2015-2016 panic thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Eh, thats what I thought too. But this cycle is making apparent how large of an emphasis MD schools place on the MCAT.

Definitely. Sometimes it seems like a good MCAT can replace the void of lacking ECs, but superb ECs might not be able to supplement a lower MCAT score. I guess each school is different in this regard, however.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I really disagree, n=1 here but I was so stoked to get a good MCAT score. Submitted to places early/mid August and I know I've been passed over at multiple schools where I was well above the median MCAT. Kinda sucks because I don't know where the problem is in my app. Either I particularly suck at writing essays or its a EC/LOR issue.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone else feel like the school specific forums have been quiet lately? Maybe it's just the schools I applied to, but I've been seeing so few posts about IIs... *continues to neurotically refresh email*

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think a lot of schools may be holding off on a second wave of IIs until after the 15th or even end of October. I'm sure a good amount of people with like... 10 IIs will cancel many of them once they gain acceptance to one of their top choices.

Reactions: 6 users
Does anyone else feel like the school specific forums have been quiet lately? Maybe it's just the schools I applied to, but I've been seeing so few posts about IIs... *continues to neurotically refresh email*
Yea I feel the same way! I constantly check my email and SDN just to see if anyone got any news about anything but it's been so quiet lately.

I think a lot of schools may be holding off on a second wave of IIs until after the 15th or even end of October. I'm sure a good amount of people with like... 10 IIs will cancel many of them once they gain acceptance to one of their top choices.
Fingers crossed that this is the case!!

But on the plus side, October 15th is only 8 days away!

That's a really interesting theory! My top OOS school is supposed to give a response by Oct 15, and it's true that if I do manage to get accepted, I'd be sorely tempted to cancel some of my upcoming IIs. Except that I've already booked a flight...and another one is being used as an excuse to visit a college friend from awhile back.

This is a very reasonable and likely explanation.

Reactions: 2 users

Interesting theory, I hope this is true! I just want an II at my state school...I feel like with my stats, that's not so much to ask. But then again, I did just discover last night that I forgot to declare Illinois as my legal state of residence on my AMCAS. Talk about panic lol.

I hope you are right.

I got another hold so idk whether to be sad or just happy its not a rejection

Panic is setting in for realz now. Looking at SDN makes me worry that I didn't apply to enough schools! I only applied to 15 (and I've received 1 II, 1 hold, and 2 rejections...). But honestly, it would have been a struggle to afford any more app fees. Majorly frustrating.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am now panicking about October 15th. But I also feel very grateful because I never imagined that I would be in a position to be panicking about October 15th, I assumed I wouldn't interview until much later in the cycle.

Reactions: 4 users
I have a pretty low MCAT and got an II this cycle, beyond grateful! The voodoo magic that happens behind those doors is beyond me. However if you are above a schools cutoff, all bets are off and it just takes time to review all the applications.

Also remember guys, it only takes one II to get one acceptance! Just one.

That would be awesome, things have been quiet the past couple of weeks. I will definitely free up an interview for someone at the end of the month if I am accepted this week. (I hope others follow me in that movement to be considerate to fellow applicants haha).

I am now panicking about October 15th. But I also feel very grateful because I never imagined that I would be in a position to be panicking about October 15th, I assumed I wouldn't interview until much later in the cycle.

I think I wouldn't be panicking so hard if my top OOS school and one of my dream schools hadn't interviewed me in September. Like, if it were the other schools, I probably wouldn't be freaking out so much

I think I wouldn't be panicking so hard if my top OOS school and one of my dream schools hadn't interviewed me in September. Like, if it were the other schools, I probably wouldn't be freaking out so much

I have heard the same exact thing from one or two other applicants. I interviewed at my top choices early on, got their first rounds of II's despite my GPA being just below their average and MCAT hovering their average. I guess holistic review is really becoming a thing this cycle :shrug:

I would agree with this. It appears at least from where I interviewed that they expend a great amount of time and energy into doling out II's. From there its just a matter of seeing how well you fit with their school.

Yeah I got an II for my top choice in early September, GPA is above average but MCAT is 2-3 points below and definitely waaaay below the average hours of research. Guess the whole "fit" thing really is important.

Panic is setting in for realz now. Looking at SDN makes me worry that I didn't apply to enough schools! I only applied to 14 (and I've received 1 II, 1 hold, and 2 rejections...). But honestly, it would have been a struggle to afford any more app fees. Majorly frustrating.
Same here, I applied to a similar amount of schools and am hoping that it's enough for me.

Guys, I think this date is stressing me out to the point that I'm breaking out in zits everywhere! They're the really big, red, hard, painful ones too...I hope they go away soon in time for interviews T_T.

If only I had the $$ for a derm :p

Guys, I think this date is stressing me out to the point that I'm breaking out in zits everywhere! They're the really big, red, hard, painful ones too...I hope they go away soon in time for interviews T_T.

If only I had the $$ for a derm :p
I was about to give medical advice ...

Yeah, I've been panicking myself.
I only got my mcat in august, so I applied late august/early-mid September and it's been silence all the way ( and not only in the ER) haha. I can't tell if I've been silent rejected or they just haven't gotten to my app. I would also add that I have a decent to mid MCAT ( by sdn standards) and yet I've not gotten much love. I was panicking so hard, I called my IS school today and asked them what was going on with my app. The lady was very nice and told me I should hear within 10 days, keeping my fingers crossed.

