interviews go?

One of the schools I'm interviewing at has a 15% acceptance rate OOS POST INTERVIEW (**** my life) so I'm gonna join in on the panic!

Are you adding DO schools now? Or nah

Edit: this guy........

Last edited:

well then you gotta nail that interview then!

Which school with the 15%?

The U. Last year, interviewed 209 OOS and accepted 33. Yeeeeeeaaaahhh, not feeling too great about my chances here. But still extremely grateful to have gotten an interview!

One schools I interviewed at said that they will be contacting us directly on October 15th to let us know if we were accepted or not, as that is the first day they are legally allowed to tell us. If this ends up as a rejection, I'll be applying DO.

Pretty well I think! Still waiting on one more. I thought the interview went great, now I'm just hoping they are willing to look past the atrocious MCAT score and offer me an acceptance. Hopefully it works out. Fingers crossed for the 15th!

Thanks! Though, its super hard to tell what a school that only accepts 15% of people it interviews is looking for hah
Ah I feel you. Interviewed at WVU today, they they interview like 500 OOS for 50ish spots haha, and we won't hear back until May!

The U. Last year, interviewed 209 OOS and accepted 33. Yeeeeeeaaaahhh, not feeling too great about my chances here. But still extremely grateful to have gotten an interview!
I'm genuinely curious as to why schools would interview so many people for so few slots? Not to de-rail the thread, but to me it seems like a waste of time and money for both the interviewees and the school? I didn't know schools had such low acceptance rates post-interview.

Also tossing my hat in the panic ring with one II and silence from every other school i applied to. Been complete at most schools since August (basically put in all my secondaries throughout the month so its a bit spread out). I read from other threads that "Applicants shouldn't worry until October" and I've been using that to keep myself from getting too depressed and down. BUT NOW ITS OCTOBER ON THE EAST COAST and I no longer have the wisdom of SDN adcoms to keep me sane. +pissed+

I'm genuinely curious as to why schools would interview so many people for so few slots? Not to de-rail the thread, but to me it seems like a waste of time and money for both the interviewees and the school? I didn't know schools had such low acceptance rates post-interview.

Also tossing my hat in the panic ring with one II and silence from every other school i applied to. Been complete at most schools since August (basically put in all my secondaries throughout the month so its a bit spread out). I read from other threads that "Applicants shouldn't worry until October" and I've been using that to keep myself from getting too depressed and down. BUT NOW ITS OCTOBER ON THE EAST COAST and I no longer have the wisdom of SDN adcoms to keep me sane. +pissed+
It depends on the school, but usually they know how many people they need to interview to fill the slots. At schools like this or WVU, many of the OOS applicants end up withdrawing due to other acceptances.

1 interview invite, 3 rejections, and the rest are holds or silences. Unfortunately the school I interviewed at wait lists everyone until April or May :scared:.

The more I think about my interview the more I remember saying dumb stuff and realizing that I totally messed it up. Doesn't help that I'm not getting any new IIs at the moment. Am I going to have to be a third time applicant? Will my MCAT still be valid?

Reactions: 7 users
I haven't heard anything back. Had 4 done mid August and rest first week of September

Those of you panicking with IIs are ridiculous. At least you already have proof you're competitive. All I have to show for it is a secondary from Hofstra and their low cutoffs.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
The more I think about my interview the more I remember saying dumb stuff and realizing that I totally messed it up. Doesn't help that I'm not getting any new IIs at the moment. Am I going to have to be a third time applicant? Will my MCAT still be valid?

Same! I alternate between thinking I did pretty well in my interviews (at least, I feel like I came across exactly how I wanted to) and getting super hung up on certain answers/gestures I may have said.