I do think that med schools are waiting to see who accepts them from their tier 1 applicants before they offer interviews to the rest of us. I keep praying to get lucky.

However, I have decided to throw 4 D.O. apps if I don't hear from anyone by the end of the week.

I was about to give medical advice ...

Well..back when I was 12-13 I had some pretty severe acne and parents actually took me to a derm. She gave me this shot on each big zit that worked wonders....the huge, painful zits went away in like 3 hours!!! I could use some of that right now :(

Well..back when I was 12-13 I had some pretty severe acne and parents actually took me to a derm. She gave me this shot on each big zit that worked wonders....the huge, painful zits went away in like 3 hours!!! I could use some of that right now :(

Oh my God...why did no one ever do this for me!? I tried every medication/cream in existence including accutane, and nothing worked! I had horrible acne for like six years. Thank God I now have perfect skin thanks to the wonder drug Spironolactone. But now I'm upset that no one ever tried this shot thing for me.

Being complete since mid-August and hearing complete silence from schools that send rejections is very unnerving and forces me into a panic. If they are going to reject me then reject me, better yet if you've been sitting on me that long send me a darn II already.

Checking in

Got accepted to DO school. Prob will withdraw from the 2 other DO schools I applied too. I have to make a 500 dollar deposit by mid December.

Interview at MD school in two weeks. Hoping they accept me before mid December.

1 hold (most likely rejection)

16 other schools dead silent. State school is giving me middle finger probably lol.

State school is giving me middle finger probably lol.

I'm probably in the doghouse, too. I completed their 2ndary before they even sent me an email "inviting me" to complete it (because their secondary can be publicly accessed and after I submitted AMCAS I saw on the school thread that other people had already received the email with the link to the secondary (within the first week when AMCAS opened), so I Googled the secondary for this school and it took me to the public page (the email sent later would direct me to the same place). I filled it out, paid, and submitted. Then over a month later I get the email from the school. I call up the admissions office, and I'm forced to use my name, asking if they received my secondary even though I wasn't invited to complete it at the time that I did.

Whoops.

Nvm I got word today that my app says interview invite for my state school, just haven't received email yet.

Checking in

Got accepted to DO school. Prob will withdraw from the 2 other DO schools I applied too. I have to make a 500 dollar deposit by mid December.

Interview at MD school in two weeks. Hoping they accept me before mid December.

1 hold (most likely rejection)

16 other schools dead silent. State school is giving me middle finger probably lol.

congrats future Dr. SuperSlim.

Heh, out here in California, the state schools give us all the middle finger.

congrats future Dr. SuperSlim.

Heh, out here in California, the state schools give us all the middle finger.

Appreciate it!

Yea cali sucks, and all the public schools are top programs too!

The only early MD interview I had doesn't seem to give out decisions before ~10/25, based on the school specific threads from 2011-2014. Merp.

1 II, 1 Rejection, 20+ silence .. little nerve wracking.

I've been far too apathetic this cycle...So I thought I'd join in on the neuroticism. So far...2 II from state schools...1 hold..and 13 nothing's. Oh no...13 nothing's? And its october? And 2 days from now is Friday the 16th? 16-(2 II + 1 hold) = 13!!! Illuminati confirmed, panic!!!!

hearing from others that October 15th will be a time when one might get II's. prayin and waitin.

Not panicking yet (getting close) but am already hunting dow
Interesting theory, I hope this is true! I just want an II at my state school...I feel like with my stats, that's not so much to ask. But then again, I did just discover last night that I forgot to declare Illinois as my legal state of residence on my AMCAS. Talk about panic lol.

Seriously one of my state schools is seriously dragging their feet

I was finished with secondaries in late August. 1 II. 3 Rejections. 40+ silence?

Is that last part good or bad??

Alright you crazies, I've just been telling myself "no news is good news"! Because if you haven't been rejected yet, chances are that they just haven't gotten around to evaluating your application, especially if you were complete at schools around August. I'm thinking a lot of people will hear back within the next couple weeks, but that's just my guess! I got a II invite today, but I had radio silence from all the other schools I applied to besides my state school.

Not sure if this is panic worthy, but I was waitlisted at my top OOS choice school yesterday and spent all day moping/sulking. I TOLD myself to move on today and get going with my life, which I'm doing, but I still feel depressed. :( Getting out of bed was really tough today. I'm hoping working out might help but... I just want to curl up in a blanket today again -_-"

Not sure if this is panic worthy, but I was waitlisted at my top OOS choice school yesterday and spent all day moping/sulking. I TOLD myself to move on today and get going with my life, which I'm doing, but I still feel depressed. :( Getting out of bed was really tough today. I'm hoping working out might help but... I just want to curl up in a blanket today again -_-"
I understand that a waitlist is super disappointing, but you still have a shot! I hope you start feeling a little better about it soon.

I totally understand. I was supposed to hear from my first school yesterday as well and they still haven't given me my decision. Yesterday I was anxious but today I'm just depressed, it's 1PM and I can't get out of bed.

Waiting for interviews was stressful, but waiting to get a decision is so, so much worse.

Still 1 rejection 1 II. Most complete August 1-15. Too much silence

When is the panic time for the MD cycle? Early or late November?

I have nothing of life-defining significance to strive for today.

Totally freaking out.