Reactions: 7 users
Going to Utah would be amazing since I live on the west coast and have lots of family here, but getting accepted will be the biggest challenge. A quote from the school specific thread was that it is "more homogenous than Nazi Germany" which isn't very reassuring for an ORM Asian haha.

pZ7mEID.jpg

Srs question, is it unethical to spend the next 4 weeks memorizing a Mormon textbook and pretend to be a Mormon for my interview? And then just happen to pretend I converted back 6 months later? Hahaha

My mom told me that in hong kong there is a surprising amount of chinese Mormons. Its kind of weird I guess but plausible.

So6sJg0.jpg

Man you guys with IIs don't know my level of panic. I'm so panic-ed, I've become un-panic-ed. I shall savor my upcoming rejections for they shall end my agony.

I've been very lucky with II's so far but I still panic. The only school that I really liked at interview day is one of the most expensive in the country and uses the waitlist for 75% of interviewees. Found out (at interview day) that my state school is going through a curriculum change that is so drastic that it fell to my last choice med school. Starting to panic that I'll either be in a curriculum that won't prepare me for boards or $400k in debt. Or rejected from everywhere lol.

There are just too many qualified applicants and not enough seats.

Last night, I had a dream that I got seven rejection emails at once :bang:. Then I got woken up by a fire alarm going off in my dorm, and instead of evacuating I quickly rushed to my computer to make sure the rejection emails were a dream.

Reactions: 20 users
Applied to 30+ MD/PhD programs. 3 II so far, 6 rejections. I thought I was doing fine until people started talking about how you need 5-8 II's by this point to really be competitive. I've felt my neuroticism level rising all morning.

Applied to 30+ MD/PhD programs. 3 II so far, 6 rejections. I thought I was doing fine until people started talking about how you need 5-8 II's by this point to really be competitive. I've felt my neuroticism level rising all morning.

are post interview acceptance rates worse for md/phd or mstp programs? I mean more II is better but why is it a different situation than normal md

are post interview acceptance rates worse for md/phd or mstp programs? I mean more II is better but why is it a different situation than normal md

Well you know how its impossible to get into even 1 MD school? Well its even more impossible to get into a MD/Phd program. So every step of the MD/Phd program applications is even worse than the MD application process.

Well you know how its impossible to get into even 1 MD school? Well its even more impossible to get into a MD/Phd program. So every step of the MD/Phd program applications is even worse than the MD application process.

well yeah its hard but I thought out of interview its still like a 1/3 break to get an acceptance (some md classes have worse breaks out of interview like 1/5 or 1/6). There are fewer mstp seats but also fewer applicants compared to normal md classes

I can't speak for MD-only programs because I haven't looked into it, but I think MD/PhD post-interview acceptance rates tend to be between about 20-40%. And I wouldn't say the process is necessarily "worse", just different. You don't need as much clinical experience, but you need extensive research. And as for the interviews themselves, what I've heard (and this is backed up by my n=1 experience at the only interview I've been to so far) is that the interviews are much more conversational, and to a certain extent they are recruiting you as much as you are "recruiting" them.

Trust me man, I have the same question. I just spent 400 dollars on a plane ticket + car rental for an 85% chance of getting rejected lol. And obviously, I can't just not attend because the only thing worse than 15%.....is 0%. So yeah, frustrating to say the least. Going to Utah would be amazing since I live on the west coast and have lots of family here, but getting accepted will be the biggest challenge. A quote from the school specific thread was that it is "more homogenous than Nazi Germany" which isn't very reassuring for an ORM Asian haha

At Utah, they interviewed 209, accepted 33, and matriculated 19 last year.
Utah & SE Idaho have like 0 diversity other than a Native population (even they get diluted out very easily) and immigrant workers on the farms. Religion saturation is a big thing too.

Keep your head high!

Is it just me or has this week been really quiet? Seems like not many schools are giving out II/rejecting people... (at least from the threads I'm watching)

Reactions: 3 users
Is it just me or has this week been really quiet? Seems like not many schools are giving out II/rejecting people... (at least from the threads I'm watching)

That's what I was thinking too...I was about to panic from the silence until I checked my email and realized I had news last week so I'm just being entitled haha :X

Was a very quiet week.